Connecting 360 to a monitor..not the usual 'What do I need???'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpartanMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 SpartanMonk
Member since 2006 • 147 Posts
I've got a VGA cable, and I was trying to think of a way that I could connect my 360 to my monitor without disconnecting my monitor's VGA cable from the PC first. I remember thatI had an adapter: On end is a white port that looks a little like a VGA port, but it slightly bigger (and white), the other is a VGA port. So I plug the white part into my PC, and I plug my 360 VGA cable into the blue VGA port. My monitor is still connected to the PC via its VGA cable. I go into Control Panel > Networks, but all I can seem to do is share media between my 360 and my PC, not bring my 360 up on screen. Is this possible, and how can I do this?
decilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 decilling
Member since 2005 • 575 Posts
you need a monitor with 2 plugs at the back of it, eg 2 vga ports or 1 vga and one dvi
SpartanMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SpartanMonk

I just realised I have another port, very similar to a VGA port, except when I plugged my monitor into it, nothing happened. If I plugged the 360 into that port, would it work?

SpartanMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpartanMonk

I just realised I have another port, very similar to a VGA port, except when I plugged my monitor into it, nothing happened. If I plugged the 360 into that port, would it work?

SpartanMonk

the second port was in my PC..would it still work? My monitor has a DVI port in it, but the adapter I have wouldn't fir in it properly: some of the small pins on it were slightly diffent. Any help with this would be great.
SpartanMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SpartanMonk

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/images/items/vga-to-dvi.jpg

The adapter is like the left picture on that link, except it doesn't have any pins in the middle, and has one long thin pin on the right, along with a couple of other normal pins. I hope I make sense. Is the adapter in the picture the thing I need?

SpartanMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpartanMonk

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/images/items/vga-to-dvi.jpg

The adapter is like the left picture on that link, except it doesn't have any pins in the middle, and has one long thin pin on the right, along with a couple of other normal pins. I hope I make sense. Is the adapter in the picture the thing I need?

SpartanMonk
Sorry. don't bother, just checked and it matches the DVI port at the back of my PC. All I need to know now is how to get the 360 up on the screen without removing the PC's VGA cable..?
druggyjoe3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 druggyjoe3000
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts
maybe you can get a spliter where you can plug in mutilple ports at once that is all i can think of sorry
wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts
my monitor is not a flat screen,its the old big ones,can i hook it up with a 360?.its 17''
SpartanMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpartanMonk
my monitor is not a flat screen,its the old big ones,can i hook it up with a 360?.its 17''wiistation360
as long as it has a VGA port yes
wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts
[QUOTE="wiistation360"]my monitor is not a flat screen,its the old big ones,can i hook it up with a 360?.its 17''SpartanMonk
as long as it has a VGA port yes

thank you
J_Myster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 J_Myster
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts
You can use a KVM (keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch. You can get one for about 40 bucks. It will allow you to switch between two VGA sources without unplugging
bcardamone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bcardamone
Member since 2003 • 971 Posts

I've got a VGA cable, and I was trying to think of a way that I could connect my 360 to my monitor without disconnecting my monitor's VGA cable from the PC first. I remember thatI had an adapter: On end is a white port that looks a little like a VGA port, but it slightly bigger (and white), the other is a VGA port. So I plug the white part into my PC, and I plug my 360 VGA cable into the blue VGA port. My monitor is still connected to the PC via its VGA cable. I go into Control Panel > Networks, but all I can seem to do is share media between my 360 and my PC, not bring my 360 up on screen. Is this possible, and how can I do this?SpartanMonk

Here's what you need.....

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416907915&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper