When is an unfinished product justifiable for sale?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

I can't think of any industry that can justifiably sell a finished product in the condition in which New Vegas has been shipped. I can understand glitches. I understand that game testers don't always get every single tiny glitch but it's becoming ever so more clear that this game was obviously not completely out of it's bug testing stage.

You couldn't sell a car, toy, piece of furniture, or a food product in the same condition as New Vegas is in. Any other product would suffer a mass recall that would cost the company more that the product was worth and negative publicity.

So do you think it's justifiable for a video game company to sell and unfinished, bugged, and unplayable game simply because it can be patched in the future? Or do you think said company should have to pay back a sort of compensation for selling this unfinished work?

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
While I do like Hour Of Victory for example, that is a good example to use in this discussion. I think the only thing that developers need to do is have a decently lengthed campaign (minimum around 4 hours) and multiplayer (in this generation). The game also obviously has to be ironed out a little bit, but if the game is somewhat playable and actually physically runs, then it is probably fine to be sold.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It's never justifiable. That's why I believe video game reviewers and critics need to put a bigger emphasis on addressing these buggy, glitched, unfinished video games in their reviews. And it would also help that they do not let popular developers get away with unfinished, unpolished, video games. If it's not "finished" it should not be released. Delay, postpone, spend more time ironing out the bugs. Take responsibility.

In the case of video games, developers and publishers alike, think they could get away with it because they have patches to save them. It's a lazy mentality, and a slap in the face to consumers, as well as, making a bad example of developers and making the gaming industry look bad.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ashley_wwe
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

It's never justifiable. That's why I believe video game reviewers and critics need to put a bigger emphasis on addressing these buggy, glitched, unfinished video games in their reviews. And it would also help that they do not let popular developers get away with unfinished, unpolished, video games. If it's not "finished" it should not be released. Delay, postpone, spend more time ironing out the bugs. Take responsibility.

In the case of video games, developers and publishers alike, think they could get away with it because they have patches to save them. It's a lazy mentality, and a slap in the face to consumers, as well as, making a bad example of developers and making the gaming industry look bad.

The same could be said about movies though, to be honest. There are just as many bad movies as there are games ;). It all just depends on the developer/director.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Elann2008

Couldn't have said it better myself.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Ashley_wwe

The same could be said about movies though, to be honest. There are just as many bad movies as there are games ;). It all just depends on the developer/director.

True, but with movies it's a whole different story. When they release a movie (whether it's enjoyable to watch or not) it will always be finished, they won't leave it with bits missing and scenes freezing throughout it.

With video games we want them to be played as they should be: and that's smoothly with as little glitches as possible. Bethesda just got lazy and threw this out on us, when (as everyone has already mentioned) they could of easily delayed the game and patched it up properly. ;)

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ashley_wwe

With video games we want them to be played as they should be: and that's smoothly with as little glitches as possible. Bethesda just got lazy and threw this out on us, when (as everyone has already mentioned) they could of easily delayed the game and patched it up properly. ;)

BattleSpectre
I get you :). It makes me wonder who tests them though, surely Microsoft at least test them after the developer does?
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Ashley_wwe

I get you :). It makes me wonder who tests them though, surely Microsoft at least test them after the developer does?

I wonder the exact same thing, it would be nice if Microsoft did, but i doubt it bubs =3

Avatar image for StaticKornSlipX
StaticKornSlipX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 StaticKornSlipX
Member since 2003 • 8261 Posts

I can't think of any industry that can justifiably sell a finished product in the condition in which New Vegas has been shipped. I can understand glitches. I understand that game testers don't always get every single tiny glitch but it's becoming ever so more clear that this game was obviously not completely out of it's bug testing stage.

You couldn't sell a car, toy, piece of furniture, or a food product in the same condition as New Vegas is in. Any other product would suffer a mass recall that would cost the company more that the product was worth and negative publicity.

So do you think it's justifiable for a video game company to sell and unfinished, bugged, and unplayable game simply because it can be patched in the future? Or do you think said company should have to pay back a sort of compensation for selling this unfinished work?

DamianAlexander
They get away with this because they set up their "product" as licenses...so you can't return the game if you are unhappy with it (exceptions include Walmart). With normal goods, like cars, buyers can return their product if they are broken... i don't like how the rules are changed to appease for computer software companies-e.g. Micro$oft
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

it is never justifiable to roll out a product which is unfinished. Unfortunately, this is not how business works nowadays. And to change that mentality, one needs to try to change the whole philosophy of business - make profits within a deadline. This is never going to happen.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#11 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I still haven't run into any big, or even annoying, problems. I don't know why anyone expected this game wouldn't be full of bugs with Bethesda and Obsidian working on it.

These Fallout threads need to stop, why aren't mods locking all of these? I'm starting to thank God that everyone wasn't on the internet in the 80s and 90s.Every thread would be about why some game is glitchy or completely unplayable.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

nope its not ok. I understand there will be bugs especially in a game of this scale but when there are multiple game ending glitches, thats a problem. Nobody wants to put in dozens of hours only to find out they cant finish the game. I refuse to believe that testers didnt run into any of these problems at anytime. They just ran of of dev time and decided to release it. Typical business move but that dosent mean its good business.

Now they have a mess on their hands and please believe its affecting sales. Taking the time to iron out the bugs would have been better for us and them.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
Basically the reason fallout: new vegas was let out to early was deadlines. The dev team were probably worried sick by the fact that so many bugs had turned up but with the dead line imposed on them they were unable to sort them intime. I think the fact that the initial patch is ready (or being made ready, i havent logged into live for a little while) so quickly proves this.
and multiplayer (in this generation).Ashley_wwe
I dont know why people think all games need multiplayer these days...theres enough multiplayer games out there as is and fallout (despite its flaws) is one of the best examples of a game that doesnt need it
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Never. Admitted;y there are some things in games which cant be tested thouroughly. but that is mostly down to multiplayer titles. A single player game should be next to perfect when shipped. NO EXCEPTIONS

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

just putting out patches is NOT acceptable to me. not everyone has an internet cable running where they play their games. not everyone even HAS internet, and some places only have dial-up still or they have a limited amount of bandwidtth that they can use. what's on the disc is what the game is. period. there's no excuse for them not to fix this stuff before the game comes out.

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

DamianAlexander

Funny you haven't played it according to your gamertag but your allowed to try and bash it.

To answer your topic when you spend 50 hours in it already and are still having loads of fun. The game doesn't have game breaking glitches at least for me anyways...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#17 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
It does suck that a lot of people are having problems with Vegas, but I've only had it freeze up once in over 15 hours worth of play time. This is the first gen when most people have broadband internet, and companies can get away with not finishing a game completely because they can patch it within a couple weeks. It seems incredibly half assed. I remember last gen that if a game came out with bugs, it was generally shunned by the gaming community. Now it's kind of like "Who cares, it'll get patched." It sucks, but that's how it is.
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DamianAlexander

[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Funny you haven't played it according to your gamertag but your allowed to try and bash it.

To answer your topic when you spend 50 hours in it already and are still having loads of fun. The game doesn't have game breaking glitches at least for me anyways...

No, I haven't played it, but my very close friend has and can't continue to play because his Save file won't load. I've also read countless threads explaining different way the game has broken on them.

I'm glad you haven't ran into a game breaking glitch and I hope that you don't. But when you do, will you still defend a broken game as you blindly defend it now? You are one of a few who seem to not have ran into anything.

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

[QUOTE="ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ"]

DamianAlexander

No, I haven't played it, but my very close friend has and can't continue to play because his Save file won't load. I've also read countless threads explaining different way the game has broken on them.

I'm glad you haven't ran into a game breaking glitch and I hope that you don't. But when you do, will you still defend a broken game as you blindly defend it now? You are one of a few who seem to not have ran into anything.

So because people have had problems you have the right to complain? No sorry you dont, 50 hours in and no problems wouldn't exactly be "blindly" defending something either. "Unfinished" is not correct either if it wasn't finished i wouldnt have beat the game? Unpolished perhaps would have been a better choice of words.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DamianAlexander

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

So because people have had problems you have the right to complain? No sorry you dont, 50 hours in and no problems wouldn't exactly be "blindly" defending something either.

I don't need to invest in this product the be outraged that they would still sell it in the condition it was sold in. Also, you're blindly defending a game that does indeed have glitches. If everywhere you go people are complaining that there are game breaking glitches then clearly there are. You're choosing to look away from what everybody else is saying and blindly defend a game that this very website has deemed glitched and half broken.

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

DamianAlexander

So because people have had problems you have the right to complain? No sorry you dont, 50 hours in and no problems wouldn't exactly be "blindly" defending something either.

I don't need to invest in this product the be outraged that they would still sell it in the condition it was sold in. Also, you're blindly defending a game that does indeed have glitches. If everywhere you go people are complaining that there are game breaking glitches then clearly there are. You're closing to look away from what everybody else is saying and blindly defend a game that this very website has deemed glitched and half broken.

Yeah im just "lucky" i have not had any glitches. Everwhere you go people are complaining about the game? Do you hang out in gamestop all day long or something? The only thing you do is go on video game forums? I dont see how "everywhere" you go people would only be talking about fallout new vegas glitches. There are people in various threads on this site alone that have not had an issue with the game. So go ahead and make threads blindly attacking a game that you have never played you are super awesome, be "outraged".

You should check out this: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/fallout-new-vegas

and another in case you thought that was rigged: http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/959557-fallout-new-vegas/index.html

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DamianAlexander

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

I don't need to invest in this product the be outraged that they would still sell it in the condition it was sold in. Also, you're blindly defending a game that does indeed have glitches. If everywhere you go people are complaining that there are game breaking glitches then clearly there are. You're closing to look away from what everybody else is saying and blindly defend a game that this very website has deemed glitched and half broken.

Yeah im just "lucky" i have not had any glitches. Everwhere you go people are complaining about the game? Do you hang out in gamestop all day long or something? The only thing you do is go on video game forums? I dont see how "everywhere" you go people would only be talking about fallout new vegas glitches. There are people in various threads on this site alone that have not had an issue with the game. So go ahead and make threads blindly attacking a game that you have never played you are super awesome, be "outraged".

You should check out this: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/fallout-new-vegas

and another in case you thought that was rigged: http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/959557-fallout-new-vegas/index.html

No, you're not lucky. You're just so good at this game. Aren't you the guy who said "If you run into any glitches in Fallout 3 then you must be bad at the game"? Or atleast you said that to some degree.

If you're trying to insult me by saying that I "hang out" at Gamestop all day then try again. I post quite a lot on these forums, and I read more threads than I post in. So yeah, I think I have a pretty general idea of percentage of people who seem to have had a game-breaking glitch to those "lucky" or "good" players who haven't.

And don't post a Metacritic, we all know this game ranked higher because of it's previous title and because of the company who created it. If this were a new video game company everybody would be outraged.

I haven't played this game, I think I have enough evidence on this forum, on this website's review, and on other website's reviews that state that this game has game breaking glitches.

If you want to stand by Fallout New Vegas and over look the countless amount of people who are just waiting for this patch to come out so they can play again then who's the blind one?

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DamianAlexander

You're right. The opinion of one always outnumbers the opinion of many. I really do hope that you don't turn you system on to find that your file can't be loaded like my friend's, I really do. I wouldn't want to see your expression when the game turns it's back on you.

Edit: My age should have nothing to do with this argument. It's not part of the topic, and doesn't underrate, nor prove my point wrong.

d4v1dbow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 d4v1dbow13
Member since 2009 • 614 Posts

it is never justifiable to roll out a product which is unfinished. Unfortunately, this is not how business works nowadays. And to change that mentality, one needs to try to change the whole philosophy of business - make profits within a deadline. This is never going to happen.

EvilSelf

I'd like to interject that Blizzard has, and will continue, to use a business model that is quite the oppisite of what your saying and they are arguably one of, if not the, biggest game developers out there. I mean Starcraft 2 took 12 years but it was the second fastest selling P.C. game of all time, second to WoW:WOTLK.

Back to the topic of Obsidian and New Vegas, I think Obsidian just couldn't stand on their own for the game. Alpha Protocol just came out and that game was reviewed as " tarnished by bugs" and rated very poorley across the board which is a shame because on paper that sounded like a very cool idea. In NV's case, I think Bethesda basically gave Obsidian the same exact tools, which were used by them, to try and construct a game but the problem is that FO3 had alot of bugs as well, and if we try to build with broken tools the results are never really satisfying. I'm not sure if Obsidian spread themselves too thin working on the 2 games around the same time or what, but I know I won't be picking up New Vegas anytime soon, probably a rent if anything.

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

When you guys are done fighting, would you kindly buy me a copy of the game? Still on my list of games I must play (Off-topic posting, I know).

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
I agree with you in principle that devs should work more to ensure that major glitches like the ones that have supposedly been happening with NV aren't in the game, but at the same time I've played NV for like 20 hours haven't had any glitches or freezes whatsoever so I honestly don't think its as bad as people are making it out to be either.
OneBadLT123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OneBadLT123
Member since 2005 • 1152 Posts

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Dude, we get it. You love this game and it works perfect for you. You dont have to be in every single thread about other peoples complaints.

OneBadLT123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 OneBadLT123
Member since 2005 • 1152 Posts

With that, I agree with the OP. This seems like the only industry where unfinised, broken products are tolerated. It would be like buying a movie and having certain scenes skip out, or cut through without any warning.

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

OneBadLT123

Dude, we get it. You love this game and it works perfect for you. You dont have to be in every single thread about other peoples complaints.

HIS COMPLAINT ISNT VALID HE HASN'T PLAYED THE GAME. Wow people seriously.... It would be one thing if he didn't single out new vegas and just said games in general, however he decided to troll and flame.

tainted0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tainted0ne
Member since 2009 • 151 Posts

I think a company feels a game is good enough to sell after the pre-order becomes platinum.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#32 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I too share the opinion that such things are not justifiable. As a programmer, it's one thing if the deliverable has some minor bug that is unlikely to be tripped by regular use. But it's safe to say that if your product is missing functionality or has clearly broken elements of functionality, someone's going to get punished, be it by a bad grade in school, or having all sorts of pay or employment stability issues at work. It's also why I can see going into an early 'crunch'... I know with me, if I know there's a problem, I get quite determined to fix and/or iron it out. At least I'd been lucky/grateful that at least once it is solved, the work does hold up, and it is therefore much more resilient with the new lesson learned.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

New Vegas is unplayable? that's taking it to far, all games have bugs in them (especially long games like rpg's and mmo's, no way for them to elimate all bugs), as long as the game is playable then it's fine by me (that's why you read reviews of the game you are going to buy), if a game breaks the game and makes it unplayable then it's a problem for me.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EvilSelf

I still dont see what the big deal is with this topic. There are two simple conclusions:

1. Fallout New Vegas is a very playable game and in fact is the best game this year and better than Fallout 3.

How in the hell am i able to be on my 4th playthrough (which i just started this morning) if this game was broken?Play the game and then judge.

2.The main point is unfinished product, being sold to a crowd of people, is a daylight robery to me and should not be tolerated in any possible way. End of stroy.

Did i mention that FNV is an amazing game yet?:)

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
it's not just video games, it's software in general. however console game developers don't have as much of an excuse seeing as how all the hardware should behave the same.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EvilSelf

it's not just video games, it's software in general. however console game developers don't have as much of an excuse seeing as how all the hardware should behave the same.teknic1200

The hardware behaves the same but the developer's ability to "exploit" and maximize its capabilities is not. Obsidian's ability falls short as we can witness...

As the great Yes Man (you might not know who i am talking about) would say: "Did i mention "exploit"?...it is such an ugly word..."

But yeah, this inability to maximise performance while minimize the bugfest is even a worst problem for which there is not excuse providing that XBOX;s hardware is static when it comes to upgrades (harddrive space is out of context)

Avatar image for StaticKornSlipX
StaticKornSlipX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StaticKornSlipX
Member since 2003 • 8261 Posts

Fallout New Vegas is a very playable game and in fact is the best game this year and better than Fallout 3.

EvilSelf

that fact is an opinion...gj on that one :P btw the year isn't quite over

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EvilSelf

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

Fallout New Vegas is a very playable game and in fact is the best game this year and better than Fallout 3.

StaticKornSlipX

that fact is an opinion...gj on that one :P btw the year isn't quite over

FNV is the best game this year that i have played...Fixed!:D

DeaconGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DeaconGrey
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I haven't had any trouble so far. It's frozen twice and the game's load times will slow after about 4 hours of playing it. Otherwise, epic. It's like F3 with a lotttttt more to do. Almost too much, but really adds to a real-life feeling of interaction.