Remember how Xbox Live used to be?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NewShire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NewShire
Member since 2008 • 1330 Posts

I was just thinking about when I first logged onto xbox live. The first game I played online was Call of Duty 2, and I was so surprised by the diversity of people that you could talk to. There were people of all ages and genders, and except for the occational trash talking teen or child, everyone was really pleasant and fun to talk to.

Now it seems that all of the rude teens and annoying kids have caused all of the respectful adults and females, who want to actually have nice conversations, to leave their mics out of their controllers.

It's a real shame. Most xbox live games are either completely quiet, or just have one or two annoying teens yelling at unresponsive players.

IIRS3II_H1TMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 IIRS3II_H1TMAN
Member since 2009 • 568 Posts
Um, no. Xbox Live has been the same as ever, with the occasional upgrade.
ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ps3tim
Member since 2009 • 114 Posts

I was just thinking about when I first logged onto xbox live. The first game I played online was Call of Duty 2, and I was so surprised by the diversity of people that you could talk to. There were people of all ages and genders, and except for the occational trash talking teen or child, everyone was really pleasant and fun to talk to.

Now it seems that all of the rude teens and annoying kids have caused all of the respectful adults and females, who want to actually have nice conversations, to leave their mics out of their controllers.

It's a real shame. Most xbox live games are either completely quiet, or just have one or two annoying teens yelling at unresponsive players.

NewShire
I was thinking that also then i thought about what i was told about ps3 and how theres no teens but then again theres barely anyone on at all.............so it's either no one or teens. id rather no one. ;)
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Sadly I was never on Xbox live when it was like that but I have been playing Team Fortress 2 for a long time and most people are pretty mature.

ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ps3tim
screw that game i got it with orange box and played it once....... HORRIBLE!!! :(
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 craigalan23
screw that game i got it with orange box and played it once....... HORRIBLE!!! :(ps3tim
I disagree easily the greatest multiplayer game in years.
NewShire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NewShire

Um, no. Xbox Live has been the same as ever, with the occasional upgrade.IIRS3II_H1TMAN

That's not true, it really has changed.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

I remember playing Halo 2 and Counter-Strike on the original xbox with xbox live. The trash talk was insane on Counter-Strike. Halo 2 also had a lot of trash talk. Xbox live is still the same in a way the only thing that changed is that players become more quiet because of the new party system.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
I got live when it first launched with mechassault in 2002 and have had it since. Live has always been the same. They were suppost to fix all of the trash talk n ec.... with the gamer zone and star rating in the 360, so you could play with people who where more like you. I will call the gamer zone star rating a FAIL plus they havent talked about it in forever.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

I never use my microphone unless I'm playing with a friend and then we just private chat. Every time I play online some punk kid joins and starts yelling at everyone.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 craigalan23

I never use my microphone unless I'm playing with a friend and then we just private chat. Every time I play online some punk kid joins and starts yelling at everyone.

PlasmaBeam44
This s why I normally have mine set to ignore everyone except friends. Before I would hear so many people cuss it was unbelievable now luckily I just hear the occasional cuss word when someone dies. Though it can be pretty hilarious at times.
Johnnylaw47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Johnnylaw47
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts

I just ignore the trash talkers, most of them just do it cuz they're bitter. My first time playing Halo 3 I had like the lowest rank and my friend and i ended up playing king of the hill with all these high ranked players... they were really nice until by some stroke of luck we beat them then they just started cursing. They just looked like morons after that so now whenever I hear anyone talk trash I just laugh.

ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ps3tim
[QUOTE="ps3tim"]screw that game i got it with orange box and played it once....... HORRIBLE!!! :(craigalan23

no you just have bad taste in games. :P
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

[QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]Um, no. Xbox Live has been the same as ever, with the occasional upgrade.NewShire

Actually, I agree with you. I used to always play online with my mic, but now a days I don't even use it, unless I'm with friends I know.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

[QUOTE="IIRS3II_H1TMAN"]Um, no. Xbox Live has been the same as ever, with the occasional upgrade.NewShire

Now are talking about Xbox 360 only Xbox Live or Xbox live from the original Xbox because if you mean from original Xbox (Halo 2) then no it hasn't changed. It went from awful in Halo 2 to pretty good (CoD2) to awful like Halo 2 again. The only reason it got better was because the people that bought the console at the start weren't the little 11 yr old kids that make you want to strangle them. Xbox Live and every other online service has its fair share of those people, but everyone gets a headset with Xbox Live which is why it seems to be the worst. If PS3 came with a Headset or every computer (and every game supported voice chat) then they would hear exactly what we do, but since they don't they get the people giving them the "better" community award. Now i don't know how Xbox Live was pre Halo 2, but i am just saying it really hasn't and has changed since then. It has been a steady pile of community crap. That doesn't mean i don't pay for it because i do (since 2004) and i love playing online.... with my mic turned off.
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
[QUOTE="craigalan23"][QUOTE="ps3tim"]screw that game i got it with orange box and played it once....... HORRIBLE!!! :(ps3tim

Everything that game out of the Orange Box was a gift from the gaming gods. :)
Imm0ral_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Imm0ral_Knight
Member since 2009 • 261 Posts
I never go to the game chat. I always private chat or party chat with my friends. Way better!
ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ps3tim
[QUOTE="RoslindaleOne"][QUOTE="ps3tim"][QUOTE="craigalan23"] I disagree easily the greatest multiplayer game in years.

I loved them all except team fortress because it just wasn't my type of game......Half Life was great! As well as portal! :)
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

It is because adults bought the system when it first came out and then it took awhile for parents to get the console to their kids.

ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ps3tim

It is because adults bought the system when it first came out and then it took awhile for parents to get the console to their kids.

Diddies
that decision should have never happened because it ruined xbox live!! :(
MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

well ive only had XBL for over a year n its always kids yelling random crap or Dbags calling everybody a n00b. thats why i never use my mic anymore.

ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ps3tim
thats y i never go on anymore cuz im fed up with the bs. I hve a friend who gos on XBL and yells like a 10 yr old and calls ppl noobs like hes better than every1! therefore XBL SUCKS!!! :(
gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
[QUOTE="ps3tim"][QUOTE="craigalan23"] I disagree easily the greatest multiplayer game in years.RoslindaleOne

true that, got orange box yesterday and thats a wonderful package. tf2 is kinda hard to get into and craigalan, you are deadly wrong, halo3 is the **** :P
ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ps3tim
[QUOTE="RoslindaleOne"][QUOTE="ps3tim"]no you just have bad taste in games. :Pgow117

true that, got orange box yesterday and thats a wonderful package. tf2 is kinda hard to get into and craigalan, you are deadly wrong, halo3 is the **** :P

Ive had it since march and beat it in a week! It was fun just could have had more to it......
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts

Xbox Lives never changed, people have been obnoxious on it since the original Xbox days.

TOC48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 TOC48
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts

I dont think it is xbox live but certain games in which you run into certain people. Like in Halo 3 it seems that 90% of the poeple who play are 12 and with Gears of War 2 most of the people are potty mouths beyond recognition.

ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ps3tim

I dont think it is xbox live but certain games in which you run into certain people. Like in Halo 3 it seems that 90% of the poeple who play are 12 and with Gears of War 2 most of the people are potty mouths beyond recognition.

TOC48
that's true and not true seeing as xbox live is open to anyone and most parents buy their kids M games.......but ya halo 3 is more prone to bad mouth kids. :)
AngelusRahl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AngelusRahl
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

ahhh i remember the first time i played xbl. it was with the original gears adn i got lucky and found a room of awesome players withh little maturation issues. after a while i just laughed when i would spank some trash talking ten year old into the floor with a torque bow. I never cut the mic off though cause i mean there are people worth playing with and finding gamers of my mentality is a reward for putting up withall the bs the rest put out

chronofreak69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chronofreak69
Member since 2009 • 141 Posts
yep and anybody that disagrees hasnt had the xbox live since launch
scfan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 scfan3
Member since 2004 • 3325 Posts

PlasmaBeam44
Same here my friend. I would rather play with just the sounds of the game than have to listen to someone complaining about something going on or shouting at his whole team for some dumb reason. Are there nice players out there? Yes, but I prefer just avoiding the issue altogether.
NewShire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NewShire

There's no question that most of the people that play on xbox live are nice people. The thing is tho, that all of those nice people play with their mics off for good reason.

franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts

NewShire

I have no clue what game your playing, but you must have the worst luck in the world, because I play a lot of games and I hear people all the time. Now some are jerks but most are cool, remember some people just like to trash talk to play around but dont push the boundary of being disrespectful.

Also with the party chat feature, most friends are in one.

SEANSEXYUNDIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 SEANSEXYUNDIES
Member since 2008 • 1489 Posts

i remember when it was just xbox

no 360 since it was harder to have live back then it seemed like it was more for the true players. Now it seems like everyone and their mom has xbox live and annoying little 9 year olds end up flooding games that i find too mature for them. Then they get so mad when you can beat their clearly cheap tactics over and over again. Then they send the annoying messages full of grammer and spelling mistakes like **** spell feg i mean wtf guys. Some times i really hate xbox live when im not in a party chat, i miss the old days.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

NewShire
the XBL community hasn't changed changed since it was first released back in 2002.
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts

yep and anybody that disagrees hasnt had the xbox live since launchchronofreak69
I do disagree and have had Live since launch and most of my friendlist is people that have been gaming with since 05.

I dont know if your black but the first few months to a year of Live, was nothing but Cyber Racist, that talked tough online and quite in real life. They would try to say the craziest things to offend people, but me and my friends would clown them, till they ran off, and the white people we play with was always ashamed of how so called people of their race made them look.

Now since then the shock and awe has worn off, we dont run into those people like we used too. Now I will still run into people who believe there is no way possible anyone is better than them and cant take it when they lose, or the constant people who complain of weapons or methods people use to play.

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Yeah CoD2's online community has always been cool, at least from what I remember.
XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
[QUOTE="NewShire"]

Yeah, its kinda sad that games like Halo 3 has to get those type of people in the game, just trash talkers that has no life. I do miss the good old days when i got COD 2 and talk to nice people, but remember this, the people that plays halo 3 and COD 4 (and others) were playing Halo 2 that time, just remember about that.
XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
[QUOTE="XXGamerfanXX"][QUOTE="NewShire"]

Yeah, its kinda sad that games like Halo 3 has to get those type of people in the game, just trash talkers that has no life. I do miss the good old days when i got COD 2 and talk to nice people, but remember this, the people that plays halo 3 and COD 4 (and others) were playing Halo 2 that time, just remember about that.

Atleast the Party Chat feature helps it out, Party Chats saves online gaming and its the best feature in the NXE.
mccloskey-14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mccloskey-14
Member since 2007 • 472 Posts

It's nice when you come across genuine people online, like I have made a bunch of friends from random games of Halo or Call of Duty and I am glad that I had my mic in, but since party chat has been inducted it makes life easier, well in the ears department anyway, just kids, I don't know if they seek attention but they scream like a pedophile has walked in on them, what their parents must think when they hear them scream and use certain terms of discrimination and racism?

Though I must say, most people I have become friends with are either my age and can relate to or are older, some of them are even married and are mature and don't loud mouth or boast or any of that, real down to earth people, I say a lot of them are out there but are muted by the young children that can't stop comlaining.

zombehhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zombehhhh
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

Whenever I hear a trash-talking 8 year old in a Halo 3 lobby, I tell them to shut up and get a life. I use my mic only if others on my team are, but it does piss me off when you can't even talk to anyone there with a mic because 1 or more losers are arguing about some stupid crap or making gay noises. But I think that's been happening from the beginning. And the reason that most adult men and women don't use mics is because they don't care about how bad the weather is in Seattle or how the Minnesota Vikings got crushed a week ago. And frankly, neither do I.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I remember when Xbox LIVE first came out. There weren't many games you could play on it. I used to mostly play a demo of Moto GP that came with the LIVE starter pack. I'd play it for hours. Every time you went into a game you would have a great laugh. Everyone would joke with each other. Everyone used their headsets. It was a good time. Publishers would release DLC for big games and it would be FREE! Ubisoft released three single player missions for the original Splinter Cell that were free to download. Everything changed once Halo 2 was released. Xbox LIVE had a huge increase in membership. Unfortunately most of those new members were complete *****. I never use my headset now. Neither does most other people in the games I play. When I first got LIVE I thought it was the future. Now I just think of it as an annoying distraction that frustrates more than it entertains.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
There have been jackoffs online since the beginning of online gaming. Voice chat just made it easier for idiots to act like idiots. I wouldn't say it's gotten any better or worse.
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

[QUOTE="NewShire"]

ps3tim

I was thinking that also then i thought about what i was told about ps3 and how theres no teens but then again theres barely anyone on at all.............so it's either no one or teens. id rather no one. ;)

LMAO, No one on PSN? Those people you refer to who you claim not to have their mic's plugged in are on your beloved party chat.

ps3tim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ps3tim

[QUOTE="ps3tim"][QUOTE="NewShire"]

360hammer

LMAO, No one on PSN? Those people you refer to who you claim not to have their mic's plugged in are on your beloved party chat.

im just going by what i was told not by experience. :)
360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

[QUOTE="360hammer"]

[QUOTE="ps3tim"]I was thinking that also then i thought about what i was told about ps3 and how theres no teens but then again theres barely anyone on at all.............so it's either no one or teens. id rather no one. ;)ps3tim

im just going by what i was told not by experience. :)

LOL, Well lets see over 20 million PS3's sold and FREE online, not gonna be too hard to find people online. I find it funny how people bash PS3 for not having privite cross game chat and party chat which is clearly not doing anything to improve online games other than making it silent LOL.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#46 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I got live in the summer of 2007. Not much has changed except now it's harder to play with my entire friends list since most of they have broken away to many different games and refuse to others. So, I can't say anything bad has really happened in these past two years.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
I remember playing R6V and usually having some cool people. I've been playing Halo 3 lately with a friend of mine and almost every game has someone that squeals, swears, and sings. I had a 9 year old screaming out swear words every few minutes. At 9 years old I could barely comprehend what those words meant.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
and xbox live was a around a little before CoD 2
ac_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 ac_90
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

the mute button is my best friend these days :P xbox live is good just mute whoever is annoying and its like theyre not in the game

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts

Im cool with it, very useful tool =]
Too bad you feel this way =/