Should all multiplayer games have a progression/rewards system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

So I was playing some versus on Left 4 Dead earlier today, and I thought that it would be so much more rewarding if the points we accumulate after the round actually counted for something other than telling the difference between winning or losing.

It seems like all the big multiplayer games have some sort of progression/rewards system that, I feel, give the multiplayer component more longevity. Anyways, do you like a rewards/ranking system in multiplayer? Should this start becoming a requirement for all multiplayer games?

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

...you mean like call of duty 4.

why do people always think that the best way to improve a game is to make it more like call of duty 4?

werthog14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 werthog14
Member since 2005 • 420 Posts
Personally, a rewards system is what makes me want to play multiplayer.
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

why do people always think that the best way to improve a game is to make it more like call of duty 4?

Xeros606

or like Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Battlefield: Bad Company, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, etc. And it's no coincidence that Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: World at War happen to be immensely popular.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xeros606
[QUOTE="Xeros606"]

Lanezy

or like Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Battlefield: Bad Company, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, etc. And it's no coincidence that Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: World at War happen to be immensely popular.

your asking for a 'rewards/progression system' which is different from a ranking system.
GwannaSauna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GwannaSauna
Member since 2008 • 583 Posts
No thanks. Going through hell and back trying to get to lvl. 65 for a few guns, perks and modes and two achievements isn't worth it.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#7 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Maybe if the rewards are new outfits and stuff that don't really effect the gameplay. But weapons and equipment? No. There goes the balance. thats not particularly fair to new players or people who just don't play as often.
makemeweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 makemeweak
Member since 2005 • 1137 Posts
I don't think many games need a progression system. I really don't think that the system makes COD4 any more fun - it just has strong multiplayer gameplay.
GCN-beats-PS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 GCN-beats-PS2
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts
hell no, it takes freaking long to be as good as everyone else. i hate that in COD4,5...
MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

I didn't mind it in COD 4 since the best guns were unlocked at the start anyways (MP5, M16,AK47,MP5, M40A3) and getting to level 55 wasn't that much of a grind.

But in WAW not only do you get crap guns at the start (with the exception of the MP40 which comes at like level 9 i think), they decided it would be a great idea to add 10 more levels.... I don't want 10 more levels, I just want to go into prestige already. Treyarch=fail.

That being said a rewards system is ok for the more casual multiplayer like call of duty, but for the more competitive games like Halo or Gears they would have to make sure that the rewards don't hinder the equalness of the gameplay. You know, things like different colored guns, different armor etc.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Sometimes.Like I enjoyed the reward sytem to an extent in COD4 but at the same time I loved playing Team Fotress 2 or Halo 3 and having to not worry about unlocking guns or camo.I don't think all games should have it.It seems like people let things like rewards and other virtual pat on your back techniques get to them way to much.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
a little, i do wish there was something to get for getting high in a rank or something. games like left 4 dead don't as the single player co op is what the game is really of. playing and trying to survive the zombies. i do wish some games had like some kind of reward to getting a high rank something like new armor or something like that.
TheGameCritic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 TheGameCritic
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

ha i see killer and iam2green in SOOOO many forums

well i dont really mind either way. If they made progression actually makeyou unlock new stuff like modes and avatar clothes(like soldier outfit for COD, Gears costume etc...) that would be really cool. then i would always want that type of reward system. oh and gamer pics/ themes

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

Totally agree. It gives me something to work towards and a snese of achievement when i get there.

[QUOTE="Xeros606"]

[QUOTE="Lanezy"][QUOTE="Xeros606"]

Lanezy

your asking for a 'rewards/progression system' which is different from a ranking system.

Says who? Last i checked gaining rewards was a kind of progression.
Minami_Ikki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Minami_Ikki
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
hell yeah multiplaer games should have a rewards/ranking/progression system. it gives you some more to look forward to and shows the new players that yes, i'm better than you before you show them that yes, youre better than them. also when ranking you should always be able to lose you're exp/rank after getting ur ass handed to you enough times so that the guy who has never lost a match isn't the same rank as the guy who has gotten his ass kicked 75%of his matchs but has achieved the highest lvl because he has play for an acumulated time of 30days.
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
yeah...i agree. But the fact that people grief other players by blocking doorways with no reward system makes me wonder how bad it would be if there were. Other than that, I would like to at least see my statistics for wins, losses, kills as survivors or kills as certain infected.
Snrm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Snrm007
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts
If this means ranking system then yes i love Ranks!
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
I don't believe making a game more customizable makes it like CoD. But it did get it popular and for one thing it made the game addictive. I don't think it would fit well with all games. But I feel that a leveling system with rewards makes online so much fun. I sure wish more games did it though. And not just to the weapons how about some gear for CoD's online. Each side would have a base mold, then you could customize that base with all sorts of gear form different hats, gloves, armor, boots to shirts. Each new level would bring; Perks, Weapon Mods, and Gear. But I guess thats because I'm a big RPG fan.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts
It really doesn't matter to me. Progression systems in multiplayer FPS titles have been around since the early parts of the decade, so they're nothing new, and developers have gotten by fairly well without them. It's nice to have it seem like your hours of playing are going towards something, but it's more important for devs to focus on creating a fun core gameplay experience for the multiplayer than having persistent characters, rankings, and unlockables.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xeros606

Totally agree. It gives me something to work towards and a snese of achievement when i get there.

[QUOTE="Xeros606"]

[QUOTE="Lanezy"]

vendettared468

Says who? Last i checked gaining rewards was a kind of progression.

wait what? i dont get it. im saying that a ranking system (halo 3, gears of war) is different from an rewards/progression system (bad company, call of duty 4).

Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
Some games should have it, other shouldn't. It just gives people a reason to boost.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Some games should have it, other shouldn't. It just gives people a reason to boost.Zach68486
Exactly.If there is ANY type of ranking you are always going to have boosters who must be number one,or have the highest rank.It makes no sense and it makes for an even worst online experience community wise.
Avatar image for sharpshooter188
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 sharpshooter188
Member since 2003 • 4368 Posts
I agree. CoD 4 did have a good idea. But they are not the only ones to do this. Rainbow Six vegas 2 did it as well, as did Farcry 2. I like the fact that i have a weapon someone else cant get for a while. :P I just like the idea in general though.