So do all Gamestop employees lie?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts

I go into Gamestop to cancel 2 pre-orders that are Dead Island and Battlefield 3.. I am going to skip the first conversation I had with another employee because it was basically the same conversation with the cashier..

So I go up to the cashier and say I want to cancel my pre-orderers. He asked why? I said I found a deal on Newegg for Battlefield 3 for $48.. He said, I saw that too, but I don't know if I trust the site. He then goes on to say it costs them $50 to get Battlefield 3 into the stores so Newegg has to be losing money on the deal. In my mind I was like BS they wouldn't make any profit. Which it has to be a total lie. He then says you will miss out on the pre-order bonuses. I say ya, the physical warfare pack. He then says you will also miss out on 4 maps, and 10 weapons. I then said, all the new pre-orderers get the Limited Edition. He then says I don't think I believe that. I finally get my $10 back and walk out.. Do they really think people who go into Gamestop are that ignorant about video games?

I am really sick of Gamestop's salesmen. I think I will try to avoid Gamestop for now on. Its not fun browsing for video games when employees are trying to talk with you and get you to pre-order stuff. I also don't like that fact that they lie or try to take advantage of you blantly to get sales.

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
Meh, idk. I went in to cancel a reservation to upgrade to the Gears 3 EPic Edition and I got a speech about how I shouldn't even bother pre ordering. I had to cancel because when I asked if they had any more Epic Editions available for pre order I was told no. Then I called and someone else said they did. I rarely have problems there. But when I do it is with pre orders. I think it's because they get a bonus or a pat on the back if they get pre-orders.
Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

Really? I have the most engaging conversations at my Gamestop. Not even my local mom and pop video game store is like that.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Sometimes you get good, sometimes you get bad. But with something like that, I wouldn't be expecting to get a warm welcome when cancelling a pre-order.

GamerChick2083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GamerChick2083
Member since 2010 • 481 Posts

I wouldn't say they all lie, but sometimes they don't know when to take a hint and just leave me alone!

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

I never get anything like that at my GS. Sorry to hear that, though.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts

Wow, that sucks you had to deal with people like that. The guys who work at my local Gamestop are no trouble at all.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Drakebunny
I haven't had any issues either. It's kind of nice as there is female clerk at my GS who is very helpful and knowledgeable. :)
Lonelystrokez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelystrokez
Member since 2011 • 277 Posts

Wow that sucks man.My gamestop is always trying to get me to preorder games by telling me about all the extra stuff ill get with the preorders.

Moxie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Moxie7
Member since 2011 • 88 Posts

I think half the time, it might be a lie. The other half is just pure ignorance.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#11 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I've never ran into any problems personally. That sucks though. There's nothing I hate more than a store that assumes us Gamers are ignorant. It's our lifestyle, of course we know our facts. :P
iTolerance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iTolerance
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Gamestop lied to me about getting a MW3 poster! They were like yeah we have some more in 2 days. I come back 2 days later and they said they already gave me one -_-'
gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
This is why I usually just go to Best Buy. I find the people there much nicer and Best Buy has better midnight releases, in my opinion.
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

My local Gamestop employees are pretty straight up honest. I have even had them from time to time tell me not to trade a certain game in because I am getting ripped off. I appreciate my local Gamestop, but I do absolutely hate Gamestop has a whole company.

bleacher6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bleacher6
Member since 2010 • 332 Posts

I walked in to gamestop once and saw a comercial for mafia 2 on their tv and asked if they have it for PC (yeah its been a while since ive been in there lol) and he said "Do you have an xbox or ps3?" i said "yeah but i want it for pc" ( i didnt know they stopped selling a lot of pc games) and he goes "well id get it for xbox because they dont make that game for PC" I was like "uh yeah they do i saw it on newegg..." and he goes "I cant stand newegg, most untrustful site ever you should really pay attention considering its not for PC" I walked out laughing lol

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i don't ever buy games from gamestop. I walk in once in an a while. i just browses to see if any games pop up in my head that i wanted play. I walk out and look on Craigslist.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Really? I have the most engaging conversations at my Gamestop. Not even my local mom and pop video game store is like that.

Nozizaki
wish i could find a mom/pop store dash me a game or two week+ before release lol
z50macdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 z50macdaddy
Member since 2010 • 498 Posts

Funny thing is, I just got an application to go work at the local gamestop.

On topic: I think it just depend on where you live

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
erm what does this ahve to do with the 360 console? .. .. ..
ImaginaryLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ImaginaryLemon
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
He was trying to make you keep your pre-order with Gamestop. It's slightly different with me as my local game seller is GAME but I still know what you mean. There are a few employees who go on endlessly about latest promos and stuff and ask whether I want to buy this game as well ect. I mean, if I had wanted that other game I would of taken it to the counter too! /rant thingy
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
"So do all Gamestop employees lie?"Warablo13
Yes. But only to people who post "Eff Gamestop" threads on the internet. First- who says you need to engage them in conversation? "I'd like to cancel my preorder." "Oh? Why?" "Just because." Second- you're complaining about them performing a job function? See point one. "Anything you'd like to preorder today? We've got-" "No, thanks." Problem solved.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

well idk i have never had a problem like that.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
It really depends on the person. I've had some bad experiences, and some people who are just down-to-earth. I don't like how some of them spread rumors about games, or have too much of their own opinion of a game that you're interested in. I recall certain employees that told several people that Halo was coming to the DS. I asked, is it confirmed or still just a rumor? He said, "it's confirmed, I saw it." I said: "I won't believe it until I hear it from Bungie." ... I know that there was a video flying around of Halo running on a DS, but I always had my doubts. Turns out to be just a rumor, but the guy spoke as if there was already a release date for it.
Avatar image for xAcidicFantasyx
xAcidicFantasyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xAcidicFantasyx
Member since 2008 • 239 Posts

I totally get where you're coming from! Gamestop employees are basically taught to soliscit deals from the customers whether it's asking you to sign up for their platinum rewards or asking you to reserve games (many of which you don't even care about) I tend to try and give off a "don't come the **** near me while i'm shopping" vibe so I can shop in peace. I'm an extremely thrifty shopper and gamer so I know about the prices online compared to at gamestop so most of the time I will just buy online, but most gamestop employees will tell you not to do that and how sketchy and uncertain it is (just to keep your money flowing to the gamestop company) i bet most of those employees buy online (unless they're getting really good employee discounts)

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
well to be honest what was going on with you at your gamestop sounds more like him trying to stop you from canceling your pre-orders and going else where through said "lies" but yes it seems alot of the gamestop employees ive come across are usually very stupid about games, unless its a big name title and even then they usually dont know some of the info about them thats pretty much general knowledge online
Lonelystrokez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lonelystrokez
Member since 2011 • 277 Posts

Gamestop lied to me about getting a MW3 poster! They were like yeah we have some more in 2 days. I come back 2 days later and they said they already gave me one -_-'iTolerance

They told me that too but ive been cporying games since i got my xbox modded so i said no.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I work at gamestop, I can solve this thread right now. Our sales are tracked. pre orders/pro subscriptions, you name it. When you cancel pre-orders, we get negative numbers. Managers play the numbers game so hard that they make the employees push customers out of cancelling things. It sucks. Just know that when you go into gamestop. The employees arent like that on purpose, we have to be.

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I can't say that they "all" lie, but they do tend to ramble on quite a bit. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is when they try to talk me out of a purchase. I
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 El_Zo1212o
...The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is when they try to talk me out of a purchase. shaunchgo
I remember the only time that happened to me- Iridion 3D on GBA- I was buying it used for $.99. The guy told me it was a waste of money. I told him tha at 99 cents no game could possibly be a waste. I came back twenty minutes later for a refund.
zellwood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zellwood69
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts

They are a company and they have to make money at any cost. Yes they do make money off pre-orders done in the store. I know this cause i always do mine online and dont have to pay the $5. Then i was informed that i should do it in the store and when i asked why the clerk said each store gets a kick back for them. Also has anyone else looked for this deal of $48 cause i did and didn't see it.

Glockster19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Glockster19
Member since 2006 • 51 Posts

There's no reason to shop at Gamestop unless you like paying full MSRP for pretty much everything they sell. Not to mention the used crap they want way too much for. Shop around, there are almost always game deals to be found elsewhere.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
They want to try and keep your money, so they pull out all the stops. Whenever employees tell me stuff like that to try and keep my money, I just say "I don't care" and avoid an argument.
bluetadomonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bluetadomonk
Member since 2011 • 449 Posts
gamestop sucks, i never come on the 360 forum but im surprised how many people don't hate them. It makes me mad.
Sam998998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Sam998998
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I like my Gamestop. I was buying a **** game, and really quickly the cashier went online and said "Are you sure you want to buy this? It got like a 2/10"

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i was on holiday in June for E3 in california and with my tour group we went to a few of the local retail stores (my group was made up of people from my work in australia, JB hifi). the first store i bought Dead Space 2 for PC in was Fry's. reeeeeeeeaaaally weird style and vibe there with all the greek style statues and lions and stuff. found DS2 on the shelf for $30US, back home it was $80AU (exchange rate was AU worth .5 cents more then US so great rate). down the road we went to a Best Buy, and the same game (plus some other stuff i noticed) was A LOT more expensive. $60US at best Buy, i was glad i grabbed it at Frys without checking around.

Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts

They are a company and they have to make money at any cost. Yes they do make money off pre-orders done in the store. I know this cause i always do mine online and dont have to pay the $5. Then i was informed that i should do it in the store and when i asked why the clerk said each store gets a kick back for them. Also has anyone else looked for this deal of $48 cause i did and didn't see it.

zellwood69
Just type in Battlefield 3 $48 on google.. They had a one day sale where you entered a promo code and you get a $12 discount, no tax, and free shipping. They also had a Skyrim deal one day also, but I didn't jump on it when I should have.
Spire88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Spire88
Member since 2006 • 4502 Posts
ALWAYS check other places before going to gamestop, gamestop should be a last resort.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 El_Zo1212o

i was on holiday in June for E3 in california and with my tour group we went to a few of the local retail stores (my group was made up of people from my work in australia, JB hifi). the first store i bought Dead Space 2 for PC in was Fry's. reeeeeeeeaaaally weird style and vibe there with all the greek style statues and lions and stuff. found DS2 on the shelf for $30US, back home it was $80AU (exchange rate was AU worth .5 cents more then US so great rate). down the road we went to a Best Buy, and the same game (plus some other stuff i noticed) was A LOT more expensive. $60US at best Buy, i was glad i grabbed it at Frys without checking around.

kungfool69
Good grab. It's a shame you didn't hit the Woodland Hills Fry's- they've got a really awesome Alice in Wonderland motif.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I only know a few Gamestop employees that are upfront and honest, others I find will tell you anything for you to preorder games from them.
jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#40 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

Do they really think people who go into Gamestop are that ignorant about video games?Warablo13
Well, yes, because they know people are ignorant enough to think pre-ordering is a good idea they think it translates to ignorance about the games themselves.

Why would anyone pre-order? All it does is give them some of your money ahead of time for what many times is no real benefit. Honestly, when there's a pre-order bonus you get it anyway half the time if you just buy the game the week it launches, because it's either:

1. In all the boxes in their the first shipment of the game (do you really think the publishers are going to the expense of two production runs?) or
  2. A coupon to hand outthat they have so many of they just give it to you anyway.

And it doesn't protect you from not getting a copy. Way back in the early 90s when they started the pre-order craze and games weren't quite as common it may have, but since I graduated college in '94 I have not once been denied a copy of a game on launch day for lack of pre-order.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 El_Zo1212o
Why would anyone pre-order? All it does is give them some of your money ahead of time for what many times is no real benefit. jekyll
Mayhap the game launches at a time that I don't anticipate having the money available- like shortly after the first when the rent has been paid. P'raps I can't spend the money all at once and need to spread it out, say, by paying 10 bucks toward my preorder every paycheck until it's paid up. The moral of the story, kids, is that the more you pay when it's convenient to do so, the less you have to pay when it could be less so. Preorder bonuses are just that- bonuses.
jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jekyll

[QUOTE="jekyll"]Why would anyone pre-order? All it does is give them some of your money ahead of time for what many times is no real benefit. El_Zo1212o
Mayhap the game launches at a time that I don't anticipate having the money available- like shortly after the first when the rent has been paid. P'raps I can't spend the money all at once and need to spread it out, say, by paying 10 bucks toward my preorder every paycheck until it's paid up. The moral of the story, kids, is that the more you pay when it's convenient to do so, the less you have to pay when it could be less so. Preorder bonuses are just that- bonuses.

That makes no sense at all. You can just leave the $10 every week in your own bank account and make a little interest on it yourself instead of letting GameStop do so for no reason.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="jekyll"]Why would anyone pre-order? All it does is give them some of your money ahead of time for what many times is no real benefit. jekyll

That makes no sense at all. You can just leave the $10 every week in your own bank account and make a little interest on it yourself instead of letting GameStop do so for no reason.

Except if it's left there, it can be used for other things. Like cigarettes, beer and pizza(with bacon). And also, do you know what kind of interest you collect on a standard checking account? Less than 2%. I think I can get by without working the bank over for 8 cents.
suade907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 suade907
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts

Yep it's their store policy to lie cheat and steal. A long long time ago I had bought a game for the sega saturn, it was the baseball game of the day. I didn't like it so i tried to return it I think they took game returns back then, if not I sold it back to the store. But the guy behind the counter got all excited and said cool I can't wait to re-sell this as new. That was the last time I bought a game from them. I had purchased a few things prior to this and felt I was getting used games and that confirmed it. A few of my games that I bought new had fingerprints and circular scratches on them. My guess, it was employees trying them out at first but it was probably a return or a sell back that they re-packaged as new and robbed me.

Oh well if we don't shop there they won't make any money, spread the word.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jekyll

[QUOTE="jekyll"]

El_Zo1212o

Except if it's left there, it can be used for other things. Like cigarettes, beer and pizza(with bacon). And also, do you know what kind of interest you collect on a standard checking account? Less than 2%. I think I can get by without working the bank over for 8 cents.

So just don't spend it on those other things. The personal failing of being unable to have patience and restraint to save up $60+tax isn't an excuse to hand over money to someone else piecemeal and let them keep it—getting nothing until the end—rather than just paying at once. And I know interest is practically nil, and the individual loss is near zero, but on a worldwide basis GS is still making nice coin when you add everyone's pre-order $ up.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="jekyll"]

jekyll

So just don't spend it on those other things. The personal failing of being unable to have patience and restraint to save up $60+tax isn't an excuse to hand over money to someone else piecemeal and let them keep it-getting nothing until the end-rather than just paying at once. And I know interest is practically nil, and the individual loss is near zero, but on a worldwide basis GS is still making nice coin when you add everyone's pre-order $ up.

when you have a bank account of your own and you pay your own bills you'll learn about how hard it can be saving up for something nonessential. And i'm not going to be getting my hands on it until launch day, so what's the big deal if I've found a better way to ensure I will get my game on that day? The only reason anyone could argue against preorders, considering you don't pay a single dime more than you would otherwise, is because you're a member of the **** Gamestop parade.
SnakeEyesX80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SnakeEyesX80
Member since 2009 • 2181 Posts
The PWP is going to be released a free DLC in future (verified by DICE) and the 4 maps (Back to Karkand) are in every LE. So yeah, he's pretty much incorrect. I bought GTAIV from Newegg for $24.99 when most brick & mortar stores were still selling it for $49.99. Newegg does have great deals and I wouldn't be worried about purchasing anything from them honestly.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 El_Zo1212o
The PWP is going to be released a free DLC in future (verified by DICE) and the 4 maps (Back to Karkand) are in every LE. So yeah, he's pretty much incorrect. I bought GTAIV from Newegg for $24.99 when most brick & mortar stores were still selling it for $49.99. Newegg does have great deals and I wouldn't be worried about purchasing anything from them honestly.SnakeEyesX80
Humina-whaaa? Are you in the right topic?
SnakeEyesX80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SnakeEyesX80
Member since 2009 • 2181 Posts
[QUOTE="SnakeEyesX80"]The PWP is going to be released a free DLC in future (verified by DICE) and the 4 maps (Back to Karkand) are in every LE. So yeah, he's pretty much incorrect. I bought GTAIV from Newegg for $24.99 when most brick & mortar stores were still selling it for $49.99. Newegg does have great deals and I wouldn't be worried about purchasing anything from them honestly.El_Zo1212o
Humina-whaaa? Are you in the right topic?

Pretty sure. Read TC's first post.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
[QUOTE="Drakebunny"]

Mo-licious
I haven't had any issues either. It's kind of nice as there is female clerk at my GS who is very helpful and knowledgeable. :)

Tell us more.