MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

"Halo: The Master Chief Collection is ready to install. This could take a while. We'll let you know when it's ready to play!"

Thanks, MS, how considerate. It's been installing and stuck on 2% for 20 minutes now (this is not hyperbole, it is literal). When, exactly, can I play? In two days? A week??

I recently bought a One and this is the first physical game I've bought. Yet I can't help but feel something is wrong with my system. It cannot possibly take this long to install a game from a DISC. Downloading, OK, my leeway is much greater, but with a disc in the drive I've no idea why this would take hours, much less more than 20 minutes to copy necessary files to the HDD.

Am I doing something wrong? Why in God's name is it taking this long?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

part of the installation involves the download and installment of game updates, if you have a slow internet it could take a while, it might help to log off and install offline to speed it up, then install updates later

I just prefer digital download installation, less hassle and installs in background, plus I prefer not needing to swap discs

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Halo took me an hour and a half.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MirkoS77

@lamprey263 said:

part of the installation involves the download and installment of game updates, if you have a slow internet it could take a while, it might help to log off and install offline to speed it up, then install updates later

I just prefer digital download installation, less hassle and installs in background, plus I prefer not needing to swap discs

Yea I looked online and someone said to cancel install, unplug my ethernet, reboot, start install. That did it. Still took 40 minutes, but it'd would've taken all night otherwise.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@MirkoS77: The installations are incredibly super slow on Xbone. There are some odd "tricks" (like unplugging ethernet, reboot the machine, and wishing upon a star near a four-leaf clover and rabbit's foot) that can make the incredibly super slow install times just become incredibly slow (not super slow, just regular slow). The Xbone will still install slowly, but at least you can speed it up a little, sometimes.

The problem is the way the hardware was built. I learned this the hard way back at launch 2013, but welcome to the club. I always know when a new Xbone owner has entered Gamespot.com because the install questions are among the first to be asked. Don't worry, your machine isn't busted, it's just the way the Xbone is.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lamprey263

@SolidTy: I never had an issue, but I didn't have shit internet either.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidTy

@lamprey263 said:

@SolidTy: I never had an issue, but I didn't have shit internet either.

No, I'm strictly talking about the incredibly slow install times on the Xbone period (The thread title is 'disc installation times'). I didn't even mention the internet as part of my post. The internet slowing the Xbone installs is just an added feature of the Xbone slow install times, but my post isn't about the internet. Having fast internet won't make the Xbone install faster from the disc, it's still incredibly slow. My post is strictly about the slow install times offline. The slow install times are much more apparent over time as you build a library (I've had one since 2013) and the Xbone is slow with a comparison to other devices that also do installs.

The Xbone slow install times has been covered in many threads here though.

I also have incredibly fast internet for a great many years, I was talking install times only. Even M$ has spoken on the subject of their Xbone slow disc install times few times (an article even here at Gamespot.com where Phil Spencer commented on how slow the Xbone install times are). So, while guys like you and I never had internet issues for having speedy internet, we still have slow Xbone install times to deal with out of the box. Having fast internet doesn't make the Xbone disc to machine install faster, unfortunately.

Here's one of probably thousands of videos on the subject (a mix of professional comparison and user comparisons are all over youtube for instance). A few examples in these three links of the industry results, consumer results, and critics comparison results

Here's one site of many that explained it with a video and articles:

Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fscS8iOMenk

Loading Video...

Here's a picture and link you may find interesting.

The picture is about Game Install/Load times on the Xbone. The Xbone slow install times is definitely an issue that Spencer wants to fix.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MirkoS77

@SolidTy: yea after I disconnected from the net my install wasn't all that bad. Took about 40 minutes. Still long, but much more bearable than 1% every 10 minutes. One thing I'll say though, Master Chief Collection is an 80 gig install. 80 GIGS. How that is even permissible, I don't know. That just comes off like laziness instead of good engineering. I also read the interview with Spencer. I could buy that the sudden pulling of always online functionality could screw up installs.

Eh. I'm getting all multi-plats for PS4 anyhow.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy

@MirkoS77 said:

@SolidTy: yea after I disconnected from the net my install wasn't all that bad. Took about 40 minutes. Still long, but much more bearable than 1% every 10 minutes. One thing I'll say though, Master Chief Collection is an 80 gig install. 80 GIGS. How that is even permissible, I don't know. That just comes off like laziness instead of good engineering. I also read the interview with Spencer. I could buy that the sudden pulling of always online functionality could screw up installs.

Eh. I'm getting all multi-plats for PS4 anyhow.

When I installed Halo MCC on Xbone I was prepared for a huge event in installs as previous games had me ready.

I just put the disc in and then went shopping, went out to eat, and by the time I got home it was done. It was quite the game install, 80GB, is nuts, I agree. It's good you read the Spencer article, he seems to want to fix the Install problem eventually, if he can.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lamprey263

@SolidTy:

Actually having fast internet does make the install times much faster, as the biggest hold-up will be any mandatory (and sizable) game updates. But, of course next to the PS4 it's going to look slow. But I'm talking about the people who've take the better half of a day to install their games, that's largely due to internet updates.

Plus it's probably worth noting PS4 games don't actually install that fast, they're just playable quicker because the game installs while it plays. Regardless, it's at a significant advantage in that aspect. I imagine the chief concern is getting into the game as soon as possible.

As far as the Xbox One's limitations go, I'm actually more a fan of digital downloads myself, my reasons aren't fitting for everyone I'm sure, but I never sell my games so going digital only isn't an issue for me. Like I said I don't have an issue downloading them, even large games, plus digital allows me to play anything else on my system be it game or apps while everything is done in the background. I'm sure nothing is more aggravating than being given no choice than looking at an install screen from the dash for hours on end.

MS really needs to develop a better system for disc installs for sure, workarounds can be nipped in the butt by simply updating the system to prioritize disc installation while online updates can be installed after initial installation. If I'm perplexed by anything it's that this hasn't been done yet.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Halo took me an hour and a half.

It took me about 50 mins max.

Myron117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Myron117
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts

Yeah the install times are pathetic. I dont know what the problem is but its embarrassing

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Myron117 said:

Yeah the install times are pathetic. I dont know what the problem is but its embarrassing

how fast is your internet speed.

Myron117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Myron117
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts

@sukraj: 100mb fibre, so i know its not that. Its on the consoles end. Possibly the hdd read/write speed? Or maybe its a coding issue but they need to sort it out!

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#15  Edited By doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

I have a theory here, when Online the Xbox doesn't install games from the disc, it just downloads them from the servers onto your hard drive, hence why when offline the installations are dramatically improved

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

This is the reson I will never go to a midnight release for an Xbox One game.