NEED HELP! 360 shows red screen during gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brandon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Brandon_
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts

I have the 360 elite. Iv had it for 1 1/2 years. Never had ANY problems until recently. I was playing gta4 last week and all of a sudden the entire screen started having red blotches/lines in it. I turned the system off.. Then today i was trying to play Silent hill Origins and about 1 minute into the game the same thing started happening. It doesnt happen when im on the dashboard. Here is a youtube video I posted of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Ky9l1MNF0

Does anyone know whats going on? Is it a hardware failure? Im NOT getting RROD, yet.

Haphilli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Haphilli
Member since 2005 • 1023 Posts
If you can still move around in the game as in if it does not completely lock up then it is either your AV cable or your TV.
Brandon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brandon_
now i get no picture at all, just sound ;[
Brandon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Brandon_
now i get no picture at all, just sound ;[
XTREMEGAMER5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 XTREMEGAMER5
Member since 2004 • 974 Posts
I have just got the same problem but with fable 2, the screen goes a very hazey red and it's hard to make things out. I think it's the fable game that has made it like as when i pause the game the screen is clear.
teacher4tc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 teacher4tc
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts

now i get no picture at all, just sound ;[Brandon_

I am thinking it is your cables, have you attempted to watch regular tv ?

ViceVersa_k20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ViceVersa_k20
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
red screen eh..seems to me like either your cords jacked up or the cd is scrached...btw try looking at your monitor setting in the dashboard that probably could be the prob...
JMan1c1347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JMan1c1347
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It's always nice looking back at posts when a friendly band of idiots come together to suggest solutions that aren't even remotely close to being an accurate diagnosis. Really sick people shouldn't go to a pharmacy. There's this neat thing called a... hospy...? a housytail...? oh yeah...a hospital.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
wow thats weird might be the cord or the tv try plugging it in a different spot most TV's have 2+ spots for every connection type or its RSoD(red screen of death) lol jk
kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
It's always nice looking back at posts when a friendly band of idiots come together to suggest solutions that aren't even remotely close to being an accurate diagnosis. Really sick people shouldn't go to a pharmacy. There's this neat thing called a... hospy...? a housytail...? oh yeah...a hospital. JMan1c1347
Considering that you didn't even offer a useful suggestion, those "idiots" are currently being more productive members at gamespot than you are. Anyway, I am not really convinced that it is the AV cable. However, I don't have much experience with the 360. If you are using a component/composite cable, switch it over to the mode you don't normally use, and plug the appropriate cables into the tv. If the problem still occurs it would seem there is a problem with the 360 itself. If you are using an HDMI cable, then I doubt the cable is the culprit, and instead the 360 itself may have a problem. Of course, the most definitive test would be to just try another cable.
JMan1c1347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JMan1c1347
[QUOTE="JMan1c1347"]It's always nice looking back at posts when a friendly band of idiots come together to suggest solutions that aren't even remotely close to being an accurate diagnosis. Really sick people shouldn't go to a pharmacy. There's this neat thing called a... hospy...? a housytail...? oh yeah...a hospital. kimbokasteniv
Considering that you didn't even offer a useful suggestion, those "idiots" are currently being more productive members at gamespot than you are. Anyway, I am not really convinced that it is the AV cable. However, I don't have much experience with the 360. If you are using a component/composite cable, switch it over to the mode you don't normally use, and plug the appropriate cables into the tv. If the problem still occurs it would seem there is a problem with the 360 itself. If you are using an HDMI cable, then I doubt the cable is the culprit, and instead the 360 itself may have a problem. Of course, the most definitive test would be to just try another cable.

Good idea to not be convinced it's the av cable, considering I called the previous people idiots for mentioning that. When someone takes the step to go online to request help, it's a good idea to believe that that person isn't a complete tool as to not check the hook-ups & all the other basics. "More productive?" A blind lifeguard vs. some1 choosing not to rescue another in the middle of a school of sharks are two different things. 1 is completely useless unless you're looking for an honest game of Marco Polo...& the other can already tell the blind guy that the school of sharks are dead. Oh...the metaphors...I hope you got that. It was never about productivity to begin with, but since you want to bring it up, they weren't productive at all. You not liking my response as much as theirs doesn't change that truth. As for me not offering a solution...oops...my bad...that's right...this years old topic is such a mystery...oh wait...it's not a mystery, is it. It's long since been diagnosed. Don't worry, I didn't assume you weren't an idiot. I know better. But to satisfy an idiot: It's one of two: either the scaler chip is damaged or... the person is...you guessed it...or maybe you didn't... an idiot. In any case, the e74 is under warranty like the RROD is now, so...shut up and send it in. If they haven't seen the e74 yet...they will. Back to the idiot idiot...that's you... People don't come to gamespot or any other online forum to get the same technical support "goop" they get at every xbox e-mail & 1-800 number. If they're here, chances are they went to that good ol' xbox website that people talk about... and if they didn't....well...then they'll surely make your acquaintance. Happy Mother's Day.
kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
[QUOTE="JMan1c1347"] It's one of two: either the scaler chip is damaged or... In any case, the e74 is under warranty like the RROD is now, so...shut up and send it in.

Well there we go, now you are being a productive member of gamespot.
JMan1c1347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JMan1c1347
[QUOTE="kimbokasteniv"][QUOTE="JMan1c1347"] It's one of two: either the scaler chip is damaged or... In any case, the e74 is under warranty like the RROD is now, so...shut up and send it in.

Well there we go, now you are being a productive member of gamespot.

It's not "productive" to cut quotes...you forgot the second part... so I'll say it for you... "or...the person is....an idiot." What can I say...I'm productive AND thorough.
TOC48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 TOC48
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Weird Graphic Hitches and colors during gameplay but not on guide and dashboard. I ended up getting the E74 Error. Which is why i am now on my second xbox.
Bhoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bhoone
Member since 2009 • 169 Posts

not just red rings,now red screens:|

wtf..microsoft really loves the color red.