Warning to everyone! *read*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 cruxe
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts

Ok im not sure if anyone has posted this already but i though i would warn everyone.

I recently got a msg from a friend on xbox live telling me to visit a link for 800 free ms points.. stupidly, i did. It looked like an official xbox website with a place to put in your email and password for xbox.. stupidly again, i did. After that it reverted me to the official xbox website. Thinking nothing of it i went on playing (never got the 800 ms points)

And today i found 4 transaction taken from my account by Microsoft for $82.50 Australian dollars. I rang Microsoft who are now "looking into the matter" and of-course, cancelled my debit cards at my bank who are also "looking into the matter"

The only thing i feel now is utterly stupid. So before anyone else gets done like me i am posting this.

If you receive a msg from ANY of your friends about free ms points. DO NOT ACCEPT!

MM87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MM87
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
I think most of us are smart enough not to fall for that.
cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cruxe

are you the guy who put he's 360 in the freezer? lol.

I'm only posting so other people WONT be as stupid as me. I should have known what i was doing.. but it looked like an official ms website and it was sent by a close friend< who's account was also tampered with.

MM87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MM87
are you the guy who put he's 360 in the freezer? lol.cruxe
No. The only thing in my freezer is a big case of Italian Ice.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
sounds a lot like that thing on MSN telling people to download a "picture" but it's actually a virus.
metocman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 metocman1
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
That sucks man, I guess you learned a lesson to never give out personal info.
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts

[QUOTE="cruxe"]are you the guy who put he's 360 in the freezer? lol.MM87

Is your 360 inside that case?

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
you know... I usually make fun of people who are that dumb... but I will say this, I opened one of the sites just to see what it looks like, they have it set up to look EXACTLY like an MSN login and everything. If you get scammed on this it's really your own fault, but they do look pretty impressive.
cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cruxe

That sucks man, I guess you learned a lesson to never give out personal info.metocman1

Thanks.

See thats another thing though aswell. It was an old email adress that i never use anyway, i just forgot it was linked to my xbox as sign-in info and from that they got card numbers and so on. I thought i was just signing into the xbox site :(

cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cruxe

you know... I usually make fun of people who are that dumb... but I will say this, I opened one of the sites just to see what it looks like, they have it set up to look EXACTLY like an MSN login and everything. If you get scammed on this it's really your own fault, but they do look pretty impressive.mfp16

Im usually in the same boat as you. I have been around the Internet like the town bike since i was 13-14 and usually pick this sort of stuff. but yeah. my fault

twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
Oh yeah I got one of those messages before.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

:(

i got a mesage from sombody saying they know a hack to get to 1st on rank board on rainbow vegas 2 i said teach me but no.... they wanted my user info so i said it was a scam.

Gameslayer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Gameslayer3
Member since 2006 • 19915 Posts
I got that from some random. Forgot about the site like that but because I am not a dumb*** I didn't go to it or even look at it after I read free ms points.
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

You're using a credit card huh? This is why I like going to the store and buying me some MS Points card instead of using credit cards.

GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

Ok im not sure if anyone has posted this already but i though i would warn everyone.

I recently got a msg from a friend on xbox live telling me to visit a link for 800 free ms points.. stupidly, i did. It looked like an official xbox website with a place to put in your email and password for xbox.. stupidly again, i did. After that it reverted me to the official xbox website. Thinking nothing of it i went on playing (never got the 800 ms points)

And today i found 4 transaction taken from my account by Microsoft for $82.50 Australian dollars. I rang Microsoft who are now "looking into the matter" and of-course, cancelled my debit cards at my bank who are also "looking into the matter"

The only thing i feel now is utterly stupid. So before anyone else gets done like me i am posting this.

If you receive a msg from ANY of your friends about free ms points. DO NOT ACCEPT!

cruxe

*Whistles* Ouch.

cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cruxe

You're using a credit card huh? This is why I like going to the store and buying me some MS Points card instead of using credit cards.

ReverseCycology

no. its a debit card. ie: you have to have money in your account.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

Wait your not supposed to keep your 360 in the freezer?... I'll be right back.

MM87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MM87

[QUOTE="MM87"][QUOTE="cruxe"]are you the guy who put he's 360 in the freezer? lol.killercuts3

Is your 360 inside that case?

No sir.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts

[QUOTE="MM87"][QUOTE="cruxe"]are you the guy who put he's 360 in the freezer? lol.julianwelton

crikey! mines in my oven, hang on a moment guys.

TC- yeah thanks for the heads up, I dismiss any messages with "free" in them, but I'll be sure to be extra alert.

Fx20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fx20
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts

[QUOTE="metocman1"]That sucks man, I guess you learned a lesson to never give out personal info.cruxe

Thanks.

See thats another thing though aswell. It was an old email adress that i never use anyway, i just forgot it was linked to my xbox as sign-in info and from that they got card numbers and so on. I thought i was just signing into the xbox site :(

You should always look at the adress bar. If its not something like www.xbox.live.login.com or something like that, its a scam. Fishing sites are not that hard to make

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#21 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
mine is in the street hold on lol
Avatar image for sonnycorleone94
sonnycorleone94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 sonnycorleone94
Member since 2008 • 325 Posts

One time long long time ago... One of my friends told me he found a gay well naughty videos with boy on boy so i sent the website to all my friends on xbox and it turned out to be full of viruses and about 3 of my friends computers were just massacred. They are no longer on my friends list :(

Super-Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Super-Penguin
Member since 2005 • 703 Posts

thanks for the heads up.

wait does this mean gamefly's advertisement for 400 microsoft points is really a scam so they can steal my identity?

V1nnyUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 V1nnyUK
Member since 2008 • 185 Posts

cruxe

Exactlt the same thing happend 2 me about 2 weeks ago except my account was hacked.

SirCokerThe9th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SirCokerThe9th
Member since 2008 • 682 Posts

you got an EPIC FAIL. have a cup of tea and think it over next time.

Midnight_Ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Midnight_Ice
Member since 2006 • 1581 Posts
Yea u gotta watch out for those My cousin & a friend of mine fell for that never got there Gamer tags back ether called Microsoft & they said they will try to get it back but knowing them they didn't even try to they don't care plain & simple
Soda-Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Soda-Jack
Member since 2008 • 333 Posts

cruxe
Major Nelson was warning people against this scam over a month ago. Don't feel bad, obviously you weren't the only person to be tricked by these scam artists.
ProphecyAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ProphecyAU
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

too steps to aviod that stuff - 1) cut ur friends down to a minimum i.e. gettin rid of ppl you dont play with - this means any message from a friend then on can be trusted that little bit more

2) Dont be an idiot - asume no one is the world gives away anything

STMGG__60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 STMGG__60

cruxe

What a nice friend..

Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#30 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Haha, who would be stupid enough to go to one of those sites for "free" MS points? If you think about it REAL hard, which I am sure you did ::sarcasm:: That sucks that happened though. Next time you should think before you do that. Specially when they say it's "free"
drpepper2333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drpepper2333
[QUOTE="cruxe"]

STMGG__60

What a nice friend..

Exactly. Why would a "friend" send you that crap?

et3rnal_d00m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 et3rnal_d00m
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

Too good to be true?

gdogghenrikson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 gdogghenrikson
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts

[QUOTE="MM87"][QUOTE="cruxe"]are you the guy who put he's 360 in the freezer? lol.julianwelton

no sir it belongs in the oven. -)

kaycon11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kaycon11
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts

I only use American Ice.