Should there be a "Cover system" in every shooter that comes out?

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EarthShakeNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EarthShakeNews
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts
Personally I hope not.

I mean why make every game exactly the same as Kill switch?

anyone glad there won't be a cover system in Graw 2's MP?

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Every game has a cover system. Its called hide behind something, shoot, get back into cover. It doesn't have to be a certain button that gets you into cover to make it a cover system...
Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

As much as I like it in Rainbow Six: Vegas, I think that its a welcome feature into shooters. But I also like pure FPS games a lot, and if the cover system was implemented in every game.. I'd probably quit playing shooters entirely.

butkis689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 butkis689
Member since 2003 • 1955 Posts
too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, so no. there better not be a cover system in halo 3
-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Zaku-
Member since 2005 • 15425 Posts
No, I'm not glad that there isn't a cover system in GRAW 2's MP :| That was my gripe with the first and they didn't even fix it for the second.
menduco76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 menduco76
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts

Personally I hope not.

EarthShakeNews

well why make every other game like Halo?  I dont want ALL shooters to have a cover system because then it will just become the norm....but i really woudl like to see more of it.  I think it adds SO much to shooters.  Honestly after a while I find first person shooters boring.  But thats just me.  I much prefer 3rd person with a cover system.  I am not happy about Graw 2s multiplayer not having a cover system because I loved the game play in GRAWs single player mode, so when i played multiplayer a was a little disapointed.  

But hey, different stroke for different folks.  So I say lets see more cover systems, but lets not make that be the standard.  I would also love to see some great FPS....and some kind of innovation in a FPS would be great.  Games like FEAR are cool...but really I didnt see much substance behind it.  Just run down a hallway, point, shoot, run down a hallway, throw a grenade, point, shoot.....etc......etc......etc...... .  Maybe halo 3 will deliver? 

GunnerVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GunnerVIII
Member since 2006 • 4135 Posts
No, most definately not.
ryan_mirow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 ryan_mirow
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts
No, I'm not glad that there isn't a cover system in GRAW 2's MP :| That was my gripe with the first and they didn't even fix it for the second.-Zaku-
I agree. I mean it's okay for some games to have a cover system and some not to, but when there's a difference in single and multiplayer that's THAT IMPORTANT in the single player game, it takes an unwelcome getting used to when I switch between the two.
MrMurphy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrMurphy72
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts
Simple fact of the matter is that a cover system makes FPS more realisitic. 
FPSjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FPSjohn
Member since 2005 • 993 Posts
every game would be the same if they all had a cover system, we need innovation.
Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts

As much as I like it in Rainbow Six: Vegas, I think that its a welcome feature into shooters. But I also like pure FPS games a lot, and if the cover system was implemented in every game.. I'd probably quit playing shooters entirely.

Blicen
I agree cover in say....Doom 3 would just be terrible
WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WillT12345
Member since 2004 • 3123 Posts
No not every FPS should have a cover system, example, halo 3 better not have a cover system.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
no, but i'm playing Rainbow sicx vegas now and boy.. that cover system is sweeeeeeeet. hate the one in graw.
Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cabal23
Member since 2003 • 1268 Posts
Cover = more realism. That is what and am so glad to see it in games. It's not a gimmick but something a real person would do if getting shot at.
Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
No, there shouldn't. I mean the Cover system isn't bad, but GoW completely depends on it. It shouldn't be like that.
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
Although I enjoy the cover systems in games such as GoW and R6:Vegas, I do not agree they make games more *realistic* as some people are saying. When using the system around a corner, it lets you see what's happening without even looking......Now I haven't played R6 multiplayer yet, but I could imagine how many unfair kills people would get because of this.
imakillaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 imakillaholic
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts
I hate Rainbow Six Vegas's cover system, i hate holding L, i love gears of wars cover system though
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
I hate Rainbow Six Vegas's cover system, i hate holding L, i love gears of wars cover system thoughimakillaholic
love them both. they both have their strengths, the gears system is more focust on action and the rainbow system on tactics. They are both great for their goal
Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
I like having a cover button, because it lets me know that I'm out of a direct line of sight. You can never be sure in most FPS.
imakillaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 imakillaholic
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

I know what you mean, I just don't like RSV control scheme, it didn't work out for me, o well its still an amazing game :)

jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
The cover systems, as they work now, are pretty much overpowered in so many ways. You can hide behind a corner, never popping out, but still know everything that is going on around the corner? No man, I don't like it at all. If they found a way to balance it a bit more, like make the background fuzzy or something so you can't see everything clear as day, maybe that would make it better. For SP, maybe its fine, but for MP, definitely not.
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
No i would hate to be in every shooter.
jhunte99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jhunte99
Member since 2003 • 2673 Posts
although i love cover in games like gears of war and rainbow six veags, but it does have its downsides and some unrealistic element to it. For example in gears of war you can be in front of somebody hugging a wall and on your screen it look like they are staring right at you but infact they are looking round the corner and can't even see you. now that is unrealistic and so is being able to see round a corner if you havn't got your head popped out.

i think it depends on the game, it suits tactical shooters especially in single player, but can be contreversial in multiplayer. I reckon innovation will come from attention to detail like gears of war's reload system and even a few different reload animations in a 1st person shooter. I know these arn't huge changes but it just draws you into the game more. For me destructable environments is a great addition to anygame.
jhunte99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jhunte99
Member since 2003 • 2673 Posts
[QUOTE="jmartinez1983"]The cover systems, as they work now, are pretty much overpowered in so many ways. You can hide behind a corner, never popping out, but still know everything that is going on around the corner? No man, I don't like it at all. If they found a way to balance it a bit more, like make the background fuzzy or something so you can't see everything clear as day, maybe that would make it better. For SP, maybe its fine, but for MP, definitely not.

that is actually a really great idea, you could even say the fuzzy background is your 6th sense that you get after years of experience as an elite commando or something. I would love to see that in a game.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jason_A
Member since 2006 • 2121 Posts

I think every shooter should have a cover system.

After playing GRAWF and RS: Vegas, it just seems so logical and intuitive that it seems odd now when I play games without a cover system (like Call of Duty and Counter-Strike).

I'm a big fan of tactical shooters though so maybe I have a bias.

northface13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 northface13
Member since 2006 • 598 Posts
NO...and people saying it adds to the realism are stupid. It's completely unrealistic.
daishi112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 daishi112
Member since 2004 • 1564 Posts
No, I'm not glad that there isn't a cover system in GRAW 2's MP :| That was my gripe with the first and they didn't even fix it for the second.-Zaku-
Agreed.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
I think there definately shouldn't be cover system in every shooter. Anyone having played normal fps knows that you can just cover by getting an obstacle between you and an enemy. You don't need a fancy button for that. Also, being able to look around corners without being visible from the other side is quite cheap. A new cover system could be there though, where you are still in first person, can still blindfire, but need to look around cover to see something. That would be realistic, as well as it would make it more action packed. (when to look?)
Arsenal140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Arsenal140
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts
[QUOTE="Sensui1986"]No, there shouldn't. I mean the Cover system isn't bad, but GoW completely depends on it. It shouldn't be like that.

What do you mean it depends on it? thats stupid,your just looking for ways to put GoW down because its the 'in' thing at the moment.
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
No i love the old school ways
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
Personally I hope not.

EarthShakeNews
i always thought there should be a cover system. like when youre playing COD2 you see all of your allies leaning up against the wall but you cant
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jason_A
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Every game has a cover system. Its called hide behind something, shoot, get back into cover. It doesn't have to be a certain button that gets you into cover to make it a cover system...

Ha ha - I love it when someone has the first response to a forum and makes a avery intelligent point!
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jason_A
[QUOTE="EarthShakeNews"]Personally I hope not.

zero9167
i always thought there should be a cover system. like when youre playing COD2 you see all of your allies leaning up against the wall but you cant

Good point - those teamate bastards are always leaning up against the wall!!!!
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jason_A
[QUOTE="Arsenal140"][QUOTE="Sensui1986"]No, there shouldn't. I mean the Cover system isn't bad, but GoW completely depends on it. It shouldn't be like that.

What do you mean it depends on it? thats stupid,your just looking for ways to put GoW down because its the 'in' thing at the moment.

Woah! Chill out man - I think Sensui has a reasonable point and there is no reason to allege that he is making stuff up to put GoW down. GoW does in my opinion rely to much on the cover system - in other games with cover systems like Rainbow Six: Vegas, its there when you need it but you don't have to constantly use it. In GoW its just almost 100% - get cover and stay there while you shoot all the bad guys - then move to the next piece of cover and repeat.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jason_A
I think there definately shouldn't be cover system in every shooter. Anyone having played normal fps knows that you can just cover by getting an obstacle between you and an enemy. You don't need a fancy button for that. Also, being able to look around corners without being visible from the other side is quite cheap. A new cover system could be there though, where you are still in first person, can still blindfire, but need to look around cover to see something. That would be realistic, as well as it would make it more action packed. (when to look?)11Marcel
Good point - is in kinda cheap being able to look around with the camera but keep your character completely hidden. I still love the cover system in games but I won't claim that its more realistic after reading your point.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts
some games need them, others do not, like in gears, if you weren't in cover you would be shot by enemies that you could not see.  In other games like halo 3, you may not need one because terrain and buildings can be your cover.
OnLineKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OnLineKilla
Member since 2004 • 439 Posts
It shouldn't be in EVERY shooter, only ones where it would work well in, such as games like GoW or R6. If there was a cover system in FPS's like Halo or counterstrike, or even battlefield, it just wouldn't work that well.
The_SandRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_SandRock
Member since 2004 • 1946 Posts

NO...and people saying it adds to the realism are stupid. It's completely unrealistic.northface13

Unrealistic my ass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Warrior

LeftCoastO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LeftCoastO
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
A game doesn't need a designated button to be more than a run and gun. BLACK, although a game without too many fans, has you dying quite a lot if you don't pick your spots. 
octo1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 octo1993
Member since 2004 • 56 Posts
Cover = more realism. That is what and am so glad to see it in games. It's not a gimmick but something a real person would do if getting shot at.Cabal23
Wait...aren't games supposed to take you out of reality?
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

Personally I hope not.

EarthShakeNews

If someone was shooting at you, wouldn't YOU take cover?

Nuff said.

Cornerstore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cornerstore
Member since 2006 • 2137 Posts
well you have to kind of think about it if someone is getting shot at in real life as someone else said yes you would take cover against something. You wouldnt do as in other videos games run outside the door shoot run back in you know what i am saying here?
EarthShakeNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EarthShakeNews
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts
well you have to kind of think about it if someone is getting shot at in real life as someone else said yes you would take cover against something. You wouldnt do as in other videos games run outside the door shoot run back in you know what i am saying here?Cornerstore
But the method in which you take cover is entirely unrealistic. How can you see what is beyond that wall you are hiding behind if you back is pressed up agianst it?
Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cabal23

NO...and people saying it adds to the realism are stupid. It's completely unrealistic.northface13

Defend your point or don't post. Why is being in cover unrealistic? You must be the guy who stands in the doorway and gets shot. Your the guy who makes my score go up. If you want to run and gun go play the games from the 90's. Games are advancing forward because of better programming and cover is going to be a fact of life and won't be a second thought. It adds one more element of complexity to an ever changing game environment. I do understand the complaint of being able to see all the way around a corner being unrealistic, but I think someone will come up with a inventive fix to that. For now though I love all the Clancy games that have included new types of movement in to games. Imagine all the movement types(hanging, climbing  up walls, hugging walls, etc) you can do in Splinter Cell, in a FPS. That is the next evolution.

Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cabal23

[QUOTE="Cabal23"]Cover = more realism. That is what and am so glad to see it in games. It's not a gimmick but something a real person would do if getting shot at.octo1993
Wait...aren't games supposed to take you out of reality?

Please go play Mario Brothers. When I play a tactical shooter I want realism you dolt. Games take you places you can't go in real life. I never will be able to be a elite soldier in my life, but playing one is why I game.

kriptonzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kriptonzz
Member since 2004 • 3637 Posts

I sort of think so, it's something that certain shooters like Rainbow need,and games like Bioshock don't need.

Id prefer a cover system though, im surprised call of duty 4 didn't have one.

dawgsfan1447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 dawgsfan1447
Member since 2004 • 5054 Posts
I hope not as well. Not a rigid one like GoW anyway (though I did like it in that context). If someone could come up with a really good dynamic system for utilizing cover, but not locking you into it that would be great.
canadiankidd91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 canadiankidd91
Member since 2007 • 680 Posts
no
Xx-CLOUD-xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points