XBLchild accounts no longer allowed to download M rated content from marketplace

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Disturbed_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Disturbed_King
Member since 2007 • 554 Posts

I just discovered today while I was surfing Xbox.com forums that people with accounts under the age of 18 no longer have permitted access to download mature-rated content off of the marketplace? To proove this, the exact same happened to me when I didn't believe what everybody was saying at first so I just tested it out by downloading a Halo 3 gameplay video and it actually blocked me because my account is a "child" account! :evil: (I'm 15 btw)

How many of you think this some of the biggest BS that you've seen in yours? I certainly think that it's MS worst possible move yet, as when Quake 3 comes out to XBLA, that I won't be able to download it, thanks to their retarded fall update that somehow managed to block mature-rated content from being downloaded by minors. I'll put up a poll to see who thinks this is the worst new feature that the fall update has.

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts

I think its really good.

One thing though

I am soooo glad I put that Im older than 18 when I was making my live account :lol: Im 16 by the way.

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
i dont think its BS. i mean they put ratings there for a reason dont like them then dont play video games.all i know is that being 18 and promoting my account i can enjoy all the M rated contented availble. suck on that
xbxjetraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 xbxjetraider
Member since 2004 • 1522 Posts
There is no option that states this as a good thing. Why is that? "M" rated content is "M" rated for a reason. As in no people uner 17 allowed. Best news ever.
Disturbed_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Disturbed_King
I think it's BS simply because I can't get DLC for my M-rated games anymore...oh well...
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts

I think it's BS simply because I can't get DLC for my M-rated games anymore...oh well...Disturbed_King

too bad if your whining about a simple update then maybe you cant handle M rated content in the first place

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
I was over 18 when I bought my 360, any changes to child accounts really doesn't concern me. Plus most people don't have their parents set up their video game consoles why would you make yourself a child account?
Disturbed_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Disturbed_King

[QUOTE="Disturbed_King"]I think it's BS simply because I can't get DLC for my M-rated games anymore...oh well...FUBAR24

too bad if your whining about a simple update then maybe you cant handle M rated content in the first place

You're only bragging because your an 18+ and you get to enjoy all M-rated game content. And all I did was call it retarded, I never said anything about it being the end of my life. But the only way I can show that I couldn't handle M games in the first place is by starting a huge fight with you, in which I won't do that because my mature instincts tell me not too.

But I do think that everybody needs to be entitled to their opinion, have you even read the First Amendment of the United States btw?

xbxjetraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#9 xbxjetraider
Member since 2004 • 1522 Posts

Yes, it says people have freedom of speach.

No one is stopping you from complaining over not being able to download "M" rated content. If it were upto me, you wouldn't even have "M" rated games because you're not old enough to play them.

BrolyB593

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrolyB593
Member since 2004 • 1224 Posts

Im 17 and will be 18 soon and yet mine is a child account. Im not dumb and when I bought my 360 went, hey dad, can you set this up for me?!

If you migrated your account from the original xbox they had it automatically set itself to a child account.

I actually am really annoyed to hear this seeing that now I wont be able to download some good stuff. Hopefully this changes soon or the acounts actually update to adult accounts when ages become 18+

bah.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ket87
Wait a minute why do you need to be 18 to view M rated content when M rated games are 17+? Good logic Microsoft haha.
CHISOXBUFF16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CHISOXBUFF16
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts
would this affect buying map packs aswell
RHCP87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RHCP87
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts
Good, make those little kids feel stupid for putting their real age when they signed up.
CHISOXBUFF16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CHISOXBUFF16
well u can still download map packs for m rated games on a childd account
Spartan874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Spartan874
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts
WTF!!! is that true!?? that sucks. wait so if you can buy a game at 17 (which i am) you still cant get content for another year? niiiiceee. thats bull **** that sucks too cuz i couldnt put in a fake age since i migrated my account from my original xbox. WOW THIS if soooooooo STUPID!!!
Spartan874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Spartan874
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts
well u can still download map packs for m rated games on a childd accountCHISOXBUFF16
wait so what are the restrictions??
CHISOXBUFF16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CHISOXBUFF16
well u cant download demos and game videos for m rated games I tried to make sure u could download maps by redownloading the R6V red pack and it worked
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

If you're younger than 17, you shouldn't be allowed to download M rated content. Take the ratings seriously so we can get some A/O games on the market.

CHISOXBUFF16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CHISOXBUFF16
u cant download demos or videos for m rated games on a child account but forsure u can download map packs
Disturbed_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Disturbed_King
I haven'ttried to see if this applies toXBLA games yet, does this new restriction apply to those too? It better not...
PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts

I think its really good.

One thing though

I am soooo glad I put that Im older than 18 when I was making my live account :lol: Im 16 by the way.

Shade-Blade

me too high five

but just because im cool and want to beat the system if you bought a American Express gift card and registered it with live to promote yourself i bet it would work

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

I think its really good.

One thing though

Shade-Blade

I wish I would've done that. I have to wait until my birthday to download M rated content or use my alt account to dl it.

Zaggmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zaggmeister
Member since 2004 • 136 Posts

I don't truly care all that much. I'm turning 18 on the 8th of Dec...so only a couple of more days for me. If I had turned 17 recently, I would probably be considerablely more pissed though. I can't download any M-rated content for the moment. It's weird MS would choose to make sure 17 yr. olds not able to download 17 and over content.

I totally agree that kids 16 and younger shouldn't be able to dl the content, because retail stores all over the world are getting nailed if they sell a M-rated game to a kid nowadays. MS shouldn't be exempt from that, despite being able to find much more explicit things online. Niether should Nintendo or Sony. Regardless, I look forward to the 8th, because I will be able to download content I should be able to dl anyway.

It would be like going to an R-rated movie, have someone I.D. you to make sure you're 17, then after they find out you are two days short of 18, they tell me that I can't go into the movie, but I could go buy the DVD. Now naturally, the DVD and movie won't be out that close together, but it's hypothetical. If that happened, most people would probably freak on that guy.

But, over all, it might just cost them money. 17, and they can't try out the game they want to buy...so they don't buy it because they don't want to waste 60 bucks. Whatever you want MS.

-Ziggy

atst007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 atst007
Member since 2005 • 1019 Posts
This is BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a child account and I just downloaded and watched that same Halo video you were talking about today. You probably just have family restrictions.
Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 Kash_1095
Member since 2005 • 3606 Posts

I'm 16, why the **** did MS do this, do they not like money or something?

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts
There's no way to override it? I figure that you would need parental consent or something to get it to work. Anyway, I think it's a step in the right direction, but it should ultimately be up to the parent to decide whether to allow the mature filter or not. I don't think it's going to permanently ban you from content.
Crazy_Soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Crazy_Soldier
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts

There's no way to override it? I figure that you would need parental consent or something to get it to work. Anyway, I think it's a step in the right direction, but it should ultimately be up to the parent to decide whether to allow the mature filter or not. I don't think it's going to permanently ban you from content._Dez_

i have tried to overide it in parent settings but it does not work but i tollaly agree with you. now i cant get mature stuff. my parents trust me and know im mature enough to get mature games so it should be up to the parents.

Geek12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Geek12
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
Its not bad at all. Think, there trying to prevent the sales to minors. Well, a minor cant buy it right. but if he does eventually get it through is parents then well looks like its the PARENTS and not the kids/stores/etc. The parents are in contol of what there kids play and understanding the ESRB system.
BeNOwNz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BeNOwNz
Member since 2006 • 2942 Posts
lol ya its bad im 17 and im going to be 18 in feb so its ok i guess
jlm13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jlm13
Member since 2002 • 762 Posts

It is the right thing. If you cant go in the store and buy a m rated game legal than you should not be able to play a m rated game demo either. Thats it.

The Law is

THE LAW

BeNOwNz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BeNOwNz
Member since 2006 • 2942 Posts
LOL oooo this is odd for MS, i can't dl M rated content when im 17? but M rated games are 17+ -_-
Tannerr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32 Tannerr33
Member since 2004 • 896 Posts
Whats stupid is that even after you turn 18 your account still seems to stay a child account even though you have become an adult. I've been 18 for nearly a year now and yet it still wont let me use the msn feature or since the update now download stuff like the gta4 trailer. If there is a way to fix this and I just don't know about it someone please tell me for the love of God.
Rebel108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rebel108
Member since 2006 • 723 Posts
seriously wtf microsoft i can play mature games but not watch trailers? WTF
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
So, if you're not an America Adult whos willing to pay for Gold, you're essentially screwed now. Welcome to MS.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
Of course this is a good move. People under 18 shouldn't be accessing M rated content, so why is anybody angry here? Now if we could just figure out a way to get you kids to stop playing M rated games alltogether, then maybe the ESRB would actually make some progress...
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 teebeenz
Of course this is a good move. People under 18 shouldn't be accessing M rated content, so why is anybody angry here? Now if we could just figure out a way to get you kids to stop playing M rated games alltogether, then maybe the ESRB would actually make some progress...murlow12
yeah, I mean hell, most people under 18 are allowed to drive, drink, procreate, why on earth would we let them see guns and stuff? So inappropriate.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 murlow12

[QUOTE="murlow12"]Of course this is a good move. People under 18 shouldn't be accessing M rated content, so why is anybody angry here? Now if we could just figure out a way to get you kids to stop playing M rated games alltogether, then maybe the ESRB would actually make some progress...teebeenz
yeah, I mean hell, most people under 18 are allowed to drive, drink, procreate, why on earth would we let them see guns and stuff? So inappropriate.

Uh, what country are you in? You can't drink alcohol in the US...

Anyway, that argument has failed for 40 years, so what makes you think it's going to work for your Mature video game DLs? If it didn't work for 18 year olds dying in Vietnam, then it sure as hell isn't going to work for you.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ket87
If they are going to go this far they need to implement that accounts registered to under 17 players can't play M rated games with or without parental settings for one it would show a big step forward in a new direction for video games, make those content ratings actually mean something and it would get the friggen government away from passing some asinine legislation and make things worse for everybody probably. That would also finally stop all the prepubescent brats from running around on multiplayer games they shouldn't be playing anyways.
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 teebeenz
] Uh, what country are you in? You can't drink alcohol in the US...Anyway, that argument has failed for 40 years, so what makes you think it's going to work for your Mature video game DLs? If it didn't work for 18 year olds dying in Vietnam, then it sure as hell isn't going to work for you.murlow12
You know there are people outside the US right?
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ket87
The US has the highest drinking age in the world. Another country has us tied with 21 but I forget which. God bless Canada and its legal age of 19 had alot of fun there. Only 9 more months though for me till I'm 21 anyways.
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 murlow12

[QUOTE="murlow12"]] Uh, what country are you in? You can't drink alcohol in the US...Anyway, that argument has failed for 40 years, so what makes you think it's going to work for your Mature video game DLs? If it didn't work for 18 year olds dying in Vietnam, then it sure as hell isn't going to work for you.teebeenz
You know there are people outside the US right?

That's why I asked what country you are in. :roll:

Regardless, the majority of GS users are from the US. I don't think there are any hard statistics, but I'm sure it's close to 2/3.

Zaggmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zaggmeister
Member since 2004 • 136 Posts

For the guy who was 18, but still has a child account:

Search "adult account on Xbox live" without the quotes.

It should be the second one down, which is www.majornelson.com one.

Also, to the person who said that people under 18 shouldn't be allowed access to Mature reated content:

The ESRB set Mature rating to 17+. That means I, a 17 year old, can go to ANY retailer and buy Bioshock as long a the store is open and has Bioshock in the store. But, I can't download the demo off of Xbox live. That's just plain odd that MS would decide to restrict 17 yr olds from content that the ESRB has already deemed appropriate for 17+ people. As I've said, I'm turning 18 in 2 days, so I could care less. But I actually try and look at the situation from different points of view, and as such, if I had turned 17 shortly before this, I would be pissed.

All I think is that we should set a standard and stick with it, rather than having MS have 18+ being able access to Mature content, and the ESRB saying 17+ for access to Mature content. For everyone who is younger than 17, sure, it sucks, but you really are not supposed to be playing the games anyway. So, I'm for it as far as that goes, but I think as far as being a 17 year old, you get the shaft in this particular instance.

-Ziggy

Hector90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hector90
Member since 2004 • 331 Posts
This is **** I am 17 years od and therfore allowed to go out and buy mature rated game yet I cant **** download a trailer for it, I am going to call Miscrosoft tommorrow and complain about this, I am very upset.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#45 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I'm 17 and have been playing M rated games since I was five.

I think this is a horrible move. Then again if you are smart enough to handle the content, you should be smart enough to lie about your age. Good thing that they finally made it so you can up the age on your account. It was pretty stupid to hear people I know who have had Xbox Live for four years and are now 19 or 20 and the system still says they are 16.

I've never understood all of this ******** about having to be 18 to see a video for a mature rated games, the main reason being that M is 17+. Wouldn't limiting people from buying content, get them less money?

I'm getting sick of gamers over 18 acting like ***** everytime something like this happens. So, they are all saying they never once played a mature rated game when they were younger and that they truly believe that if you do you will become a murderer.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 murlow12

I'm 17 and have been playing M rated games since I was five.

Legolas_Katarn
That tells me everything I need to know about you. Okay, I lied. Where are your parents?
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
short and sweet of it is, xbox live is a 18+ service, it says so in the TOS. You agreed to said TOS when you signed up to xbox live. So suck it up and wait till you turn 18.