Whats Blue Dragon like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

I've really want a new RPG and have seen mixed reviews for this game. I just wanted to get GS opinion on this.
Does it have good depth/story? I've nearly finished Lost Odyssey and need something to fill my next fix of RPG's.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#2 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

It's like Dragon Quest. It's generic turn based combat accompanied by a typical jrpg story with decent voice acting and a fantastic soundtrack aside from the terrible boss battle theme.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
Blue Dragon has a fun combat system (I found it far superior to Lost Odyssey's) though Lost Odyssey's Story was much much better than Blue Dragon's. Another option for you might be Tales of Vesperia which while the story has it's hokey moments early on, really starts to pick up later in the game. The combat system is also fun and the game has the feel of one of those old school PS1 type RPG's. Ofcourse I'd also recommend Mass Effect and Oblivion due to their insanely cheap price online (I got Mass Effect for 7 bucks).
phimseto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 phimseto
Member since 2003 • 267 Posts
It's...alright. I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not for everyone. I'd recommend Fallout 3, Two Worlds, or even some of the RPGs in the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection before Blue Dragon.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mythrol
It's like Dragon Quest. It's generic turn based combat accompanied by a typical jrpg story with decent voice acting and a fantastic soundtrack minus the terrible boss battle theme.vashkey
Generic turn based combat is NOT the way to describe Blue Dragon's Combat. The ability to charge spells, and the way they handle the Character Classes give it a step up for just a random click / attack, click / heal turn based battle system.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Most people I've talked to about it have said its quite mediocre. Sounds like a game that I'd play if I was really desparate for an RPG to play and had played everything else already.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

It's a very boring and uninteresting JRPG with unlikable characters and a cliche story. Your much better off sticking with Lost Odyssey.

Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

Blue Dragon has a fun combat system (I found it far superior to Lost Odyssey's) though Lost Odyssey's Story was much much better than Blue Dragon's. Another option for you might be Tales of Vesperia which while the story has it's hokey moments early on, really starts to pick up later in the game. The combat system is also fun and the game has the feel of one of those old school PS1 type RPG's. Ofcourse I'd also recommend Mass Effect and Oblivion due to their insanely cheap price online (I got Mass Effect for 7 bucks).mythrol

Cheers man, i really want Tales Of Vesperia, but i'm from the UK you see, and it still doesn't get released here for about another month :(.
Also, i've played through Mass Effect and Oblivion more times than i can count, love them :D
And i can get Blue Dragon at a store near me for 5 bucks, you reckon it's worth it?

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Get it for $5. I really enjoyed it.

Miles47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Miles47
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts

well, i havent played blue dragon so i dont know what its like, but ive played Lost odyssey and its a great game. As for rpg's to reccomend, i say Tales of Vesperia which was a great game, with very fun fights, or Oblivion, or fallout 3

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#12 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I just remembered, theres a demo for the game on the market place. How about you try that?
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mythrol

[QUOTE="mythrol"]Blue Dragon has a fun combat system (I found it far superior to Lost Odyssey's) though Lost Odyssey's Story was much much better than Blue Dragon's. Another option for you might be Tales of Vesperia which while the story has it's hokey moments early on, really starts to pick up later in the game. The combat system is also fun and the game has the feel of one of those old school PS1 type RPG's. Ofcourse I'd also recommend Mass Effect and Oblivion due to their insanely cheap price online (I got Mass Effect for 7 bucks).Oakfront

Cheers man, i really want Tales Of Vesperia, but i'm from the UK you see, and it still doesn't get released here for about another month :(.
Also, i've played through Mass Effect and Oblivion more times than i can count, love them :D
And i can get Blue Dragon at a store near me for 5 bucks, you reckon it's worth it?

For 5 bucks, yeah I think it's worth that. The way I determine if a game is worth it is I use a simple formula. For a new game I want to pay basically $1 per hour of gaming. So If I spend $60 on a game I expect to play the game for 60 hours. I usually don't buy new games because of that reason though. Blue Dragon I got an easy 30 hours out of it, so for 5 bucks that'd be an awesome deal.

Zephyroth666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Zephyroth666
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
for $5 its for sure worth it. the skill learning and setting is pretty much identical to that of Lost Odyssey. all the menu's and everything were very similar to LO but LO was a much better game overall. Blue Dragon has a bit more childish feel to it, the way the game tells you how to do everything when its very obvious. it was worth the 20 bucks i paid for it here when i was just looking for an rpg to play until Star Ocean 4 came out. buy it, play it, sell it for profit :)