Why hasn't MS revisioned the 360 controller with a better d-pad?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shujikun07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 shujikun07
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts
The question...
haven79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 haven79
Member since 2007 • 707 Posts
theres nothing wrong with it...?
Avatar image for xAngels_Assasin
xAngels_Assasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xAngels_Assasin
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts

theres nothing wrong with it...?haven79

Yea , y do they need to make another one?

Civfan333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Civfan333
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
ummmmmmm, what's wrong with it?
Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

[QUOTE="haven79"]theres nothing wrong with it...?xAngels_Assasin

It's not very good.

cheetfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cheetfreak
Member since 2005 • 1986 Posts

Sometimes the damn thing is VERY unresponsive, luckily i rarely use the d-pad therefore i dont have many issues with oit.

haven79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 haven79
Member since 2007 • 707 Posts

its fine. end of post

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#8 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
Even though it is not necessary I do find myself sometimes struggling pressing diagonal on the d-pad.
hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 hrah
Member since 2003 • 1375 Posts
yes, it sucks on street fighter for 360, is not as responsive as the snes dpad was. that's because the plastic cross is too thick on the x360 controller so the movements sometimes fail to hit the contacts inside, almost as bad as the dpad were on the ill fated 3DO
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

No. It does have problems.

There is not enough space between the inner lip wall and the pad section of the d-pad. This causes the pad to sometimes hit the inner wall surrounding the pad and prevents the direction from responding correctly.

hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrah

There is not enough space between the inner lip wall and the pad section of the d-pad. This causes the pad to sometimes hit the inner wall surrounding the pad and prevents the direction from responding correctly.

FamiBox

Exactly.

shujikun07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shujikun07
Thank you for explaining it, and I agree, in fighting games especially, it is the difference between fighting your enemy or fighting the controller. With this in mind, why hasn't MS revisioned the design and come out with a better d-pad?
Nick-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nick-42
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
I think it's fine for any games I've played. I dunno about fighting games though, don't play em' a lot.
hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrah

maybe they haven't done anything because most fighting games nowdays use the analog controller, and games that use the dpad are not as common,

dang I used to be an expert on street fighter 2 back in the day be it the joystick in the arcades or the snes gamepad, and I love the x360 controller but the dpad is just badly designed

the dpad is too thick (height) because the cross is too far away from the board so they just made the cross thicker (lazy design)

the snes had the plastic cross less than 1 cm thick so it made contact directly and faster

and I should know, I tossed a lot of snes controllers in their time, and also have a horrible 3do machine as a big paperweight and the controllers dpad were as bad.

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts

yes, it sucks on street fighter for 360, is not as responsive as the snes dpad was. that's because the plastic cross is too thick on the x360 controller so the movements sometimes fail to hit the contacts inside, almost as bad as the dpad were on the ill fated 3DOhrah

thank you, I would of bought SF2 on XBLA, but the 360 controller has one of the worst d-pads ever created. I couldn't even pull off a hurricane kick in SF2 in the trial version :roll: The d-pad is terrible because all four directions are encompassed into one big knob. This causes diagonals to be impossible and it is hard to quickly press one direction without hitting another one, in DMC4 I would go from one styIe to another, only to accidently brush the wrong direction and be in the undesired styIe.

Having the d-pad in just giant button was a very poor design choice, it is difficult to use with precision and it can be unresponsive. The Playstation dual shocks have the best d-pads as each direction is it's own button, yet all are on the same knob, but the knob is underneath the plastic casing, thereby enabling it to be very responsive.

Basically, TC you're right, why hasn't microsoft addressed this, great question.

Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts
[QUOTE="xAngels_Assasin"]

[QUOTE="haven79"]theres nothing wrong with it...?Englando_IV

It's not very good.

Agreed! the d-pad is slow to respond with games like Mortal Kombat or any other fighting game for that matter. It's impossible to not realise this unless you've never owned a ps1, ps2, dreamcast or Genesis.

KrazyC18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KrazyC18
Member since 2006 • 1535 Posts
it rarely needed..
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
No 360 uses it other than menus and arbitary options like inventory. And the only Xbox game that ever used it for movement that I've ever played was Genma Onimusha which did kind of suck with the Xbox layout which is set up for not using the d-pad for that.
hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrah

No 360 uses it other than menus and arbitary options like inventory. And the only Xbox game that ever used it for movement that I've ever played was Genma Onimusha which did kind of suck with the Xbox layout which is set up for not using the d-pad for that.Ket87

Nevertheless it should've been fixed since the duke controller.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

1) Theres nothing wrong with it

2) I dont think there's a game that uses it for gameplay so its useless aside from navigating menus.

franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts
They just need to make the D-pad like the PS3 D-pad and its a perfect controller, I love everything about the 360 controller but the D-pad. If they use the PS3 D-pad and put the battery pack further inside the controller to make the back more flat.
50pepsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 50pepsi
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

Who uses the D-Pad anymore?

koolaidWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 koolaidWTF
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts
I didnt know there was a problem with it
flainsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 flainsoul
Member since 2006 • 516 Posts

http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm

do that

violent_spinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 violent_spinal
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts
theres nothing wrong with it...?haven79

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrah

http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm

do that

flainsoul

Very nice, too bad, I already done that and now it works great with diagonals or complex moves, I was just pointing out that you shouldn't need to do that in the first place, but great website, thank you.

theshadow1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 theshadow1212
Member since 2004 • 490 Posts
ya i like the dpad for lumines so I have to use a third party controller I dont know why they dont fix it.
Fauxbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fauxbot
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I only ever use the D-pad for two reasons - choosing spells in Oblivion and choosing weapons in Half-Life. Most games simply don't use the d-pad.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="FamiBox"]

hrah

Exactly.

Yup, this is true.

DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts
If it's not broken, Don't fix it.
p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts

Who knows but the D-pad isn't that bad

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
i dont mind it at all yea its not very responsive but i would never buy a revised version even if it did come out.
shujikun07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shujikun07

I've played SF2(Arcade), and Virtua Fighter 5, and the d-pad really is bad for playing either game. With so many fighting games (sf4, soulcal4, sfhd) coming out on the 360, it would almost seem imperitive to get a revised controller out there; less you want to alienate a whole genre of games from the system.

There are two options right now for playing fighting games on the 360. Purchase a 50-60 hori arcade stick, or purchase a WIRED 3rd party controller. Atm, I don't know of a single 3rd party, with a good d-pad, that puts out a wireless controller.

onuruca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 onuruca
Member since 2007 • 2881 Posts
when the gamepad is used too much like for a year or something d-pad starts being unresponsible and yes it's a problem
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts

I've played SF2(Arcade), and Virtua Fighter 5, and the d-pad really is bad for playing either game. With so many fighting games (sf4, soulcal4, sfhd) coming out on the 360, it would almost seem imperitive to get a revised controller out there; less you want to alienate a whole genre of games from the system.

There are two options right now for playing fighting games on the 360. Purchase a 50-60 hori arcade stick, or purchase a WIRED 3rd party controller. Atm, I don't know of a single 3rd party, with a good d-pad, that puts out a wireless controller.

shujikun07

The thing about alienating a whole genre of gamers is that noone really cares about fighting games anymore. Its a dying genre with only a few titles coming out anymore. And the majority of fighting games on 360 are all XBLA which undeniably is a moot point since most 360 gamers will never even buy an arcade game. I still like fighters for the most part if I can find a good one worth getting but as my console preference shifted from Sony to Microsoft over the last g en and a half I've learned to just use the analog stick for fighting games which isn't that hard to use. Die hards act like fighting games are pointless without the d pad.

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
^ you see the thing is, some people (like myself) need a d-pad for fighting games. I cannot use an analog stick in a 2d fighting game, many gamers out there are in the same boat as me, d-pads just offer so much more precision and they are far more precise. But fighting games will live on, I don't know why you think they're dying.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
nobody uses it
Avatar image for deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
deactivated-5f89ab8e63049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f89ab8e63049
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
I have no idea. The amount of times I've tried to drop a weapon in Dead Rising just to have Frank check his damn watch... I've given up trying to use it in Street Fighter aswell.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

1) Theres nothing wrong with it

2) I dont think there's a game that uses it for gameplay so its useless aside from navigating menus.

Matt-4542
only the old arcade games really use it as a proper pad for moving etc dont really bother me cant say ive had any chew with mine. maybe its ur pads need replacing, or buy a non microsoft pad if ur that bothered
shujikun07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shujikun07

Virtua Fighter 5, Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 HD, Street Fighter 4, and Soul Cal 4 are games that a d-pad is better then analog. If you don't play those games, then this problem isn't going to really bother you much.

Some special moves in VF5 are almost impossible using the d-pad, and while you can use the analog stick, the structure and stiffness of a d-pad would lead to swifter execution.

As for third party controllers, have you ever seen a wireless 360 controller that wasn't 3rd party? They're non-existant.

The whole point of this post, I think is being missed. If there are games that would benefit from improved hardware design, then why not improve upon it? There are a lot of people I know, maybe just because a lot of people I know play fighting games, that use a hori arcade stick or a WIRED 3rd party controller for fighting games.

This has also turned off some of them to buy soul cal 4 for the ps3 and not the 360 just because the d-pad is so bad for fighting games.Which led to the question in the first place, if microsoft wants to cater to all genres, then why are they ignoring the hardware issues that will effect those games?

karma1680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 karma1680
Member since 2008 • 351 Posts

Virtua Fighter 5, Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 HD, Street Fighter 4, and Soul Cal 4 are games that a d-pad is better then analog. If you don't play those games, then this problem isn't going to really bother you much.

Some special moves in VF5 are almost impossible using the d-pad, and while you can use the analog stick, the structure and stiffness of a d-pad would lead to swifter execution.

As for third party controllers, have you ever seen a wireless 360 controller that wasn't 3rd party? They're non-existant.

The whole point of this post, I think is being missed. If there are games that would benefit from improved hardware design, then why not improve upon it? There are a lot of people I know, maybe just because a lot of people I know play fighting games, that use a hori arcade stick or a WIRED 3rd party controller for fighting games.

This has also turned off some of them to buy soul cal 4 for the ps3 and not the 360 just because the d-pad is so bad for fighting games.Which led to the question in the first place, if microsoft wants to cater to all genres, then why are they ignoring the hardware issues that will effect those games?

I love fighting games and i will agree with you on how hard it is to pull off those moves but i promise you and anyone else who knows what i'm talking about the 360 playstation 3 it don't matter there isn't much difference in how responsive it is compared to what it should be. ps3 is better but you still have to really work at getting the moves No controller has been were it needs to be as far as d-pad since the six button controller for the saga gen. The d-pad was raised and very lose making rotational moves so much easier.

shujikun07
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

The question... shujikun07

because there's nothing wrong with it

Pirate_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pirate_X
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts

There is nothing wrong with D-Pad. It was simply designed by Microsoft in a very horrendous fashion. It needs to be replaced rather than Fixed.

cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts
a lot of my friends are going to buy SC4 for the PS3 because of how bad the d-pad is on the 360 but I am addicted to achievements and will get the 360 version
Cozm1kaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cozm1kaos
Member since 2006 • 264 Posts
yes i agree MS d-pad does suck ass and all of you know it. controller its self is brilliant so is the system why not tweak up the d-pad a bit? all fighting games require d-pad i dont care how pro u think u are stick players vs d-pad player d-pad wins. stick is good for shooters and obviously MS is coming out with so many shooters i cant even keep up. But whats better then sitting back wit a couple of friends kicking it up in a game of sf or any fighting game NOTHING. D-pad needs fixing all of u who dont care bout d-pad this post isent for u. But good point so many fighting games coming out and im not buying any because the **** d-pad.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
well for the use i have for it, it works fine, messages and sometimes games have weapon changing or special gear, but it works fine for that as well
starfox2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 starfox2468
Member since 2006 • 2782 Posts
yeah mines not very good,and its a brand new xbox,2 months old.when i press in one direction sometimes it uses another,like when im playin cod4.
bmcookie797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bmcookie797
Member since 2004 • 70 Posts

who uses the d-pad that much to care that it is a little slow