Why are GS so harsh with their 360 reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

To date only five games have scored over 9.0. They are.........

PDZ 9.0

R6 Vegas 9.1

GRAW 9.2

Oblivion 9.6

Gears of War 9.6

This means great games like PGR3, Call of Duty 2 and 3, F.E.A.R, Condemned and Dead Rising didn't get the scores they deserved.

What do you have to do to please these reviewers? 

creamsauce17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 creamsauce17
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts
 yea i know exactly all those games you listed are atleast 9+ quality.
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
The same story goes with the Wii and PS3 reviews...GS just tries to be the most accurate they can with their review system, but some of their reviews I don't really agree with that much.
Tking1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Tking1293
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts
I don't really know. You do have a point though, maybe it's becasue a lot of people own them and they want to make extra sure that these games have a deserved review. Maybe it's something like that.
tennisacerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 tennisacerg
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
yeah, i'm not sure how they actually base the rating off of; cuz no sports games are ever gonna get good ratings from gamespot
resevilfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 resevilfan1
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts
yeah call of duty 2, condemned and dead rising deserved over 9 i disagree with the others though
Illidan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Illidan311
Member since 2003 • 500 Posts
you're not supposed to agree with every review. you could love a game they give a 1.0 and hate a game they give a 10
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
Reviews are done by a team of people that "know what they're doing", but sometimes I don't agree at all with what they do with the ratings. It's just a matter of personal opinion or preference. For example, one of my all time favorite N64 games was Mystical Ninja, I must have finished it like 10 times, the game was really fun and I completely loved it... GameSpot gave it a 6.4 
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 x-2tha-z

you're not supposed to agree with every review. you could love a game they give a 1.0 and hate a game they give a 10Illidan311

Or it could be argued that they should know a good game when they see it.

NamanOWNSyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NamanOWNSyou
Member since 2005 • 1191 Posts
Your preference doesn't equal to GS's score. BTW, CoD games aren't even that good to get anything above an 8.5, Condemned should have gotten a 7.0, and F.E.A.R. is a PC game. But that's my opinionated preference, no one agrees, usually.
resevilfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 resevilfan1
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts
[QUOTE="NamanOWNSyou"]Your preference doesn't equal to GS's score. BTW, CoD games aren't even that good to get anything above an 8.5, Condemned should have gotten a 7.0, and F.E.A.R. is a PC game. But that's my opinionated preference, no one agrees, usually.

uh have you played them, referring to gamercard.
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#12 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts
The only review they've had for a 360 game that I felt the game got shafted was with Crackdown.  Deserves an 8.5 at least, imo.
Avatar image for qoakzmwisjxneud
qoakzmwisjxneud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 qoakzmwisjxneud
Member since 2005 • 775 Posts
but dont foget alot of big internet sites are paid to give good scores
Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
**** please. they gave TP a 8.8 and Subsistance a 9 (I think) GS LOVES the 360, all their reviews and news are increadibly biased for both the Wii and PS3. thats why I prefer IGN, they arnt THAT biased when the review the games, I mean, splinter cell games have a higher score than MGS games.
Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tlahui
lol, I cant say the N word in here
cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 cricketboy2238
Member since 2004 • 5717 Posts
I think they scored FEAR based on the fact that it's a port of a PC game, which scored a 9.1 last year. Also, they're not harsh. Before I had my Xbox 360 I was a PC gamer and over in PC Games and PC Hardware people always used to complain about how a crappy console port of a PC game will usually get a better score than the original PC one. In general, their PC game department doesn't hand out great scores. I don't really care all that much about the review score, but it seems pretty obvious that they do give console games in general better scores. The highest scoring PC game ever is Diablo II with a 9.6. In a years worth of time, they've given two of those out to Xbox 360 games. I like to argue that PC games just have higher standards, especially when a game lik Half-Life 2, which I think is better than Halo or Gears of War, scored a "mere" 9.2, despite being a bazzilion times more interactive and responsive to the player than any console game I've seen. So I don't think they've very harsh on Xbox 360 games. I don't see a game scoring as well as Gears of War on any other next-generation console, and they've only given such a score to one PC game ever.
creamsauce17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 creamsauce17
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts
**** please. they gave TP a 8.8 and Subsistance a 9 (I think) GS LOVES the 360, all their reviews and news are increadibly biased for both the Wii and PS3. thats why I prefer IGN, they arnt THAT biased when the review the games, I mean, splinter cell games have a higher score than MGS games. Tlahui
you ever think that the 360 is just better ?
Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts
As media improves the standards by which we judge them must also improve. That sounded like it was echoing out of my butt, where my head is firmly lodged. Seriously though, you have to judge 360 games harder than you did xbox games, and in order to maintain the integrity of the system on which these games are judged, some of them have to get lower scores. If you went around giving every decent game 9 or a 10, what would you give a super sweet game when one came along?
MagusMaleficus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 MagusMaleficus
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
This is an age-old complaint, given in the past about movie and play reviews in newspapers, online, on television, etc...  Games are simply the newest entry into the field.  Essentially, a review (of any sort) is little more than a "professional" opinion.  You can take from it what you will - decide to buy the game, rent it, or avoid it all together.  It isn't meant to be the Word of God, or what have you.  If you don't agree, that's great; this is America, after all, and you are entitled to disagree as much as you wish.  However, it is simply childish to whine and complain about somebody's opinion differing from one's own.  If you don't agree, that's that - you can discuss your differences, but there's no point in arguing/whining/b***ing/etc.  
nrt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nrt25
Member since 2005 • 670 Posts
I think they scored FEAR based on the fact that it's a port of a PC game, which scored a 9.1 last year. Also, they're not harsh. Before I had my Xbox 360 I was a PC gamer and over in PC Games and PC Hardware people always used to complain about how a crappy console port of a PC game will usually get a better score than the original PC one. In general, their PC game department doesn't hand out great scores. I don't really care all that much about the review score, but it seems pretty obvious that they do give console games in general better scores. The highest scoring PC game ever is Diablo II with a 9.6. In a years worth of time, they've given two of those out to Xbox 360 games. I like to argue that PC games just have higher standards, especially when a game lik Half-Life 2, which I think is better than Halo or Gears of War, scored a "mere" 9.2, despite being a bazzilion times more interactive and responsive to the player than any console game I've seen. So I don't think they've very harsh on Xbox 360 games. I don't see a game scoring as well as Gears of War on any other next-generation console, and they've only given such a score to one PC game ever.cricketboy2238
Agree totally... I think their reviews of the 360 games have been totally fair, and in sometimes too fair. Look at PDZ which I love more probably then a lot of people, but cmon a 9.0??? I think the best thing to do is to realize that every gaming magazine or website is going to have their own opinion, and taking all their reviews as a whole will give you a better idea of how good these games actually are.
Avatar image for KniferHitandRun
KniferHitandRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KniferHitandRun
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
Sure the ratings are a little harsh, but they are across all platforms (PS3 none above an 8.8, Wii has one 9.1). Personally, I hold games to high standards, so I like that GS rates games on a difficult scale. That way, we know what games are the true must haves, as opposed to say OXM which gives 30 games a year above a 9. Only a good 5-10 games a year a true standouts, and only those should get a 9+. 
DrStewie04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrStewie04
Member since 2005 • 543 Posts
it's just difference between people's opinions. many other gamings sites like GS didn't like Killzone for ps2, but i loved it.
Kniferkia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kniferkia
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
thats why theres a different reviewer for each genre
thomass60r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 thomass60r
Member since 2006 • 1928 Posts
to me there is no way of a proffesional review its all down to opinion no one can say that a reviewer is right about a game its all down to yourself so you can disagree or not
Sam_Lowery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sam_Lowery
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts
Heh, well ps3 doesen't have any score's over 8.6 so it could be worse.
But yea I agree there are some great games like Dead Rising, and Saints Row, that I think should have broken the 9 mark. And personally I thought PDZ was garbage. I had so much more fun playing through quake 4.
cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 cricketboy2238
Member since 2004 • 5717 Posts
Heh, well ps3 doesen't have any score's over 8.6 so it could be worse.
But yea I agree there are some great games like Dead Rising, and Saints Row, that I think should have broken the 9 mark. And personally I thought PDZ was garbage. I had so much more fun playing through quake 4.
Sam_Lowery
All these complaints about sub 9.0 games, but what about Crackdown? Not everyone agrees that it was great, but it had a sub-8.0 score. Anyone who has played the game, liked it or not, can at least contest to it having a standard of quality and it is finely tuned. Oh, and I dig your name. Brazil is one of my favorite movies. :D
DOOM_SONYMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DOOM_SONYMAN
Member since 2007 • 260 Posts

cuz the games arent good!!

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tlahui
[QUOTE="Tlahui"]**** please. they gave TP a 8.8 and Subsistance a 9 (I think) GS LOVES the 360, all their reviews and news are increadibly biased for both the Wii and PS3. thats why I prefer IGN, they arnt THAT biased when the review the games, I mean, splinter cell games have a higher score than MGS games. creamsauce17
you ever think that the 360 is just better ?

No, I am not think that nonsence
gamerking178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamerking178
Member since 2005 • 669 Posts
R6: vegas deseves a 8.5 at the very best
luke182777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 luke182777
Member since 2005 • 3070 Posts
and in my opinion only 4 of them deserved it...
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 x-2tha-z

[QUOTE="Sam_Lowery"]Heh, well ps3 doesen't have any score's over 8.6 so it could be worse.
cricketboy2238
All these complaints about sub 9.0 games, but what about Crackdown? Not everyone agrees that it was great, but it had a sub-8.0 score. Anyone who has played the game, liked it or not, can at least contest to it having a standard of quality and it is finely tuned. Oh, and I dig your name.

True.

JLei2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 JLei2k
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
The only game that deserved over a 9 that you listed was COD2. It should have gotten Perfect Dark Zero's score and PDZ should have gotten like a high 8. I feel Crackdown was also judged very harshly shoulda been a low to mid 8. Otherwise I feel they are pretty much spot on with their reviews. GRAW should have been a high 8. The only real AAA's for the 360 IMO are Gears, Oblivion, RSV and COD2.
conroybrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 conroybrink
Member since 2003 • 58 Posts
The thing is,is that they have extremely high standards for games.
They tend not to look at games indepently but compare games with other games.
Pretty much they're a bunch of elitest's.Granted they're usualy close to what a game score should be,and other times they're way off base,its all in who's doing the review it seems.
They I figure things out I put a point and a half higher than what they give a score.
You have to remember that they play and look at a lot of games and are trying to give a fair judgement but its hard when you see the same crap repeted game after game.
If I was a game reviewer I'd be just as harsh,I have high standards for games but I also don't nit pick about small flaws and the like,but thats what they get paid to do,so thats why they are so harsh..
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

To date only five games have scored over 9.0. They are.........

PDZ 9.0

R6 Vegas 9.1

GRAW 9.2

Oblivion 9.6

Gears of War 9.6

This means great games like PGR3, Call of Duty 2 and 3, F.E.A.R, Condemned and Dead Rising didn't get the scores they deserved.

What do you have to do to please these reviewers? 

x-2tha-z

GS is harsh for all systems... PS3 doesn't have ANY games over 9.0, and Wii just has one. That being said, PGR3, COD2, FEAR, Condemned and Dead Rising got what they deserved. And PDZ and Gears got more than they deserved.