They ban me for a month for this?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DutchDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DutchDoc
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

I know the code of conduct implies you may not use bad language in your motto/bio, but it doesn't say as a reference.

I've put a Duke Nukem slogan in my bio some time ago and never looked back, now some strange people are searching through my account for no apparent reason and decide to flag me because i have this slogan in my bio?

and i get banned for a month for this? If microsoft is putting these rules then why sell games in which you're able to use a reference as i did in which the code of conduct doesn't count?

and the worst part is that they won't let me contact them, don't think i'm upset by this... i can do without a monthbut i find it strange for microsoft to be a hypocrite like this.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
What was the slogan?
asdar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 asdar
Member since 2004 • 37 Posts

Considering some of the things I've seen it does seem harsh. Just the same I'm please overall to have them banning someone for something.

Every night I see someone with offensive gamer tag, clan tag or one of those glitch, button names that are nasty and hateful. I'm not easily offended and cussing doesn't bother me at all, but some of them I think should be banned.

Listening to this, I don't think it seems like you should have been banned, my sympathies.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

you got an XBOX LIVE moderator angry and they did an investigation on yor account, thats what really happened. It happens fronm time to time, these Mods can be harsh.

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I know the code of conduct implies you may not use bad language in your motto/bio, but it doesn't say as a reference.

DutchDoc

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

"You said I can't punch you in the face, but you didn't say I can't punch you in the face if I'm wearing a yellow shirt...." :roll:

No bad language means no bad language dude...it really isn't that difficult to understand you know. In fact, it's kinda hilarious that you made a thread which advertises the fact that you didn't understand a basic rule :lol:

Avatar image for Mysticaloldbard
Mysticaloldbard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mysticaloldbard
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts

If you're cursing like a truck driver, and mouthing off to the point of distraction in-game, I would understand a ban. To reference a game, maybe not. It would depend on the quote. I mean, it's not like you were quoting the lyrics of some grindcore band.. a game couldn't have warranted a ban.

DutchDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DutchDoc

It was just a reference i put in my bio when i wasn't even an adult, i just never looked back.
and now after a couple of years they decided to ban me all of a sudden.

Couldn'tthey at least give me a warning of some sort to change or remove it?

To the above poster, i indeed heard that some mods are put off easilyand/orcorrupt like "ThePro" or something like that. Don't know for sure but that's what i've heard.

Still it's nonsense, i pay for LIVE meaning i'm one of the contributors keeping the service alive and now some douchebag decides to give me the full judgement instead of giving me a warning first.

i don't freaking care if there's nothing in my bio, if references are not allowed either then just give me a message or something.

DutchDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DutchDoc

[QUOTE="DutchDoc"]

KlepticGrooves

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

"You said I can't punch you in the face, but you didn't say I can't punch you in the face if I'm wearing a yellow shirt...." :roll:

No bad language means no bad language dude...it really isn't that difficult to understand you know. In fact, it's kinda hilarious that you made a thread which advertises the fact that you didn't understand a basic rule :lol:

hold on hold on

If Microsoft was selling media be it a video or game in which you can punch a guy in the face then banning me for using it as a reference in my bio and saying it was against the rule?

If you put up these rules and sell games in which they are broken but justified by the code of conduct but not by the buyer then the rule isn't legit.

gawnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gawnn
Member since 2003 • 312 Posts

All I can say is that I get sooo pissed off while playing COD or Halo online, I talk so much trash. I'm not proud of it but, yeah, I'm surprised I haven't been banned.

Tripleseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tripleseed
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

KlepticGrooves

That's a silly way of thinking, KlepticGrooves. If you want Microsoft to trample all over your freedom of speech than that's fine, but they don't really have the right and some ridiculous "Code of Conduct" certainly does not give them the power to impose a stringent "anti-bad language" campaign. The very argument is preposterous in and of itself when you take into account how many f-bombs and n'ers and a'holes you encounter while playing any videogame on Live. Don't defend censorship (like the nazi's). Give a moderator a little bit of power and they lock threads everywhere and ban people's accounts (which they payed for) on Live. Awesome!

2kfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 2kfan
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts

What was the quote? If it was something that said a bunch of bad words I guess I could understand why they banned you, but if it was just something like Sh*t that thing's ugly!" then they probably had almost no reason to ban you.

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KlepticGrooves

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

Tripleseed

That's a silly way of thinking, KlepticGrooves. If you want Microsoft to trample all over your freedom of speech than that's fine, but they don't really have the right and some ridiculous "Code of Conduct" certainly does not give them the power to impose a stringent "anti-bad language" campaign. The very argument is preposterous in and of itself when you take into account how many f-bombs and n'ers and a'holes you encounter while playing any videogame on Live. Don't defend censorship (like the nazi's). Give a moderator a little bit of power and they lock threads everywhere and ban people's accounts (which they payed for) on Live. Awesome!

Sure, the rule is probably unjust - but it's in place anyway. As such, I find it strange how the OP is seemingly suprised that he was banned.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

Tripleseed

You willfully gave them that right when you agreed to the terms of use when you set up the account. If you don't like the rule, don't sign up.

It's not rocket science.

Speaking of which.. deciding what's offensive and what's not isn't a science at all. There are no bots the troll bios and game session for offending words. If there's a complaint, they research it on a case-by-case.

Just because you got away with breaking a rule doesn't entitle you to some right to continue breaking that rule.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
Are you talking about the kick a** and chew bubblegum one? If so then my friends bio has been something about kicking a** for over a year and hasn't been banned. Weird I also thought that was a 1-day suspension and 1-month without motto/bio privileges
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

you got an XBOX LIVE moderator angry and they did an investigation on yor account, thats what really happened. It happens fronm time to time, these Mods can be harsh.

DranzarTypeF
Especially the crooked mods. GameSpot has them I'm sure and most certainly Xbox LIVE has them..ever heard of ThePro? He's one I've heard of. I got suspended from LIVE for 14 days because of a Bio that made an image of a robot..?? I'm like wtf...lol. I'm pretty sure I've got a MOD who purposefully suspends me from time to time..especially if you run into one in Gears2 and own them. And 1 month is ridiculous..this is why I only add Xbox LIVE time in 3 month intervals. I shouldn't have added the 6months I did from the get go.
DutchDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DutchDoc

[QUOTE="Tripleseed"]

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

VoodooHak

You willfully gave them that right when you agreed to the terms of use when you set up the account. If you don't like the rule, don't sign up.

It's not rocket science.

Speaking of which.. deciding what's offensive and what's not isn't a science at all. There are no bots the troll bios and game session for offending words. If there's a complaint, they research it on a case-by-case.

Just because you got away with breaking a rule doesn't entitle you to some right to continue breaking that rule.

Seriously you can't be 100% serious

There are mods who abuse their power but i don't see them being thrown off their throne of power. For example: "ThePro" just look it up on youtube they guy has complaints from different people who pay for their LIVE accounts.

And as i said, i used it as a reference... it's not like i put it there to piss random people off, i put it there because i had a good few laughs of it when i was young and played the darn game.

still i can't figure out why they just don't send me a warning first as this "ThePro" as well claims but doesn't.

Tripleseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tripleseed
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

It's not rocket science.

VoodooHak

Your argument is stale. The terms of use is often seen as something more than it is. I never "willfully" gave them the right to do anything. In reality, they try to impose their self-entitled "rights" on you without giving you any option to speak otherwise. This is not only unconstitutional, but it is unjust. It's not rocket science (jackass), it's common God damn sense! I never claimed there were bots in place, either. You clearly misinterpreted my message.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

I pissed off a GTA developer before and nothing happened lol

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

It's not rocket science.

Tripleseed

Your argument is stale. The terms of use is often seen as something more than it is. I never "willfully" gave them the right to do anything. In reality, they try to impose their self-entitled "rights" on you without giving you any option to speak otherwise. This is not only unconstitutional, but it is unjust. It's not rocket science (jackass), it's common God damn sense! I never claimed there were bots in place, either. You clearly misinterpreted my message.

My argument is as stale as your argument is ignorant.

You definitely DID give them the right to moderate their service as they see fit, and take action at their discretion. You agreed to it in order to activate your account. They gave you the option and spelled it out in black and white. How hard is that to understand?

Agree to the terms, then welcome to the service.

Don't agree to the terms, then look elsewhere.

No. It's not rocket science. It requires the ability to read and tiny bit of comprehension to understand what you're getting yourself into.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VoodooHak

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="Tripleseed"]

DutchDoc

It's not rocket science.

Seriously you can't be 100% serious

There are mods who abuse their power but i don't see them being thrown off their throne of power. For example: "ThePro" just look it up on youtube they guy has complaints from different people who pay for their LIVE accounts.

And as i said, i used it as a reference... it's not like i put it there to piss random people off, i put it there because i had a good few laughs of it when i was young and played the darn game.

still i can't figure out why they just don't send me a warning first as this "ThePro" as well claims but doesn't.

I followed The Pro drama from start to finish, and know that initially released audio was severely (and unskillfully) edited in favor of the person being banned. Having heard the unedited audio, The Pro was too lenient. That kid's mom at least got a phone call about it. I hope they let her listen to the whole thing.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

[QUOTE="DutchDoc"]

DutchDoc

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

hold on hold on

If Microsoft was selling media be it a video or game in which you can punch a guy in the face then banning me for using it as a reference in my bio and saying it was against the rule?

If you put up these rules and sell games in which they are broken but justified by the code of conduct but not by the buyer then the rule isn't legit.

This is why games/movies have ratings like E,E10+,T,M,PG,PG-13,R is for the reason of what is contained in that game/movie, but mottos/bios don't have ratings so you have to follow rules. Also common sense(which I know is something that is coming more and more extinct as time goes by) should tell you that if something is referenced or not it doesn't matter as it is against the rules.

Avatar image for hardcoregamer92
hardcoregamer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardcoregamer92
Member since 2006 • 1124 Posts

I pissed off a GTA developer before and nothing happened lol

N7v1K0

Cool... story... bro...

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Ok, so what was the quote?
DutchDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DutchDoc

[QUOTE="DutchDoc"]

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

ghstbstr

hold on hold on

This is why games/movies have ratings like E,E10+,T,M,PG,PG-13,R is for the reason of what is contained in that game/movie, but mottos/bios don't have ratings so you have to follow rules. Also common sense(which I know is something that is coming more and more extinct as time goes by) should tell you that if something is referenced or not it doesn't matter as it is against the rules.

aw come on, those ratings are overrated... if i go to the videostore they don't have warnings for children that "this is the adult section". When i was 5 i've seen the naked ladies on the covers of the dvd boxes so many times i even didn't notice the ratings.

btw if you think microsoft is 100% right all the time then look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQgtTr8eNTo

summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
WHAT WAS THE QUOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!? thats the real question.
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KlepticGrooves

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]

[QUOTE="DutchDoc"]

hold on hold on

DutchDoc

aw come on, those ratings are overrated... if i go to the videostore they don't have warnings for children that "this is the adult section". When i was 5 i've seen the naked ladies on the covers of the dvd boxes so many times i even didn't notice the ratings.

btw if you think microsoft is 100% right all the time then look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQgtTr8eNTo

Those ratings are put in place because the content is deemed unsuitable for certain audiences.

Anyway, this thread should be an open-and-shut case. You agreed to not include bad language in your bio/profile when you agreed to the terms and conditions. If you didn't agree with what the rules said, you shouldn't have signed up dude.

I'm baffled as to how you are still arguing your point....

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Ok, so what was the quote?shaunchgo
Please tell us this so we can close the book on this argument and call it a day.

Avatar image for NintendoLover00
NintendoLover00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NintendoLover00
Member since 2008 • 2426 Posts
I'm assuming it is.... It's time to kick a** and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum. lol That was my bio for a while, nothing happened to me.
Whiskeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Whiskeh
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Technically you did break a rule/the rules. Most likely, a mod went berserk on your account and did a full investigation and then banned you.
GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts
hmm that sucks, i have seen alot of borderline raunchy stuff, i get banned on psn alot but u can just make a new account no problem
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

Tripleseed

It's microsoft's console, their network, and you pay for it. They can do anything they want. If you make your own website, you can say anything. But on someone else's network you are at the terms of their agreement.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
more to this than your letting on, you dont get banned for 1 month for putting swearing on your bio once,. you've been banned and warned a few times before. and it dont matter if its a quote from a game, if its bad language and against the terms and conditions then its not allowed. get over it
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="KlepticGrooves"]

Oh c'mon pal!

It's like saying:

Tripleseed

Um.... Yes, they do have the right... And yes, their silly Code of Conduct gives them that power... If you don't like it, then don't use their service...

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

what did it actually say?

was it just like "Fudge you!"

or was it more like "I killed a [insert ethnicity here]"

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

With Duke Nukem, no doubt it's offensive. Some people more than likely saw it and filed a complaint. You cruised along until you got enough to get their attention. It sucks. You can't do anything offensive even if it's a quote from a game.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

honestly dude, you completely deserve it, i mean CoD has swears, and i dont put those in my motto/bio, it isnt that hard to follow the rules

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#38 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Lesson learned. Life goes on.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

Not only could they ban you for a month for that, they can also ban you permanantly for no reason at all.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts
BTW my vote's on the "I've got balls of steel!" quote.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
BTW my vote's on the "I've got balls of steel!" quote.Ilikemyname420
If it was worth getting banned over, it might have been the "I'm going to rip your head off and [read the newspaper] down your neck!" quote, too. :O
Anjunaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Anjunaddict
Member since 2010 • 4178 Posts
I had some pretty dodgy stuff on my bio too, which got reported and I got a 14 day suspension (at least I think it was 14 days) and all my info was changed to 'code of conduct'
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 djrobst
your stupid to think that if it says no offensive content, that you are allowed to put offensive content up if its a reference.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#44 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="Tripleseed"]

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

It's not rocket science.

This is like saying "I shouldn't have to pay taxes because I never 'wilfully' gave the government the right to take my money." The rule isn't completely fair, yes, but it's still there. Just follow it people. :roll: And way to call someone a jackass on an internet forum. Grow up.
myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

It's not rocket science.

Tripleseed

Your argument is stale. The terms of use is often seen as something more than it is. I never "willfully" gave them the right to do anything. In reality, they try to impose their self-entitled "rights" on you without giving you any option to speak otherwise. This is not only unconstitutional, but it is unjust. It's not rocket science (XXXXXX, it's common God XXXX sense! I never claimed there were bots in place, either. You clearly misinterpreted my message.

LMAO at the fact you think a privately run service imposing their rules of conduct is unconstitutional. It's a completely optional service that nobody is forcing you to use. Since you have to agree to their rules prior to using it, that makes it YOUR decision to limit your speech. Last I checked it wasn't possible to violate your own rights. It would only be unconstituional if you were forced to use their service.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 djrobst
to be honest im suprised the bio is largely uncensored, i couldnt even use the word towel on my moto when i first setup a profile. but anything goes in the bio lol
Moog35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Moog35
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts

A friend of mine got a one day ban for having a bad word in his profile. Only a one day ban so if you got a month than this isnt your first ban for this.

LittleEnid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LittleEnid
Member since 2009 • 552 Posts

Some information thats been repeatedly asked for in this thread, and it's never been answered: what the quote was, and if you had been reported multiple times in a very short span of time.

By the information you have given, it's obvious you broke the code of conduct, but a month-long ban is outrageous for a first-time mild violation. You wouldn't give a kid an F on a report card for being 20 minutes late to class once. There's a difference between breaking a rule and saying it's wrong to be punished for it, and being punished to an extreme.

Either the whole story isn't here (which I'm guessing is more accurate) or people should be alarmed that Mods aren't being moderated themselves. What would stop Microsoft from banning for non-sensical offenses for 6 months and just pocketing the money?

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

Someone told me I should change my gamertag because it could get me banned. Don't know how the gamertag "OrangePopsicle1" would get me banned. I don't even have my 360 hooked up to the internet.

jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

Lol. At least you kinda know what you got suspend for. I got suspened for like 3? days, I am not sure why. My motto was "Halo ODST and MW2? Never heard of em" Then I was suspened. I was in a party and didn't send ANYONE messages of hate mail. So I am not sure about that one. Also, why can't you use Code of Conduct as a motto? I do however live in Code of Conductland.