My black controller won't charge (with play and charge kit)

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RandomTask221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 RandomTask221
Member since 2005 • 7795 Posts

Hey everyone, its been a long time since I have been around here..anyway, I have a black Xbox 360 and I bought the play and charge kit with it. Now, I was off at college for the last few months and when I came back, whenever I plug my xbox 360 controller into the play and charge kit, the red light comes on for a few minutes, then a green light shows up. whenever I unplug the controller from the play and charge kit, it goes dead and wont turn on.. any suggestions?

Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lorindol
Member since 2004 • 2589 Posts
it could be dirty connectors on the battery or controller, an eraser can fix that, if not then your battery could be bad.
rrandolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rrandolph
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts
Yep, definitely the battery. The same thing happened to me. Nothing is wron with your plug and play, as you mentioned when you plug it in the light turns green. Problem is battery is not getting charge or is not retaining the charge. A new battery is required.
Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts
Same thing is happening to me. I have two battery packs and the weird part is they both suddenly started doing it at the same time. It's not like they gradually started losing power they both just stopped charging at once.
Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
Could be the charger not well... charging correctly. You got a buddy who has the same stuff that you can test with?
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts
i had the same problem SO i went out and bought the energizer 15 min rechargeable AA batteries and charger works great
chris_uk_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chris_uk_83
Member since 2006 • 461 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. And it happened on both of my play and charge kits at the same time! Neither battery will charge using either of the leads. It's a pain in the arse and I'd like to figure out how to fix it.
Corvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Corvan
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

I can see alot of people are having this problem, a few things that might help. 1. make sure its fully pluged into the console. ((Stupid i know, but it does happen)). 2, make sure the connection plugs are clean. 3, if the battery dies after a full recharge within 10 to 15 minutes, time for a new battery. 4, if it is not working at all..time for a new kit. :)

charalambosnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 charalambosnik
Member since 2007 • 108 Posts

I know people suggest different things but because it happened to me that´s what i did.

First i thought that it was the battery packs so i bought new ones.

But i figured out it was the play and charge kit so i bought a quick charge kit.So when the battery packs need charging i use the play and charge kit(whick is ruined and it doesn´t charge the battery at all but at least it keeps it alive when i am playing) and when i turn off the 360 i use the quick charge kit.

The best and cheapest solution would be to buy some some rechargeable batteries(energizer) and get it over with.

chris_uk_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chris_uk_83
Member since 2006 • 461 Posts

I've had limited success with this technique:

I just kept plugging in the charge cable, waiting for the green light to come on, unplugging it and plugging it back in again. Eventually the red light stayed on. I'm going to try this with my other controller and battery, which is also having the same problems. I'll let you know if it works.

Apparently it's an idiosyncracy of LiIon batteries, if you dischage them too much they're reluctant to charge back up again. By constantly charging them a bit with the play and charge kit you build up the charge enough for them to properly charge. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's currently working on one of my batteries.

drew_ServesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 drew_ServesX
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I just kept plugging in the charge cable, waiting for the green light to come on, unplugging it and plugging it back in again. Eventually the red light stayed on. I'm going to try this with my other controller and battery, which is also having the same problems. I'll let you know if it works.

Apparently it's an idiosyncracy of LiIon batteries, if you dischage them too much they're reluctant to charge back up again. By constantly charging them a bit with the play and charge kit you build up the charge enough for them to properly charge. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's currently working on one of my batteries.

chris_uk_83

Thanks chris_uk_83! I was experiencing the exact same problem, but after following your suggestion, my play and charge kit is working now. But I had to plug and unplug the USB about 10 times before the light stayed red. And I thought my kit was just defective.

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
I'd say use a friends equipment to test the charger and/or try another pair of batteries.
sirk2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sirk2020
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

chris_uk_83

Having not played my 360 in like 3 months must of completely drained the battery. Forcing the charge like he said worked, after doing it about 5 times the controller stayed on, then after like 17 times the light stayed red and charged. Thanks for saving me like 20 bucks on a new kit :)

digg2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 digg2000

Same problem. Pretty weird. I'll break it down...

Black controller battery wouldn't hold a charge. So I bought a new play and charge kit. Same thing was happening. So then I figured it was something with the controller. Here's the strange thing, if I charge the battery when it's on my white controller, it fully charges, disconnect the charge kit, and it holds the charge no problem. Also after doing this, if I then put that battery back on to my black controller, it'll work. So that means it HAS to be a problem with the controller, right? I'm gonna call XBox tomorrow.

BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
I had the same problem. I had the kit for only afew months and only charged it like 10 times. One day the light came on for a sec then went out. Unplugged it and it died right away. Called MS and they sent me anouther battery pack but it does the same thing. I figured it was the cord and said skrew it. I buy a 48 pack of AA from Costco for $10 and I don't worry about it any more :). I might try the unplug/plug thing just to see.
Avatar image for basketballer333
basketballer333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 basketballer333

Thank You! I tried the Unplug/plug trick as i was having exactly the same problem with a black controller and everything and it seems to be working!! Recomend that tecneque 5/5! dont bother going out and buying anything just do that!:D

EDIT: it is allworking perfectly the controller is charged to the max and is all working! once again THNXXX!!!

DohBoy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DohBoy122
Member since 2006 • 429 Posts

wow this is crazy, the exact opposite happened to me, my white controller's connection to the play and charge kit must me scrwed up cuz my black one works perfectly. i'll have to try the plug in and plug out technique

timugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 timugen
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

chris_uk_83

^ ^ ^ ^

This is the ticket.

Thank you very much chris_uk_83. You have saved me from a few more gray hairs.

karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts

chris_uk_83
That's some nice advice. It's weird though. I'd use the black controller with my play and charge kit, it wouldn't charge it. I'd stick it in the white controller, it'd work. Maybe I have a racist battery pack?
vCJv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vCJv
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I have 4 x Black controllers + 1 play and charge kit + 1 rechargeable battery. When plugged into the Xbox, the LED lights up for a split second, then goes out. It won't charge, but it will power the controller to let me use it. I borrowed a mates controller and battery to test. His controller and battery worked fine on my charge kit, so my cable is working! I plugged HIS working battery into my controllers (all 4 of them) and NONE worked! I then plugged MY battery into his working controller, and it wouldn't work! What's the chances in my 4 x controllers AND battery going faulty the same day? This makes no sense. Any help?
user-account

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 user-account
im not to sure if this might be a problem or not but for two nights i charged my i pod touch mk2 from about 24:00(midnight) - 08:00am for two nights via usb port on xbox 360(elite) i have a plug and charge kit (not battery charge) this maybe a problem not sure but hopefully this might help
kramasz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kramasz

chris_uk_83
This seems to be working for me. Lights are solid red again! not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I had my xbox and controllers with battery packs IN the trunk of my car for a day or two... this could have some how caused issues with their recharging. good luck all.
gameguy7895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameguy7895

If the controllers black then the charge kist is white it wont work I know it sounds stupid but its true it happened to me

OldSchoolRPGs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OldSchoolRPGs
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. And it happened on both of my play and charge kits at the same time! Neither battery will charge using either of the leads. It's a pain in the arse and I'd like to figure out how to fix it.chris_uk_83
Oh my God dude, thank you SO MUCH! I went out and bought a new battery a while back cause my old one wasn't working. Sometimes im inactive from my 360 for months, so the second one died off. Thanks to your method its charging right now! I'm freakin stoked! Thank you thank you thank you!
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Mine and my friends black ones don't charge but my white one works perfectly fine.

Avatar image for I_haf_a_360_LOL
I_haf_a_360_LOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 I_haf_a_360_LOL
I have the same problem. What I have done so far is buy a new plug and play, which didn't solve it. Then I exchanged the controller for another one, which didn't solve it. So then, sigh, I exchanged the 120g 360 Elite for another one (the first Elite was also crashing), which didn't solve the problem. However there is some good (more like rofltastic) news, before I updated the OS to "the new XBL experience" the black controller was charing correctly. I honestly do not understand what this means techinically. But I can be certain now that MS and the 360 is an effing joke. No I am not a PS3 fanboi, I did however unsuccessfully try to exchange the 360 for a PS3 though (haha). Why the change of heart? Because this Elite is the fifth 360 I have had. The first two rrod'd. The third refurbished one they sent me has a defective optical drive which when I pointed this out they said I could pay them to fix it (whadafak!11!). So I stopped playing My 360 and went back to just using a PC. At Chirtmas I received an Elite as a gift. Lo and behold it breaks 5 months later. Needless to say this experience, as well as the one with the loltastic lag on the XBL network, has me advocating the PS3 without even having played one. Five Xboxs, five. If you or anyone you know is looking to buy a console, tell them to buy a PS3. Online play is free and far less laggy so I understand. An easy thing to believe when playing one of the 360's premiere shooters, GoW2, is by far the laggest game I have ever played. In between host advantage, poor networking, the ability for individuals to intentionally lag everyone else but themselves, and its easily manipulated ranking system makes it by far the biggest failre of a major online shooter I've seen in 7 years. The weird thing is, there was, and is less lag in the first Gears. Anyhow, I'm just pissed I haven't been able to use a 360 that works as advertised and needed to rant about how messed up this whole thing has been. Oh, and MS supports solution to this was for me to ship them, at my cost, my Elite. I would also like to add that the Elite I got from the exchange at EB games is a Falcon and not a Jaspser chipset. Even more pitiful is that its manufacture date is 2008-08-06.
belsey69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 belsey69
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

this makes no sense at all - but i got a buddy who was having this problem to try it and it worked for him too;

i plugged the charge cable into my computer and let windows install "drivers" for the usb device - it then recognizes it as an xbox360 play and charge kit.. once we did that - the controller would then charge both at the computer and from the xbox.. i know this makes no sense - WHY it worked i have no idea - point is it worked for us.. maybe you guys should try that.. now the light stays on and the battery fully charges..

good luck

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The battery may have gone bad from prolonged use.
dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#32 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts
My friend had this happen as well. I'll give you the same advice I gave him. Those black ones don't want to work well, and when they do they are sloppy at it. Go return it and get a good white one. Very reliable, always working when you need them. Besides, the black ones don't really work well with the rest of the white system we have. They stick out, and most people I know just stay away from them. Use the good white ones instead.
max12312054

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 max12312054

Yep, definitely the battery. The same thing happened to me. Nothing is wron with your plug and play, as you mentioned when you plug it in the light turns green. Problem is battery is not getting charge or is not retaining the charge. A new battery is required.rrandolph
The same thing happened to me 2 of the battery's stopped working at the same time and the other 2 work just fine. One is black and the other is white and I did not keep them hooked up to play and charge and used them about once a week. Now I can't use them unless their are connected to play and charge.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
The play and charge kits are crap. I got sick of them a long time ago. I bought myself an Energizer charger and some rechargeable Energizer batteries instead. The batteries last ages on a full charge and only take 20 minutes to recharge. I only have to charge them about once every two weeks. When I used the play and charge kit I had to charge the battery packs every few days and recharging them took hours. I even started turning the controller vibration feature off to try and make each charge last longer. I'd never go back to the play and charge kits.
marsvolta68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 marsvolta68
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I was having this problem recently with my black controller as well. I ended up getting it to charge again by plugging it in and once the light changed to green after a second, I pressed the button on my xbox to locate a new controller, then unplugged it and hit the connect on the controller as well and when it had reconnected i plugged it in and it began charging.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Don't discriminate. The color of the controller has nothing to do with these problems.
RedReckoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RedReckoning
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts

check to make sure you dont have the wrong battery pack in (double a batteries)

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts

i have a controller like that. it sucks. i just use it as a wired controller now :(

deadkandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 deadkandy
Member since 2003 • 108 Posts

Reviving old thread.

So I have 2 black controllers and an Xbox Elite. The second controller I bought with its charger kit and has never ever worked. I tried the unplug and plug a gazillion times, but alas, the red light never came :( One briefly appeared, then turned to green even though the battery pack is uncharged...So my question is (for those of you who's spamming the plug/unplug technique worked): did you unplug the controller part or the usb part every time? Because I've tried both, tried all USB ports (heck, I even tried pluging it in my comp), but NOTHING works :( This is stupid. Someone help me :(

Rimsa_Laded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rimsa_Laded
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts

chris_uk_83
OMFG THANK YOU SO MUCH! IT WORKED!
DBScott11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 DBScott11
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

take the batter case out and put an empty regular one that u usually put battereis in but dont have batteries and it will play but its jus like a wired remote

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
[QUOTE="chris_uk_83"]

karriston
That's some nice advice. It's weird though. I'd use the black controller with my play and charge kit, it wouldn't charge it. I'd stick it in the white controller, it'd work. Maybe I have a racist battery pack?

Haha that made me laugh.
TOC48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 TOC48
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts

Hey everyone, its been a long time since I have been around here..anyway, I have a black Xbox 360 and I bought the play and charge kit with it. Now, I was off at college for the last few months and when I came back, whenever I plug my xbox 360 controller into the play and charge kit, the red light comes on for a few minutes, then a green light shows up. whenever I unplug the controller from the play and charge kit, it goes dead and wont turn on.. any suggestions?

RandomTask221
All i have heard about the rechargeable packs and play and charge kit is bad news. They always lose the charge and end up holding nothing or hardly anything. I am not a fan of them. I just bought some beast rechargeable energizers. They are packing 2650mah and last more than twice as long as brand new AA batteries.
flipflop63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 flipflop63

To fix this problem plug in your controller (the red light should come on for a few seconds) when the green light comes on unplug the controller and plug it in again, continue this process until the red light stays on. This can take any where from 10-30 times till it works, the reasoning behind this?
Ni-Mh battery's loose 30% charge in this first day with no use, then the charge rate decreases and will completely discharge at room temperature in about 30 days. The problem that you have ran into is that the battery is so slow that it wont except a charge. The capacitance of the battery its self is changing polarity to a near neutral when it reaches such a dead point. By forcing the recharge on the battery over and over again you are giving the battery enough of a charge to allow it to recharge as per normal again.
I hope this helps you and any one else who comes across this problem! got this from an earlier thread and it's worked for me.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
same thing happened to me, so I just started using batteries, the rechargeable ones. they work just as good.
Hi-Ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 Hi-Ed

chris_uk_83
Thanks for this solution to this problem. The controller I rarely used was having this problem. Now the red light is staying on so it appears to be charging.
Hi-Ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 Hi-Ed

To fix this problem plug in your controller (the red light should come on for a few seconds) when the green light comes on unplug the controller and plug it in again, continue this process until the red light stays on. This can take any where from 10-30 times till it works, the reasoning behind this?
Ni-Mh battery's loose 30% charge in this first day with no use, then the charge rate decreases and will completely discharge at room temperature in about 30 days. The problem that you have ran into is that the battery is so slow that it wont except a charge. The capacitance of the battery its self is changing polarity to a near neutral when it reaches such a dead point. By forcing the recharge on the battery over and over again you are giving the battery enough of a charge to allow it to recharge as per normal again.
I hope this helps you and any one else who comes across this problem! got this from an earlier thread and it's worked for me.

flipflop63

That makes sense I guess. Thanks for the info. This solution works great.

BorderLivin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BorderLivin
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts

The black ones are always the lazy ones... just whip it lol

superluigi96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 superluigi96
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

chris_uk_83
My eternal thanks to you, Chris. I had this same problem with three of my batteries, and I was just about to replace them. This technique worked for me. Thank you so much. You saved me a huge wad of cash.
jarvool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jarvool
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

Definitely use the plug/unplug technique. I just tried it right now and worked great! If your considering buying one of these plug and play things i'd recommend just getting 2 sets of rechargeable energizers. these kits are pieces of ****