Why Does Everyone Make Such A Fuss Over Achievements

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts

I honestly fail to see why anybody would care about their gamerscore, let alone anyone else's. I mean, do people seriously creep through people's profiles and check out their gamerscores?

I just kinda play games as I normally would and let them come naturally, but I've seen several people talking about how that would spend hours, or even days, trying to get achievements. Seriously, when a game stops being fun and becomes a chore, why would you continue to play?

Maybe I'm missing something.

deadFalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deadFalling
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts
if an achievement is fun to get il go for it
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dredg11
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts

I'm with you on this one...and it's been discussed at length around here. Most of us think it's lame.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rehehelly
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts
Achievements give another element of challenge to a game, sense of self satisfaction when you complete all of them. I enjoy getting achievements, like i've got most in Fable 2... but I get bored and stop when it becomes a little bit of a chore. Halo 3 ones were fun though.
Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts

if an achievement is fun to get il go for itdeadFalling

I'm talking about the ones that cause you to deviate from the "fun" gameplay. Stuff like, "explore 95% of the map" where people will drive around for hours doing nothing just to get the achievement.

That kinda thing.

OoItsJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OoItsJohn
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts
They have no purpose in life, so they complete arduous tasks in games.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Most achievements either come naturally whilst playing or they're fun to unlock. Also, some games (like Dead Rising) offer perks and bonuses with achievements, so I try to earn those for the fun of it. I also (when I'm done with the game) try to get all the easy achievements to prolong the game's life a little and it works quite well. But you're right, when they become a chore I just quit. A good example is GTA4's 200 or so pidgeons. Naturally, if I come across them while randomly playing I'll shoot them, but I'm not gonna go out of my way and look at info maps and whatnot just to unlock them, that's a bit ridiculous.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i agree, i don't get the point of it. it does nothing for people.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#9 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
it gives me a feeling of accomplishment :D other than that they are pretty pointless.
nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
[QUOTE="wwervin"]Most achievements either come naturally whilst playing or they're fun to unlock. Also, some games (like Dead Rising) offer perks and bonuses with achievements, so I try to earn those for the fun of it. I also (when I'm done with the game) try to get all the easy achievements to prolong the game's life a little and it works quite well. But you're right, when they become a chore I just quit. A good example is GTA4's 200 or so pidgeons. Naturally, if I come across them while randomly playing I'll shoot them, but I'm not gonna go out of my way and look at info maps and whatnot just to unlock them, that's a bit ridiculous.

Same here. Basically, achievements are just there for replay value. However I don't like how u have to be connected to Xbox Live for them.
enemylines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 enemylines
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts

their there so people can have bragging rights even if they suck at games.

"lucky head shot. besides my gamerscore is higher than yours"

Dman0017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dman0017
Member since 2007 • 4640 Posts
i would have to say bragging rights and more replay value for games
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
I was a huge completionist and would try to get a perfect 1000 gamerscore in most of my games, but I've since been drawn off of doing that. I realized that what I was doing was not fun for me, however, that doesn't mean I think that it's stupid. If you have the time and you enjoy the hobby, I don't think anything is wrong with that. Although, I once ran into a guy who would load game saves onto his profile, which I have no idea what the purpose is in doing something like that.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I think they are fun to get. If I'm not enjoying a game, I'm not going to try and get them.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
[QUOTE="Motza22"]

I honestly fail to see why anybody would care about their gamerscore, let alone anyone else's. I mean, do people seriously creep through people's profiles and check out their gamerscores?

I just kinda play games as I normally would and let them come naturally, but I've seen several people talking about how that would spend hours, or even days, trying to get achievements. Seriously, when a game stops being fun and becomes a chore, why would you continue to play?

You ask why anyone would care about their gamerscore, but then have your gamercard in your sig... They clearly matter to you enough to display it to everyone
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dredg11
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
[QUOTE="Motza22"]

Avenger1324

You ask why anyone would care about their gamerscore, but then have your gamercard in your sig... They clearly matter to you enough to display it to everyone

Umm...I have my gamercard in my sig, too. It has nothing to do with showing people our gamerscore. It has to do with:

1. Showing people our Gamertag, so they can add us.

and

2. Show other gamers what games we play, so they'll know if they wanna add us or not.

solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="Motza22"]

Dredg11

Umm...I have my gamercard in my sig, too. It has nothing to do with showing people our gamerscore. It has to do with:

1. Showing people our Gamertag, so they can add us.

and

2. Show other gamers what games we play, so they'll know if they wanna add us or not.

exactly
-shmelo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 -shmelo-
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts
I think they're okay. I'd rather have them there than no achievements at all.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I don't care about them but i also don't care that someone love them.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
they are fun to get....get over it
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I look at achievements as a way of determining that I'd got my x amount of $$ worth out of the game. As a result, I get really peeved with those games that have particularly hard/impossible or online-only achievements, because then it becomes hard for me to feel like I'd got what I paid for with the game.
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
I find it ads more competition and length for the games.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
[QUOTE="Motza22"]

Cause they are like rewards for everyone and it is fun to get them.
Blastalot5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Blastalot5
Member since 2003 • 133 Posts

Achivements give you a constant update of how awesome you are.

As of writing this I am 5145 awesome.

Wunderkid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wunderkid7
Member since 2008 • 247 Posts
Why do so many people make such a fuss about people that fuss over achievements? If you do not like them you do not have to try to get them, but for those out there that enjoy them it adds something to the games they play. I might be biased though :)
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#26 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

It's just somthing to do. A hobby sorta. Achievements bring out the collectors in gamers.

People realise they are worth anything, it's just fun to try and collect and compare them.

I myself wouldnt go after those stupid like some of Unreal Tournament 3's, but if I know I can get it and if it'll be fun, then why not?

It's a feel good thing. Remember how if you were good in pre school you'd get those checkmarks by your name? Sure, they werent worth anything, but they made you feel good. It's sorta like that.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
they are fun to get....get over itOfficialBed
agreed
ch2423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ch2423
Member since 2004 • 1978 Posts

It's just somthing to do. A hobby sorta. Achievements bring out the collectors in gamers. vashkey

I try for gamerscore because of the collector in me. I did the whole baseball card and comic book thing when I was younger and am a collector by nature. I know the points don't mean anything, but for me, they are fun to try and get.
mariojoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 mariojoe
Member since 2006 • 199 Posts
First of all, I only do achievements that seem fun to me so the game does not become a chore. Secondly, such achievements add a few hours into a seemingly dead game. Finally, gamerscores are just fun showing that a player can do things outside of the main storyline.
Civfan333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Civfan333
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
mostly, it's there for bragging rights so when you snipe a guy in the head they can say "well you suck, I have a bigger gamerscore than you" i usually just say, well I guess we can see who has more of a life....
fantasyfacade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 fantasyfacade
Member since 2006 • 8317 Posts
I never cared. I don't see the point in hoarding them. Though a while back I was given a dare to try get over 10,000 by the end of the year. Though it's been called off as that's impossible now.
tnargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tnargus
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts
Yeah i love the achievements. Go for as many as i can get in the games. I've been known to spend heaps of time doing some pretty mundane things to get the achievement too. However, once i stop enjoying it, that's it. Like, I wasn't going to play GTA IV online for hours and hours and devote all my time to honing my skills to get the last few online achievements (not to mention the ridiculous racism in the GTA lobbies). So i'm left on around 900/1000 for that game. I think that if you enjoy getting them, great. Personal choice. If it's too hard/annoying or a chore, then they should be left alone.
Jay2800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jay2800
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
i agree 100%.
ch2423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ch2423
Member since 2004 • 1978 Posts
[QUOTE="tnargus"]Like, I wasn't going to play GTA IV online for hours and hours and devote all my time to honing my skills to get the last few online achievements (not to mention the ridiculous racism in the GTA lobbies). So i'm left on around 900/1000 for that game.

That's just where I am in GTA IV. I'll never get the 1000/1000 because of the remaining online achievements.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

For anyone who says that they have fun getting them, cool, thats fine and I dont have a problem with it. Personally, though, I think a lot of them are ridiculous, pointless, and sometimes even cheap ploys to get you to keep playing a game that you've basically already done practically everything worth doing.

I admit, I get a teeny bit of satisfaction when I get certain acheivements, but only when they come naturally. I dont go through the acheivement lists and see what I can get. Also, the acheivements have to be meaningful. Too often, I notice all these acheivements that are earned not by skill or endeavors or anything, but primarily by wasting lots of time doing something anybody can do. A lot of them are complete wastes of time. If you are that desparate to get replay value from your game, then it obviously didn't have that much in the first place.

zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts
I like to get them, and sometimes it bothers me when I see my gamercard with games missing a lot of achievements. EDIT:This isn't my current gamercard, the other one I use is zeppelin6464. Look me up if you care that much.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
It makes a game last longer and make you play it differently, for example I wouldnt go and play Rainbow Six on Realistic or Call of duty on verterin. It also makes you go back a play the game again to get the rest of the achivement
DaveyBoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 DaveyBoy123
Member since 2004 • 2216 Posts

I'm with you on this one...and it's been discussed at length around here. Most of us think it's lame.

Dredg11
ur just sayin that cuz your score sucks, haha sorry. its just fun. they add challenge to the game, it took me a good 10 tried to get "The Professional" in CoD:WaW
Solors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#39 Solors
Member since 2008 • 574 Posts
I don't really care about them but they are nice to get.
SteeleInd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 SteeleInd
Member since 2005 • 913 Posts
For me, and a lot of other people, Achievements aren't a chore at all. They are goal markers. Think about when you read a game's achievement list, you see goals listed that you would have never even thought of doing. These types of achievements add so much more to the game by adding specific tasks for you to do that wouldn't even cross your mind otherwise. Sure, some achievements are chore-like, such as finding all 200 pigeons in Liberty City, but it's not like you're forced to do it.
liquidsuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 liquidsuns
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
I like them as a record that I played the game and got so far or beat it. I don't generally go after achievements or get online ones (you have to play A LOT to get them usually). I just get the ones that come from playing the game and like them as a lasting record that I did that.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Motza22
some people have fun getting acheivements. If it were not for acheivements i would never play any games on the harder difficulties. I would just beat them once and then go 2 XBL for a lil bit. I don't like leaving a game w/ a lot of missing acheivements, it makes me feel like i missed something in the game.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I don't care about anyone's score. A friend of mine is almost offended I have more than he, makes fun of me for it too. He's sick. A lot of them seem almost masochistic to get. I just play and let em come in.
sk8jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sk8jim
Member since 2004 • 1439 Posts
While some achievements are very pointless others remind you of your accomplishments you have completed, like beating Call of Duty on Vet.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts

Motza22
thats what exactly i am an achievment addict i do go through peoples lists
_Kikode_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _Kikode_
Member since 2008 • 434 Posts

Achivements give you a constant update of how awesome you are.

As of writing this I am 5145 awesome.

Blastalot5

I like your style Man! I'm 3,385 Awesome! Not as awesome as you but somewhat close.

To the OP I love the achievements that you dont get in normal gameplay so I can go back and get them. Like Blow up X amount of cars or run over 30 people while doing a wheelie I just wish developers would get a little more creative with them. 

Warrior427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#47 Warrior427
Member since 2008 • 181 Posts

I think achievements are pretty cool they give longevity to games and challenge you to play the games diffrently some can be sort of difficult to get but once you get there its pretty awarding

Gsmith92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#48 Gsmith92
Member since 2008 • 275 Posts

I think achievements are pretty cool they give longevity to games and challenge you to play the games diffrently some can be sort of difficult to get but once you get there its pretty awarding

Warrior427

I agree, i think achievements are fun to get and add replay value to alot of games that otherwise might not have any. I like to compete with my friends once and a while to see who can get an achievement first, but it's always just for fun.

Gun-Kata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gun-Kata
Member since 2007 • 191 Posts
some mind-numbing acheivements such as seriously 2.0 are pointless but some give you perks like a previous poster said. For example killing 53,000 ish zombies in Dead Rising gives you a mega buster as well as achievement.
Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts

[QUOTE="deadFalling"]if an achievement is fun to get il go for itMotza22

I'm talking about the ones that cause you to deviate from the "fun" gameplay. Stuff like, "explore 95% of the map" where people will drive around for hours doing nothing just to get the achievement.

That kinda thing.

I agree those are just pointless achievements but the fun ones like in games like Mass Effect I actually go for