Why only 4GB???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Koopagamelouda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Koopagamelouda
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Why are microsoft releasing an xbox with only a 4GB hard drive? (Whats the point???)

thomasm713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thomasm713
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts
Actually, I have the new 4GB Xbox. The reasons I got it were the price, the fact that I don't need the space aside from saving games, and the odd map pack or two. There are supposedly going to be independent hard drives for sale in the future, so I'm not really worried about it.
JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

Well the first 360 arcade model didnt come with any memory.So for this arcade model to come with 4 gigs is actually a upgrade.But yea i do agree that 4 gigs isnt nearly enough.Microsoft should had atleast made it with a 20 gig hdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 000000000111
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts
People who aren't going to buy alot of DLC do not need a 250GB HDD.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Because of either not having enough money for the 250gb version or because they just dont need a lage HDD.

True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

I wouldn't buy one personally because I already have like 80gig of data on my harddrive, but I can see the attraction and if I was buying my first 360 I would be tempted, besides you can just get some 16gig flashdrives if needs be.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
its its for those people who cant really afford the version with the Harddrive, I think its quite good, 4 gigs of solidstate memory is all you need to save many many games, you can even stick a little dlc on there. Now as I recall the previous budget model only had 512mb which beleive me leaves you very restricted
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

1. It's not a 4gb hard drive, it's 4gb of memory.

2. How much memory did the old Arcade models have again? This replaces the old Arcade models but it has wifi, more USB ports, and it's whisper quiet.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

1. It's not a 4gb hard drive, it's 4gb of memory.

2. How much memory did the old Arcade models have again? This replaces the old Arcade models but it has wifi, more USB ports, and it's whisper quiet.

gago-gago

Arcades started with a quarter gig and then moved up to half a gig

bunnyocalypsee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunnyocalypsee
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts
Very casual gaming i'd imagine... some people don't use their HDD's to their full capacity. :)
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Can you not use external hard drives for the new 360? I know it has like 4 usb ports and no memory slots. Couldn't you just pop a 1tb drive on that bad boy?
quichebomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 quichebomb
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

People that would only save their game progress and not download demos, movies ect.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 penpusher

Can you not use external hard drives for the new 360? I know it has like 4 usb ports and no memory slots. Couldn't you just pop a 1tb drive on that bad boy?Ghost_702
Nope no external drives. A lot of people have been asking this since the 360 was updated to support flash drives but it is only for flash drives up to 16 gigs per usb port for a total of 32 gigs of extra storage. Any external harddrive (even a solidstate one) will not work.

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

Why are microsoft releasing an xbox with only a 4GB hard drive? (Whats the point???)

Koopagamelouda

The 4GB is just flash memory you wont even be able to use it really

it is just like the regualar arcarde version of xbox 360 that comes with no hard drive the only reason they mention the 4 GB is to get you to think it actually comes with memory this time around.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 penpusher

[QUOTE="Koopagamelouda"]

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

The 4GB is just flash memory you wont even be able to use it really

it is just like the regualar arcarde version of xbox 360 that comes with no hard drive the only reason they mention the 4 GB is to get you to think it actually comes with memory this time around.

actually its because they come with memory...4 gigs is plenty for the casual gamer or someone whos perhaps doesnt have 200 quid to blow...
Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts

Koopagamelouda
Why does McDonalds sell Medium and Large value meals? Why does everywhere sell at least two sizes of a drink? If you still need to ask this, just wow....
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]Can you not use external hard drives for the new 360? I know it has like 4 usb ports and no memory slots. Couldn't you just pop a 1tb drive on that bad boy?penpusher

Nope no external drives. A lot of people have been asking this since the 360 was updated to support flash drives but it is only for flash drives up to 16 gigs per usb port for a total of 32 gigs of extra storage. Any external harddrive (even a solidstate one) will not work.

My 320GB external HDD works.
Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

[QUOTE="Koopagamelouda"]

Sonny360Elite

Why does McDonalds sell Medium and Large value meals? Why does everywhere sell at least two sizes of a drink? If you still need to ask this, just wow....

Your comparing a 300 dollar item to something that is worth 1 dollar? seriously?

Not only that when i am done with my drink i throw it away i dont really see myself throwing away my gaming system any time soon.

I would dish out the extra money for the larger hard drive it is worth it in the long run say 4-5 years down the road even if you are a "casual" gamer

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 penpusher
[QUOTE="penpusher"]

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]Can you not use external hard drives for the new 360? I know it has like 4 usb ports and no memory slots. Couldn't you just pop a 1tb drive on that bad boy?RoslindaleOne

that my good sir was most unexpected....
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

[QUOTE="RoslindaleOne"][QUOTE="penpusher"] Nope no external drives. A lot of people have been asking this since the 360 was updated to support flash drives but it is only for flash drives up to 16 gigs per usb port for a total of 32 gigs of extra storage. Any external harddrive (even a solidstate one) will not work.

penpusher

Yeah, there's a 16GB cap on it for the 360. I stored DLC and game saves on it. Even installed a 360 game to see how fast (very slow) it would work. I guess maybe some external HDDs don't work?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 000000000111
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="RoslindaleOne"] My 320GB external HDD works. RoslindaleOne

Yeah, there's a 16GB cap on it for the 360. I stored DLC and game saves on it. Even installed a 360 game to see how fast (very slow) it would work. I guess maybe some external HDDs don't work?

I think the 360 will partition out 16GB sectors on external HDDs.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#22 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Actually, I have the new 4GB Xbox. The reasons I got it were the price, the fact that I don't need the space aside from saving games, and the odd map pack or two. There are supposedly going to be independent hard drives for sale in the future, so I'm not really worried about it.thomasm713
Yup. I'm gonna try and buy one pretty soon. But hey, might just go ahead and get the 250 GB one. Just depends on the situation.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Koopagamelouda

why did they release an xbox360 arcade with 512mb internal storage? because not everyone needs tons of storage for a few game saves. 4GB is not that bad. It's an improvement, and for some people it's sufficient

and FYI, from what I understand its not a 4GB hard drive, it is just 4GB of flash memory built in (like a flash drive thats inside). the 250gb xbox360 has an actual hard drive (you know hard discs that spin and store data), while the 4GB Xbox360 has an empty spot there. BUT you can buy a HDD later if you decide you need one.

edit: oh and with the new xbox360, extern flash drives for storage does NOT work. They either have 4gb built in flash with the option to upgrade later OR you buy the xbox that has the 250gb built in. the flash drive storage (capped at 16GB) is for the older Xbox360s.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]Can you not use external hard drives for the new 360? I know it has like 4 usb ports and no memory slots. Couldn't you just pop a 1tb drive on that bad boy?penpusher

Those limitations are so opaquely artificial. Especially since Flash drives and external hard drives use the same basic USB protocol.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#25 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts

[QUOTE="Koopagamelouda"]

Talldude80

why did they release an xbox360 arcade with 512mb internal storage? because not everyone needs tons of storage for a few game saves. 4GB is not that bad. It's an improvement, and for some people it's sufficient

and FYI, from what I understand its not a 4GB hard drive, it is just 4GB of flash memory built in (like a flash drive thats inside). the 250gb xbox360 has an actual hard drive (you know hard discs that spin and store data), while the 4GB Xbox360 has an empty spot there. BUT you can buy a HDD later if you decide you need one.

edit: oh and with the new xbox360, extern flash drives for storage does NOT work. They either have 4gb built in flash with the option to upgrade later OR you buy the xbox that has the 250gb built in. the flash drive storage (capped at 16GB) is for the older Xbox360s.

Doesn't bother me that much. I never use flash drives anyways.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

External hard drives do work.

Any USB store device works. It's just have to be over 1gb and the limit is 16gb. Also some USB device works better than others.

IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"][QUOTE="Koopagamelouda"]

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Your comparing a 300 dollar item to something that is worth 1 dollar? seriously?

Not only that when i am done with my drink i throw it away i dont really see myself throwing away my gaming system any time soon.

I would dish out the extra money for the larger hard drive it is worth it in the long run say 4-5 years down the road even if you are a "casual" gamer

I think that analogy went over your head. People are given options so they don't feel like they have to spend more than they need. Someone that isn't hungry for a large meal can order something smaller. Someone that doesn't do more than play a few games on their system isn't going to need a 250 gig hard drive.

I don't understand why people complain about this. It's not like Microsoft is discontuing the 250 gig and forcing anyone to buy the 4 gig. If you don't like, don't buy it. Some family that's tired of their Wii will do it for you.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Well is 32GB the system limit?

I thought each slot reads up to 16GBs, and there are 5 USB ports on the 360 S 4GB, so couldn't it technically have up to 80GBs extra storage if 16GBs drives put into each USB slot?

Even if the 360 only reads up to 32GB flash drives, its still enough for most people