Which type of shooter do you prefer (and why)?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Here the 4 types of shooters as I see them

1. Tactical Simulation: These are the most realistic shooters you can buy. You have to carefully plan every move you make, and stay behind cover almost all the time during a fight, as any mistake can cost you your life, and you're dead after being shot once or twice. Examples include Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six

2. Semi-Tactical: These games are a little more forgiving than a true tactical game. You can generally take more than a shot or two before dying, and often have rechargeable health. Still, you need to use cover more often than not to survive, as running freely in the open usually means a quick death. Examples include Call of Duty and Gears of War

3. Run and Gun: This is the most traditional type of shooter. These are the games in which circle-strafing and jumping up and down are commonplace. There really isn't a need to take cover in these games are your character can take tons of damage before being killed. Examples include Halo and Unreal

4. Hybrid: These are shooters that incorporate elements of role-playing and adventure games into shooter-type perspectives and controls. These are games in which you build up skills and learn new abilities as you progress through the game and/or come across numerous puzzles and obstacles that you must solve. Oftentimes there are multiple ways in which to solve a problem rather than just shooting the enemy. Examples include Deus Ex and Bioshock

So which is your favorite and why? I prefer hybrid shooters because they break up the monotony of just killing everything in sight.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

The one that has guns firing bullets.

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Logan1616
Member since 2008 • 3424 Posts

1. Tactical Simulation: These are the most realistic shooters you can buy. You have to carefully plan every move you make, and stay behind cover almost all the time during a fight, as any mistake can cost you your life, and you're dead after being shot once or twice. Examples include Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six

2. Semi-Tactical: These games are a little more forgiving than a true tactical game. You can generally take more than a shot or two before dying, and often have rechargeable health. Still, you need to use cover more often than not to survive, as running freely in the open usually means a quick death. Examples include Call of Duty and Gears of War

3. Run and Gun: This is the most traditional type of shooter. These are the games in which circle-strafing and jumping up and down are commonplace. There really isn't a need to take cover in these games are your character can take tons of damage before being killed. Examples include Halo and Unreal

4. Hybrid: These are shooters that incorporate elements of role-playing and adventure games into shooter-type perspectives and controls. These are games in which you build up skills and learn new abilities as you progress through the game and/or come across numerous puzzles and obstacles that you must solve. Oftentimes there are multiple ways in which to solve a problem rather than just shooting the enemy. Examples include Deus Ex and Bioshock

So which is your favorite and why? I prefer hybrid shooters because they break up the monotony of just killing everything in sight.

UT_Wrestler
You don't really need to take cover in CoD4...and it plays more like a run and gun.... But I like Infinity Ward shooters because they're fun, give me a rush, I'm good at them, and they always make good games. So there's your answer.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I would have to say hybrid/run and gun as I love critical shots in Team Fortress 2. Nothing like getting a critical and taking out two or three people in one shot.

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Logan1616

I would have to say hybrid as I love critical shots in Team Fortress 2. Nothing like getting a critical and taking out two or three people in one shot.

craigalan23
That's more run and gun gameplay.
Shru-Bracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Shru-Bracken
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

I'd say it's a mix of Run-N-Gun and Hybrid.

I like Bioshock, Halo, and UT.

One thing I don't like though, is realistic old fashioned shooters like CoD. They're just not very engaging to me.

I like playing games which are based around fictional events, preferably based in the future, as there's much more leeway for awesome weapons or level ideas.

You're not gonna find a plasma rifle in CoD, after all. And you're certainly not going to ride a four wheel drive across a giant ring that's falling apart and destroying itself, while parasitic creatures swarm all over it (lol Halo 3 end level reference).

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#8 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Run n' gun I guess. The kind that some people categorize as mid paced shooters.
halofreak500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 halofreak500
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts
HALO!HALO!HALO!HALO!
gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
Run n gun. Halo for that matter but i also love gears or games that include role-playing elements like Bioshock
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#11 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I like semi-tatical. In order to win you need to think but you can play guns blazing as well and still have fun.

Blobstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Blobstone
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
[QUOTE="Logan1616"][QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]

You don't really need to take cover in CoD4...and it plays more like a run and gun.... But I like Infinity Ward shooters because they're fun, give me a rush, I'm good at them, and they always make good games. So there's your answer.

u kiddin me? you have to take cover or else get sniped in the head by a player 500 feet away.
gedbyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gedbyz
Member since 2009 • 604 Posts

I would say semi-tactical because Gears of War is one of my favorite games ever.

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Logan1616
[QUOTE="Blobstone"][QUOTE="Logan1616"][QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]

u kiddin me? you have to take cover or else get sniped in the head by a player 500 feet away.

Well yeah go prone and all that but not like cover like camping at least.
MrEco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrEco
Member since 2009 • 364 Posts

I like all of them except for Run & Gun.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I personally prefer to run and gun, which is prob why games like Perfect Dark and Halo CE are so appealing to me.

I do also relaly like games like Gears and Army of 2 though...

_Doomsayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 _Doomsayer_
Member since 2008 • 18616 Posts
[QUOTE="Logan1616"] Fictional? CoD4. Old fashioned? That's not CoD4....Are you on crack?

...It plays exactly like CoD2, in a different setting. Are you on crack? :? I suppose hybrids though. Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games. I do like tactical games though, and I'm not a big fan of run and gun.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

REAL tactical simulations. Not Rainbow Six, not Ghost Recon. Something along the lines of Armed Assault or Operation Flashpoint. Maybe the original Rainbow Sixes, but definetely not the next-gen crap they release with the Rainbow Six logo tacked on.

x_buckets_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 x_buckets_x
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts
gta anyone?
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Phoenix534

gta anyone?x_buckets_x

What?

petros753

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 petros753
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts

I like all types of games.

but i prefer Semi tatical/ Run and gun/ yhbrid

xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxDEUCExx
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts
gta anyone?x_buckets_x
GTA = Not a FPS. Can't stand that game anyways. Just irritates the hell out of me.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="x_buckets_x"]gta anyone?xxDEUCExx
GTA = Not a FPS. Can't stand that game anyways. Just irritates the hell out of me.

Big problem right there. FPSs aren't the only shooters out there.

xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xxDEUCExx
I chose Semi-tactical roughly because I can see the THIN line drawn through CoD. If you are playing Core..it's a Semi-tactical. If you are playing HardCore it is straight up tactics. If you step out of cover (and sometimes you don't even need to do that) at the wrong time you are toast. It'll take one or two bullets to kill you. Usually just one will do. In Core you have that Juggernaut garbage which is basically an everpresent Oversheild nevermind the fact that it already takes a full magazine to drop a guy in Core mode. I love HardCore. Only thing I don't fully agree with in HardCore is the hit indicator popping up when you shoot a friendly.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

You don't really need to take cover in CoD4...and it plays more like a run and gun.... But I like Infinity Ward shooters because they're fun, give me a rush, I'm good at them, and they always make good games. So there's your answer.Logan1616

I dare you to run and gun on Veteran.

My preference is semi-tactical although I am not a fan of gears of war. I usually prefer to stick to "realistic" settings, Gears of War fantasy/sci-fi doesn't interest me. The only exception is Mass Effect but that is an RPG more than a shooter.

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Logan1616

[QUOTE="Logan1616"] You don't really need to take cover in CoD4...and it plays more like a run and gun.... But I like Infinity Ward shooters because they're fun, give me a rush, I'm good at them, and they always make good games. So there's your answer.Tezcatlipoca666

I dare you to run and gun on Veteran.

My preference is semi-tactical although I am not a fan of gears of war. I usually prefer to stick to "realistic" settings, Gears of War fantasy/sci-fi doesn't interest me. The only exception is Mass Effect but that is an RPG more than a shooter.

I'm speaking multiplayer wise.
xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xxDEUCExx
Only ones we're this stuff are about are FPS's i.e. Halo, CoD, BioShock, UT etc. I'm not really sure what I'd call GTA. Somewhere between RPG and Action/Adventure. ::EDIT:: Epic Wording fail on my part. ::EDIT:: Twice.
MrEco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrEco
Member since 2009 • 364 Posts

[QUOTE="x_buckets_x"]gta anyone?xxDEUCExx

Agreed.

srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

which ever 1 gears of war is lol

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Any 3rd person with good gameplay. FPS games make me nauseate.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UT_Wrestler

REAL tactical simulations. Not Rainbow Six, not Ghost Recon. Something along the lines of Armed Assault or Operation Flashpoint. Maybe the original Rainbow Sixes, but definetely not the next-gen crap they release with the Rainbow Six logo tacked on.

Phoenix534
Yeah those are definitely a little more realistic, but they're all still along the same lines of being more realistic than Halo or Gears of War.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

UT_Wrestler

Yeah those are definitely a little more realistic, but they're all still along the same lines of being more realistic than Halo or Gears of War.

Definetly. But, if anyone here has played the original Rainbow Sixes and the Vegas games, you should know what I'm talking about when I said what I said. Also, I can't think of a single game less realistic than Halo.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 craigalan23

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Phoenix534

Definetly. But, if anyone here has played the original Rainbow Sixes and the Vegas games, you should know what I'm talking about when I said what I said. Also, I can't think of a single game less realistic than Halo.

Shadowrun isn't very realistic. :P
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"] Yeah those are definitely a little more realistic, but they're all still along the same lines of being more realistic than Halo or Gears of War.craigalan23

Shadowrun isn't very realistic. :P

I don't know if it's less realistic than Halo is though...

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 craigalan23

I don't think magic or trolls exist. :P

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

... I do like hybrids for the sole factor of customization. Oh yes, and Mass Effect :D.

But if there is one sole reason why I enjoyed (currently enjoying) Saints Row 2 more than GTAIV, it's the level of customization easily. I spent hours searching for clothes shops the first night I played just 'cause.

I enjoy all the options on the poll :(. Halo, being my first FPS love... other games similar to CoD (huge number of FPSes are more semi-tactical than not), military sims are just cool. Had some of the best moments in multiplayer gaming in Red Orchestra/Darkest Hour. While I'm usually not too crazy about RPGs in general (save for KoTOR), just add guns and I'm sold.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#37 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I shoot best at semi-long distances. I'm descent at close range. I'm not THAT great at long distances.
OddballTECH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#38 OddballTECH
Member since 2005 • 7905 Posts

I like hybridized shooters, like Fallout 3 and Bioshock. Tactical shooters are fun, but a lot of the times I don't feel that they offer enough variety. Incorporating shooting into a more adventure-oriented game allows for that varitey.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

In fairness, most of the older FPS games are just as far-fetched as Halo
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UT_Wrestler
Only ones we're this stuff are about are FPS's i.e. Halo, CoD, BioShock, UT etc. I'm not really sure what I'd call GTA. Somewhere between RPG and Action/Adventure. ::EDIT:: Epic Wording fail on my part. ::EDIT:: Twice.xxDEUCExx
GRAW and Gears of War are both third-person.
Innocentguy757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Innocentguy757
Member since 2004 • 5410 Posts
Halo is not run and gun unless you're a noob. Then every game is run and gun.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 UT_Wrestler
Halo is not run and gun unless you're a noob. Then every game is run and gun.Innocentguy757
Actually yes it is. Unless you're telling me that you spend the entire game going from one cover spot to the next.
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
Lol @ you categorizing Call of Duty as semi-tactical and Halo 3 as "run-and-gun". It's the other way around IMO. Anyway, I usually prefer semi-tactical games and "run-and-gun" games, but I generally like all kinds of FPSs, as long as the game is good. I do enjoy "hybrid" games, such as BioShock, but I don't really think of them as FPSs in my mind.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#44 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="atm0073"]Lol @ you categorizing Call of Duty as semi-tactical and Halo 3 as "run-and-gun". It's the other way around IMO.

I'd say they're both run n' gun.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

06-07 I was more into semi-tactical games, but now I'm back into run n gun type of games.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="atm0073"]Lol @ you categorizing Call of Duty as semi-tactical and Halo 3 as "run-and-gun". It's the other way around IMO. vashkey

I take it you guys only play CoD on the easy or normal settings.
SparkeyMark86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#47 SparkeyMark86
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts

I like Semi-Tactical most but for Run and Gun its Halo

xxDEUCExx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xxDEUCExx
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="atm0073"]Lol @ you categorizing Call of Duty as semi-tactical and Halo 3 as "run-and-gun". It's the other way around IMO. UT_Wrestler

Agreed with UT_Wrestler. Anyone calling CoD a run and gun is playing either the single player on Rookie or Multiplayer on Core mode using the Jugger-noob perk. Play HardCore and try that crap. Using juggernaut in HardCore mode it'll take 2 hits to kill you instead of 1. None of that Halo "30 or so hits should do" bull****.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"][QUOTE="vashkey"] I'd say they're both run n' gun.xxDEUCExx

Agreed with UT_Wrestler. Anyone calling CoD a run and gun is playing either the single player on Rookie or Multiplayer on Core mode using the Jugger-noob perk. Play HardCore and try that crap. Using juggernaut in HardCore mode it'll take 2 hits to kill you instead of 1. None of that Halo "30 or so hits should do" bull****.

good point
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Phoenix534

I don't think magic or trolls exist. :P

craigalan23

I don't think English speaking aliens and giant, galaxy destroy rings exist either.