Open NAT Problems...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spankyqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spankyqwerty
Member since 2004 • 126 Posts

Hey everyone, just got myself a 360, and have been trying to get my NAT to Open (from Moderate). Im no networking slouch, but for the life of me i cant get an open NAT. Im using a Linksys WRT54GS flashed with the DD-WRT firmware, and am connecting to it wirelessly with my 360. I have assigned my console a static IP (outside of the DHCP range) and then tried every combination of port forwarding, UPnP and DMZ settings but still with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what else i can try?

Just to add a side note there is no chance of running a wire, as it would have to cross the whole house = not an option!

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts

Hey everyone, just got myself a 360, and have been trying to get my NAT to Open (from Moderate). Im no networking slouch, but for the life of me i cant get an open NAT. Im using a Linksys WRT54GS flashed with the DD-WRT firmware, and am connecting to it wirelessly with my 360. I have assigned my console a static IP (outside of the DHCP range) and then tried every combination of port forwarding, UPnP and DMZ settings but still with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what else i can try?

Just to add a side note there is no chance of running a wire, as it would have to cross the whole house = not an option!

Spankyqwerty

I have the same issue as you. Though it's harder for me to fix it 'cause I live in Kuwait (where the Internet connection's pretty low quality unless you've got a lot of $$$), and my connection's already wired as it is, so there's not much I can do about it.

From what I know, the only way to improve your NAT would be to buy a new router (advice as to which can be found on Xbox.com), or to maybe switch to a wired connection by getting a really long ethernet cable (don't know if they sell them in the U.S. though, or where). But yeah, your best bet is to get a new router. There are also ways to adjust the settings of your current router to better fit your 360, but I'm not sure how.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

putting you xbox ip into the DMZ should give you an open nat. Are you sure you applied the settings correctly.
And if you forwarded port 3074 TCP & UDP that too should give an open NAT.

If both of those failed, which from your post they have. Id be inclined to go back to an earlier firmware version and retry.

Sure you can get a modem/router thats on the xbox.com list but they are only ones they have tested. Not meaning you NEED one.

hell im wireless to my Access Point, which acts as a DHCP relay for the modem, DMZ and still have open NAT.

so if your wireless directly, and DMZ'd, there shouldnt be an issue.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

try this guide

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54GS/Xbox_Live_360.htm

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba32555a6c71
deactivated-5ba32555a6c71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5ba32555a6c71
Member since 2005 • 325 Posts
are you using a third party "wireless gaming adapter"? or the official xbox one? cause i have a few friends who had trobule getting an open nat with the third party "wireless gaming adapters". also just to be sure have you tried reseting your router\modem(unplugging them for 30-60 seconds)?
Spankyqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spankyqwerty
Yeah forwarded the right ports: 3074 and 88. And im also using the official wireless adapter. Might just have to try rolling back the firmware on the router, thanks for the suggestions guys.
Spankyqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spankyqwerty
Ok just on the website for the firmware im using and found a thread that explained how to get Open NAT. Apparently it wont ever work if you set a static IP (silly me for over thinking the situation and setting a static IP straight away) and you just have to set everything to automatic, and make sure UPnP is enabled!! Cheers for everyones help!
cem1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cem1391
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

Ok just on the website for the firmware im using and found a thread that explained how to get Open NAT. Apparently it wont ever work if you set a static IP (silly me for over thinking the situation and setting a static IP straight away) and you just have to set everything to automatic, and make sure UPnP is enabled!! Cheers for everyones help!Spankyqwerty

What website did you find this at?

Spankyqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spankyqwerty

From here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23266

Champ721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Champ721
Member since 2005 • 1978 Posts
Sorry to break it to you, but you probably wont' be able to get it to work. I have the same problem with a Linksys adapter in that it's always on moderate. I've tried EVERYTHING and nothing will get that NAT to Open. I spent 4 hours trying every stupid suggestion on the internet with different variables. Nothing worked. And I live in the US, just for reference. This very well may not be the case with you, and I hope it isn't, but you might not ever be able to get it to open unless you have Xbox's official router. I think that's the case with me, anyway.
cmichael16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cmichael16
Member since 2002 • 467 Posts

how does a static IP matter when it comes to port forwards?  Im a network engineer, I have everything in my house with a static IP... I also run DD-WRT on my router...

anyhow... are youall using DSL or Cable... if its DSL are oyou using the PPPoE setting sin the router or just letting the modem do it all, if you are letting the modem do it, you are double natting, and thus the problem...if you are on cable then there is some setting messed up in the router I fear.

pitmans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pitmans
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

ive got the WRT54GR and i have the same problem, think it is just that range or routers, they are cheap and impossible to configure.

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

I had a version 1.0 of the Linksys WRT-54G. I would have problems keeping an open NAT with that thing. That router died after many years of use and I bought a new one. I've never had a problem with it. So, if you keep having problems, it might just be easier to buy a new router.

Also, do you get an open NAT when connecting the 360 directly to your modem? I've heard of rare instances where a person's ISP causes NAT problems.