Skate demo horrible!!!

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 skelly7483
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts
I downloaded the Skate demo last night. EA has lost their mind. The controls are horrible. The charm with Tony Hawk is easy controls for simple tricks and you have to work for the harder ones, and really hard to chain stuff together. Skate has some stupid right thumbstick control that you pull down and flick up to jump, even on a ramp. It makes it way to diffucult to pull off tricks. EA tried to make a Total Skate Control like Fight Night and failed miserably.Has anyone played this demo and felt the same way?
Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#2 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts
I've played the demo and everyone i play with and more say this is like 20x better than Tony Hawk, so get off teh crack pipe.
oo769er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 oo769er
Member since 2003 • 2539 Posts
I liked the controls. it made the game feel more like a sim then TH does. TH is to easy IMO.
sgpicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sgpicker
Member since 2006 • 640 Posts
I hear the same thing. I love all of the Tony Hawk Games and Own most of them. I can say that I am scared.
Avatar image for paranoiasurviva
paranoiasurviva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 paranoiasurviva
Member since 2004 • 13621 Posts
lol, look at the screen shots I took of a couple flaws I found. lol, flat tree branches lol, my front wheels vanished. Overall though, I'm impressed with the graphics. The audio is great too. The ambiance of the board rolling, sliding, and thumping against the pavement is great.
-HaloHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -HaloHero-
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

My brother downloaded it on my 360 yesterday and he said it froze on him D:

I swear it's those skateboarding games. My brother was playing Tony Hawk Project 8 when the 360 froze and then gave us The Ring of Death ;-;

bano123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bano123
Member since 2005 • 646 Posts

the only two things i HATE about this game is the Camera and how its like wow hard to manual and how hard it is to chain tricks such as if i jumped of a ramp did a grab and then tried to manual

im not saying the game is bad all im saying is it had its problems but hey its just my opinion

the demo still owns any demo i ever played on XBL besides bioshock :)

acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts

The skate demo is not horrible, its hard and complex, and I found it very enjoyable.

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#9 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
Tony Hawk is dead to me. Skate is amazing and so realistic, Tony Hawk is just an easy button combo game.
skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skelly7483

I still think the flicking was very inconsistant. How long did it take till you were pulling off tricks.

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
Personally, I enjoyed the demo. I thought the controls were interesting, but I began to shutter at the fact of playing an entire game with them. Maybe it's just that I am so used to the other controls (By being an avid Tony Hawk fan), but they are weird. However, it was fun and I'm sure it'll be a great game. FYI, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks :)
acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts

I still think the flicking was very inconsistant. How long did it take till you were pulling off tricks.

skelly7483
After I got it down I was doing exactly what I wanted to do.
AENEMA_TOOLOGY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AENEMA_TOOLOGY
Member since 2006 • 245 Posts
this game takes time to get used to because so many people are used to the easy combos in Tony Hawk (which are impossible) and so this is different from what people are used to so it might take a while to adapt.Besides this morning i did a Rodeo (i think thats what you call it,I am not a Skater.) :D
B_Scared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 B_Scared
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
Its not that the Skate Demo is terrible although I personally found the camera quite awkward and didn't like the control setup. But the fact is its a skateboard game that is not made by THQ and its not Tony Hawk. People just want something different in games now and this is definitely different.
skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skelly7483
If they took out the flicking to jump it would be better. I guess terrible was harsh. The graphics are nice. A simple A button to jump is all i'm asking for. For people who want some more reality to their skateboarding games, I guess this caters to them.
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I am mixed on it. I hate having to tap A everytime a want to go, and I can never seem to kickflip, it just always does a shuv-it:(. I also HATE the camera, but since it is so realistic, I like it alot:)
punkcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 punkcore
Member since 2004 • 545 Posts
I thought the demo was awesome I really like the controls and dont find it that hard to grind,I never haveliked the tony hawk games much they have all been pretty much the same since th2 in my opinion. always liked skate and destroy lot more, more like a sim but rockstar never made another one guess it didnt sell
Franchise2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Franchise2k6
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts
imo, this is 10x better than tony hawk. Its realistic and it takes more skill to get good at it
snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

I couldn't stand Fight Night, althoughthe stick controls were just a part of that hatred. However,the stick controls in skate work great I think. Definitely takes a bit of getting used to.

wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

the only complaint with the controls is the way you manual, its very hard to pull off but other then that i like it, and i'll get the game for christmas

xxxWigginsxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xxxWigginsxxx
Member since 2005 • 1181 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally SKATE owns the heck out of Tony Hawk. Tony Hawk is way to easy and it gets boring really really quick. It's more of an Arcade skate game then a sim. I mean im sure everyones thought at one point that going off a ramp and grinding the power lines, while doing the moonwalk on the board was just a little to out there. Skate offers a challenge and make wanting to pull of certain tricks fun again. Trying to record a nice run is more challenging depending on the tricks you're trying to pull of. I would re-do a lot of runs because I would either mess up on a grind, or miss the rail. With tony haw you can pull the most outrageous flip tricks into a grind, but to master aswitch 360 flip to a nose grind and kickflip out, is a lot more challenging and fun in SKATE.
Avatar image for KaotiK_un_basic
KaotiK_un_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KaotiK_un_basic
Member since 2002 • 2128 Posts

it's understandable that non skaters won't like skate much, and will probably prefer tony hawk..

skate is somewhat difficult and realistic, tony you can hop on with no knowledge and still pull crazy tricks.

i don't care though, it's up to you whether you like it or not.. me, i love it, and can't wait till it comes out.. it may be the first game i've ever bought on release day. it's not horrible though, you may not like it, but it's far from horrible. (and in my opinion, slays tony hawk)

everyone i know loved skate (my buddy didn't even want to leave my house to go gocartingyesterday.)

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts

tony hawk = arcadey, doesnt represent skating, to easy of controls.

skate= sim skateboarding

skate is too challenging for you then play that easy rehash that is tony hawk every year. thankfully someone is challenging TH for once. atleast in skate u cant pull off a 900 everytime u go up a ramp.

AstraNoString

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 AstraNoString
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts

I downloaded the Skate demo last night. EA has lost their mind. The controls are horrible. The charm with Tony Hawk is easy controls for simple tricks and you have to work for the harder ones, and really hard to chain stuff together. Skate has some stupid right thumbstick control that you pull down and flick up to jump, even on a ramp. It makes it way to diffucult to pull off tricks. EA tried to make a Total Skate Control like Fight Night and failed miserably.Has anyone played this demo and felt the same way?skelly7483

Both games involve skate boards although that's about all they have in common. Tony Hawk is a great game besause it is easy to pull off unrealistic trick combinations to not human could ever pull off in real life. It's over the top, and a great game becasue of it. Skate is the exact opposite style of game. Its intentions are to make pulling off tricks difficult as they would be in the real world. Skate really gives you a sence of accomplishment when you pull off a trick, similar to pulling off the same trick in the real world.

I really commend EA for thinking outside the box and creating a game that feals realistic and fun.

Hcoregamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hcoregamer
Member since 2006 • 212 Posts
tony hawks has gotten so unrealistic i wouldnt play it anymore. skate is a great game. it is much more realistic and when u pull big tricks off u will be satisfied
thadragon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 thadragon23
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts
i like it better then tony hawk it's gives it a more realistic feel with the controls
MarioBros12321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarioBros12321
Member since 2006 • 210 Posts
I liked it alot. I dont know what your problem is...
thebaiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thebaiter
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts
guys it's really not hard to manual your probably just used to being so hard on the joystick... just BARELY move it down or up and youll be great at the manuals.
w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
Tony Hawk Killer!!!!!
Tech_Disabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tech_Disabled
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts

I've played the demo and everyone i play with and more say this is like 20x better than Tony Hawk, so get off teh crack pipe.FamilyGuyFan507

But I lika teh crackpipe.

saiyanlarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 saiyanlarry
Member since 2003 • 548 Posts
people not liking skate must just suck real bad at it. i personally love it, and i dont skate in real life. this game is way way way better than tony hawk games are. the graphics are amazing and i love the controls. i personally like the camera, i dunno why people dont. i only wish i could get off the board and run around.
SuperSTi5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SuperSTi5
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts

Anybody that says this game is horrible just sucks at it. You actually need some time to learn how to play instead of just giving up because instead of pressing A and Y you have to make a simple movement with the stick and actually land on the rail.
Stealth-Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stealth-Gunner
Member since 2004 • 4166 Posts
I thought it was great! I never liked skateboard games but this is very fun and challenging.
booomer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 booomer69
Member since 2005 • 4107 Posts
I liked the controls. it made the game feel more like a sim then TH does. TH is to easy IMO.oo769er
I agree.
Seemore10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Seemore10
Member since 2005 • 973 Posts
This game and Call of Duty 4 are my 2 for sure purchases of 2007. Halo what?
younggrease42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 younggrease42
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

Best looking EA sports game in a while...I dont skate but I loved it and Im actually gonna pick it up..The game mode and challenges seem cool..You get to start on the streets and work your way all the way to the x games through challenges and getting sponsored and such..Sounds like my type of game...There are so many games coming out this holiday season, this prob bumped one out...

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

lol, look at the screen shots I took of a couple flaws I found. lol, flat tree branches lol, my front wheels vanished. Overall though, I'm impressed with the graphics. The audio is great too. The ambiance of the board rolling, sliding, and thumping against the pavement is great.paranoiasurviva

Not to be nitpicky......well actually....to be nitpicky those aren't branches you're showing those are leaves. And leaves are flat.

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts

skate OWNS TH.

-Xclusiv-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 -Xclusiv-
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
skate demo is amazing, i think you got them mixed up.
club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
Tony Hawk is n00b friendly. skate takes skill, so yeah skate is by far the best skateboarding game I've ever played :D
skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 skelly7483

This game and Call of Duty 4 are my 2 for sure purchases of 2007. Halo what?Seemore10

OK. I get everyone but me likes Skate, which is fine, maybe i'm just odd or its not my type of game, but PLEASE do not compare this game to HALO 3. This game isn't even in the league.

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

the only two things i HATE about this game is the Camera and how its like wow hard to manual and how hard it is to chain tricks such as if i jumped of a ramp did a grab and then tried to manual

im not saying the game is bad all im saying is it had its problems but hey its just my opinion

the demo still owns any demo i ever played on XBL besides bioshock :)

bano123

The camera was kind of weird and I couldn't do the manual part.

JMart0492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 JMart0492
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
I like is way better than Tony Hawk. This game is very realistic, you feel satisfaction every time you land a trick.
jzen_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45 jzen_
Member since 2003 • 711 Posts
Tony Hawk is dead to me. Skate is amazing and so realistic, Tony Hawk is just an easy button combo game.FlawlessSeasons
hmm... so i guess its like comparing Gran Turismo vs Need for Speed. one is a simulator, the other is more arcadey. according to this assumption, if both games can deliver and deliver well, they both can be great in their own right, no? skate being the simulator - real life skating, while TH being arcadey - racking up a bunch of tricks with a ton of points...
tony_fjellborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tony_fjellborg
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
I thought skate was just boring.. It was'nt hard or anything but it did'nt have the magic tony hawk games have..
pyrobrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pyrobrand
Member since 2005 • 516 Posts
I'm off to DL this as we speak. I always thought the Tony Hawk games were pretty fun, and I love the look of the new options (BUILT IN VIDEO EDITOR) but I don't know. I haven't completely seen what Skate is going to be like, the control scheme and such, and this might be what I want to float my boat. I always did end up getting pissed off at one button combo in Tony Hawk that just wouldn't work. I ended up cheating on grinds, just because I didn't want to have to deal with all of the crap they wanted to make me do.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

lol you must not be that good at the game.

Its not that hard to learn, its wayyyy more fun than any Tony Hawk game.

I loved the demo, one of my favorite demos ever.

comelstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 comelstr
Member since 2005 • 677 Posts
i did not like the demo its too much of a sim, the camera is awful hard to chain tricks and it felt slow i like tony halk games because is fun to play and its easy to do tricks. nuff said
BlueTimber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BlueTimber
Member since 2004 • 722 Posts

i did not like the demo its too much of a sim, the camera is awful hard to chain tricks and it felt slow i like tony halk games because is fun to play and its easy to do tricks. nuff said comelstr

Its realistic. you're not gonna have magnets on your board that pull you towards the rails, or be able to fly 20 feet in the air and do 30 tricks.