Oblivion randomly crashing-is this normal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts
Hey i was wondering has anyone alse experienced this.When i am walking or riding on a horse through the wild the game will just crash in which i have to restart the console,the game is Brand new with no scrathes + it's my second copy as the first one cracked
Strykr_Mithras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Strykr_Mithras
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts

The only time my game crashes is with a Disc Read error...there was a problem I was having once after getting Shivering Isles though....for some reason when I would try to go from one area to another in the Imperial City it would freeze up at the loading screen...I just deleted my saved games and I've had no problems since then.

Do you have any problems with any of your other games?

lvin5992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 lvin5992
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts
yea sumtimes it does happen the game would freeze on me at least once a week
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gibson-les-rick

nope,thats the only game that has ever crashed

Strykr_Mithras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Strykr_Mithras
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts
You did let the game update itself when you started it up?
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gibson-les-rick

my broadband has been down for a while so i havent updated it yet ,y whats in the update?

Grende1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grende1
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts
Oblivion is pretty buggy, although they released a patch that helped a lot. That was the game that it was recommended to hold the 'A' button down during game start up (before the first Bethesda screen) to clear the game cache. This also helped somewhat. The game would randomly crash, though. After the patch, I never had it crash. Before the patch, it crashed on me nearly a dozen times.
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts

I played 300 hours of Oblivion and I don't recall any crashes. It may have crashed, but it happend so few times, that I don't remember. I even used the duplication cheat extensively.

Make sure your console is cool. Keep the power supply on blocks to raise it from the carpet. Also keep it far away from the 360, since it is hot.

Place the 360 on a hard surface with as much space around it as possible. Keep the 360 below any other electronics. Heat rises and you don't want to bake the 360. Don't close the doors to your entertainment center and it is best that there be some ventilation in the back of the entertainment center. (Don't remove the back board if it is required to support the e-center, just cut a hole, or twoin it.)

gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gibson-les-rick
thanks for the advice,i think i better get the patch!
Grende1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grende1
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts

I played 300 hours of Oblivion and I don't recall any crashes. It may have crashed, but it happend so few times, that I don't remember. I even used the duplication cheat extensively.

Berserker_2

It crashes, before the patch anyway. Bethesda even publicly admitted it. They said is was a result of a programming bug when the game cached to the HDD. Another 2K game released around the same time, a 2K baseball game, also had the same bug. Although it was much worse in the baseball game, but was also a result from caching to the HDD (in this case, caching replays of the action). Both games were patched.

gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gibson-les-rick
is dere anyway to clear the cache?