System Needs A good ARPG!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts

I'm talking, a good, long, online ARPG a la Diablo or like the Phantasy Star series on the Dreamcast. It doesn't have to be an MMO, max maybe 4-8 per game online, this way we don't get hit with monthly fees, but don't make it only 2 players like Too Human, because part of the fun of these types of games is being able to show off your tricked out characters.

A couple of developers have hinted at making an IMO awesome game like this on the system. Kingdom Under Fire had the item collection and player limit right, but it didn't have the longevity, nor any semblance of item or weapon balance. Too Human was a nice experimental attempt, but the player limit I think really brought it down. Even something like Two Worlds had some similar elements, with its online portion, but it was just too laggy, buggy and downright amateurish in execution to really amount to much.

Anyways, one mans opinion, what say you?

2birds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 2birds
Member since 2006 • 773 Posts
Definately! its what im longing for on XBL i can live with shooters but i'd much rather be playing an RPG with mates, i bought two worlds for xbl stuff and that just upset me! i hope they bring somthing good out soon!
Zoldaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zoldaire
Member since 2005 • 154 Posts
Oh god yes, make an ARPG for Xbox that has a really good live support, like Diablo 2. That would really boost the systems online play alot. There's nothing better then to play an APRG with mates online and just talking to them via the headset and shouting "AAH! Get that ghoul off of me!"
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I'd love a Diablo styIe game on 360, but the closest thing I've found so far is Too Human. Decent fun in coop, but it could have been much more fun with 4 people - 2 is just too restrictive. While it isn't really anything like Diablo, the only long Action RPG in a similar era is Oblivion. I guess you can cross your fingers and hope that Blizzard port Diablo 3 to console, but for me that is one game I will definitely get on PC.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
If Borderlands turns out to be a good game, that might fit the bill for what you're looking for. It's supposed to be a 3rd person shooter with Diablo 2 style item collecting, the developer actually referenced Diablo 2 when discussing how extensive the items are, and it's supposed to have 4 player co-operative throughout the entire story. I've read articles on this game and, based on the screenshots, the graphics look good as well. Hopefully this one turns out to be a quality title.
brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

You should check out Sacred 2: fallen angel. I think it comes out pretty soon (Q1 2009?). Its a ARPG ala Diablo with a fantasy setting (Orcs, goblins, undead, dragons etc) giant map and lots of items to collect. Theres is 6 character classes to choose from where everyone has a both good and evil storyline ( besides the inquistor - evil only and seraphim - good only). Every class will obtain a special mount at a certain level (did I mention mounted combat :P), the lvl progression is up to lvl 250.

The PC version of this game came out late last year, I find it quite good but since I played it since day one there were a lot of server issues and bugs that prevented me from fully enjoying this game so I made a pause untill its gonna be released for the 360. Hopefully they solve most of the previous issues.

The multiplayer of the PC ver. consists of these three gametypes; Campaign - 4 player coop that drives the mainquest forward, FFA - up to 16 players that can team up to do sidequests, grind or bosshunt, FFAPVP - the same as FFA with player vs player enabled.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
Eh, I'm content with Star Ocean for now. 5 more days!!
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Avenger1324

The multiplayer of the PC ver. consists of these three gametypes; Campaign - 4 player coop that drives the mainquest forward, FFA - up to 16 players that can team up to do sidequests, grind or bosshunt, FFAPVP - the same as FFA with player vs player enabled.

brodelin
I got lost in MMO speak!! PVP is Player Vs Player, but FFA?
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mau-Justice
Free for All
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avenger1324
thanks
brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="brodelin"]

I got lost in MMO speak!! PVP is Player Vs Player, but FFA?

FFA = Free for all
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mau-Justice
Until there's an open world, we will never have an MMO on a console...Connecting to 2-4 people max just doesn't cut it. Even if it's non playable, and just something like a lobby you can connect to, to talk/interact with the community. I just feel disconnected, I might as well be playing offline. And limiting it to 2-4 player co-op with friends defeats the purpose of an MMO if you ask me. Why spend all the hours getting the "uber" gear, when there's nobody to trade/show it off to.
mithrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 mithrixx
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is good.

It may not be the best ARPG but it brings the memories of diablo II.

boxofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 boxofwit
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts
If Borderlands turns out to be a good game, that might fit the bill for what you're looking for. It's supposed to be a 3rd person shooter with Diablo 2 style item collecting, the developer actually referenced Diablo 2 when discussing how extensive the items are, and it's supposed to have 4 player co-operative throughout the entire story. I've read articles on this game and, based on the screenshots, the graphics look good as well. Hopefully this one turns out to be a quality title.Lance_Kalzas
Agreed, Borderlands looks amazing.
Booze_messiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Booze_messiah
Member since 2009 • 553 Posts

You should check out Sacred 2: fallen angel. I think it comes out pretty soon (Q1 2009?). Its a ARPG ala Diablo with a fantasy setting (Orcs, goblins, undead, dragons etc) giant map and lots of items to collect. Theres is 6 character classes to choose from where everyone has a both good and evil storyline ( besides the inquistor - evil only and seraphim - good only). Every class will obtain a special mount at a certain level (did I mention mounted combat :P), the lvl progression is up to lvl 250.

The PC version of this game came out late last year, I find it quite good but since I played it since day one there were a lot of server issues and bugs that prevented me from fully enjoying this game so I made a pause untill its gonna be released for the 360. Hopefully they solve most of the previous issues.

brodelin
Yea this game comes out the end of March, the demo on PC was pretty good (reminded me of Diablo exactly). Don't know much about the online but I would say Halo 3 style of matchmaking and stuff is about as good as we can get for 360 at least ATM. Anyhow I am definately buying Sacred 2 tho.
DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
I'm picking up Sacred II Fallen Angel. I love those hack n' slash, find treasure, adventures.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

A couple people have noted that Sacred 2 is coming out for 360, and I'll second (third?) that. The first Sacred was very, very similar to Diablo, and I'm sure this new one will be too.

allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts

A couple people have noted that Sacred 2 is coming out for 360, and I'll second (third?) that. The first Sacred was very, very similar to Diablo, and I'm sure this new one will be too.

Palantas
Yeah, from the responses this game is looking pretty decent. Do you know if it will keep its 16 player online co-op though?
PrincePwnStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PrincePwnStar
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts

Oh god yes, make an ARPG for Xbox that has a really good live support, like Diablo 2. That would really boost the systems online play alot. There's nothing better then to play an APRG with mates online and just talking to them via the headset and shouting "AAH! Get that ghoul off of me!"Zoldaire

Yeah releasing Diablo for the console would be good, but we all know that Blizzard sucks at creating things for consoles. Just look at thte Starcraft: Ghost.