Old xbox 360 without hdmi port to hook up to a first time hdtv

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for BKLoungeBouncer
BKLoungeBouncer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BKLoungeBouncer
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I was looking at the HDMI cable from Microsoft and found out that since my 360 doesn't have an HDMI port I couldn't use it directly with it..how would I go about hooking it up to the new hdtv, this will be my first one.
Senor_T_Dub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Senor_T_Dub
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts
Without an HDMI port the best you can do is use the composite cables that came with it. Do you have the pro or core edition?
BKLoungeBouncer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BKLoungeBouncer
The core, I was towards the end of the line on launch day : (
BKLoungeBouncer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BKLoungeBouncer
I'm just curious as to whether there is a converter of some kind I can get to where I can use the hdmi cables or anything of that nature.
Senor_T_Dub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Senor_T_Dub
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts
The core edition only came with regular audio/video cables right? I think the best you can do is buy the composite cables it will run in high def but not full 1080p. I am in the same boat, PS3 has HDMI, 360 nope. It looks good though with composite so I don't really care. As for an adapter, to my knowledge nothing exists that will do what you want, though I may be wrong.
Jujurimoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Jujurimoo
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts

actually the best thing you could get would be vga cables, if your hdtv doesnt run at only base 720p

we got a 720p samsung and component looked ok but there was a horrible delay between controller input and what showed on screen

most games were ok to play except twitch games like halo

soooooo i got vga cables, and everything is perfect now, plus the graphics look better than composite

dreadedred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dreadedred19
Member since 2007 • 1279 Posts
that is a good question, i would also like it answered, i have a pro and i am getting an hdtv soon, i got my 360 on boxing day 06. thanks, sorry for stealing your topic, i am interested as well. :)
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

The core edition only came with regular audio/video cables right? I think the best you can do is buy the composite cables it will run in high def but not full 1080p. I am in the same boat, PS3 has HDMI, 360 nope. It looks good though with composite so I don't really care. As for an adapter, to my knowledge nothing exists that will do what you want, though I may be wrong.Senor_T_Dub

You mean component cables there, composite are the Yellow, Red and White cables, which will only give you SD.

Plus component can output 1080p, except for HD-DVD, which is limited to 1080i I think -- otherwise, if your TV has a VGA input, you could buy the VGA cable.

BKLoungeBouncer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BKLoungeBouncer

To be honest I'm not that tech savvy yet, I looked at the specs for a bunch of different TVs but none of them sad VGA on connectivity..would that be any of these..

ConnectorsAV 1: (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging), Audio L/R in, CVBS in, S-Video, YPbPr

AV 2: Audio L/R in, CVBS

AV 3: (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging), Audio L/R in, YPbPr

AV 4: HDMI, Audio L/R in

AV 5: HDMI

AV 6: HDMI

Front / Side connections: Audio L/R in, CVBS in, Headphone out, S-video in, USB

Other connections: Monitor out L/R (Cinch), S/PDIF in (coaxial), S/PDIF out (coaxial) HDMI3

L183R470R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 L183R470R
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts

i would go component or vga (different people have had different results depending on the tv)

If your tv has a vga connection it will it will probably call it a PC connection. Its easy to spot, it the (almost) rectangular blue input with a lot of little holes in it

ukman2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ukman2003
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi there!!

I was just wondering if someone could answer my question about component cables.  Alas my Xbox 360 is older so it has no HDMI port.  I was wondering if I simply used component cables would it give me the same resolution as say playing Fallout 3 that a HDMI cable would playing the game.

Thanks in advance.

odom1846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 odom1846
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Component will only get you 1080i at most which is comparable to 720p. You want 1080p for sure to get the most out of it. So far the only thing I have found that claims to produce 1080p for the XBOX 360 without the HDMI port is a device made by XMC. http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_1080p_hdmi_cable_for_360_1st_gen_console.htm

swaj123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 swaj123
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts
before getting carried away with 1080p vs 720p, find out if your tv does 1080p or not! for starters, how big is it? What's the model? etc. A lot of HDTVs under 42" only do 720p and games look amazing in 720p anyway. Hell, high def tv only broadcasts in 720p for that matter. It's not necessary to have an hdmi output to be able to play games in high def. Mine has an HDMI output but there's no point in using it since I have a 32" 720p tv. I've tried hdmi and component in this setup and they look identical. Remember, the wire just transmits information, it doesn't create or display the picture.
wikkiwild1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 wikkiwild1
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts
You will have to settle for the composite cables. This still should give you up to 1080p if you hdtv supports 1080p, if not then you get what ever your hdtv gives you.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

To be honest I'm not that tech savvy yet, I looked at the specs for a bunch of different TVs but none of them sad VGA on connectivity..would that be any of these..

ConnectorsAV 1: (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging), Audio L/R in, CVBS in, S-Video, YPbPr

AV 2: Audio L/R in, CVBS

AV 3: (1, 2, 3Fh autoranging), Audio L/R in, YPbPr

AV 4: HDMI, Audio L/R in

AV 5: HDMI

AV 6: HDMI

Front / Side connections: Audio L/R in, CVBS in, Headphone out, S-video in, USB

Other connections: Monitor out L/R (Cinch), S/PDIF in (coaxial), S/PDIF out (coaxial) HDMI3

BKLoungeBouncer

HDMI to component converters can be a little pricey.

However, YPbPr is component. That should be a red, a blue and a green plug. Based on the above, you have 2 component slots. You can use either. You may as well just get the component cables that are readily available at any gaming or big box store like BestBuy or CircuitCity.

Good Luck!

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Is hdmi really THAT much better than regular hd? I've been thinking about getting hdmi but man, 30-40 bucks is a lot of money just for a cord. Is it really significantly better?
gearsofwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gearsofwow
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i found and hdmi cable at big lots for under 20 bucks and got it..so far havent had any probs with it dont know y they so pricy at other stores
badhoagie91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 badhoagie91
Member since 2007 • 731 Posts

Why HDMI wasnt built into the Xenon Boards, I dont know.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
component cables would be your best bet, or a VGI cable
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I was looking at the HDMI cable from Microsoft and found out that since my 360 doesn't have an HDMI port I couldn't use it directly with it..how would I go about hooking it up to the new hdtv, this will be my first one.BKLoungeBouncer
VGA cable would be the best bet..that seems to give me a nice clear picture quality..although I can use a HDMI cable for my HDMI 360 I choose not to because to me it gives off a more darker look. So I prefer and recommend a VGA cable to start your HD gaming with.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I believe all Xbox 360s come with component cables, which you can hook up to your hdtv for great pictures. Composite cables are just your basic yellow, red, and white cables. They're the bottom of the barrel.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

onl aunch day the arcade pack (the hard drive-less machine with a wired controller....) did NOT come with component (red/blue/gree/red/white), but instead ONLY came with composite (yellow/red/white). to best looking image he can get out of his machine is either component or VGA. Both will gove a very good picture, only difference is that VGA will upscale the DVDs. silly xbox doesnt upscale DVDs over component, yet if the video file was on a USB then it would....

component cables CAN DO 1080P IF YOUR TV CAN ACCEPT 1080p over component. you cacn get 1080p HD DVD via VGA only as well on this machine if you had the HD player (of which i am the proud owner of one, also own a Toshy E1 and about 100 HD dvds, also havea combo bluray/HD DVD rom in my PC as backup)

dan_plus_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dan_plus_o
Member since 2003 • 2240 Posts
VGA cable
Avatar image for Thebestofrundmc
Thebestofrundmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thebestofrundmc
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i have soniq full HD 1080p 46" led lcd tv and i cant get xbox to get hd picture, still looks like the yellow/red/white picture and i have the red/blue/green/white/yellow cable plugged in also turned the switch to hd on the cord, and still doesnt work. i've tried all the hdmi channels but get no sound picture the only channel it works on is the companent channel but that his bad picture. do i need to get anything else to make the hd work or am i missing something?
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

This thread has been revived from the depths of the board 3 times :|.

EDIT: FOUR times.

Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

The core edition only came with regular audio/video cables right? I think the best you can do is buy the composite cables it will run in high def but not full 1080p. I am in the same boat, PS3 has HDMI, 360 nope. It looks good though with composite so I don't really care. As for an adapter, to my knowledge nothing exists that will do what you want, though I may be wrong.Senor_T_Dub

COMPONENT, COMPONENT, composite is the sd cables.