The Notorious gaming droughts of Summer, what's your plan?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soufan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soufan123
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts

As I'm sure you all know, summers are usually filled with close to no big releases when it comes to gaming and there really is nothing to look forward to. Does anyone have their gaming planned out? I haven't touched my xbox for close to a month because of school and other things, but now I really want to invest some quality time in gaming because I miss it soo much.

Does anyone feel the same way? What are you guys playing? I'm looking to get a good multiplayer game and even though Battlefield 3 comes out in a couple of months I have never played BFBC2 and I may just pick it up.

Spongebuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Spongebuck
Member since 2010 • 79 Posts

I've found my way through by playing games I got stuck on ages ago or just stoped playing for one reason or anther. Most of them are quite fun to play i.e Assassains Creed II and Just Cause 2. Others are a bit of an effort such as The Godfather 2 and Wheelman.

I've also got the thought of the great games coming out in November to keep me going such as Saints Row 3, Elder Scrolls 5, Batman: Arkham City.

Plan on re-playing Mass Effect 2 with my vanguard character from ME1 as well at somepoint.

gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts
If your looking for something now.. get BFBC2 and play online.. its awesome.
NoDzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 NoDzombie
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

i like the drought in the summer, gives me a chance to catch up with my massive backlog of games

i have had less time than normal to play in the last few months, and as a reslut i have about 20 games sitting in my backlog right now (across all platforms) which is way more than normal, so hopefully the next few months will give me the time to get stuck into them, and hopefully finish as many as possible before Gears 3 is released.......

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I've found my way through by playing games I got stuck on ages ago or just stoped playing for one reason or anther. Most of them are quite fun to play i.e Assassains Creed II and Just Cause 2. Others are a bit of an effort such as The Godfather 2 and Wheelman.

I've also got the thought of the great games coming out in November to keep me going such as Saints Row 3, Elder Scrolls 5, Batman: Arkham City.

Plan on re-playing Mass Effect 2 with my vanguard character from ME1 as well at somepoint.

Spongebuck
This I get caught up in my games.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
I play through my backlog, just beat crysis 2, now I'm off to halo reach. Gasp...I haven't even played my copy of gears 2 yet!
Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
Play through old games. Play Gears 2 online, and play through games from Gamefly....
fracot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 fracot
Member since 2006 • 1278 Posts

I usually just go back to older games and replay them, can be surprisingly fun.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#9 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I generally just watch Netflix for the summer. And of course I save up money for the fall/winter games.
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
AC Brotherhood, The Orange Box, and The Beatles: Rock Band have remained unopened on my shelf dating as far back as last summer. Given how jam-packed Fall/Winter 2011's title release calendars are, and the fact that I'm starting university soon, that's really gonna have to change.
ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
I usually spend the summer catching up on games that I wanted to play the year before, but didn't. That or I try out some new arcade titles.
Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

I'm playing my way through the immense backlog I've accumulated.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm actually planning on getting a 360 and playing some titles I didn't get on the PS3, like the first Mass Effect and Metro 2033.

singtim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 singtim
Member since 2011 • 38 Posts
i just get on ebay and get all the games i never played but heard were very good from the last couple years, plus theyre all dirt cheap by now!
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I will be mostly playing LA NOIRE, Portal 2 and one of Demon's Forge, Fear 3 or Dungeon Siege 3. I have a month vacation in Europe as well so there will no gaming during that time...Actually, scratch that. I will be playing something on the PSP....

Avatar image for der_spudmeister
der_spudmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 der_spudmeister
Member since 2005 • 607 Posts
I still need to buy Mortal Kombat, Alice: Madness Returns and L.A. Noire + I still have some DLC to finish for Red Dead Redemption (Undead Nightmare pack) and the last Alan Wake pack. I haven't fully finished Dirt 2 and Dead Rising 2 yet either, and I just started Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja. Then Arcade-wise, there's a couple of Summer of Arcade games I'm interested in (mostly Bastion and From Dust) on top of Arcade games that are already out but I still need to buy (Trenched and Swarm) and who knows, maybe Microsoft will do some summer deals for Xbox Live, as I remember some deals at the beginning of last summer. But that's not all! I can still borrow Wet, Vanquish, Bayonetta and Bioshock 2 from a friend, in case I really don't know what to do (or if I am too cheap to spend money on games, I am pretty cheap when it comes to games) That obviously doesn't mean that I'll buy or finish all of the aforementioned games this summer, it just means that I have plenty of options :)
BiThBhE0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BiThBhE0
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
I'm actually glad nothing is coming out that I want because I have plenty to catch up on. I haven't even started Batman Arkham Asylum yet, just pick up Dirt 3 a little while ago, almost all the DLC for Borderlands and I still have yet to play MGS4. Then I have plenty of other games I can play for achievements. So I should be fine till Gears 3 comes out.
ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

Yeah, I have tons of games to catch up on the achievements. So, I trying to play the catch up game before the fall release.

tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

well i still need to finish super meat boy, and i just got mortal kombat so ill probably just spend all summer trying to get better at that. but ive also been playing stuff like bfbc2 and halo reach so i have plenty to keep me occupied until gears 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i just made a trouser malfunction

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
july fear 3 xbox 360 and call of juzarez cartel august deus ex human revolution for ps3 thats games i buy until R3 and gears of war 3 coming and i have a lot unfinished games like yakuza 4 la noire alice dirt3 dragon age 2
2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
I actually like the drought, gives me a chance to buy games i havnt gotten a chance to play and i can find them used now for cheap. great time to catch up on good games i could not get at the time of their release.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've got Final Fantasy XIII to finish, Lost Odyssey to start, I just bought Soul Calibur IV, and I also need to finish Okamiden. I'd say I've got alot to do.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Well, as far as the 360 is concerned, I'll be burning through Dirt 3 MP and Shift 2, finally getting around to L.A. Noire, maybe go through some stuff I missed in Mass Effect 2, and maybe go through Portal 2 again for the dev commentary. Might also pick up some arcade games later, so not much of a drought for me actually.

Aside from that, I'll just be playing some DS and Wii games I haven't touched.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I plan on finishing some games in my backlog, getting Shadows of the Damned and buying a 3DS and Ocarina 3D.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I've got no backlog so I'm pretty much bored. I'll get some good SP games I guess.
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

Call of Juarez: The Cartel, New Vegas DLC, Catherine, Max Payne 3, Deus Ex, LOTR: War in the North, and Dead Island. What drought?

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

Call of Juarez: The Cartel, New Vegas DLC, Catherine, Max Payne 3, Deus Ex, LOTR: War in the North, and Dead Island. What drought?

Schreek
Max PAyne 3 this summer?
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Schreek

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

LustForSoul

Max PAyne 3 this summer?

Whoops, sorry I am living in the past. It was planned for August but that has been done for a while haha.

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#29 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
There are usually games that I haven't played, or there are games that I have and need to go through them to get the achievements...there really isn't any downtime as a gamer.
Ford_Cruller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ford_Cruller
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts

Will be playing Bastion and Guardian Heroes when they are released on XBLA this summer. Plan on playing through Batman AA as well.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

Will be playing Bastion and Guardian Heroes when they are released on XBLA this summer. Plan on playing through Batman AA as well.

Ford_Cruller
Batman is amazing. I didn't like it at first, but couldn't stop playing it once everything clicked. It's now one of my all time favourite games.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#32 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Getting Black ops and Bad company 2 back, regret selling them.

Dirt 3, L.A Noir, Red Faction armageddon, and the entire F.E.A.R franchise start off with the original.

This all requires money, so in the meantime, Just Cause 2. I see countless hours ahead.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

well i still need to finish super meat boy, and i just got mortal kombat so ill probably just spend all summer trying to get better at that. but ive also been playing stuff like bfbc2 and halo reach so i have plenty to keep me occupied until gears 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i just made a trouser malfunction

tomrocks666
That reminds me, I've gotta finish Super Meat Boy as well Just gotta get through 14 more levels of Rapture.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

On 360 I plan to maybe finish Bully, and Ballad of G@y tony. And keep playing Reach up until CE Remake comes out

Other than that I plan on playing all the awesome 3DS and DS games coming out during the summer.

I know Deus Ex and Driver come out in August, but neither really catch my attention.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"][QUOTE="Schreek"]

Schreek

Max PAyne 3 this summer?

Whoops, sorry I am living in the past. It was planned for August but that has been done for a while haha.

Any confirmation Link for Dead Island? I work at a game retailer and that 8/2 date is simply a place holder. No one knows when it comes out unless the dev has said otherwise and I'm mistaken

Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"] Max PAyne 3 this summer?darth-pyschosis

Any confirmation Link for Dead Island? I work at a game retailer and that 8/2 date is simply a place holder. No one knows when it comes out unless the dev has said otherwise and I'm mistaken

Dead Island comes out Sept. 6th...
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Schreek

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="Schreek"]Whoops, sorry I am living in the past. It was planned for August but that has been done for a while haha.

Warablo13

Dead Island comes out Sept. 6th...

September 9th actually. I am considering that summer seeing as my classes don't start until the 13th.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I try to get caught up in the games I've already purchased that I haven't played.

JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JStroud88
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Eh, well I guess in terms of full-retail releases there is a drought during Summer.

Summer always has the BEST arcade games. Try out Trenched (just came out) and Ms. Splosion Man (July 13th), both are awesome Arcade games.

Oh, and definitely get BF:BC 2 GREAT game, still widely played.

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

Im playing Medal of honor,Gears 1,and today i just got Guitar Hero 3.My gaming this summer is perfect :)

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

Replaying the AC games for the fourth time (with the execption of Brotherhood, that makes my second), and replaying Alan Wake. I'll play some MP games probably, too.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
If you have a gaming backlog like some of us who are busy during the times when there aren't "droughts" in gaming then you're never really in a gaming drought.
Anthrizacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Anthrizacks
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts
I'm about 85-100 games behind from years past. I'll make due until Fall.
JadeNic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JadeNic
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

I have quite an overwhelming backlog of games at the moment, so I welcome these "droughts" where I am not tempted to purchase new games to add to it. I don't think there will ever be a time where I can say I have nothing to play.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Just the usual FM3 and rent a few games.
zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts
I was thinking of buying the new Red Faction game until I read the reviews. Instead of that, I might buy Far Cry 2 in anticipation of 3. I'll also probably play BFBC2 just because I like that more than Call of Duty. I'm so pumped for Battlefield 3 and Gears of War 3 later this year so I'll just play games to pass the time until those come out. September's going to be a big gaming month because of the open multiplatform beta for BF3 and Gears 3 coming out on the 20th.
Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
buy the games i've been meaning to buy but didn't have time for
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

There are a few games that I missed that I plan to catch up on during the "drought" but as Summers go this one has a pretty decent gaming line up. L.A. Noire at the end of May, Infamous 2 in June, Call Of Juarez: The Cartel in July, Deus Ex in August and then Resistance 3 and Gears 3 in September.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
I'm about to get inFamous 2 after I finish replaying inFamous so that will keep me occupied for a bit. After that I'll probably start replaying some other games to get ready for the fall sequels (Gears 1 and 2, Uncharted 1 and 2, Batman AA, The Darkness, etc.). Also gonna try and work on my backlog. I have yet to even open my copy of DA II so that's near the top of the list.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I'm neck deep in 3 RPGs that aren't new releases right now, and I've got an enormous list of wanted games, as well as a decent sized backlog, so I don't think I'm going to have a problem. I think this is the case with most multi-genre, multi-platform gamers these days.

My advice for those who are experiencing a lack of gaming material:

1. Pick up some value games and play those.

2. Use the time to put extra effort into your underdevelopes RPG characters/parties.

3.Put some time into retro gaming.