Used XBOX 360 Slim 4GB : How can I tell if it's banned or has problems?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ElvinWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ElvinWasHere
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

[Posted on cheapassgamer too, but gamespot's forums seem more active]

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to purchase a 360 off of craigslist seeing as how it's cheaper than Black Friday deals. It's in good condition and comes with two games, cables, controllers, etc. But, how can I tell if it's worth a purchase? How can I tell if it's banned or will get banned? I've purchased plenty of PS3s (3 I think) of off Craigslist and I know the red flags for the PS3, but seeing as how this is my first 360, what should I look for? How can I tell?

It's a slim xbox. I'm coming over his place tomorrow to test it out. So I guess here's some things to look out for.

1. Check the console for physical defects, of course.
2. Power on the console.
2. Does the tray open/close?
3. Does the console read/play discs?
4. Sign in to XBL and see if any error messages come up. Test to see if banned.

These tests should be good enough right?

tb0rg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 tb0rg0
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts

yup

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to purchase a 360 off of craigslist seeing as how it's cheaper than Black Friday deals. It's in good condition and comes with two games, cables, controllers, etc. But, how can I tell if it's worth a purchase? How can I tell if it's banned or will get banned? I've purchased plenty of PS3s (3 I think) of off Craigslist and I know the red flags for the PS3, but seeing as how this is my first 360, what should I look for? How can I tell?

It's a slim xbox. I'm coming over his place tomorrow to test it out. So I guess here's some things to look out for.

2. Power on the console.

ElvinWasHere

Those should work. If it's signs into Live it's not banned.

The Slims are pretty reliable so if everything works you should be all set.

Like anything else, if it is all scratched up and beat up just avoid it.

Scyntheren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Scyntheren
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Hey guys,

2. Power on the console.

ElvinWasHere
1. Yup 2. Yup 3. Yup 4. Yup 5. Yes, and yes. For another test: I recommend checking the back of the console to see if the warranty sticker is in anyway damaged, cut or has been removed. This is the best way to check if the console has been opened up at all, albeit it depending on the date of purchase it could be one that isn't capable of being modded. As far as I know Microsoft doesn't ban whole consoles from Live unless they are modified in some way, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.