Never owned a 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

selphtitled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 selphtitled
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hi i have never owned any of the new generation consoles. I have always enjoyed more of the old school games and consoles, but recently i was thinking about getting into the new consoles. My question is should i get a 360 or should i wait to see if something new will come out since the console has been out for awhile?
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Here's the deal: there will most likely will be some kind of new Xbox within a year's time or so, and if it hasn't released by then, we will definitely know about it. We know this gen is coming to a close. So take that into consideration.

That being said, however, I'd still say get a 360. The system has been around for almost 8 years now, so it has built up quite the library of games, many of which can be found used in stores or online for dirt cheap prices. If you don't mind not being up on the latest releases (which I'm assuming you don't, since you don't have a 360 currently), even if the next Xbox comes along you'll still be able to play a lot of great games.

So I'd say it would be worth your investment, both time and money-wise.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
I don't currently own, nor have I previously owned a 360, but I've been giving serious thought to picking one up during the holidays since there are sure to be any number of sales this time of year. Here's my thought process: I'm not the least bit interested in/concerned with waiting for the next generation. The soonest we're likely to see a new XBox (or Playstation) will be next year. Even then, it's likely going to be expensive, the hardware will be largely untested (which may or may not mean we'll see a whole new crop of critical system failures in those early waves), and the library of games is sure to be pretty limited at launch. Even if the new consoles were being released this year, I seriously doubt I'd buy one because of those factors. The 360, however, has been around for years now. It's way more affordable (at anywhere from $200 to $400, depending on the model you want to invest in). The majority of kinks have been worked out of the system. And there's a huge library of games available. So, again, since I don't plan on jumping on the next console at launch, there's easily a wealth of games to keep me happy with and entertained by a 360 for years to come. To the point where, by the time I'm ready to move on to a new console, I'll be right back to where I am now: able to pick up the system at a reduced price, with (hopefully) more refined hardware, and an extensive library of games. But if you feel you have to have the newest toys, or you're desperate to keep up with friends who always buy the newest stuff, or if there's simply nothing on current gen systems that really appeals to you, then you might as well wait. For me, this is definitely the ideal time to buy a 360 - especially with Black Friday and all the holiday and post-holiday deals on console bundles and crazy games sales. I'll get way more bang for my buck now than I would if I waited and bought a newly launched next-gen system. Sure, this stuff is several years old now, and most people have a "been there, done that" attitude toward the games, but it's all new to me. And since I'm buy it for me, that's all that matters.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It's a good console. I haven't really regretted my purchase yet, it has good games, it is at a nice price range right now, etc. But this place really isn't the right place to ask it, since this is a 360 board. You should try Primary Gaming Discussion. And if you can, stay away from System Wars.
JDWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JDWolfie
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts

I'll honestly say that this generation for Xbox is better than last generation. I would at least hold off until E3 and see if they announce a new Xbox. If that is the case, most 360 games will probably be backward-compatible and they will be dirt cheap by then.

MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 MaKillaGorilla
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

I just bought a second Xbox on eBay for 68 dollars. The system is great and has a lot of awesome titles in its library. New consoles are probably close to a year off and another before theyre reasonably enough pricedcto buy.

doombreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 doombreaker
Member since 2007 • 7567 Posts
its not like all the games on 360 will be gone as soon as the next one shows up... now is a great time with all the great games already out
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

cant go wrong with a 360 IMO. I have xbox, pc, and ps3 and I play the most on the 360. Even if microsoft do press on a new console next year. It won't come till a minimal of next holiday season so they is entire year with rumors... remind you microsoft or sony as NOT made ANY news on their new consoles. saving $250 bucks for minimal of 1 year entertainment is well worth it. Even if there new console u can always go back and buy games for it dirt cheep.

just make sure u get a hard drive and not the 4gb model...

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

It's a good console. I haven't really regretted my purchase yet, it has good games, it is at a nice price range right now, etc. But this place really isn't the right place to ask it, since this is a 360 board. You should try Primary Gaming Discussion. And if you can, stay away from System Wars.funsohng

why shouldn't he ask the 360 board? He is asking a community that presumable has/plays a 360 on a regular basis and thus our opinion is a vaild one and worth more than some people who has never played it. Why should he go to general discussion so he can hammered by PC elites or PS3 fanboys who wont buy a 360 due to some sort of zealot principle. This is like telling someone who wants buy a Chevy truck to go ask the Honda Dealer what they think about that desire. Your advice is foolishness.

On topic: Yes, you should get a 360 if any of the exclusives interest you or if you want certain DLC for games like Skyrim that you can only currently get on the 360. There is still a great selection of games coming out. Halo 4 is gonna beast if you think you can catch up with this generations competitive multiplayer. Be warned, however, you will have to pay for online service when you could get it for free on PS3. Also, if you don't own a Blue-ray player and think it something you really want then you could kill two birds with one stone and get the PS3.They also have a great variety of games.

I only owned a PS3 when it first came out so i can't say i know everything about it now cause took it back since it didnt have any good at that time when it first launched, there were no games i liked even though i tried them. However, that's clearly not the case anymore. Now, going any deeper in the subject may be crossing the lines in this forum but i will say there are certain things i prefer with the 360 over the PS3. Nevertheless, this isn't what your're asking is it. Your asking if you should get a 360. Well, seeing how you manage to not get into this generation until possibly now i'd say for you its the perfect time.

You will be able to get a great deal on a 250gb slim with two free games (forza 4 and skyrim) at 250 bucks. Then, if you go to your local gamestop you can get so many great hits for 10 to 20 bucks. I envy you. You can play all these great games for the first time for the fraction of what i had to pay. Also, at the rate you play games, even if the next gen xbox 360 came out in a year, you'll easily spend two years playing the old games on xbox 360. Not to mention there is still a great list of current games to chose from. SO go buy it NOW lol, jk but good luck with your choice.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Think of it this way. You are only just now considering getting a 360, many years after it has been out. Whether or not a next gen console comes out in the next 2 years shouldn't really be much of a concern to you straight away, especially since there are MANY awesome games for you to catch up on :). Also, if a next gen console does come out in the next 2 years, if you wait a year or 2 after it has been released, it might even be a little bit cheaper :).