Can't Connect to Open NAT (Moderate NAT on Xbox Live)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nuclear94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Nuclear94
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Me and my friends can't play Xbox Live together. We live within 2 miles and have the SAME ISP, but they have Open NAT and I have Moderate NAT.

According to Xbox Live, these two connection types can play together. However, we cannot:

1. Join ANY parties together

2. Play online together

3. Join a session in progress on Call of Duty

It's really frustrating that I pay for this service and it refuses to allow me to play with them despite the fact that we should be able to. I've TRIED fixing this NAT error, and my brother runs our home network. The ISP is Wireless Broadband, so the unit on my roof acts as the router. My friends have a router while I just have an access point and an ethernet switch.

I really would like an explanation on WHY I can't play or do anything with these friends under these conditions. I might understand if I had strict NAT. But I don't and I'm very displeased with Microsoft and their over-priced service. If I go next-gen, I will go PS4. Everything MS sells is over-priced.

Any help would be appreciated.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

do you connect your xbox to your modem directly and still get mod?

If you are using a router you might need to set up a static ip for your console and put it in the dmz though this might be risky.

Most routers let you chose specific ports to leave open for games and stuff but you need to find what ports you might need to have forward to your xbox's static ip. There's a certain range that you need to chose as well as ip are randomly generated by your router you should avoid these because it can cause conflicts. Look for the portfowarding section of your router webpage see what option are available. Though if you do this you might need to change what port are open based on what game you are playing and might become a hassle over time messing around with the setting of your router all the time. Personally i would just get a gaming router they are not very expensive and handle most porfowarding automatically for you in most cases. Good luck by the way yeah go with PS4 next its a great console

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@nuclear94: Is this for 360 or Xbox One?

Nuclear94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Nuclear94
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: Xbox 360

metal_zombie: Based on my setup the receiver on our roof is our router, which apparently we have little to no control over. That almost constitutes calling the ISP. However, the guy running it is a real pain in the rear end. He doesn't like to answer calls, much less emails. If I didn't already state it, my brother is looking to setup and start his own service.

The question then becomes, if these NAT readings are right according to Microsoft, how come I can't connect to this player whatsoever?

So this is how it is setup:

Roof Unit > Ethernet Switch > Wireless Access Point

The Xbox is connected through Ethernet

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

@nuclear94 said:

@Alucard_Prime: Xbox 360

metal_zombie: Based on my setup the receiver on our roof is our router, which apparently we have little to no control over. That almost constitutes calling the ISP. However, the guy running it is a real pain in the rear end. He doesn't like to answer calls, much less emails. If I didn't already state it, my brother is looking to setup and start his own service.

The question then becomes, if these NAT readings are right according to Microsoft, how come I can't connect to this player whatsoever?

So this is how it is setup:

Roof Unit > Ethernet Switch > Wireless Access Point

The Xbox is connected through Ethernet

I see then you have to get the isp to give an ip address I believe then . You're right though if the chart is right then you should be able to join matches I noticed when i had moderate nat type people couldn't join me but I could join them.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

The console has little to do with your NAT settings. It's tied to your router/ISP.

you have to "fully expose" your Xbox to the internet via your router settings. I run through a Fios router and that was found under the DMZ port feature. not sure how it works with other routers, though, but I think it's pretty similar. Best thing to do is look on youtube for videos of NAT problems with similar router. Most users walk you through the set up process.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

@nuclear94: Is this for 360 or Xbox One?

Ok sorry I can't help you with that, I used to have issues my 360 years ago, and this was solved by going DMZ on my router. The above poster is correct. But if the issue is from your ISP, you may never be able to solve it until you switch providers. If it is with your router, try forwarding ports and visiting the Xbox support site, or even consider getting a new router.

Try also googling the deftails of your issue, as there are likely other people with the same setup as you having the same issues.