BF4 beta impressions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

suade907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 suade907
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts

Is it just me or does this game look like crap. Also seems glitchy as heck. I'm glad this is just the beta version but so far I'm not impressed. BF3 was looking better to me. What's your take? Maybe they really tweaked the next gen version and this version got the b team.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

BF is using frostbite 3 an engine that's designed to be scaleable. They made the game truly for PC then scaled down to next gen consoles THEN even scaled it down more for current consoles. Bf4 is far more demanding and 360/ps3 could barely even handle bf3

Bf3 looks like trash compared to on PC. Don't get me wrong Bf3 is nice looking game compared to other console games.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Sometimes I think games are purposefully 'scaled down' or degraded the year new systems come out just to make the current-gen look worse, at least when it comes to games releasing for both.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Sometimes I think games are purposefully 'scaled down' or degraded the year new systems come out just to make the current-gen look worse, at least when it comes to games releasing for both.Stinger78
I disaree. devs need to make games bigger and better and it gets harder for them on old hardware. I playing the beta on PC and my card is letting hit mid-high. Pretty sure on consoles it hitting low settings

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

Is it just me or does this game look like crap. Also seems glitchy as heck. I'm glad this is just the beta version but so far I'm not impressed. BF3 was looking better to me. What's your take? Maybe they really tweaked the next gen version and this version got the b team.

suade907
I wouldn't be surprised if the build used for the beta doesn't contain the best textures and a few other reductions to keep the download size down. As far as it being glitchy, that's exactly why you have an open beta. Somethings only show up when millions of people are trying to play at the same time. By playing the open beta and getting them to show up, we are hopefully getting them the info they need to address these before launch.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

suade907

100% agreed! Im going to go ahead and assume that the beta is an old build and all of the graphical assets are not being used. Because if this is final or close to final, BF4 is looking poor!

dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts
I'm just glad they finally decided to tone down the suppression system. The rather aggressive system in BF3 deterred me from even enjoying the game. One complaint I do have however, is the shortage of starter ammunation in the game. 200 or more would have been sufficient.
dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts
Double post, sorry.
PainTrane117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PainTrane117
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
This is definitely NOT what the final product will look like. The end result will be graphics very similar to BF3. They had to scale down the texture resolutions and overall compress the heck out of the beta to keep the download size reasonable so people with mediocre connections didn't have to wait 12 hours for it to finish downloading. Think about it guys... of course it doesn't look super great. It's a BETA. The whole point is to test the gameplay mechanics.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Suade, have you ever played a beta? Of course it looks bad, it's actually supposed to. A beta exists to test network limits, mechanics, and that kind of stuff, not graphics.

As far as the beta, it's pretty good. I like the map a lot, but I'm not a fan of the in-game menu system. It seems very cluttered and not as easy to navigate as their previous games. It seems to be balanced enough, but it shouldn't take 5 rounds from a mounted machine gun to drop a guy no matter where they're getting hit. I'm excited about the new game, Battlefield seems to be the only game I can play online these days.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I never had glitchy problems, but the graphics are definitely underwhelming... Kind of off-putting to me.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I'm loving it on my Xbox 360.No complaints,I think it is only going to get better.

xr791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 xr791
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I was pretty underwhelmed. The beta looked practically just like Battlefield 3... but with a new level. I think they should try to make Battlefield 4 revolutionary and not just throw some new levels and guns out there to make a quick buck off customers. The Call of Duty series does the same thing practically every year... and sadly... the Halo series does too. Halo 1 was incredible, but sadly... I can't say the same for any of it's sequels.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#16 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

It was ok...nothing to do backflips for!