"cover system" is cheap and unrealistic on GOW, R6Vegas, Ghost

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts

i thnk cover system on these FPS is really a cheap new way for ppl who like to camp. It's nifty for a single player campaign, but when it's become a problem in multi play is just bad 'cause in real life u cant not see who's coming when your back is agaist the wall, your view shouldnt be able to swift around and see who's popping up from the other side while u are hiding....................overall it's cheap and get rid of it or make it more realistic

eltonf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 eltonf
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

i thnk cover system on these FPS is really a cheap new way for ppl who like to camp. It's nifty for a single player campaign, but when it's become a problem in multi play is just bad 'cause in real life u cant not see who's coming when your back is agaist the wall, your view shouldnt be able to swift around and see who's popping up from the other side while u are hiding....................overall it's cheap and get rid of it or make it more realistic

sunnystarz

I like the cover system because it adds a lot of realism and strategy.  I do agree that players shouldn't be able to see beyond cover when their hiding though. That's very unrealistic.
ronniexie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ronniexie
Member since 2006 • 307 Posts
they can peek....
id liek to see a first person guy with a cover system out soon.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
These cover systems, especially in Vegas, do an excellent job of balancing between realism and fun gameplay.  It adds a level of tactical play not found in your typical run-n-gun shooters.  Vegas does it best of the 3 you mentioned.

Camping?  If you mean waiting and watching, I don't see how that's not a valid tactic.  If you want realism, this is what happens in real life.

Spawn camping is an other animal altogether.
dalriders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dalriders
Member since 2004 • 2062 Posts
some people take games too seriously...fisrst off no one said it was realistsic, and second if its fun and all the games u mentioned are fun, then i dont care if its realistic or not
blue-fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 blue-fish
Member since 2003 • 1389 Posts
I'd have to agree for Vegas if not Gears.  If your view was restricted when pressed against cover I think it would force you to rely more on team members feeding you info or in the case of GRAW, a real use for that cross-com, picture in picture thing.  But Gears it works just fine I think.
sickmillatime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sickmillatime
Member since 2006 • 442 Posts

i thnk cover system on these FPS is really a cheap new way for ppl who like to camp. It's nifty for a single player campaign, but when it's become a problem in multi play is just bad 'cause in real life u cant not see who's coming when your back is agaist the wall, your view shouldnt be able to swift around and see who's popping up from the other side while u are hiding....................overall it's cheap and get rid of it or make it more realistic

sunnystarz

Gears is not a FPS, Halo is a FPS, and they are not even close to the same game.

Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts

Oh, yes........it's very unrealistic.  There's not an army on the entire planet that uses cover during combat when it's available....:roll:

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts

i thnk cover system on these FPS is really a cheap new way for ppl who like to camp. It's nifty for a single player campaign, but when it's become a problem in multi play is just bad 'cause in real life u cant not see who's coming when your back is agaist the wall, your view shouldnt be able to swift around and see who's popping up from the other side while u are hiding....................overall it's cheap and get rid of it or make it more realistic

sunnystarz
fine, you go to war without cover... see what reality does to you..... think buddy. if you don't like it, play the thousands of games without a cover system.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Yes because standing behind of a rock on GRAW and being able to see in front of it was really fair.................
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

Its not cheap so quite whining.

EarthShakeNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EarthShakeNews
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts
Yes because standing behind of a rock on GRAW and being able to see in front of it was really fair.................V4LENT1NE

yes it is. A skilled player could easy spot where the fire was coming from either get behind another rock for cover, Return fire or
 flank the guy behind the rock.
EarthShakeNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EarthShakeNews

Oh, yes........it's very unrealistic. There's not an army on the entire planet that uses cover during combat when it's available....:roll:

Creeping_Wolf

yes but not that cover "system" How can a real Soldier see what was beyond that wall if his back is pressed up agianst it?
xxmystakalxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xxmystakalxx
Member since 2005 • 505 Posts
very funny to know you would stand in the open instead of taking cover in real life.
EarthShakeNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EarthShakeNews
very funny to know you would stand in the open instead of taking cover in real life. xxmystakalxx
You can take cover in all shooters its called Leaning You know before Gears and Vegas?
Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts

very funny to know you would stand in the open instead of taking cover in real life. xxmystakalxx

umm, how did you get fulgore as a gamerpic?

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 V4LENT1NE
[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]Yes because standing behind of a rock on GRAW and being able to see in front of it was really fair.................EarthShakeNews

yes it is. A skilled player could easy spot where the fire was coming from either get behind another rock for cover, Return fire or

That isnt the point, the cover system just wasnt fleshed out, and some parts of some levels were a little unbalanced, where people could simply stand behind of huge rocks and still see everything, anyone running past couldnt see a thing, R6V fixed that and at least gave you the chance to get a good tactic going. GRAW was very tactical and pretty good but the multiplayer to me could have been better designed with more systems in place e.g.full cover system and wall pressing.
EarthShakeNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EarthShakeNews
[QUOTE="EarthShakeNews"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]Yes because standing behind of a rock on GRAW and being able to see in front of it was really fair.................V4LENT1NE

That isnt the point, the cover system just wasnt fleshed out, and some parts of some levels were a little unbalanced, where people could simply stand behind of huge rocks and still see everything, anyone running past couldnt see a thing, R6V fixed that and at least gave you the chance to get a good tactic going. GRAW was very tactical and pretty good but the multiplayer to me could have been better designed with more systems in place e.g.full cover system and wall pressing.

do you not see how restricting that would be in Graw ?

Press a button to get into cover and press a button to get out of cover........

Too much of a hassle when you can take cover more naturally by just getting close to a wall or a low wall and just crouch.

and that part about not seeing your enemy it's call using Stealth and the environment and camo to your advantage.

It is much better then the flimsy cover system everyone is brainwashed into loving. ^^^

There are parts in graw MP maps where I can go prone in the tall grass with camo and everything.

With a M4 SD taking out everyone. but there are ways around that. use the enviroment.

high ground >>> Low ground

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 V4LENT1NE
Brainwashed into loving.................wow dude, its a freakin game. If I didnt like it I wouldnt, but I like cover systems and think it would fit very well into multi just like it did single, thats just my opinion.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#21 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
I love the cover system.. because you would want to hide behind a few things if it was real life...
EarthShakeNews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EarthShakeNews
I love the cover system.. because you would want to hide behind a few things if it was real life...kozzy1234
You can hide behind a few things without the cover system you know. Leaning.
ChronicBlade9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChronicBlade9
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts

sunnystarz

You say that the cover is unrealistic? How about the aliens that lived underground on a planet that humans don't even live on ravaging the planet with human like intelligence?  It's a frackin game.
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sunnystarz
i agree with you guys 100% on the facts that a real soldiers would take cover wherever is possible..but i'm just saying that in these games they take it too far by letting u see what beyond what a human being could see if you were taking cover....i remember playing COD2 and got on a prone (on the ground) position to avoid enemies fire not knowing where the enemy shot was coming from ... i think that's more realistic
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sunnystarz
u know what, my bad for bringing up GOW, let's concentrated on "tactical" shooting game ---> R6vegas, Ghost
wiganath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiganath
Member since 2004 • 433 Posts
some people take games too seriously...first off no one said it was realistsic, and second if its fun and all the games u mentioned are fun, then i dont care if its realistic or notdalriders

Agreed.
marinebro0306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 marinebro0306
Member since 2005 • 1098 Posts

sunnystarz
Of all the unrealistic things in Gears (Hammer, Locusts, Frag tagging, Cole Train's awesomeness, etc...), you pick the cover system...
Hcg4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hcg4life
Member since 2007 • 233 Posts
[QUOTE="sunnystarz"]

marinebro0306
Of all the unrealistic things in Gears (Hammer, Locusts, Frag tagging, Cole Train's awesomeness, etc...), you pick the cover system...

Yea now kidding and also IT"S A VIDEO GAME they where made to entertain us we dont need them like real real......
white45e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 white45e
Member since 2006 • 2453 Posts
 its a video game ............................................
SpYdEr124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpYdEr124
Member since 2003 • 151 Posts
The cover system is awesome in Vegas. Even though I've been subject to the so called "unfair" use of cover in the game, I wouldn't change the way cover is used. Its part of the game, if you don't like it don't play it. If you run around every corner your gonna get taken out. You have to be much more tactical if your rushing. Using frags, flashes, gas to clear out rooms is a "safe" tactic. You could still camp even if you couldn't see around the wall. I love the fact that you can. Its awesome to still see whats going on while your reloading behind a knocked over table, so you can be ready for the enemy.
kyle_toker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kyle_toker
Member since 2004 • 4950 Posts

sunnystarz
LOL how is it unrealistic... so you're telling me if you were running around in a building with people that had guns you wouldnt take cover, you would just run around and die
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
[QUOTE="marinebro0306"]Of all the unrealistic things in Gears (Hammer, Locusts, Frag tagging, Cole Train's awesomeness, etc...), you pick the cover system...Hcg4life
Yea now kidding and also IT"S A VIDEO GAME they where made to entertain us we dont need them like real real......

that's what i was thinking. Maybe his neighbor Bob is a locust so he's used to seeing them though. :)
SpYdEr124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpYdEr124
Member since 2003 • 151 Posts
Hes just saying the way you can see around the wall is unrealistic. Everyone would take cover, but while your under that cover you would be looking straight ahead and couldn't see behind the wall your leaning up against.
Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts

I can see where you're coming from as far as the Tom Clancy games are concerned. But don't complain about realism in Gears of War. If you are upset by lack or realism you shouldn't even be playing it. Anyways......

In Gears of War it takes pretty much a full cip of ammo to bring someone down anyways. Thats plenty of time to roll to cover should someone pop out from behind a wall and blast you. (Unless it's a shotgun. Then.... tough luck) But you should know if someone is behind cover anyways, the characters are so bulky they tend to spill over the sides and poke out over the top when crouched behind cover.

GRAW sucks online

In R6: Vegas the person behind cover can be just as easily killed as the person ou tin the open, if the person in the open has good reaction time, or knows they are there. If they know, they can just huck a grenade in and BOOM problem solved. If they are running down a corridor and someone pops out from behind a crate then depending on the guns being used, and the distance, that conflict can go either way. I've been killed behind cover and killed people behind cover many times.

As far as the "unrealism" of being able to see around the cover with the 3rd person camera...... grow up and stop yer belly achin.

Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts
actually soldiers in real life can see arounda  corner if they are using that corner shot weapon...(watch Future Weapons on discovery channel). granted they may not be able to see everything but they can see and shoot around a corner without exposing themselves. so its really not that unrealistic. the only unrealistic thung would be the plane of view...
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tgschmidt
actually soldiers in real life can see arounda corner if they are using that corner shot weapon...(watch Future Weapons on discovery channel). granted they may not be able to see everything but they can see and shoot around a corner without exposing themselves. so its really not that unrealistic. the only unrealistic thung would be the plane of view...dragonslayerssj
or the 8 foot tall monsters coming out of the ground...
TheTrueEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheTrueEdge
Member since 2006 • 1019 Posts
Newsflash: Games don't have to be realistic, but fun.

It's fun this way. How crap would it be if you couldn't see forward when taking cover? The game would pretty much suck if that was the case.
bobby1690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bobby1690
Member since 2006 • 335 Posts
g.r.a.w 2 multi wont have cover :D
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
It is reverse realistic. You can see what you are not suppost to see, but you can't see what you are suppose to see. In any case, you will have blind spot.magicalclick
Haha right, because someone can now sneak up from in front of you!
The_SandRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_SandRock
Member since 2004 • 1946 Posts

The Tom Clancy games take place a few years in the future, so they would have more advanced tech than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Warrior

So the cover system isn't that unrealistic

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sunnystarz
[QUOTE="sunnystarz"]

kyle_toker
LOL how is it unrealistic... so you're telling me if you were running around in a building with people that had guns you wouldnt take cover, you would just run around and die

are u guys even reading to what i'm saying? i believe in covering yourself from fire, did u just read the first line and post your commetn?
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tgschmidt
[QUOTE="kyle_toker"][QUOTE="sunnystarz"]

sunnystarz

are u guys even reading to what i'm saying? i believe in covering yourself from fire, did u just read the first line and post your commetn?

read the whole thing. you want realistic, join the army. problem solved
crazygamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 crazygamer1
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts
I agree that games don't pull off the realism factor when it comes to cover but hey, the "Suprise ***********!!!" factor is still fully intact. Even if someone sees you when they're not actually peeking around the corner they still have to react to what you do. So if you run around the corner and stick a shotgun in the dudes face, sure he may've been hiding and saw you from around the corner but now he has to react to your actions, so now it's more like "Peek-a- BooM *****!"  It's why we play games, they're not real, we want to escape reality for a while. If I want realism I'll go paintballin' with some friends.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
if they're camping, you have to outsmart them. With those type of games, it's all about strategy.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
honestly i don't care too much about realism, that's not why i play games, i play them for fun. Real life has all the realism i need.
kambion313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kambion313
Member since 2006 • 712 Posts

sunnystarz

urg....whatever, its a game mechanic, if oyu dont like it, dont buy games with it....i think its fun

jking0011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jking0011
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
if you guys seen any of the new vidoes for killzone 2 its first person even when ur leaning behind cover, it looks sick
redsox4life08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 redsox4life08
Member since 2008 • 226 Posts

If everybody has the same advantage, then how is it cheap?

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts
i like the cover systems
SpaceMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SpaceMatt
Member since 2003 • 3588 Posts

How realistic would the TC expect a third person game to be anyway? I mean, I assume most posters on the forum don't get an over-the-shoulder view of their own bodies...

Besides, the fact that when in cover you can see around corners is cancelled out by the fact that by default you can't see things approaching from the "rear" (i.e. from the player towards the screen) direction, making them extra-vulnerable to flanking. As in real life, out-maneuver your opponent or be smashed.