PC Gaming & The 360's Controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

koolmankris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 koolmankris
Member since 2004 • 355 Posts

I've been looking all over the place, but no matter where I go, mosst information seems very vague and unspecific. I already have a couple of wireless 360 controllers. Today, I bought a 3rd (also wireless) controller, as well as a play & charge kit (which has a rechargeable battery pack and the USB charger-cable). I'm aware that I can plug it into pretty much anything with a USB port, as long as the power is on...After realizing this, I plugged into my PC. As expected, the battery started charging normally. But I also got a notification that said new hardware was connected to a USB port. It failed to install the new hardware at first, and said I needed to find the proper driver. So I downloaded it and installed the driver and finished. This installed the 360 Accessory Status which showed any connections. While my PC definitely detected the new controller, it doesn't really do anything else. However, for some reason, my list of hardware still says 360 Wireless Controller Via Play & Charge Kit, and that the device and driver is set up.

Herein lies my question...I DO realize that with an ordinary wired 360 controller (and with the proper software/driver) it's possible (and quite simple) to play PC games using a 360 controller...But I also read that wireless controllers work with PC games too, as long as a wireless receiver is installed on the PC...This is where I'm running into some confusion. I already have the controller connected to my PC via the Play & Charge kit. Since my PC at least acknowledges this connection, then, theoretically, can't I just play like this, without buying a wireless receiver? I can see the receiver being necessary if I planned on using more than 1 controller at once, such as when I'm playing certain games with other people (ex: emulated games and such). But since I usually play alone, is there some way I can do this without buying the receiver? The reason I ask is because once you plug the USB charger cable into a wireless controller, it basically becomes an ordinary wired controller, which doesn't need a receiver. Or maybe there's a lot more to this than I thought, and the wireless controllers are fairly different from the wired controllers.

If anybody knows anything about this, I'd love to hear what you all have to say. And keep in mind, I DID look all over the microsoft and xbox sites, but I couldn't find anything that really confirmed this one way or the other.

koolmankris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 koolmankris
Member since 2004 • 355 Posts
bump
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
I wanted to do the same thing but it seems you cant.
loganr426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 loganr426
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
I believe Microsoft intentionally prevented the use of wired controllers being able to work on the PC via the play and charge kit just so people would have to buy the adapter. I tried everything i could think of but there's just no getting it to work. However I did manage to get my Xplorer guitar controller to work on my PC for the Frets of Fire game, so I don't know what Microsofts problem is about the wireless controllers...
jvillaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jvillaro
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

The wireless controls are only meant to be used wirelessly, even when conected via play and charge to the xbox the communicate wirellessly. At first I had the same doubt, when I connect it to me pc's the "install" and it does transfer data while connected but it would be more of shutting it on and off (the charging of the batteres).
Aparently it has to do with the fact that to make the circuits to work both wired and wirelessly would make it more complex and expensive. So the only option in your case would be to have the wireless adapter, wich I find worth it.

KwasiAsiedu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KwasiAsiedu
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts

If I understand you correctly, you want to use your 360 controllers to play games on your PC. If that is the case, you can't use a standard 360 controller as far as I know. There are actually specific 360 controller that are PC enabled. They look exactly the same as the standard 360 controllers. They are called "Xbox 360 Common controller" also made by Microsoft, I actually bought one recently. The version I got was the wired version which came with a PC installation cd.

I believe there is a wireless version that comes with a specific receiver. I am sure that the wireless version works the same as any wireless 360 controller, so there will be no need for the receiver when being used with the 360.

My wired 360 Common controller worked fine with my PC when I tried it today. I simply used the installation cd first and then connected the controller to PC via usb. XP detected it the same why it would any usb device. Initially it took a while for the controller to appear on my PC version of Madden, but on restarting Madden the controller was there. The installation cd did a good job as I thought I would have to manually map each button for Madden but the configuration was the same as my Logitech Dual stick controller. The letters (and LB,RB - shoulder buttons) of the buttons even appeared on my wide receivers heads after the snap rather than numbers usually found with PC gamepads.

I think that Microsoft initially thought that there would be a need for their 360 controllers to be used on PCs. So I think it was an after thought . So probably if you are going to buy another 360 controller look out for the "Common" versions as they work for both systems and I think they are around the same price as the standard ones. The link below is the version I bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Common-Controller-PC/dp/B000BK4C80/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1215034591&sr=1-11

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts

ok let me set you guys strait

1. yes you can use regular wireless 360 controllers for the PC, you will need the PC wireless reciver for it to work though which costs 20 bucks.

2. the reason you cant just use the Play and Charge kit is because even when it is plugged in the controller is still wireless. The cable is only there to charge the battery. it does not make the wireless controller wierd

3. Every 360 controller will work with the PC whether its wierd or not. you do not need to buy a controller thats labeled for use with PC. you just need to make sure that you have the correct drivers or in the case of the wireless controller the reciver

Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts

I've tried the same thing before but MS are money-stealing scoungers and won't just let you use the play and charge kit. You have to either buy a wired pad or a wireless receiver.

EDIT: don't but the "PC-enabled controllers" that shops are trying to push for more money. Instead, just download the drivers off the internet for free (which you already did).

Revimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Revimitar
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Ok I realise this is a bit of a threadres, but I have a similar but not quite the same problem.

I plugged in my wireless controller by the play and charge kit. It installed a driver under the microsoft common controllers class titled "Xbox 360 Wireless Controller via Play & Charge kit" Yet when I turn the controller on it flashes endlessly... OR is this the same problem OP had?

p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts
im just using my friends wired controller for pc he got rrod
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
Only the wired controllers work, works with fifa 08, Crysis and many other pc games.
Blastsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blastsmoke
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
actually there is a way to do it but it would take a very skilled scripter and a long time i have gotten my to work with street fighter 4 but no other games but this may be because i have windows 7 see what i did was go into the driver settings and change my x value to 19 instead of 14 and my usb connection from false to true saved it but when i use my controller on pc my start buttons dont work they only work for xbox i this was a fluke i dont know how i got lucky just seeing if this helped any also i dont have a regular charge and play kit i have a offbrand maybe thats why
Khaqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Khaqi
Well! Let me conclude all of this discussion. The play and charge kit is mainly used for charging up the batteries no matter whether it is connected to XBOX 360 or the PC. On XBOX 360 one added advantage is that you can play the games as well while your batteries are being charged up. But on PC this feature doesn't work because of the limitations of circuitry. So to play games on PC you need a wireless receiver to establish proper communication between the PC and Controller. Instead you can also use a separate wired controller. These controllers are general and not meant to be specifically designed for either of the machines.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Long story short is that the play n charge kit only charges and nothing else. When you plug it into your 360 the controller does not become wired all of the sudden it is simply charging while still communicating wireless. Its the same thing when you plug it into a PC. Yes it will recognize the play and charge kit because its a usb device but the controller is still wireless only and cannot communicate with the pc over the cable.

this is why you need the wireless receiver because it allows you PC to communicate with the controller in the only way possible. I repeat there is no way to make your controller work through through the play n charge kit.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
WOW how many times has this been bumped over the years? :lol:
Khaqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Khaqi
Well! I agree with Gen007.... This is the most comprehensive and brief comment. Thanks for correction since I added a wrong comment about xbox 360 case.... Wireless controller always requires a wireless receiver for communication wherever you are connecting it. Plug and Charge kit will not make it wired.....
Hvac0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hvac0120
Member since 2004 • 2038 Posts

This was a frustrating issue. I also tried the play n charge kit with no success and was left confused. It seems to me that Microsoft could do something to double the usage of the play n charge kit, but at least they offer a different solution. I don't like that you have to pay additional cash, but at least it's fairly cheap (~$20). The Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows is the way to go. I've heard a mix of successes and failures with the generics, so buy those at your own risk. Microsoft has provided some information about the reciever here → http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/forum_faq/f/250/t/24449.aspx

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I have a wired xbox360 controller that I use for my xbox360 (along with a few wireless ones and charge n play packs)....

The WIRED xbox360 one works perfectly fine on my PC with my PC games.

The wireless/play n charge ones WILL NOT work. You can buy an adaptor though if you really wanan use the wireless one.

I would just go buy a WIRED xbox360 controller, all you gotta do is plug it into the USB of your comp and it works flawless.

WIRED 360 controllers = WORK RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX

WIRELESS 360 controllers DONT WORK, even if you have the plug n play kit... YOU WILL NEED AN ADAPTOR IF YOU WANT TO USE THE WIRELESS ONES.

THESE ONES BELOW WORK RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX THE SECOND YOU PLUG THEM IN

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B000B6MLTQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1322781039&sr=1-2

http://www.ebgames.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-controller/40646?ref=recpdp&cross=900627

^^ This is the kind that works right away the second you plug it into your computer.

If you dont want to buy a wired controller then buy this adaptor here and your wireless ones will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I've tried the same thing before but MS are money-stealing scoungers and won't just let you use the play and charge kit. You have to either buy a wired pad or a wireless receiver.

Quintinius

It's the way the controller is designed, it has nothing to do with whatever you're ranting about there

mick50008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mick50008
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
every forum i see has the majority of ppl saying that the play and charge kit doesn't make it wired, it just merely charges the batteries and allows you to play at the same time. How come then i can completely remove the battery pack and play with the just the play and charge kit plugged into the 360??? clearly it is working as a wired device otherwise it would need batteries to turn it on!!!???
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

every forum i see has the majority of ppl saying that the play and charge kit doesn't make it wired, it just merely charges the batteries and allows you to play at the same time. How come then i can completely remove the battery pack and play with the just the play and charge kit plugged into the 360??? clearly it is working as a wired device otherwise it would need batteries to turn it on!!!??? mick50008

wrong. the cord just just provides power to the controller. How hard is that to understand? It communicates wireless at all times and the controller still works if you take the batt pack out because its well powering the controller. If you pull the plug out what happens?