Oblivion.....now Morrowind???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

masprague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 masprague
Member since 2006 • 614 Posts

hey all,

I have been just pumping hours into Oblivion over the past couple of weeks.

Then I remembered that Morowwind was on the orginal xbox...so I thought I might give that a try. I know that graphically it wont compare to Oblivion, but is the game equally as engrossing??

Also on the BC page on xbox.com, I saw Morrowind listed, but not GOTY. I plan on buying the GOTY version...will it still work on my 360?

thanks bros...

Avatar image for tunasandwich395
tunasandwich395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tunasandwich395
Member since 2006 • 996 Posts
Not sure about the last question but I know for sure that I couldn't get into Morrowind, it was a little more confusing and the combat is unsatisfying
SaintJotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SaintJotun
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

I played Morrowind for 2 years and never got bored.

And yes, it's backwards-compatible.

masprague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 masprague
Member since 2006 • 614 Posts

I played Morrowind for 2 years and never got bored.

And yes, it's backwards-compatible.

SaintJotun

you are referring to the GOTY edition right???

SaintJotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SaintJotun
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure GOTY is.
Scalemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Scalemaster
Member since 2003 • 149 Posts
The combat in Oblivion is much more refined compared to Morrowind, but to me, Morrowind had much more depth and had a larger world. It is definitely much harder than Oblivion. For starters, you have find every objective for your mission; meaning that you don't have an arrow to show you were to go, you have to use your map and/or landmarks to find your way. There are many more guilds, houses(which were not in Oblivion), sidequests etc to do in Morrowind than there was in Oblivion. This is my opinion, but I think that Oblivion was made more mainstream compared to Morrowind. That is not to say that its a bad game as I think on the whole, Morrowind is a better game. But if refined combat, simplified magic, and easily found objectives are your thing, then avoid Morrowind as you will be disappointed.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
goty version will be the same just it will install the add ons before the game starts
Scalemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Scalemaster
Member since 2003 • 149 Posts
I am not sure if the GOTY version would work or not. It contains both the bloodmoon and tribunal expansions which may not work on the 360. If the GOTY doesn't work, don't fret, the main Morrowind game will give you 250+ hours easy with about 30-40 hours on the main quest and you can get it for less than $10. The expansions are great, but if the GOTY version doesn't work, don't worry.
DeadlyPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 DeadlyPlatypus
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

I enjoyed both... here is my opinion...

Morrowind was a classic and breakthrough game. Despite not being that graphically amazing, it had a great story and took hours of your time.

Oblivion is definetly graphically superior with a more balanced system, but I found it both easier and shorter than Morrowind, and it wasn't as intriguing to me.

But Oblivion is still great... I would even rate it higher than Morrowind despite my opinion on the two:

Morrowind: (At its time) 8.5

Oblivion: 9.5

steveslugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 steveslugga
Member since 2007 • 1344 Posts
i had the same thoughts about morrowind, & once i got it, i was completely dissapointed & simply couldnt get into it, my suggestion to everyone is play morrowind BEFORE you play oblivion, otherwise it just feels outdated & glitchy
PyroPice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 PyroPice
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts
heres the way it is, if you liked oblivion and all of its crappyness, you will not like morrowind. Now however if you found oblivion to be incredibly dull and repetitve then you might just enjoy one of the greatest games of all time.(goty edition is BC)
juggleJUGGLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 juggleJUGGLER
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts
marrowing is slow and combat is horrible compared to oblivion. i wouldn't even bother with it.
juggleJUGGLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 juggleJUGGLER
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts
MORROWIND MY BAD
steveslugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 steveslugga
Member since 2007 • 1344 Posts
marrowing is slow and combat is horrible compared to oblivion. i wouldn't even bother with it.juggleJUGGLER
i kno u corrected yourself but i couldnt help but laugh at "marrowing" hahaha
Bartag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bartag
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
To me it would kinda be like a really good movie based off of a really good book. Both are good in their own rights, but you can always nit-pick the differences between the two. Oblivion is a great game. And I really can't say too much about compairing the two cause I only played Morrowind on PC (don't know how much different console play and pc play would be). But I will say play both. Oblivion is smoother and a whole lot prettier. Morrowind goes into almost OCD levels of things to do and is very, very deep. Play both and get the best of both worlds.
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
Morrowing is a vastly superior game IMO....... Bethesda seems to have completely sold out. If you are thinking about getting Morrowind, I'd suggest getting the PC version instead. They have tens of thousands of mods, thousands of new weapons, armor, quests, areas...ect ect ect. Of course they added the ability to mount horses and fight from them, along with better fighting mechanics all together. There's also a ton of mods that make the game look MUCH better.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
It's different form Oblivion so.. After I played Oblivion then played Morrowind I hated Morrowind.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

The combat is grossly inferior to Oblivion's, so it may be hard to jump into Morrowind. This is only because it is harder to get into; the problem with Morrowind is that your weapon only strikes your target a percentage of the time based on your skill. Once you boost up your weapon's skill, though, the combat becomes similar to Oblivion. If you can get over this, then I would definitely reccomend it. Get the GOTY version hands down, it is the best. Bloodmoon is amazing, turning into a werewolf and all. Yes, it does work on the 360.

I don't know why you would leave Oblivion behind for Morrowind, but to each his own eh? Morrowind is a fantastic game, I say go for it.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
it's a lot easier to get lost as there's no map. Graphics suck like you thought, and combat is sub par compared to Oblivion. It's your call if you wanna get it.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
It will work and in my opinion Morrowind is far better than Oblivion, not that I think Oblivion is a bad game. I put more than 500+ hours into Morrowind easily.
DVzomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DVzomb
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts

Yes, the GOTY version is BC on the xbox 360. I should know, since I bought it a few months ago.
I did every single possible quest in oblivion, including the DLC, and it stands as one of my favorite games of all time. I recently played Morrowind, and to be honest, it's really hard to get into. That's not to say I'm giving up, but it's a tough game to get into in 2008. The leap in visuals between Morrowind and Oblivion is tremendous. Morrowind also has a pretty shallow combat mechanic, and the spells aren't as fun to cast. Stealth isn't as fun either. You can't auto travel, and you don't have a marker telling you where to go. The characters don't have voice overs, so you'll be reading through text like you would in a book. I'm still not giving up though. There has to be something I haven't discovered yet which explains why everyone loves it so much.

The music is outstanding though, and so is the story.