Why do people hate level scaling on Oblivion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Muddman34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Muddman34
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm going to start off by saying that Oblivion was my first TES game, and has always been my favourite. I've played Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Skyrim, and spent many hours on each of them, but Oblivion always seemed to be better for me personally, not that the others weren't good games, they were GREAT games but I just always preferred Oblivion, probably because it was my first one. As I read online posts on the game a main problem that appears is the level scaling, and to be quite honest, I was pretty surprised. Yeah I can see the problem some of you can have with it, first being no matter how strong your character gets, your enemies will be right on par with you, but isn't that really how things SHOULD work in a real world? I meen, just look at Pokemon, while you're training your pokemon, what are other people doing? Standing around waiting for you to come kick their ass? Well yes, thats what they do, but they should be training also getting stronger with you, and the only way you should be able to get ahead of the is by being smarter, and more strategic. The same should follow for the world of Nirn, do you expect, while you train your character, and get stronger, that your enemies are stuck in time, and are just waiting for you to come for them? In Reality, they would, in time, be progressing the same as you. This comes to level scaling, which basically meens that you can't just get stronger, and expect to use the same strategies you used agaisnt your weaker enemies, and blast your way through the game. You have to become smarter and not just HERP DERP CLICK AND WIN. I hope that in later games level scaling becomes more popular to add some strategy to RPG's instead of just leveling to win that people were accustomed to. I hated how Morrowind went from a struggle to survive to a struggle to stay entertained as I'm going around slaughtering the same random crap far too easily.
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

to be honest can you please make this post more readable...I love oblivion and since I have been with the elder scrolls series for a long time I feel that oblivion did not live up to Morrwind...just my opinion

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

it defeats the point of an RPG thats why. why even bother working so hard to lvl up when your enemies are just going to scale to match? They could easily remove all the RPG elements and have the same game. At the same time it's really the only way to create a game with that much freedom. Otherwise there would be a ton of places that you couldnt go and quests that you couldnt do if you werent powerful enough.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

it defeats the point of an RPG thats why. why even bother working so hard to lvl up when your enemies are just going to scale to match? They could easily remove all the RPG elements and have the same game. At the same time it's really the only way to create a game with that much freedom. Otherwise there would be a ton of places that you couldnt go and quests that you couldnt do if you werent powerful enough.

Gen007
Then you avoided the areas, leveled up, found better gear/spells, or etc. It was just funny to see glass armor and other rare gear on common bandits lol. I didnt really hate it but I wish it wasnt there.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

craigalan23

Then you avoided the areas, leveled up, found better gear/spells, or etc. It was just funny to see glass armor and other rare gear on common bandits lol. I didnt really hate it but I wish it wasnt there.

Of course but it breaks up the freedom of the game and then becomes a very linear in which you have to play through the game in a certain order to lvl properly either that or do a bunch of grinding which is never fun. Thats why they added it so that you can go do whatever you want when you want and i can respect that.

mark1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mark1982
Member since 2004 • 425 Posts

Well it depends, even though the game scales according to your level, if you build your character in a specific way you still will be over powered. I'm level 63 now and I find my character too powerful. I haven't met an enemy who has given me trouble since I became level 30.

It's still fun doing quests and playing the game, plus one hit killing bandits never gets old. I'm about to 1000 achievement Skyrim (finally...), need to start playing other games.

Newportzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Newportzzz
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts

It defeated the purpose of the RPG element in the game, while at the same time restricted the character and pretty much forced character development so you could get the best quest rewards.

That being said, morrowind and skyrim was/is way better than oblivion by a far stretch. Oblivion's main quest was by far the worst out of the series. I'm glad they brought the game back to life after the disappointing oblivion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Oblivion was my first TES too but I prefer (so far) Skyrim, although after 40 hours of gameplay I have done nothing more than entertain myself with misellaneous quests and discovering (cleaning) dungeons...

I actually loved the level scaling difficulty and think it's more appealing than a static diff level.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Well it depends, even though the game scales according to your level, if you build your character in a specific way you still will be over powered. I'm level 63 now and I find my character too powerful. I haven't met an enemy who has given me trouble since I became level 30.

It's still fun doing quests and playing the game, plus one hit killing bandits never gets old. I'm about to 1000 achievement Skyrim (finally...), need to start playing other games.

mark1982

What character are you playing?
I'm levelling as an assassin (archery, one handed weapon, light armor, sneak). And while normal enemies don't give me problems "bossess" are a pain in the ass (yesterday I fought the necromancer who wanted to revive his dead husband and who awards the ghost sword) and I was able to beat her because I found a spot where the reanimated corpses wouldn't be able to land their attacks... if it wasn't for that I would still be fighting her..).

And the red eagle I beat him with the fire shout and running around it's tomb xD

mark1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mark1982
Member since 2004 • 425 Posts

[QUOTE="mark1982"]

_TheJoker_

What character are you playing?
I'm levelling as an assassin (archery, one handed weapon, light armor, sneak). And while normal enemies don't give me problems "bossess" are a pain in the ass (yesterday I fought the necromancer who wanted to revive his dead husband and who awards the ghost sword) and I was able to beat her because I found a spot where the reanimated corpses wouldn't be able to land their attacks... if it wasn't for that I would still be fighting her..).

And the red eagle I beat him with the fire shout and running around it's tomb xD

I'm playing a one-handed/shield heavy armor Warrior. All my skills go to combat, I only use magic to level up and pump stats into the warrior abilities. After my "Warrior abilities/Smithing/Enchanting" were all maxed out I started on "Speech/Sneak/Pickpocket". Daedric artifacts come in handy too, since you're a sneak assassin, you should definitely go after the Boethiah shrine or the Dawnstar Museum, don't want to spoil anything, i'll just leave it at that :P If you did those quests already, that's some pretty awesome equipment. Get your smithing to 100 as well to upgrade your weapons and armor to legendary. (I probably made a 1,000 Iron Daggers just to get smithing to a 100...)

Some of the "special or rare" items you can get in the game almost make you invincible to magic, depending how you use it. For example as long as I have "insert special/rare item here" I can take a full blast of dragon fire or ice breath point blank range and only walk away with a minor scratch or no damage at all. Draugr deathlords are harder than dragons... heh.

Just keep playing, dragon masks are a nice touch too since they boost a lot of a specific stat, I was running around with the green stamina mask (Rahgot) for a while, pumps 70 to stamina. Needed it since I was a heavy warrior. Hope this makes your boss fights less painful.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#11 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

to be honest can you please make this post more readable...I love oblivion and since I have been with the elder scrolls series for a long time I feel that oblivion did not live up to Morrwind...just my opinion

soapman72

This is how I feel as well; Oblivion is actually the worst entry in the series.

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
I personally loved Oblivion, it is one of my favorite games, but I can also understand why some feel oblivion was the worst entry in the Elder Scrolls series. This is probably for several reasons, but I suggest one reason could be the type of environment in which oblivion took place. I can not speak for Daggerfall or Arena since I have little experience in the former and in the latter none at all. When Morrowind was released it introduced us to a very unique world.The land or Morrowind is distinct from other fantasy settings and so that certainly creates a sense of wonder and mystery further motivating players to want to explore this world (though the lack of fast travel outside taxis practically forced you anyways). Cyrodiil on the other hand was quite tame. The landscape in comparison was quite boring. The area of the game felt quite limited in comparison not only because it actually was smaller but also since the game world all took place in some sort of valley one could often see most of what there is to see by simply panning the camera. There were no surprises above ground since everything was so open most of thee time you could see enemies coming your way. I do not think its a coincidence that many people I have talked to who hated Oblivion love Skyrim. Skyrim is a rough world. Though the map is roughly the same size as oblivion,due to the presence of mountains which add some serious scale to the game everything feels so much larger. Though terrain variety still does not seem as diverse as Morrowind, it is certainly more diverse than that found in Oblivion.
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

Oh my character is lv 26 so far. I started as heavy armor warrior with sword and shield. I was using a bow and specializing in restoration as well to help with healing. Eventually out of boredom I started doing destruction. After awhile I decided to drop archery and just do destruction for range instead. I had dwarven and ebony armor with a sharpened blade sword. I eventually dropped armor completely around lv 21 after finishing winterhold. Now I am a full on mage. I wear no heavy armor, carry no weapons with the exception of a few staves for summoning atronachs when I get into trouble. I use conjuration extensively using bound weapons instead of carrying them. I think I read some where that bound weapons are daedric quality. Daedric weapons are some of the strongest in the game. They also banish hostile summons instantly and soul trap enemies when I kill them.

My now mage character kills things so much easier than when he was a warrior. I tend to use bound sword in one hand and various rune spells in the other. I often hear about melee characters having trouble in the game I wonder if there is some sort of imbalance involved where lighter armor type characters such as thieves, archers, and mages have an advantage over warriors.