This topic is locked from further discussion.

zombieweekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zombieweekend
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

I've been utilizing the Xbox One for about 6 hours non-stop, and thought some might like an additional perspective.

Set up was easy. It consists of plugging in power, plugging in hdmi, plugging in Kinect, plugging in ethernet(i'm wired). There is an immediate update. From start to finish, it took about 7 or 8 minutes. I somehow managed to dislodge my power strip mid-download the first time around, and the XB1 got a little wonky, but recovered after a reboot. You get walked through setup, which consists of setting the time zone, and logging into xbl, etc. Very quick, no problems for me.

Once you get in: everything is an app and almost nothing is preloaded, so the first time you do just about anything, you have to load an app for it. About the first 2 hours was spent screwing around navigating and downloading apps. We didn't buy any games with the console, so we didn't jump right into a game. Actually, I have Killer Instinct downloaded, but haven't played it yet.

Before I forget, some words on the hardware. In everything I've seen, the console looks enormous. In person it is about the same size as the original Xbox and 360. It's a tiny bit bigger. It looks nice though, like it would really blend in with other components. (I don't have any). The controller is clean, a little better design than the last, not a huge improvement. My only complaint is that it's a little narrow at the shoulder buttons, and I find them more difficult to press than is necessary. It feels a little more cramped than the 360 controller because of this. Let me note that I'm used to large controllers. I still think the original Xbox controller is the best as far as ergonomics go.

However, if I had a choice, I wouldn't use the controller at all. I bought the new system specifically for the Kinect. First things first, out of the box, the Kinect functions suck. Either you have to get used to it, or it has to get used to you, but only now after about 6 hours or screwing around with voice functions, is it really starting to respond well. There's nothing cooler than walking into the room, telling it to turn on, it saying hi, saying a couple of sentences, and you're into whatever you were interested in without ever picking up the controller. That said, the current setup has it's problems. I'll use Xbox Fitness as an example. This is a Kinect app, BUT the menu doesn't support voice commands, so you HAVE TO use the controller with it. Dumb, because you have to put the controller back down to do the exercise. You run into instances like this, where you're cruising along with voice commands, and then all the sudden it's time for controller search. I really want to not use the controller at all for this thing. Another gripe is that the Xbox stops "listening" to commands too quickly, so you end up saying "Xbox select" a lot. This was a really problem at first, since the stupid thing didn't understand half of what I said, but it's much better now. It seems like occasionally when it's busy with another notification, it doesn't listen so well, so the voice commands have to be a bit measured, and after a while you learn to give it a second and speak to it Overall, the controller is probably still much faster. However, consider the scenario where the controller is in between the couch cushions. Now you can turn the console on and get into you app or game while you're looking for the controller. So it's about 90% there with the voice controls, and hopefully that extra 10% is coming with the next update.

The camera works great so far. It took a number of tries, but it now accurately identifies both my wife and I separately and together. Just a funny example of this in action was when I was watching a movie, and she came in from another room and sat down. Xbox said Hi to her, even though it was dark. It's just a cool touch. It's really scary accurate. Xbox Fitness can see what muscles you're utilizing. I got frustrated with it once while calibrating Kinect, and flipped it off. I could tell that the camera saw fingers independent of my hand.

The UI in general is like Windows 8, you just have squares for your applications. Everything is divided up into three sections(pins, home, store), only one of which is fully on screen at once. Frankly I'm not the biggest fan. It would better if "home" was just a single, stationary set of tiles. There's a glitch with voice where occasionally the same command is on screen more than once, and it adds an extra annoying step("xbox select store" "item 1"), or phonetically the commands are too similar, and they end up getting confused. A good example is "pins" and "friends"(xbox select pins" "item 2"). Hand controls are clunky. By the time you get your hand up, recognized, grab, and swipe, you probably could have gotten there with voice, and definitely with the controller. I haven't done it a lot, but I find hand selecting somewhat difficult. The command is put hand up, push forward, pull back. Sounds simple, but it's easy to move your hand while pushing and pulling, either opening the wrong thing, or simply doing nothing.

So far I've downloaded a bunch of apps, "played" Xbox fitness(good free app), surfed the internet(voice is surprisingly good at identifying links. would be nice it could take dictation), watched a Blu-ray disc, and right now my wife is watching Youtube while she cleans the living room.(another handy example of voice control). With a little refinement, this could be GREAT. It needs more, better games(yes, I know they're coming), and it needs better, deeper Kinect control along with more controller-independent apps and games. I think in a year or so, once this comes to fruition, this will be a really great console.

BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

I had a similar experience where I spent a great deal of time setting it up, using voice commands, and downloading apps. After that I played Ryse son of Rome, then Dead Rising 3, and finally Crimson Dragon. It's a solid entertainment system.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#3 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

I'm very well with how well I was able to communicate with Kinect immediately. And then when you realize you don't have to shout, just talk in a slightly high volume, it's even cooler. Xbox One is like Troy McClure's house; it's like living in the not-too-distant future.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

There's a lot of things that have changed with this system, overall it's a much cleaner experience and this time around, Kinect voice commands often give you an advantage compared to using the controller....it's just faster to say "Go to Dead Rising 3", from anywhere, to the load the game....why would I want to use my controller to go to the menu, then go to my pins, find the game, click on it,, etc.

It's a joy turning on the console with your voice, I didn't expect it to be this cool. I'm still getting used to everything, but so far it's just awesome and a big step up from the 360.

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

Thanks for sharing man!

zombieweekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zombieweekend

I'm figuring out that some of the initial voice stumbling blocks were because I just didn't know how to navigate with it very well. If you know what you're looking for, "xbox go to..." is a great command.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

nice info dude.

CBTDesigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 CBTDesigner
Member since 2004 • 123 Posts

I'm still working on matching the TV, AV receiver and DISH box. The receiver and DISH don't turn off when I shut the XBOX down, even though they're paired correctly. Due to my AV receiver providing sound for my TV, I apparently didn't pair my Mitsubishi correctly. Other than these little glitches, this thing ROCKS!!!

BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

@CBTDesigner: Play around with the settings. Turning off all three at once was not a default setting at least on my machine. Some where in the settings I checked two more boxes which now make my tv turn off and my sat box turn off along with my xbox one system.

CBTDesigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By CBTDesigner
Member since 2004 • 123 Posts

@Bluecash ; Thanks, that did the trick!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#11 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Too bad it won't be able to do much here in europe

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

There's a lot of things that have changed with this system, overall it's a much cleaner experience and this time around, Kinect voice commands often give you an advantage compared to using the controller....it's just faster to say "Go to Dead Rising 3", from anywhere, to the load the game....why would I want to use my controller to go to the menu, then go to my pins, find the game, click on it,, etc.

It's a joy turning on the console with your voice, I didn't expect it to be this cool. I'm still getting used to everything, but so far it's just awesome and a big step up from the 360.

Yeah, I love turning on the console with my voice. I have it so it turns on the tv, theater system and cablebox as well. Its much easier than juggling 3 remotes.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@RoslindaleOne said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

Yeah, I love turning on the console with my voice. I have it so it turns on the tv, theater system and cablebox as well. Its much easier than juggling 3 remotes.

I actually just finished setting up my TV so it responds to voice commands as well, and it works great!....I thought you needed the hdmi cable box or whatever for this to work(I don't have cable), but you do not need to.....you just need a compatible TV that the Xbox can recognize.

ilovegodzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ilovegodzilla
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eag3-0RF04

^^^i thought this video pretty much described the fans and haters reactions to the day one launch

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

we will only be able to use half of these features which is sad.

zombieweekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zombieweekend

Other than the 50hz judder issue, for which there is a work around, what is the issue in Europe?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@sukraj said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

we will only be able to use half of these features which is sad.

I think you're being generious. We will only be able to use Netflix and perhaps some other apps