Regarding Microsoft's "Ultimate Game Sale"...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
What are the odds that Microsoft is going to get it right and take this opportunity to show that they're serious about a digital format future? Will they finally prove that their "sales" of digital content can be just as insane as Steam, where even games you had zero interest in playing are just so cheap that you'd feel like an idiot to pass it up, or is this going to be another so-called sale that only serves to prove that Microsoft is completely clueless about why so many consumers still prefer physical disc copies? Example: Far Cry 3 is supposedly one of the games going to be on sale. Best Buy is currently (as of today's ad) selling Far Cry 3 for $19.99 - a physical copy that you could buy, play, beat, and then pass around to all your friends, then turn around and probably sell for an easy $10. As such, a digital copy would be to be significantly cheaper, like $10 or less. So, do you think we'll see that, or are we going to see a more traditional Microsoft 'sale' price of, say, $29.99? And what about the older games, like Perfect Dark Zero (wasn't that a launch title for the 360?), The Orange Box and Mass Effect? Any chance we'll see those games priced appropriately at under $10? Or will Microsoft tag them at $19.99 each and somehow believe that's a sale price? Though, I suppose one could argue that The Orange Box is still a pretty good deal at 20 bucks... But then, that's just it: Steam sales typically take "good deals" and make them great by dropping the price to the point where it's just un-freakin'-believable that they could sell such awesome games at dirt cheap prices. And whether Microsoft (and Sony) are willing to concede the point or not, digital download sales are always going to be compared to Steam, because Steam has pretty much set the gold standard and shown how you make digital copies more appealing than physical discs. So, is Microsoft going to prove they're ready to play with the big boys, or are they going to flub it (again)?
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I wouldn't expect the sales to be great by any standard - Microsoft has never even come close to matching the sale prices of PC digital distribution platforms like Steam, Amazon, or GMG. I don't expect them to be any better now. 

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#3 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I don't expect the sales to be good at all.
narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

When is the next sale, this summer?

thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thedarklinglord

I wouldn't expect the sales to be great by any standard - Microsoft has never even come close to matching the sale prices of PC digital distribution platforms like Steam, Amazon, or GMG. I don't expect them to be any better now.

Vari3ty
Yeah, I'm expecting typical XBox sale prices, which is to say meager discounts that still leave the games so grossly overpriced that it's almost an outright lie to call the event a sale. Like, "Bioshock Infinite was $59.99 but now you can save a whole $10!" Nevermind the fact that you can buy a physical copy for $39.99 and then sell it or trade it for a possible $20 cash or credit. Still, I'm trying to hold onto a sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe, Microsoft will surprise us and do something unexpected, something a little crazy. It would be the smart move. First, I think it'd help generate some good will toward the company - something I believe they still need. Second, it'd be a good way to test the waters and maybe get some feedback on how to improve the XBox Marketplace to make it a more appealing option to those people who typically avoid digital downloads because they can't be sold or traded. And third, even though the 360 and PS3 will be around and, to some extent, still supported for a few more years yet, this generation is mostly coming to an end, and since a lot of people will be moving on to next gen consoles, now seems like an appropriate time to just have a proper blowout on all those older games; since they've already gotten pretty much all the sales they were going to get at $60, then $40, and finally $20, you might as well milk the last few drops by catching all the stragglers who still wouldn't buy them at $20 but, at a super-low discount of just $5 per title, can't pass them up. But, yeah, I doubt we'll see something like that. I mean, it's not entirely unprecedented, since they did have Alan Wake on sale for $5 a couple weeks ago. That shows they're not above getting a little crazy with their sale prices (though, at the time, I believe Steam was selling Alan Wake, the two DLC, and American Nightmare as a bundle for less 4 bucks, so...) and they could do it again, possibly with several games (Perfect Dark Zero, Mass Effect, Prey, Crysis, Bulletstorm, The Orange Box and a few others would all be ideal choices). But I'm not optimistic.
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thedarklinglord

When is the next sale, this summer?

narlymech
I believe it's supposed to start tomorrow, July 1st.
WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 WeskerTeam
Member since 2010 • 1827 Posts

I recently got Sonic Generations for 9.99$ at games on demand and was suprised that it was actually a good deal when I checked physical copy prices. I think MS could suprise us.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Vari3ty
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

thedarklinglord

Yeah, I'm expecting typical XBox sale prices, which is to say meager discounts that still leave the games so grossly overpriced that it's almost an outright lie to call the event a sale. Like, "Bioshock Infinite was $59.99 but now you can save a whole $10!" Nevermind the fact that you can buy a physical copy for $39.99 and then sell it or trade it for a possible $20 cash or credit. Still, I'm trying to hold onto a sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe, Microsoft will surprise us and do something unexpected, something a little crazy. It would be the smart move. First, I think it'd help generate some good will toward the company - something I believe they still need. Second, it'd be a good way to test the waters and maybe get some feedback on how to improve the XBox Marketplace to make it a more appealing option to those people who typically avoid digital downloads because they can't be sold or traded. And third, even though the 360 and PS3 will be around and, to some extent, still supported for a few more years yet, this generation is mostly coming to an end, and since a lot of people will be moving on to next gen consoles, now seems like an appropriate time to just have a proper blowout on all those older games; since they've already gotten pretty much all the sales they were going to get at $60, then $40, and finally $20, you might as well milk the last few drops by catching all the stragglers who still wouldn't buy them at $20 but, at a super-low discount of just $5 per title, can't pass them up. But, yeah, I doubt we'll see something like that. I mean, it's not entirely unprecedented, since they did have Alan Wake on sale for $5 a couple weeks ago. That shows they're not above getting a little crazy with their sale prices (though, at the time, I believe Steam was selling Alan Wake, the two DLC, and American Nightmare as a bundle for less 4 bucks, so...) and they could do it again, possibly with several games (Perfect Dark Zero, Mass Effect, Prey, Crysis, Bulletstorm, The Orange Box and a few others would all be ideal choices). But I'm not optimistic.

At least they're moving away from the annoying points system. That's always been a big turnoff for me. 

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Guess the sale didn't start today.

nickr2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nickr2d2
Member since 2007 • 396 Posts
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="thedarklinglord"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

At least they're moving away from the annoying points system. That's always been a big turnoff for me. 

I actually really liked the points system. It made it so that I didn't have to enter a credit card, I could just go to the store, and pick up 1600 points. I hope I can still pick up pre-paid cards at the store.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="thedarklinglord"] Yeah, I'm expecting typical XBox sale prices, which is to say meager discounts that still leave the games so grossly overpriced that it's almost an outright lie to call the event a sale. Like, "Bioshock Infinite was $59.99 but now you can save a whole $10!" Nevermind the fact that you can buy a physical copy for $39.99 and then sell it or trade it for a possible $20 cash or credit. Still, I'm trying to hold onto a sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe, Microsoft will surprise us and do something unexpected, something a little crazy. It would be the smart move. First, I think it'd help generate some good will toward the company - something I believe they still need. Second, it'd be a good way to test the waters and maybe get some feedback on how to improve the XBox Marketplace to make it a more appealing option to those people who typically avoid digital downloads because they can't be sold or traded. And third, even though the 360 and PS3 will be around and, to some extent, still supported for a few more years yet, this generation is mostly coming to an end, and since a lot of people will be moving on to next gen consoles, now seems like an appropriate time to just have a proper blowout on all those older games; since they've already gotten pretty much all the sales they were going to get at $60, then $40, and finally $20, you might as well milk the last few drops by catching all the stragglers who still wouldn't buy them at $20 but, at a super-low discount of just $5 per title, can't pass them up. But, yeah, I doubt we'll see something like that. I mean, it's not entirely unprecedented, since they did have Alan Wake on sale for $5 a couple weeks ago. That shows they're not above getting a little crazy with their sale prices (though, at the time, I believe Steam was selling Alan Wake, the two DLC, and American Nightmare as a bundle for less 4 bucks, so...) and they could do it again, possibly with several games (Perfect Dark Zero, Mass Effect, Prey, Crysis, Bulletstorm, The Orange Box and a few others would all be ideal choices). But I'm not optimistic.nickr2d2

I actually really liked the points system. It made it so that I didn't have to enter a credit card, I could just go to the store, and pick up 1600 points. I hope I can still pick up pre-paid cards at the store.

That wouldn't have any effect on your ability to do that. The PSN has had cards
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thedarklinglord
Well, I'm kinda dumbstruck. I honestly didn't believe Microsoft would bring it, but...those are, for the most part, some fairly aggressive sale prices. It's a shame they didn't find a way to get Far Cry 3 down lower, but Borderlands 2 and Max Payne 3 for $10 each is respectable. And I love that they actually dropped those older titles to $5 and $3. It's still not quite on par with a Steam sale, but it's pretty close and actually way more than I truly expected. Good on Microsoft.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Assassin's Creed 3 for $15

Prey for $3

Far Cry instincts for $5

Any of these worth it?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="thedarklinglord"]Well, I'm kinda dumbstruck. I honestly didn't believe Microsoft would bring it, but...those are, for the most part, some fairly aggressive sale prices. It's a shame they didn't find a way to get Far Cry 3 down lower, but Borderlands 2 and Max Payne 3 for $10 each is respectable. And I love that they actually dropped those older titles to $5 and $3. It's still not quite on par with a Steam sale, but it's pretty close and actually way more than I truly expected. Good on Microsoft.

It's like a real sale, I'm very surprised. A lot of these games should be closer to these prices all the time, especially the older ones like Far Cry Instincts, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc but this is a start.
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thedarklinglord
It's like a real sale, I'm very surprised. A lot of these games should be closer to these prices all the time, especially the older ones like Far Cry Instincts, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc but this is a start.Legolas_Katarn
Right? And I agree, they shouldn't need a special sale to make those older games dirt cheap. It should be as simple as, "These games are 2-3 years old, or older, and I think it's safe to say that anyone who was willing to pay full or even half price for them has since bought them and the games have pretty much made all the money they're going to make, so let's just drop 'em to 5 bucks and milk whatever last few drops we can get from them." Because at $5 or less...well, who wouldn't try the game out? That's why Steam sales work so well; they offer games at such a stupid low discount that even if you're only mildly interested or vaguely curious, even if you may never even play the damn thing, you simply can't think of a reason to pass it up. But, yes, this is definitely a promising start and at least suggests that maybe Microsoft is starting to figure out how to make digital downloads more appealing to a broader audience, but especially to those of us who don't like giving up physical discs (and the ability/right to share, trade and/or sell that game) without a damn good reason, like an uber-cheap price. I'm pleasantly surprised. And I'm now crossing my fingers and daring to hope that The Witcher 2 and Tomb Raider will both be on sale for $10.
Drew1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drew1911
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts

Nice sale. Just picked up Borderlands 2 for 10 bucks. A few of the add ons are on sale for half off too :)

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
I honestly never buy many games but MS has me tempted with these deals here. These are games I would NEVER buy either. It just shows why treating people with a good deal is good for business. Not sure what game I'll buy though. Looking at WWE 13. Maybe Max Payne 3. Was going to sell my 360 when the new consoles come out but if I buy games like this I won't want to sell it.
Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sonny360Elite
Just realized Assassin's Creed 3 is there too!.. I almost wish I never saw this now. Whatever. I'm going to buy Assassin's Creed 3, Brothers In Arms HH, WWE 13. What do you guys think? I was considering Max Payne but I think I'll past. I'd probably rather buy Sleeping Dogs or GTA if I was going to buy a game like that. Max Payne kind of games used to be my favorites though (Dead to Rights). I don't know they seem to have gotten played out to me and either too easy or too frustrating.
Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Don't know about you guys, but these sale prices are sick....just picked up Far Cry 3(20$) and Max Payne 3(10$)....there are other great deals , such as Borderlands 2 for 10$ but I already have it....I was tempted to buy it again just so I could have the digital copy lol, but I had to draw the line there. 

This sale is probably a last ditch attempt to make lots of cash before X1 arrives.....like a liquidation sale, except stock is not an issue. I hope we will see things like this on the X1, but I doubt it.... in its first year anyways. 

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I have a bunch1200 points codes. When MS announced the X1 they gave 10 dollar credits so I bought 4 sets of codes for 5 bucks each. So far I bought boardlands 2 I might get Far Cry 3. Are any of the other games worth getting? For 2.99 I was thinking of Prey and Perfect Dark Zero. I know they weren't great but I had PD at launch and didn't really give it a chance.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
well, I just shot myself in the foot. Picked up Max Payne 3 for ten bucks, and for some reason I picked up Tomb Raider for 30. It only occurred to me that the one day sale might change every day of the week the instant I clicked 'purchase.' I'm definitely going to kick myself when it does show up- likely for ten or fifteen bucks...
Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Don't know about you guys, but these sale prices are sick....just picked up Far Cry 3(20$) and Max Payne 3(10$)....there are other great deals , such as Borderlands 2 for 10$ but I already have it....I was tempted to buy it again just so I could have the digital copy lol, but I had to draw the line there. 

This sale is probably a last ditch attempt to make lots of cash before X1 arrives.....like a liquidation sale, except stock is not an issue. I hope we will see things like this on the X1, but I doubt it.... in its first year anyways. 

Alucard_Prime
I think this is a test. We all know MS were leaning towards a steam type business model before they 180'd on their policies and scrapped it. I think they wanted next gen to be heavily heavily focused on digital downloads. The success of this mega sale is going to show MS just how likely a digital orientated sales are going to work. If they see hundreds of thousands of digital downloads during the mega sale then its going to be a strong indicator that customers are willing to download lots of games if the price is competitive. This is why I hope lots of people really take advantage of this sale. Its shows MS just how important price is when it comes to software. Competitively priced games would easily justify the extra £80 on the price tag of the X1 compared to the PS4.
Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sonny360Elite
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]well, I just shot myself in the foot. Picked up Max Payne 3 for ten bucks, and for some reason I picked up Tomb Raider for 30. It only occurred to me that the one day sale might change every day of the week the instant I clicked 'purchase.' I'm definitely going to kick myself when it does show up- likely for ten or fifteen bucks...

LOL :facepalm:
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]well, I just shot myself in the foot. Picked up Max Payne 3 for ten bucks, and for some reason I picked up Tomb Raider for 30. It only occurred to me that the one day sale might change every day of the week the instant I clicked 'purchase.' I'm definitely going to kick myself when it does show up- likely for ten or fifteen bucks...

LOL :facepalm:

I know, right?
WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WeskerTeam

Are the sales going to change every day? I still see the same stuff from yesterday.

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sonny360Elite

Are the sales going to change every day? I still see the same stuff from yesterday.

WeskerTeam
Some are daily and some are not. They changed the "today only" from yesterday but others are the same. Here's a list: 7/2 ... Day One: Assassins Creed III - 1200 MSP ($15.00) - 63% off - xbldb* Borderlands 2 - 800 MSP ($10.00) - 75% off* FarCry 3 - 1600 MSP ($20.00) - 67% off* Max Payne 3 - 800 MSP ($10.00) - 75% off - xbldb* 7/3 ... Day Two:Hasbro Family Game Night 3 - 800 MSP ($10.00) - 67% off - xbldb Kinect Sports: Season Two - 800 MSP ($10.00) - 67% off - xbldb LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - 800 MSP ($10.00) - 50% off - xbldb LEGO The Lord of the Rings - 1200 MSP ($15.00) - 50% off - xbldb MONOPOLY Streets - 800 MSP ($10.00) - 67% off - xbldb Rockstar Table Tennis - 240 MSP ($3.00) - 80% off - xbldb 7/4 ... Day Three: ??? 7/5 .. Day Four: ??? 7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales: Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 83% off - xbldb* Bulletstorm - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 75% off - xbldb* Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 67% off - xbldb* Crysis - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 75% off - xbldb* Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 83% off - xbldb* Dragon Age: Origins - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 67% off - xbldb* FC Instincts Predator - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 75% off - xbldb Mass Effect - 400 MSP ($5.00) - 67% off - xbldb* Prey - 240 MSP ($3.00) - 85% off - xbldb* Perfect Dark Zero - 240 MSP ($3.00) - 80% off - xbldb* WWE13 - 1200 MSP ($15.00) - 75% off - xbldb* Games to come. Prices not confirmed: Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, Forza Horizon, Gears Judgemen,t Hitman Absolution, Left 4 Dead 2, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence, The Orange Box, Tomb Raider, Witcher 2 X-com: Enemy Unknown
WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WeskerTeam

I'm going to get Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. Very excited to try them. Loving Far Cry 3 right now.

tribalTox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 tribalTox
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

I waiting to see the prices for Forza Horizon, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock Infinite. If they are $20 or less, I'll probably bite.

I did buy Assassins Creed III (which is probably the last AC game I buy) and Divinity 2.

I will admit, some of the sale prices did catch me by surprised. Farcry 3 for 20$ and Borderlands 2 for $10. I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if I did myself a disservice by not getting those 2 games at those price.

thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thedarklinglord
Farcry 3 for 20$ and Borderlands 2 for $10. I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if I did myself a disservice by not getting those 2 games at those price.tribalTox
I'd say no. You can buy a physical disc copy of Far Cry 3 from Best Buy or Amazon for $20 (and then, if you so desired, you could probably sell it to someone for an easy $10, making it ultimately a $10 purchase). And Borderlands 2, while amazingly priced at $10, has all that DLC that, if you enjoy the main game, you'll probably want to play as well. In which case, if you're willing to wait a year or so, we'll probably see a Borderlands 2 Game of the Year edition with all the DLC included that'll likely drop to $20 come next holiday season. That's why I passed on those, anyway.
willsoonbegone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 willsoonbegone
Member since 2003 • 401 Posts

Solid sale so far. I guess most of you don't realize that this is not the first time they've done an Ultimate Game Sale. They had one last year with similarly deep discounts. I personally picked up El Shaddai for $3, The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, and Civilization Revolution for $10 (I actually already owned all of them, just traded in my disc copies for >$10).

shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shairoo11
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

[QUOTE="tribalTox"]Farcry 3 for 20$ and Borderlands 2 for $10. I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if I did myself a disservice by not getting those 2 games at those price.thedarklinglord
I'd say no. You can buy a physical disc copy of Far Cry 3 from Best Buy or Amazon for $20 (and then, if you so desired, you could probably sell it to someone for an easy $10, making it ultimately a $10 purchase). And Borderlands 2, while amazingly priced at $10, has all that DLC that, if you enjoy the main game, you'll probably want to play as well. In which case, if you're willing to wait a year or so, we'll probably see a Borderlands 2 Game of the Year edition with all the DLC included that'll likely drop to $20 come next holiday season. That's why I passed on those, anyway.

I have to agree with you here.

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

I agree with you 100% Ser. Wheres the incentive to get a digital format game when the discs are so much insanely cheaper?! With way more replay-re-sale value then a digital copy. 

I do believe they will flub it hard again. They don't care so much about qty's it seems as they do a high price point. Their philosophy so far has been mark it high and hope it sells, whereas Steams strategy is the exact opposite and is why it is soooo much better.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Anyone know what's going on with BIA Hells Highway? I went to buy it earlier today but it was more expensive on the purchase blade than it was advertised on the main Ultimate Sale page. Weird.
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thedarklinglord
Today's Deals: * The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - $9.99 * Forza Horizon - $14.99 * Left 4 Dead 2 - $9.99 * The Orange Box - $4.99 * Crysis 3 - $19.99 Still no Steam sale, but those are some pretty good sale prices. Again, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vari3ty

Today's Deals: * The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - $9.99 * Forza Horizon - $14.99 * Left 4 Dead 2 - $9.99 * The Orange Box - $4.99 * Crysis 3 - $19.99 Still no Steam sale, but those are some pretty good sale prices. Again, I'm pleasantly surprised.thedarklinglord

Yup, turns out I was wrong. While it's not a huge selection of games the prices are actually pretty good, especially compared with past XBL sales. 

virusts32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 virusts32
Member since 2004 • 46 Posts

This sale goes on for the weekend and it's the last one. And Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot after a great first few days.

Bioshock Infinite $39.99

Tomb Raider $19.99

Gears Judgement $29.99

Metal Gear Rising: Revengence $29.99

Hitman: Absolution $9.99

XCOM: Enemy Unknown $19.99

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

ok ok ok... the orange box is a damn good deal for $4.99. i bought that.

strange that it wasn't on the list that i saw though...

thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thedarklinglord
Well, the sale started off far better than I expected, but then Microsoft drops a giant turd on our plate for the final day. Ugh. The only appropriately priced title is Hitman Absolution, but I'm so disgusted with the rest that I just don't care to give Microsoft any more of my money. (Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution were both originally going for $29.99, both originally released roughly around the same time, but they didn't both get discounted the same amount? What the f*ck is that about? Same goes for Bioshock Infinite and Gears of War: Judgment.) I swear, I'm starting to feel like I'm going through battered spouse syndrome with Microsoft. They promise they'll change, even show signs that maybe this time they really mean it, and I get suckered back in to trusting them and feeling optimistic and then - BAM! Next thing I know, I've got a black eye, a bloody nose and tears streaming down my face as they cram a beer bottle into my rectum. At least I know I can run to the safe and loving arms of Steam to make everything all better.
Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sonny360Elite
I think we can all thank the guy who bought Tomb Raider for $30 around 2 days ago. They probably saw that and decided to only sell it for $20. Just kidding. I have to admit the final day really shocked me. I thought the most they would charge for a game was $20. Good thing Hitman was only $10 though. The $30 price tags came as a real surprise to me. Disappointed.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 El_Zo1212o

This sale goes on for the weekend and it's the last one. And Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot after a great first few days.

Bioshock Infinite $39.99

Tomb Raider $19.99

Gears Judgement $29.99

Metal Gear Rising: Revengence $29.99

Hitman: Absolution $9.99

XCOM: Enemy Unknown $19.99

virusts32
Well, at least I only bought myself out of ten bucks(I figured it would have been 15). But adding to that that it turns out I kinda hate Max Payne 3, feels like I got a big fat strike on two purchases so far...
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"]I think we can all thank the guy who bought Tomb Raider for $30 around 2 days ago. They probably saw that and decided to only sell it for $20. Just kidding.

F*ck you. :P
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thedarklinglord
I have to admit the final day really shocked me. I thought the most they would charge for a game was $20. Good thing Hitman was only $10 though. The $30 price tags came as a real surprise to me. Disappointed.Sonny360Elite
I imagine it's either a case of simple greed dictating the prices - an attitude of "Well, sales were really good at those prices, so let's see if we can't squeeze them for more!" - or this sale has just been an experiment, with Microsoft trying to gauge where consumers draw the line or what they consider a good enough deal when it comes to digital downloads. Sadly, I suspect it's just greed. The prices should've been: Bioshock Infinite - $19.99 Tomb Raider - $9.99 Gears of War: Judgment - $19.99 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - $19.99 Hitman Absolution - $9.99 XCOM: Enemy Unknown - $14.99 Because if it's not a substantial discount, like 66% off or better, then it's really not much of a sale. And it certainly doesn't encourage me to buy a digital copy that I can't share/trade/sale. And that is why Microsoft got their ass handed to them by the community. If they aren't going to make good on the promises of digital downloads - you know, the whole, "We don't have to pay create a physical object and then pay to ship it all over the world, only to then have it marked up by retailers so they can make a profit too, so we can pass substantial savings onto you, the consumer, by cutting out all those unnecessary, and for digital content, non-existent expenses." - then why the f*ck would anyone support them? On the other hand, had Microsoft come out and said, "Yeah, you'll need to ping an online server every 24 hours, but that's only for your disc-based games. But who wants disc-based games? We'll be selling new releases, Day 1 Digital, for $40. And after 6 months, we're dropping the price to $20. After a year? Just $9.99 per game. Of course, we'll also have some pretty crazy sales through the year, where you'll be able to get games for even less than 10 bucks a pop. Or you can continue to pay inflated costs for physical copies and deal with the headaches and hassles of needing an almost always-on connection. Choice is yours." I think the community would've rallied around that. Or, at the very least, felt that was a fair compromise. It wouldn't have resolved all the problem with the XB1, but it would've shown at least a measure of consumer friendliness. (That'd also be an ideal way for publishers/developers to cut into the used games market. How is Gamestop going to compete with Day 1 Digital for $40? They can't. And how can people who pretty much live on used games complain with that pricing structure? Again, they can't.) But, yeah, it's really disheartening to see the sale end this way, because it kinda makes me resent giving them any money, even on the better deals. And that's a petty attitude, because I still got some great games at good prices, but this last day pricing just leaves me with a really nasty aftertaste. And when it's the very last part of an experience, that's what sticks out most prominently and colors the whole affair.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
It's really sad that this is what Microsoft considers to be an "Ultimate" game sale. I only bought Brothers in Arms. Disappointed.