Most powerful scene in Gears 2? *SPOILERS*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

I have always loved Gears of War franchise, I would go as far as saying it's easily one of the premier franchises in the industry today. I loved the first Gears, even though it's story was pretty straightforward, and while I enjoyed the characters I thought they didn't have a lot of depth behind them, but Gears 2 story is a lot better, but the scene where Dom finds Maria and Marcus says... "Dom.... It's okay", in my opinion was the most powerful scene-- you never saw a side of Marcus like that, or Dom. It kinda added more dimension to the characters-- and I am always up for character development in games, it makes things more interesting.

I'm pretty happy that Epic decided to work on the story albeit it's not the greatest story ever told but it's great. Also showing that emotional side of those huge bulky and violent dudes was pretty cool. Anyone else think the same?

EDIT: Spoiler heading added to topic - Aspro. 

jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts
Pretty much any scene involving Dom and his wife was very powerful. Especiallly right in the beginning, after the first mission, where he gets all mad.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

Id have to agree. They nailed that scene right on the head, especially when *spoilers* Dom decided put his wife out of her misery. The whole entire part about how the Locust take prisoners was pretty powerful, especially when Tai killed himself.

Epic really went all out this time inorder to prove to us that the Locust are just like the humans. I mean, they fight wars against themselves, they have advanced in technology despite being "monsters", and they even have animals like the reavers and brumaks. So in essence they are exactly as evil as the humans are and there sort of is no good or evil side in this war..

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
i'd have to say just off the top of my head that part when Dom has to do the thing to his wife is a dam heart wrenching scene :) THAT whole part is pretty crazy....
sparda012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 sparda012
Member since 2006 • 2045 Posts
You might want to add spoilers to the title because some people will get mad. Anyways i thought the ending and the scene with Dom and his wife were powerfull.
B1GFreakN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 B1GFreakN
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

I thought that was a cool scene too, but I was a bit confused. When they first rescued her, she looked normal, but then after a minute she was that ugly thing. So, did she change in front of them, or did Dom just miss her so much that he saw her for what he remembered her as and then the image had to soak in before he realized what she looked like?

That was a little confusing. Either way that was a sad part of the game, and a good scene.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

I thought that was a cool scene too, but I was a bit confused. When they first rescued her, she looked normal, but then after a minute she was that ugly thing. So, did she change in front of them, or did Dom just miss her so much that he saw her for what he remembered her as and then the image had to soak in before he realized what she looked like?

That was a little confusing. Either way that was a sad part of the game, and a good scene.

B1GFreakN

She looked like that because it was what Dom wanted to see, but in reality she looked like a concentration camp survivor

vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

Id have to agree. They nailed that scene right on the head, especially when *spoilers* Dom decided put his wife out of her misery. The whole entire part about how the Locust take prisoners was pretty powerful, especially when Tai killed himself.

Epic really went all out this time inorder to prove to us that the Locust are just like the humans. I mean, they fight wars against themselves, they have advanced in technology despite being "monsters", and they even have animals like the reavers and brumaks. So in essence they are exactly as evil as the humans are and there sort of is no good or evil side in this war..

Almighty-mints

That's interesting that you brought that up about the Locust, because it never really ran across my mind until you mentioned it.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Yeah that whole scene with Dom and Marcus and how right when Jack was opening it and Dom was like, "I can't believe it, we finally found her Marcus" and then the rest happens. Pretty heavy stuff. Also the scene at the end where you think Anya died but she came out, never realised I cared about Anya...
B1GFreakN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 B1GFreakN
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

She looked like that because it was what Dom wanted to see, but in reality she looked like a concentration camp survivor

Almighty-mints

That's kinda what I thought, thanks for clearing that up.

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
I'm not cold or heartless but there's no need for emotion in gears, its all about machoness for me and scratching a few grubs, the whole Maria thing was a bit much IMO. But id didn't bother me too much.
KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
I'm not cold or heartless but there's no need for emotion in gears, its all about machoness for me and scratching a few grubs, the whole Maria thing was a bit much IMO. But id didn't bother me too much.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
[spoiler] Well , the scene when dom meets his wife....its was a really powerful scene and gave me goosebumps because not only was it sad but the music was perfect and man...it gave me shivers, the music in Geow 2 is amazing ...its something out of the dark knight or something .. its epic. [/spoiler]
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Yeah the torture scenes were something amazing, especially for a game. Stories are taking the next step aswell with some more emotion, really good story in total.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

Almighty-mints

You can still argue that the humans are "good" simply because they are humans, and we are humans, and that we should care about us and not them, and the Locust are threatening our interests, therefore they are evil.

Get what I'm trying to say here? Your side is the good side. :P

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
I'm not cold or heartless but there's no need for emotion in gears, its all about machoness for me and scratching a few grubs, the whole Maria thing was a bit much IMO. But id didn't bother me too much.KingKoop
agreed, while it was well done overall, it came out a little heavy-handed. The player didn't have enough time to actually get to know Dom and his wife, for what it is, I'm glad epic didn't have 100% macho story arcs and tried to add a little something else. I honestly saw the results from a mile away, it was kind of predictable. But, still not a bad scene at all.
snowman711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 snowman711
Member since 2008 • 187 Posts
Yeah the maria scene was pretty disturbing and powerful one of the first times a videogame actually shows strong emotions(ffcc also did it well), but another powerful scene was when tai killed himself that was pretty powerful it gives u a sence on how realistic war can be on tough men
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
[QUOTE="Almighty-mints"]

Are you kidding? Putting people in tiny torture chambers and breaking them, makes the Locust pretty evil in my book.
theunloved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 theunloved
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts
I agree. That scene was quite powerful. And for me, it made me hate the Locust even more. Really wanted to wipe them all out. Reading more into the story and such, how entire families were destroyed and torn apart, and just to add that scene in. No better way to do that I think.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
one of the first times a videogame actually shows strong emotionssnowman711
Your kidding right? How many games have you played?
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
[QUOTE="snowman711"]one of the first times a videogame actually shows strong emotionsvendettared468

The MGS [Metal Gear Solid] Series says hello , snowman711.
SereneKhaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SereneKhaos
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts
[QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="Almighty-mints"]

Are you kidding? Putting people in tiny torture chambers and breaking them, makes the Locust pretty evil in my book.

Don't forget that we basically did the exact same thing with slavery...That can never be truly erased
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
When Dom kills his wife.
ianp_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ianp_91
Member since 2004 • 2376 Posts
that whole scene reminded me of the book "of mice and men" putting maria out of her misery so it wont be so bad if he left her alive. pretty powerful..
mr__gameboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mr__gameboy
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts
i thought that scene was pretty cold-hearted, seeing as there was an elixir of life on the table behind them, but Dom was like "peace ugly". BLAM!!!
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#26 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
Pretty emotional scene and it is great now that we know more about the characters to make us care more about them in Gears 3.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toriko42
[QUOTE="vendettared468"][QUOTE="snowman711"]one of the first times a videogame actually shows strong emotionsXxSTILL_BORNxX

The MGS [Metal Gear Solid] Series says hello , snowman711.

The many many games before MGS says hello Snowman
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toriko42
that whole scene reminded me of the book "of mice and men" putting maria out of her misery so it wont be so bad if he left her alive. pretty powerful..
. ianp_91
Heh...that lenny
RmanForLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 RmanForLife
Member since 2006 • 646 Posts
The scene between Dom and his wife was pretty heavy. On a side note, does anyone else think that theyve nailed the commercials? The song they play during the commercial when they are entering the grind lifts plays with your emotions pretty well.
jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
The scene where he finally found Maria was amazing. I felt that some of the voice work in other scenes revolving around Dom left something to be desired.
gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts
The scene were Dom had to put Maria out of missery
XTREMEGAMER5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 XTREMEGAMER5
Member since 2004 • 974 Posts
The mario scene was good but when Tai killed himself was better
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

The mario scene was good but when Tai killed himself was betterXTREMEGAMER5
\

yet it was really sad when mario stood on top of the pipe and went to spiral down.  the last words i heard from him were, 'here we go, yahoo', havent heard from him since :cry:

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

Its great to see them actually want to do a story in Gears. However, I just didn't care to much for Dom's wife or Tai.

The whole Tai scene was a joke to me. It was like really? I didn't even know the guy! Dom's story was sad. I did feel bad for the guy. I just felt like it was something that was in the way of the game. I would of cared more if they had a heavier story about it in the first one.

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

[QUOTE="XTREMEGAMER5"]The mario scene was good but when Tai killed himself was betterchaoscougar1

\

yet it was really sad when mario stood on top of the pipe and went to spiral down. the last words i heard from him were, 'here we go, yahoo', havent heard from him since :cry:

R.I.P. Buddy... :(

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Dom's story was sad. I did feel bad for the guy.

Childeater10
I didn't. After his wife is dead, he just continues as usual. He says "I want to kill them all" one or two times, but that's about it. I expected him to be somewhat more sad or angry, but he never mentions her again and keeps joking around with the guys. That's why I laugh at remarks about how great the character development is. It doesn't exist.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
The COG speech was pretty sick
Avatar image for 2headedhawaiian
2headedhawaiian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 2headedhawaiian
Member since 2005 • 1531 Posts
[QUOTE="KingKoop"]I'm not cold or heartless but there's no need for emotion in gears, its all about machoness for me and scratching a few grubs, the whole Maria thing was a bit much IMO. But id didn't bother me too much.grafkhun
agreed, while it was well done overall, it came out a little heavy-handed. The player didn't have enough time to actually get to know Dom and his wife, for what it is, I'm glad epic didn't have 100% macho story arcs and tried to add a little something else. I honestly saw the results from a mile away, it was kind of predictable. But, still not a bad scene at all.

Add me to this list of likeminded gamers. The "story" here was obviously better than the first Gears, but how hard can that be? I think we're still giving games too much of a free pass in the plot department. The whole Dom's wife bit was definitely calculated and as subtle as a sledgehammer, accompanied by bad lines and somewhat cringe-inducing voiceovers. I appreciate what Epic was trying to do with emotion and whatnot, and I think Gears 2 is one of the best games of the year, no doubt, but to call any scene in this thing "powerful" is somewhat preposterous. I think the collective recorded history of mankind would agree.
Hitchy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hitchy9
Member since 2007 • 2054 Posts

The COG speech was pretty sickSSCyborg

Yeah, I agree. Chairman Prescott's speech was awesome.

maccer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 maccer101
Member since 2005 • 4257 Posts
well there's not much to pick from :lol: so the most obvious one