MS needs to get rid of this Achievement crap.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts

But not on 360, no, just because it would ruin the concept of Achievements, as if it hasn't been ruined already. People are playing crappy games or games with easy Achievemens just to boost a point score which has absoltely no bearing on their real life. What. The. Hell.bohemian_bob

At least those people are actually PLAYING the game...
...and achievements have nothing to do with devs putting unlockables in a game.
People are renting games with easy achievements? Yeah, and look at you. You are downloading saved games so you don't even have to play the game to get any of those unlockables. You whine that people are ruining it, you are one of those people. Sounds like you don't like a challenge.

jchaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 jchaff
Member since 2007 • 1063 Posts
[QUOTE="jchaff"]

[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"]I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.forgot_my_name

Yea, and Sony didnt copy ANYTHING this generation! /scarasm

What does that have to do with anything? Any Sony isn't Insomniac Games. (they're second party or something)

Insomniac is to Sony as Bungie is to Microsoft.

Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts

I don't know about you, but I don't have all the free time in the world. Sometimes when I buy a game I like to download completed save files for it, so I don't have to spend dozens of hours unlocking everything myself. It's called instant gratification.

I'm not talking about cheat codes, either. I'm talking about geniune unlockables, which are hard enough to find on Xbox 360 games because developers seem to think that Achievement points can take their place. It really pisses me off because I can go to GameFAQs right now and download completed saves for just about any PS3 game.

But not on 360, no, just because it would ruin the concept of Achievements, as if it hasn't been ruined already. People are playing crappy games or games with easy Achievemens just to boost a point score which has absoltely no bearing on their real life. What. The. Hell.

And that's my rant, thanks for reading.

bohemian_bob

So you pay $60 then download a saved game so you don't have to play the game. Now that's the stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

TigerFangRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 TigerFangRed
Member since 2005 • 1928 Posts
Uh...I like the achievement system actually and find it gives me a reason to keep playing the game after beating it.
Fingerella69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Fingerella69er
Member since 2004 • 543 Posts
it's just a score i dont see what the whole fuss is about.... I know I'm not the best gamer by any means nor do I want to be video games are not my life I have tons of friends, I always hang out or go out, I just play video games for fun not to build a reputation
Kash_1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#56 Kash_1095
Member since 2005 • 3606 Posts

I don't know about you, but I don't have all the free time in the world. Sometimes when I buy a game I like to download completed save files for it, so I don't have to spend dozens of hours unlocking everything myself. It's called instant gratification.

I'm not talking about cheat codes, either. I'm talking about geniune unlockables, which are hard enough to find on Xbox 360 games because developers seem to think that Achievement points can take their place. It really pisses me off because I can go to GameFAQs right now and download completed saves for just about any PS3 game.

But not on 360, no, just because it would ruin the concept of Achievements, as if it hasn't been ruined already. People are playing crappy games or games with easy Achievemens just to boost a point score which has absoltely no bearing on their real life. What. The. Hell.

bohemian_bob

You should just STOP playing games then.

sk8terdude24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 sk8terdude24
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts

yeah i agree achiements make games funner,more addicting and last longer becuase you just keep going back to that one game just to get all the achievments

but then again i hate achievment whores!

haha

Nick

Avatar image for tylerdurden2621
tylerdurden2621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tylerdurden2621
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts
At first achievements were not that big a deal, but I have grown to really enjoy it. I generally just play through the game and if I get the achievement good, if not then who cares. I will generally go for achievements if its a game I really like. The main thing I like is being able to scroll through the games I have played and keep track of games that I have beat.
the05birdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 the05birdman
Member since 2004 • 615 Posts
Why do you even "play" games if you don't want to take the time to go throught and enjoy it?
Avatar image for kingtahktahkhuk
kingtahktahkhuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 kingtahktahkhuk
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts

bohemian_bob

you shouldnt be playing games

zzyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 zzyang
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts

THat's pretty stupid thing to say, why would you want to download entire saved games? To me that would be like buyin a jugsaw puzzle and giving it to someone else to do. There is no fun in that.APOLLOCJD

100% right.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#62 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Pfft

Achievements give games 10x the replay value, I wouldnt put half the time into my games without them.

troyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 troyo90
Member since 2004 • 90 Posts
play the game and unlock things yourself lazy piece of ****
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
I'm kinda addicted to them and I hate it.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

I hate them because they force you to rent and buy crap games just to keep up with the crowd.

Using my free blockbuster rental on Cars btw...

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts

ummm ya that makes no sense, why would you want to dl complete game saves?

Samurai_Budgie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Samurai_Budgie
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts
I like my achievements thank you very much. Just because you couldn't get all 1000 in Avatar doesn't mean you must complain.
Avatar image for uconnhuskies050
uconnhuskies050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 uconnhuskies050
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts
[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"][QUOTE="jchaff"]

[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"]I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.jchaff

What does that have to do with anything? Any Sony isn't Insomniac Games. (they're second party or something)

exactly. and...second party..? haha

quesadia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 quesadia
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
Really OP what kind of a loser just uses game saves all the time? That's why you PLAY the game. Your instant gratification is just plain cheating.
ocelotcougar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ocelotcougar
Member since 2005 • 2099 Posts
Don't whine about it. I haven't played my PS3 in a while, cause I just got a 360 and thrive on achievement points. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean we need to do away with it. Remember the holocaust?
iamtheleg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 iamtheleg
Member since 2006 • 571 Posts

I hate them because they force you to rent and buy crap games just to keep up with the crowd.

Using my free blockbuster rental on Cars btw...

Fredrick2003x
Wow you don't need to keep up with ****. What pressures you into keeping up with anyone?
YakiiSoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 YakiiSoba
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
cmon, thats such a stupid thing to say. I think achievement points give games a lot more value and actually gives the gamers more hours of game play. The people who just buy crappy games are just stupid and theyre wasting their money. Most people benefit from the points.
rexxpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 rexxpro
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts

bohemian_bob

I agree to a point.

When I converted my account from offline to a live account, I lost all my achievement points as well as my game saves. then I tried to play halo3 online and because I had a score of Zero, ittried to match me with other people with same low scores. It took forever to get a game.

Since I got my 360 at end of august/ start of september, I played it offline, then played halo3 offline for a few weeks and completed it on normal, heroic and ledgendary plus got all the skulls etc.

so yes the achievement points should be optional

DeltoidRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 DeltoidRecon
Member since 2006 • 1163 Posts

People are playing crappy gamesbohemian_bob

And that's why achievments are here to stay because money talks and M$ didn't earn the "$" in 'M$' by ignoring money.

deadFalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deadFalling
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts

bohemian_bob

i disagree, completely

MasterIsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MasterIsHere
Member since 2004 • 34 Posts

Now everyone is simply saying the same things over and over again.

Simply comprehend the importance about "achievement points"...they are simply numbers on the screen. When we play a game in order to get all of them, we then stop playing and go on to another game. It sure does not help game addiction though, but at least people will not feel forced to buy a whole different game simply because the campaign mode was beaten a few times on normal difficulty.

It probably helps video rental companies too...

ChrisThaBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ChrisThaBest
Member since 2007 • 191 Posts
the achievement system is great. it has definetly made me do things in games i would normally never do just to unlock an achievement. fun stuff.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

THat's pretty stupid thing to say, why would you want to download entire saved games? To me that would be like buyin a jugsaw puzzle and giving it to someone else to do. There is no fun in that.APOLLOCJD

i agree 100%

_RA0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 _RA0_
Member since 2007 • 855 Posts
Achievement points are kinda useless or should I say, it is? lol. actually wait, they are kinda useful, like proving how nerdy you are , and how rare you go out enjoying the season :P
SoralinkGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#80 SoralinkGS
Member since 2005 • 3626 Posts
[QUOTE="jchaff"]

[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"]I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.forgot_my_name

even so, I don't understand how achievements are copied from Insomniac games. Resistance came out in 2006, while achievements have been around since 2005. If you mean one of the Ratchet and Clank games on PS2, then alright then because I haven't played any of the latter PS2 R&C games.

Either way, achievements have been around for ages in reality since many games have come with unlockable goodies or "achievements" for doing a certain task like finishing the game or making that almost impossible jump. Microsoft was just the first to make it where your achievements across all games played with Xbox Live functions(read: all Xbox 360 games are required to have this) can be displayed for other gamers online.

Hence another reason why I disagree with topic creator.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
What's the point of downloading another person's save? That's like buying a movie only to watch the last scene.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#82 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
No. Achievement points are my crack spike while enjoying the normal high that is playing the game.
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts
Long live achievements, I wish the other consoles also adopted the achievement system.
forgot_my_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84 forgot_my_name
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts
[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"][QUOTE="jchaff"]

[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"]I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.jchaff

Nah, not as close. But, no offense, that " Yea, and Sony didnt copy ANYTHING this generation! /scarasm" just seemed like a cheap fanboy comment.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#85 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

no offense, that " Yea, and Sony didnt copy ANYTHING this generation! /scarasm" just seemed like a cheap fanboy comment.

forgot_my_name

It may be a cheap comment, but hes not wrong.

every company is copying from eachother.

swizzlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 swizzlar
Member since 2005 • 638 Posts
you say achievements dont hold any real life value but unlockables do riiiiight.
snakehips57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 snakehips57
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts

[QUOTE="APOLLOCJD"]THat's pretty stupid thing to say, why would you want to download entire saved games? To me that would be like buyin a jugsaw puzzle and giving it to someone else to do. There is no fun in that.fmobliv06

i second that. how can anyone get gratification from doing nothing? and who pays $60 for a game to not play it? well, you, apparently.

anyway, the achievements serve to differentiate 360 games from the PS3's. the logic is that if there is a game, say Oblivion, that runs on both systems, the consumer will gravitate towards the 360 edition because by playing through it they can increase their gamerscore.

Third that, I actually like the acheivement system, it gives me more reason to play rhe game after I have completed it, therefore more for my money, on other consoles once you complete a game it goes back on the shelf and collects dust.

And for the original poster - you mentioned people playing easy games for the acheivement points, isn't it really just as bad you downloading completed game saves? You seem to be a bit hypocritical.

My advice to you would be to visit **** and abuse consoles there...

dreadedred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 dreadedred19
Member since 2007 • 1279 Posts

I agree to a point.

When I converted my account from offline to a live account, I lost all my achievement points as well as my game saves. then I tried to play halo3 online and because I had a score of Zero, ittried to match me with other people with same low scores. It took forever to get a game.

rexxpro

actually matchmaking in halo 3 has nothing to do with gamerscore

jchaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 jchaff
Member since 2007 • 1063 Posts
[QUOTE="jchaff"][QUOTE="forgot_my_name"][QUOTE="jchaff"]

Nah, not as close. But, no offense, that " Yea, and Sony didnt copy ANYTHING this generation! /scarasm" just seemed like a cheap fanboy comment.

I just tell the truth. And No, im NOT a fanboy

poisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#90 poisonfire
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts

And plus achievements give the player an incentive to completely finish the game, and to do all the optional tasks that the dev has put into the game.G013M

I agree

Xbox_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Xbox_101
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts
Downloading game files, with all do respect only n00bs do that.
rabidwolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 rabidwolf86
Member since 2004 • 743 Posts
i love the achievement system gives you a reason to replay some old games.
Avatar image for sleepisawesome2
sleepisawesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 sleepisawesome2
Member since 2005 • 1367 Posts
why are so many people posting on this topic
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#94 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts
Achievements was a great idea, thats why titles on the PS3, like Uncharted come with them.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#95 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

For some reason achievements are one of two major pluses the 360 has over the PS3. I thought they were stupid at first, but miss them now that I play my PS3 more often.

bt2404[] - brought to you by TripleTags.com

snakehips57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 snakehips57
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts

Achievements was a great idea, thats why titles on the PS3, like Uncharted come with them.paul265

Hmm, another thin Sony has stolen. The Sixaxis Controllers, Acheivements, what next? They just need other peoples ideas to sell their lame ass **** products.

dreadedred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 dreadedred19
Member since 2007 • 1279 Posts

For some reason achievements are one of two major pluses the 360 has over the PS3. I thought they were stupid at first, but miss them now that I play my PS3 more often.

btaylor2404

what is the other one? just curious, it just makes me wonder when you say something like that.

xXtheabombXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 xXtheabombXx
Member since 2004 • 775 Posts
Achievements are great they provide incentive to play games differently. If it wasn't for achievements I probably wouldn't have played throught Mass Effect as an Adept if it wouldn't have provided me with those wonderful points, and it ended up as my favorite playthrough.
NineDaysWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 NineDaysWonder
Member since 2007 • 357 Posts

this is the dumbest topic i have ever seen.

A guy is complaining because he is forced to play a game he buys?

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#100 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

I've always been a PS fan, never bought the org. Xbox. But I just tried a 360 out at best buy for kicks and loved the controllers. Bought it on the spot. Then waited until August tobuy a PS3 because I liked the360 so much and did'nt see the need. Still think the 360 controllers are better, much better. But I've had 5 360's have the RROD, so I've started buying games and playing more of the PS3. I like them both, but would rather play games on the 360 if I could keep one running.