My xbox red ringed, but seems to have come back to life...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Seth707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Seth707
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts
I was playing Psychonauts when it happened (with an old disc, NOT the download version on xbl), I had paused the game to go do something and when i came back the screen was black, and unresponsive to any buttons. so I manually turned off the console and restarted it. I tried this several times and each time the console would get about halfway through the initial boot up screen and it would freeze. Eventually, it gave me the 3 red rings. I unplugged the console, and removed the game disc also. I waited about 5 minutes and turned it back on and it seems to be working now. Should I not try playing Psychonauts again? I bought the console last december so its not old at all. It is the elite version also. I do play it a lot, but I was wondering if maybe this game somehow caused it?
RedChuckz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 RedChuckz
Member since 2006 • 830 Posts
Sooner or later it's going to die for good.
koolaidWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 koolaidWTF
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts
It's gonna die soon, your best bet is to do the "towel trick" wrap it in a towel and keep it on, fry your 360 send it into MS and get a new one sent to you =].
maxmartins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 maxmartins
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

or if you modded it, trying opening it up and hair drying your board. It should come back, sometimes for good.

koolaidWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 koolaidWTF
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts

or if you modded it, trying opening it up and hair drying your board. It should come back, sometimes for good.

maxmartins

If you didn't mod it I highly suggest you don't mod it or open it, both of those will void any warranty you have on it. 

MasterCS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MasterCS
Member since 2008 • 88 Posts
It might not die, My friends 360 did the same when he dropped it from a dresser. And he turned it off for 10 mins and its been working ever since. This happened about a year ago.
Seth707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Seth707
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts
Ive heard of the towel trick before, but how exactly does making it heat up make it work? Just curious. Think im gonna go ahead send it in now though, its almost christmas and I know im getting several 360 games. Would hate to have a bunch of new games and no console to play them on.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
I'm sorry to tell you, but you only have days left, maybe weeks. When getting the RRoD that happens to all of us at first, then the console dies for good.
toopureTOdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 toopureTOdie
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my Xbox, It was standing upright on my table and I had a few buddies over. My one buddy knocked the Box over and she crashed to the ground, hard. I turned it off and tried to boot it up again, and instantly the warning message came up on the screen telling me to call Xbox and what not. I was pissed off because it broke but didn't want to go to the trouble of sending it back, so I just left it on the shelf for about a week and didn't play it. Later on that week my brother bought Amped 3 and was playing it, I don't know how she came back to life but I'm glad it did. :)
toopureTOdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 toopureTOdie
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my Xbox, It was standing upright on my table and I had a few buddies over. My one buddy knocked the Box over and she crashed to the ground, hard. I turned it off and tried to boot it up again, and instantly the warning message came up on the screen telling me to call Xbox and what not. I was pissed off because it broke but didn't want to go to the trouble of sending it back, so I just left it on the shelf for about a week and didn't play it. Later on that week my brother bought Amped 3 and was playing it, I don't know how she came back to life but I'm glad it did. :)
Malevescant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Malevescant
Member since 2008 • 891 Posts

The same thing happened to my 360. I was playing Saint's Row 2 about a day after release and the screen blacked out, the console went all quiet and the three red lights appeared. I just turned it off then back on again and it's been fine ever since.

Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts

Once your box gets a taste of the RROD it will always hunger for more.

Tuffg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tuffg
Member since 2003 • 697 Posts
it probably overheated because you might have it in a confineds area with no air movement. If thats the case you'll just have to move it and it should be fine.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Yup. The hunger.... (Heroes reference if you didn't get it...) Anyway yeah the 360 MIGHT live on despite getting the rings, however the sheer fact that it got them once means it probably will sooner or later get them again, and it might be for good next time. Just send it in and have the good ol boys at M$ patch it up for you. I don't know much about this towel trick but I'm guessing since overheating is the main cause of the rings in the first place, adding even more heat will probably just damage it further, so stay away from that.