What are your reasons for buying a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rdgd92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rdgd92
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts
Is it because you love the franchise and you want to keep supporting them, you heard the reviews and base your decision on what other people say, or that's just your favorite type of genre and you buy it. Why do you buy the certain games that you do?
Taggsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Taggsai
Member since 2007 • 1024 Posts
My games are mostly multiplayer, so I usually buy ones that I know atleast a couple of my friends are too.
scarymovie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 scarymovie5
Member since 2007 • 1691 Posts
I like AAA games mostly so i guess i fall for hype and reveiws.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i buy games because of how the reviews and things are like. if it sounds like a good game then i will get it.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I buy games based on what i'm in the mood for and what i think looks great. I bought Too human and it got a very low overall rating but i think it's amazing. I also buy games based on what fellow users say are underrated but only the ones that share a similar interest to me. I haven't bought a single game i hated this gen the closest i got to that is Splinter cell double agent but i got it for free and i'll give it a chance one day.
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts
its either i played the demo and i really enjoyed it or the game gets really good reviews and makes me go out to buy it.
gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
I have bought games because I like the franchises (Soulcalibur 4, GTA 4, Oblivion, soon to be RE 5). I also buy some games based on reviews and based on the developer. For example, I know anything that Bioware or Bethesda put out is going to be great after looking at the previews (Mass Effect, Fallout 3). I'm a sucker for any game either of those 2 game studios make. I do rent games often though. However, the only thing that really separates me from renting instead of buying is the the replay value. I know with Oblivion and Mass Effect I will get more replay value with those games than I would with Assassin's Creed and Bioshock. AC and Bioshock are great games, but once you beat them, there isn't much replay value. Replay value is something I'd like to have with the games that I buy.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I've not had a 360 that long to be buying games based on the strength of a franchise, though I did do that with PGR4! It depends what mood I'm in and what type of games I want to play next. I don't buy games without knowing a bit about them before getting them, so rarely get games I don't like. Price is also a factor, and I love to get a good deal rather than just pay full price because it is new. If there is a demo or atleast gameplay videos I will watch a few of those to decide if the game will appeal to me
Xternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Xternal
Member since 2005 • 530 Posts

I buy games for a mixture of reasons :)

I don't stick to one reason for buying a game, i buy games i feel in the mood for..

-Richie

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I buy games when I think they'll provide me with fun. Although, I hardly ever take multiplayer into account when purchasing a game.
Fogotmypantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fogotmypantz
Member since 2005 • 821 Posts
As long as it looks good. Took a chance with Deadpace and God that game was amazing.
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
For me it depends on the game. For example...with single player games, I tend to rely on my own personal preferences and I definitely do my research. Although, gameplay footage and video reviews help tremendously when I choose one. However, with multiplayer based games, I rely on the same things as I do for my single player games, but I also take in consideration the recommendations of those I game with. If quite a few of the folks in my union or friends on my list are playing a particular game that is praise worthy, I might be more inclined to pick up that particular title on the fly...
boxofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 boxofwit
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts
Demo, review, hype. Also, if it is a sequel and i liked he previous game.
Alloutofdonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alloutofdonuts
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
This is why I buy used at gamestop. I can't trust reviews, or adds. For example: Mercs 2 looked great and amazing and it sucked pretty bad IMO. Other games that got low review #'s I like [sometimes]. I think that in some cases people doing the reviews are either on drugs or getting paid to say the game is good when it in fact is horrid. I know it seems scummy to keep returning the games but they made it up not me. I may be the reason they do away with the 'return for any reason within 7days for 100% of your $ back' lol. I'm usually a shooter fan but as games get more innovative I think the genres will cross more and a 'shooter' won't be just a shooter anymore. So basically I take 0 risk on a game when I buy it. The only games that I've kept from the last 10 or so that I've bought and returned was Battlefield 2 Bad Company, which imo is one of the best in a while, & Far Cry 2 even though that has some pretty lame things about it too.
fracot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 fracot
Member since 2006 • 1278 Posts
I usually just rent games, the only reason I buy them is if they are teh big ones. Although I think I am going to start buying more so I can build my collection a bit more...
ChrisGamer5757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 ChrisGamer5757
Member since 2003 • 476 Posts
Call me cheap but firstly i go for what falls in price first, then secondly worry about wether it's something i'll like or not. The only game i've bought at full retail price was GTA4 ( a well worthy exception). I havn't as of yet bought a game i didnt enjoy and through my diligent patience have saved myself a fair bit of coin.
Avatar image for Killzone_Master
Killzone_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Killzone_Master
Member since 2004 • 5892 Posts
The games that i buy are because they are either sequels to the games that i already love. Most of my games are sport games, and multiplayer games. It is very hard for me to buy another game thats outside of my "core" games that i already play.
MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts
i buy games that are fun to play. specially if they have MP or Co Op. i rarely buy SP games.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts
I buy whatever I'm interested in and don't care about reviews / peoples opinions.
Avatar image for TwistedMetalFan
TwistedMetalFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 TwistedMetalFan
Member since 2006 • 266 Posts
Usally when buy a game that means I've looked into it enough that I'll know that I'll most likely enjoy it. Or that and one of the reasons I bought Left 4 Dead, to support Valve, the company who made it, because I havn't played a game by them that I didn't love. But mostly its because I've looked into it.
vp22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vp22
Member since 2008 • 1443 Posts
same here
enix165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 enix165
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts
Well, I usually check the reviews and ask my 360-geek friends(I have lots. XD) if they're any good, but if I can I try it out at a friend's place first. Thank god I managed to with Left 4 Dead, the reviews said it was great and my friends liked it more, but I can't stand it. XD