Sony: Final Fantasy XIII exclusivity in question -- GameSpot Link!

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SPHYNXA
Member since 2003 • 2944 Posts

Click Here for story

Sony Computer Entertainment France president Georges Fornay in an interview with Les Darnieres Nouvelles d'Alsace (French-language newspaper) while talking about costs of game development (and thus the need to go multiplatform) said that

"... As far as Final Fantasy XIII goes, I can tell you that the exclusivity is in discussion."

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SPHYNXA
One thing is for sure; if Square-Enix is acceptive of a bidding war between Sony and Microsoft (Sony trying to get exclusivity, Microsoft trying to get multi-platform), then I would imagine Microsoft would fork over as much money as it would take. One reason for this is that Final Fantasy is HUGE (obviously), secondly having Final Fantasy go multi-platform would be a big boost of 360's in Japan.
sophospeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 sophospeare
Member since 2003 • 443 Posts
One thing is for sure; if Square-Enix is acceptive of a bidding war between Sony and Microsoft (Sony trying to get exclusivity, Microsoft trying to get multi-platform), then I would imagine Microsoft would fork over as much money as it would take. One reason for this is that Final Fantasy is HUGE (obviously), secondly having Final Fantasy go multi-platform would be a big boost of 360's in Japan. SPHYNXA
Agreed, I for one hope this is true...this is the one thing I knew I'd miss when I converted from Playstation fan (on the PS2) to Xbox fan (lovin the 360).
dumbstupid101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dumbstupid101
Member since 2007 • 319 Posts
hopefully it goes
flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts
Come on MGS4 :)  FFXIII would be pretty sweet, but for me, MGS4 is what I'm dying for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 113871999
Member since 2003 • 283 Posts
I have never really been a fan of Final Fantasy, purely because I've never owned a Sony console, but if the next installment of the franchise was to come out for the Xbox 360, then I would definatly get it.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SPHYNXA
I think I'd probobly rather FFXIII over MGS4, just because that game is gonna be so gosh-darn long! And I could use a good RPG... you know, after I've played through Mass Effect a couple of times.
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
lol i want both, FF13 and MGS4, im eventually going to get a ps3 anyway but i'd prefer to play the games on the 360
flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 flatline711
I'm a huge fan of MGS, VF and DMC.  So that's 2 down, 1 to go. :D
lukeymonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lukeymonw
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts
I don't really promote animosity between systems. I would by a PS3 to compliment my 360 once Sony made me believe that I HAD to have the console or I would be missing something huge. If FF came to 360 there would be no reason what so ever for me to pick up a PS3. And, like it was stated earlier, if it is $$$ Square wants, $$$$$$$$$$$ Microsoft has. Also agreed that this would boost 360s in Japan. Getting ahold of FF would be one of the smartest things MS could do and would be devastating to Sony. If FF crossed over I don't think MGS fans would have too much to worry about. All I have been hearing is that MGS would go multi way before Square would even dream of opening up the FF franchise. Looks like everyone could be VERY wrong.
Shawn20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shawn20
Member since 2003 • 452 Posts

This is great for 360 owners. I can't wait to play this on my 360 since I'd never get a PS.

russian4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 russian4life
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts
So... hold up why the hell is this in a 360 forum?
Alyxm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Alyxm1
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts
One thing is for sure; if Square-Enix is acceptive of a bidding war between Sony and Microsoft (Sony trying to get exclusivity, Microsoft trying to get multi-platform), then I would imagine Microsoft would fork over as much money as it would take. One reason for this is that Final Fantasy is HUGE (obviously), secondly having Final Fantasy go multi-platform would be a big boost of 360's in Japan. SPHYNXA
And Sony wouldnt?
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 reubendarosa

This is great for 360 owners. I can't wait to play this on my 360 since I'd never get a PS.

Shawn20

it hasn't been confirmed..it may never be confirmed multi-plat...so don't go wondering off thinking it's going to be on the 360 just yet.

if you read properly. It's in discussion..

Avatar image for MASTERCHIEFUSMA
MASTERCHIEFUSMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 MASTERCHIEFUSMA
Member since 2003 • 229 Posts
I can see this happening, Since there are alot more 360's out there making it multiplatform is smarter in terms for developers, it makes more money for them and more choices for console owners, if they made FFXIII for 360 it make me very happy. As for MGS4 for 360, in my own opionion its just a matter of when its going to happen, with more games going multiplatform it would be dumb for Konami not to put it on 360 with its larger installment base.
-Saul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Saul
Member since 2006 • 1072 Posts

I don't really think this means it might come to X360.

Square isn't yet paid to keep it exclusive. Meaning, Sony just handeled this very late. FFXIII was never exclusive to anything. Sony just said right there that they will try and make it exclusive. If anything, this news means it will most likely not come to X360.

lazurusKfP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lazurusKfP
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

As I'm reading this (reading as I never post) something just seems to linger on my mind with all these console wars and what not...

Are you at all worried what will happen if our beloved 360 topples the empire that once was that is the PS?  I mean the reason I love gaming is the awesome games, which is what I'd hope everyone loved about gaming.  If the empire falls there will be no competition for MS/360 in this genre that touches the 360 for power.  For those who know anything about the economy means that the production costs will enevidably go down, as there is no longer any reason to compete to the level we are currently approaching.  Honestly does anyone think that Wii will be able to compete at a reasonable level if pitted directly against titles like GoW?  I love gaming and all my consoles for what they can do, but honestly if the PS3 falls I can't see the new director of Sony investing in another console ever, and that leaves MS alone (and I'd hate to see how bad windows would be if there were never a MAC option around to keep them honest and striving for something better).

Maybe its just a false worry... but I'm used to playing quality titles for my PS2 my 360 and I was hoping when I got enough money maybe my PS3.  Seems like if nothing is made for a single platform anymore we are heading for a bland gaming future and if that is the case I think I'll be upgrading my PC rather than investing in consoles anymore.

hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

[QUOTE="russian4life"]So... hold up why the hell is this in a 360 forum?childe_roland

??? Because their talking about Microsoft buying the rights to Final Fantasy so we can play it on the 360... If this happens Sony can pretty much kiss the rest of its life cycle goodbye, and if Devil May Cry and MGS come over as well Sony=ruined. The 360 forum is exactly where this little chat should be taking place.

U seriously sound like a fanboy. Don't make this discussion about system wars.

lukeymonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lukeymonw
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

As I'm reading this (reading as I never post) something just seems to linger on my mind with all these console wars and what not...

Are you at all worried what will happen if our beloved 360 topples the empire that once was that is the PS? I mean the reason I love gaming is the awesome games, which is what I'd hope everyone loved about gaming. If the empire falls there will be no competition for MS/360 in this genre that touches the 360 for power. For those who know anything about the economy means that the production costs will enevidably go down, as there is no longer any reason to compete to the level we are currently approaching. Honestly does anyone think that Wii will be able to compete at a reasonable level if pitted directly against titles like GoW? I love gaming and all my consoles for what they can do, but honestly if the PS3 falls I can't see the new director of Sony investing in another console ever, and that leaves MS alone (and I'd hate to see how bad windows would be if there were never a MAC option around to keep them honest and striving for something better).

Maybe its just a false worry... but I'm used to playing quality titles for my PS2 my 360 and I was hoping when I got enough money maybe my PS3. Seems like if nothing is made for a single platform anymore we are heading for a bland gaming future and if that is the case I think I'll be upgrading my PC rather than investing in consoles anymore.

lazurusKfP
I think that we have to remember that what makes a console great is not what is under the hood. It is what developers do with that technology. I don't think Sony is finished if this happens. They would figure something out. But if sony did bow out of consoles and microsoft was left I feel that gaming would still be great. The enjoyment of a system falls mostly on the game developers who utilize the technology available. PS3 vs 360 is a prime example. The PS3 is more powerful and has more features than the 360 under the hood. But the gaming experience is just plain better on 360 right now because developers are really stepping it up for the most part and exploring the new technology. I think Sony thought "hey we will just make a roided up Playstation and the World will embrace us as the undisputed champ." Unfortuantly they made some very bad decisions (so did MS in the beginning) and they are paying dearly for not putting a little more thought and care into their product. People trusted Sony to give them a winner and for once they may not have. Hence the animosity and anger/fanism. Gaming shouldn't be about what console outdoes the other. WHO CARES!? A console is just a blank canvas. What gaming should be about is developers trying to top one another. THAT is how gaming will continue to grow and improve.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
u guys are jokers...lol people are looking at this wrong...he most likely meant that they are writing up contracts or sumn for ff games to be exclusive to sony consoles forever or sumn..something like that...besisdes hes some france exec what does he know...if anyone is in the loop about this its gunna be the sony japan
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Miguel16
I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!V4LENT1NE
then get a ps3
flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 flatline711
[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!Miguel16
then get a ps3

Yeah because buying a $600 is the smart thing to do as apposed to waiting it out to see what happens. :roll:
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 reubendarosa

[QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!flatline711
then get a ps3

Yeah because buying a $600 is the smart thing to do as apposed to waiting it out to see what happens. :roll:

well technically he is right. If you do want those games get a ps3, they are 100% confirmed for it. 

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
I'd rather have FF13 over MGS4, but I don't really care if either of them come. Too Japanese for me.
flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 flatline711

[QUOTE="flatline711"][QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!reubendarosa

then get a ps3

well technically he is right. If you do want those games get a ps3, they are 100% confirmed for it. 

True but with all the rumors floating around, is it not better to wait a bit before you run out and purchase a $600 console for one game?
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Miguel16
I'd rather have FF13 over MGS4, but I don't really care if either of them come. Too Japanese for me.Trickshot771
lol too japanese? the majority of games made come from japanese companies..
njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 njdss4
Member since 2003 • 2721 Posts
[QUOTE="SPHYNXA"]One thing is for sure; if Square-Enix is acceptive of a bidding war between Sony and Microsoft (Sony trying to get exclusivity, Microsoft trying to get multi-platform), then I would imagine Microsoft would fork over as much money as it would take. One reason for this is that Final Fantasy is HUGE (obviously), secondly having Final Fantasy go multi-platform would be a big boost of 360's in Japan. sophospeare
Agreed, I for one hope this is true...this is the one thing I knew I'd miss when I converted from Playstation fan (on the PS2) to Xbox fan (lovin the 360).

My life would be complete. With Devil May Cry 4 coming to the 360 now (every website has DMC4 listed in their 360 games) and FFXIII possibly not being exclusive it would completely validate my purchase of the 360.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Miguel16
[QUOTE="reubendarosa"]

[QUOTE="flatline711"][QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!flatline711

then get a ps3

True but with all the rumors floating around, is it not better to wait a bit before you run out and purchase a $600 console for one game?

hey man if you wanna play it...do what you gotta do...even if that means buying the console and the game, playing it and returning it.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]I'd rather have FF13 over MGS4, but I don't really care if either of them come. Too Japanese for me.Miguel16

Yeah, the majority of the PS3 games. I don't care if it's MADE in Japan. I didn't say that. I don't like Japanese GAMES all that much.
gonch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 gonch
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long live the 360!
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Miguel16
[QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="Trickshot771"]I'd rather have FF13 over MGS4, but I don't really care if either of them come. Too Japanese for me.Trickshot771

Yeah, the majority of the PS3 games. I don't care if it's MADE in Japan. I didn't say that. I don't like Japanese GAMES all that much.

oh ok understood you wrong
childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 childe_roland
Member since 2003 • 2542 Posts

[QUOTE="childe_roland"][QUOTE="russian4life"]So... hold up why the hell is this in a 360 forum?hcho3

??? Because their talking about Microsoft buying the rights to Final Fantasy so we can play it on the 360... If this happens Sony can pretty much kiss the rest of its life cycle goodbye, and if Devil May Cry and MGS come over as well Sony=ruined. The 360 forum is exactly where this little chat should be taking place.

What the @#%* are you talking about? I was just stating the facts as I saw em, I own a PS2 and a 360, I like games not systems, Where in my last post did I say anything that is even remotely "fanboy"? Besides I'm too old for this "fanboy" crap you're talking about, why dont we focus on the topic and not on bull$#!# attempts to call eachother out for being a fanboy...
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
[QUOTE="reubendarosa"]

[QUOTE="flatline711"][QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!flatline711

then get a ps3

Its £425(around $800) in the UK.............I am not paying that much for one game.............well maybe if it is really God like. 

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts
Final Fantasy isn't going anywhere. The head of Sony in France is a minor figure in the whole that is Sony. He most likely misspoke.
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 reubendarosa
[QUOTE="flatline711"][QUOTE="reubendarosa"]

[QUOTE="flatline711"][QUOTE="Miguel16"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]I dont want FF, Halo etc, just give me MGS4!V4LENT1NE

then get a ps3

Its £425(around $800) in the UK.............I am not paying that much for one game.............well maybe if it is really God like. 

haha yeah

NeDi2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NeDi2004
Member since 2004 • 1415 Posts
hope it does come it will save me and allot of other people £400 and i wouldnt give a $h!t if its on multi discs!
njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 njdss4
Final Fantasy isn't going anywhere. The head of Sony in France is a minor figure in the whole that is Sony. He most likely misspoke.Velric
I read from some posts on that article that the translation from French to English is very misleading. And I do agree that the head of Sony in France can't possibly be in the know about the exclusivity of titles. STILL, I hope that FF13 comes to the 360.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SPHYNXA

All I have been hearing is that MGS would go multi way before Square would even dream of opening up the FF franchise.  Looks like everyone could be VERY wrong.lukeymonw

That's a very good point... it's almost a given that MGS4 will come to the 360 at some point, as usually when something like that is rumoured for as long as it has been it usually ends up true.  Usually, not always.  But there's definitly a possibility.

So... hold up why the hell is this in a 360 forum?russian4life

Look up the definition of the term 'multi-platform' young one

[QUOTE="SPHYNXA"]One thing is for sure; if Square-Enix is acceptive of a bidding war between Sony and Microsoft (Sony trying to get exclusivity, Microsoft trying to get multi-platform), then I would imagine Microsoft would fork over as much money as it would take.  One reason for this is that Final Fantasy is HUGE (obviously), secondly having Final Fantasy go multi-platform would be a big boost of 360's in Japan. Alyxm1
And Sony wouldnt?

'And Sony wouldn't' what? That question has no relevance to what I said.

Are you at all worried what will happen if our beloved 360 topples the empire that once was that is the PS?  I mean the reason I love gaming is the awesome games, which is what I'd hope everyone loved about gaming.  If the empire falls there will be no competition for MS/360 in this genre that touches the 360 for power.  For those who know anything about the economy means that the production costs will enevidably go down, as there is no longer any reason to compete to the level we are currently approaching.  Honestly does anyone think that Wii will be able to compete at a reasonable level if pitted directly against titles like GoW?  I love gaming and all my consoles for what they can do, but honestly if the PS3 falls I can't see the new director of Sony investing in another console ever, and that leaves MS alone (and I'd hate to see how bad windows would be if there were never a MAC option around to keep them honest and striving for something better).

lazurusKfP

'Topples the empire'?  I have no idea what you're talking about... everyone knows that this console generation is going to be a much closer race then last generation.  No one will be 'toppling' anyone out of the console race.  Also the whole 'but honestly if the PS3 falls I can't see the new director of Sony investing in another console ever' is rediculous.  If the 'PS3 fails'?  What exactly would be the criteria for the PS3 failing (better yet, don't answer that as it's system wars fodder).  And Sony's console department is one of, if not the most profitable departments of the whole Sony corporation; they're obviously not going to do-away with that whole department just becuase of a few mistakes.  Nintendo made a few mistakes with the GameCube, and they came out swinging this generation.

shotputking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 shotputking
Member since 2006 • 558 Posts

why this comment is a big deal is that it shows that ffXIII is not a garaunteed exclusive right now, like many had thought it was.  sony, who is deep in the black right now, will in no way be even close to having the retained earnings and capital to compete with microsoft in a bidding war.  so if ffxiii is is deals that deal with exclusivity, then there is a possibility that it could end up on the 360, and microsoft will make that happen.  just like the microsoft executive that stated earlier this week: "one down, two to go." referring to dmc, final fantasy and mgs4.

also, please stop bringing up this thought that, "if microsoft wins this generations console war, there will be no competition, and all we will get are terrible games!!!"  did that happen after the playstation 1 beat out the n64 in sales?  no, because microsoft came out with a game console the next generation.  the video game industry is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big and lucrative right now for everyone to just sit back and watch other companies get rich off of bad games.

bballboy986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bballboy986
Member since 2003 • 272 Posts
[QUOTE="Velric"]Final Fantasy isn't going anywhere. The head of Sony in France is a minor figure in the whole that is Sony. He most likely misspoke.njdss4
I read from some posts on that article that the translation from French to English is very misleading. And I do agree that the head of Sony in France can't possibly be in the know about the exclusivity of titles. STILL, I hope that FF13 comes to the 360.

Whhaaat? You think that the head of Sony's entire French division would be in the dark about something like this?? All of the people in positions like his are probably key people in the conversation in order to scale how big of an impact something like this would have on each consumer market.
hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
[QUOTE="hcho3"]

[QUOTE="childe_roland"][QUOTE="russian4life"]So... hold up why the hell is this in a 360 forum?childe_roland

What the @#%* are you talking about? I was just stating the facts as I saw em, I own a PS2 and a 360, I like games not systems, Where in my last post did I say anything that is even remotely "fanboy"? Besides I'm too old for this "fanboy" crap you're talking about, why dont we focus on the topic and not on bull$#!# attempts to call eachother out for being a fanboy...

O really.. Sony= ruined? Sony can Kiss the rest of its life?

That's not a fanboy statement? Give me a break..

njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 njdss4
[QUOTE="njdss4"][QUOTE="Velric"]Final Fantasy isn't going anywhere. The head of Sony in France is a minor figure in the whole that is Sony. He most likely misspoke.bballboy986

Whhaaat? You think that the head of Sony's entire French division would be in the dark about something like this?? All of the people in positions like his are probably key people in the conversation in order to scale how big of an impact something like this would have on each consumer market.

Nah, it's France. He probably gets told what the final decision is further down the line, not asked for input. The people who decide this kind of stuff never go on interviews like this and blab like this guy is doing.
agallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 agallo
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts
yeah and just like blue dragon or whatever you 360 fans will enjoy it on 12 disks have fun with that!
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SPHYNXA

yeah and just like blue dragon or whatever you 360 fans will enjoy it on 12 disks have fun with that! agallo
And you'll enjoy it on... none. Have fun with that.

Seriously though, since when was changing discs a problem? As long as you didn't have to load up disc one, load your save game, and then load up the subsequent disc you're on.. then it was fine. And no development team is stupid enough to make that mistake again in this day in age. I switch out discs all the time in the run of a day, so what's the big deal? I hardly see solving this 'problem' a justification for forking over an extra $200 for a higher-capacity media format.

reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 reubendarosa

yeah and just like blue dragon or whatever you 360 fans will enjoy it on 12 disks have fun with that! agallo

12 discs? right...that was a stupid comment

childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 childe_roland
FF13=Halo and Gears combined as far as how much it's worth for Sony, if you throw MG into the mix and DMC than yeah Sonys days would be numbered, it's not rocket science and it's not fanboyism, why is that so hard for you to understand? If a company has a product that no other company has and everyone wants than that company is in the green, if one day a new company comes along and builds the same product but sells it for cheaper you're in big doodoo, a 360 is cheaper than a PS3, if the 360 gets the same AAA titles as the PS3 what do you think is gonna happen? This is the last time I'm going to explain this simple comment to you, stop wasting my time.
childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 childe_roland
That last post was a response to "hcho3", sorry bout the lack of quotes...