what happened to the good old cheat codes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alsha3er78
Member since 2005 • 812 Posts

why don't most developers include any cheat codes with their games?  the pc versions always have cheats built into them, and I don't understand why most console games lack that feature.  to me, cheat codes are a vital part of the gaming experience.  sometimes I feel like plowing through a game without having to worry about dying.  I understand that they might be doing that to prevent people from using cheats to get their stupid achievements, but i'm sure they could disable achievements when a cheat is activated.

If someone out there knows any cheats for R6 Vegas, please feel free to share them with me.

Don0van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Don0van
Member since 2006 • 929 Posts
because peopel got good at games and they think people r smart enough to have fun and beat games wiht out the use of cheta codes
alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alsha3er78

because peopel got good at games and they think people r smart enough to have fun and beat games wiht out the use of cheta codesDon0van

so people were stupid 3 years ago? 

MuffinsKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MuffinsKill
Member since 2007 • 637 Posts
y do u want cheats?? just play for good ol' fun:)
alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alsha3er78

y do u want cheats?? just play for good ol' fun:)MuffinsKill

cheats are part of the fun.  how about being able to unlock cheats once you've finished the game the old fashioned way.

TicTac8745

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 TicTac8745
Member since 2007 • 3902 Posts
Saints Row had cheat codes, but if you used them, it disables the achievements.
Don0van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Don0van
Member since 2006 • 929 Posts

[QUOTE="Don0van"]because peopel got good at games and they think people r smart enough to have fun and beat games wiht out the use of cheta codesalsha3er78

well they didnt have as great games and all this new stuff we have now and they think people can handle games wi tout cheats

alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alsha3er78

Saints Row had cheat codes, but if you used them, it disables the achievements.TicTac8745

halo 1 and 2, R6 vegas, CoD 2 and 3, GoW, dead rising, and many more don't have any.  I just don't mind some mindless fun once in a while.

Jking98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Jking98
Member since 2003 • 1313 Posts
Cheat codes are stupid
alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alsha3er78
[QUOTE="alsha3er78"]

[QUOTE="Don0van"]because peopel got good at games and they think people r smart enough to have fun and beat games wiht out the use of cheta codesDon0van

well they didnt have as great games and all this new stuff we have now and they think people can handle games wi tout cheats

[/QUOTE

it's just nice to have the option to activate cheats. 

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

Its cause cheat codes lowered a games replay value, and games don't last as long with cheat codes. Game manufacturers want you to keep the games for as long as possible once purchased so they took out hceat codes, this way it took people longer to finish and lowered the amount of used copies flowing around in the market. The longer you keep a game the more new copies they sell and the less they have to worry about used copies competing with the sales.

The reason most PC games have cheat codes is cause used PC games have virtually no market and on top of that most PC games rely on online play and hence have anthentic CD Keys so that pushes new game sales.

So in short they took out cheat codes cause they don't you selling your game in like 2 days.  

joykills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joykills
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
yea take out cheat codes. the industry dont want new people to get into gaming. make gaming even harder huh. screw the noob huh. why try and appeal to the masses huh. just raise prices for the "gamer" and nickel dime them away huh. great just great huh?
alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alsha3er78

Its cause cheat codes lowered a games replay value, and games don't last as long with cheat codes. Game manufacturers want you to keep the games for as long as possible once purchased so they took out hceat codes, this way it took people longer to finish and lowered the amount of used copies flowing around in the market. The longer you keep a game the more new copies they sell and the less they have to worry about used copies competing with the sales.

The reason most PC games have cheat codes is cause used PC games have virtually no market and on top of that most PC games rely on online play and hence have anthentic CD Keys so that pushes new game sales.

So in short they took out cheat codes cause they don't you selling your game in like 2 days.  

pimperjones

Now this makes more sense than saying that people got smarter overnight and they don't need to cheat to beat a game.  it's funny, but if you follow the money, you will find an answer to almost every question. 

ROFLcopter_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ROFLcopter_69
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts

[QUOTE="MuffinsKill"]y do u want cheats?? just play for good ol' fun:)alsha3er78

cheats are part of the fun.  how about being able to unlock cheats once you've finished the game the old fashioned way.

agreed, sum games like the GTA series wouldnt be the same without cheats

kurtoronie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kurtoronie
Member since 2006 • 1097 Posts
Wrong. For the sake of achivement points. If there were cheats everyones gamerscore would be like 10,000
meangoldfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 meangoldfish
Member since 2003 • 348 Posts

i like cheat codes.  i'm not saying i used them often, but sometimes you just want to pop in some twisted metal, throw on all weapons, infinite ammo, and god mode and kill/blow up everything that moves.

i noticed cheat codes becoming less and less frequent since goldeneye made you start earning stuff.  that's the first game i played where you had to earn cheats.

but yeah, i want some more games with old-school cheats.

IDDQD.

LarsDooD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LarsDooD
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Wrong. For the sake of achivement points. If there were cheats everyones gamerscore would be like 10,000kurtoronie

Except games with cheat codes disable Achievements.

The GTA series rocks with cheat codes, there's nothing like trying to fly an ambulance around in an urban city. I really hope GTA4 still will have them. And yeah, while I don't care much for certain cheats that simply make the game easier, cheats that radically affect gameplay has HUGE replay value, unlike what some of you people might say. Try to beat GTA with every person in the city trying to beat you up or with every car flying around. 

Avatar image for matallicthewolf
matallicthewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 matallicthewolf
Member since 2004 • 815 Posts
I wish Konami still had "THE CODE" in their games like the Metal Gear games.
luke182777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 luke182777
Member since 2005 • 3070 Posts
i think cheat codes are kind of a slap in the face to game developers. its like saying to them, "hey, your game isn't good enough how it is. I need it to be totally mindless to appreciate it." you know? its like you making a beautiful painting, taking notice at every detail and having someone come up to you and say, "dude this sucks, you should have made a stick man so i could understand it."
wweraw123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 wweraw123
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts

um....yeah. i agree with the guy that started all this. cheat codes make games more fun. its like an added bonus when you have things like invincibility. it doesnt depreciate the value of the game. i have plenty of games that have cheats in them, and i have never wanted to sell any of them. just because some of you people get bored easily with short attention spans doesnt mean the rest of us cant enjoy our games with cheats for a loooong time. cheats make games fun to play, aand they make it possible to enjoy the graphics of todays games, because you could have invincibility and just walk around looking at what a great job people did with gears of war. but no, i guess the age of the cheat code is over. sucks for the gamers such as myself.

Toastman923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toastman923
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts

Yeah, i do miss codes....

Saints Row did it right by offering some cheats, while disabling achievements... which is a good thing (albeit the fact that the cheats were crap.  I like the whole keys to the city mode in Crackdown... that was a great idea.  GTA IV will probably include all teh classic cheats from flying cars to full arsenal, and whether they disable achievements while cheating (which they should) or not, cheating is always fun, and rockstar understands that lol 

Halo_Master95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Halo_Master95
Member since 2006 • 300 Posts

pimperjones

Not exactly true i got the Warcraft 3 Battlechest for x-mas and im about have way done with the undead campaign. I use cheats 

Spartan874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Spartan874
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts
crackdowns "keys to the city"
Noobtralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Noobtralizer
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
man i do miss the good ol' codes like DK mode (Golden Eye, Perfect Dark) and all those great cheats.....
319ni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 319ni
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts

gta always has cheats

up up left right down down triangle square circle down down r2 =  unlimited ammo and kingsize shoes

AlexRA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexRA
Member since 2006 • 2004 Posts
EA would rather sell it over live
dupe576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dupe576
Member since 2004 • 132 Posts
yeah.. i agree that sometimes cheat codes can be kindof fun.  At least for single player, multiplayer they shouldn't be allowed of course.  Not that I like to cheat often but sometimes its just fun to run around a level with invulnerability just to mix things up  every once and a while.  Speaking of which, anyone else remember the old codes for doom? I know i do. IDKFA BABY!!
hurricane006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 hurricane006
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts
They were replaced by the good ole' glitches.
Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#29 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts
yeah in the 360's case if they would have cheat codes that would be smarter is if you did use cheat codes, they would disable the achievements that would only be fair, because you honestly didnt get those achievements, because they would not have to work for the achievements normally
alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 alsha3er78
I just like being given a choice.  If someone wants to use them, that would be fine.  as I said before, cheats are part of the gaming experience.