Mega Man 9 Gets A 8.6 From IGN, Outrageous Scoring

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I know some people follow IGN for reviews but once again they show their true colors.

They give the graphics a 3 yet those are the graphics the devs were going for and did them perfectly. It's not like they were trying to make it look lifelike and failed. They were going for great looking 8 bit and did it perfectly.

Here's the review...

Knowledge is power!

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
Are you saying that 8.6 is too low in your opinion? It seems reasonable to me - I think most games are rated too highly. 8.6 is a great score, and one that would put a game on my list.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#3 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I don't think it really effected their final score but I think they are right. I don't care what a developer is going for, it doesn't look good compared to other arcade titles. That's fine, they even said that, it's like a true old school Mega Man game, and that is great. But it doesn't make it look any better when compared to other titles. You want them to give it a 10 in graphics because it looks just like a NES game? If they did that how would they rate all the other arcade games graphics scores, especially games that come out that are brand new? Should games like Castle Crashers be given a 10 in graphics because it looks better than Mega Man 9 or should it be given a low score because they weren't trying to make it look old school.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaysonguy

Are you saying that 8.6 is too low in your opinion? It seems reasonable to me - I think most games are rated too highly. 8.6 is a great score, and one that would put a game on my list.grayoldwolf

What they scored the graphics

I don't think it really effected their final score but I think they are right. I don't care what a developer is going for, it doesn't look good compared to other arcade titles. That's fine, they even said that, it's like a true old school Mega Man game, and that is great. But it doesn't make it look any better when compared to other titles. You want them to give it a 10 in graphics because it looks just like a NES game? If they did that how would they rate all the other arcade games graphics scores, especially games that come out that are brand new? Should games like Castle Crashers be given a 10 in graphics because it looks better than Mega Man 9 or should it be given a low score because they weren't trying to make it look old school.

Legolas_Katarn

That's the thing. It should be what the designers were going for.

All games don't look the same and more importantly all games aren't trying to look the same.
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
If the graphics are ugly, the graphics are ugly, intentional or not.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#6 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Yeah but they don't average it, they rate it in terms of graphics whores and stuff
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Yeah but they don't average it, they rate it in terms of graphics whores and stuffToriko42
Maybe, but I doubt any of the people that would be in the market for this game are going to care about the graphics all that much. I certainly don't. But if anything, I'm more inclined to get it on the Wii since I've already points ready for it to be bought.
zero0131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zero0131
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
how much is this game going to cost though, cuz i know im getting it the day it comes out
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Legolas_Katarn

how much is this game going to cost though, cuz i know im getting it the day it comes outzero0131

I think it is 800 MS Points, 1000 Wii Points, or $9.99 on the PSN.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

What do you think the graphics should have been rated?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

Palantas

From what I've seen they're a solid 8

I haven't played the game so I'm only going by screenshots. Now it is possible that the screenshots shown are the very best in the game and the rest looks awful but I doubt it.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Although I can agree with the score they gave on the graphics, but personally I like the style they had chose.
jazilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 jazilla
Member since 2005 • 2320 Posts
lol people getting mad at others opinions. comedy. opinions are like buttcracks, everyone has one.
Avatar image for brandonthesaint
brandonthesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 brandonthesaint
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
I'm totally with Legolas_Katarn on this one.
Toro_Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Toro_Nev
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
i agree with jayson
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

It's a meaningless score inside a meaningless score. It's the review text that matters, and in this case it speaks much louder than any of the scores. In fairness, the game doesn't look good compared to other games in the same category, which is what they were going for obviously, but they have to base the scores on other games at the time.

It didn't affect the overall score though, so there is no problem.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

In fairness, the game doesn't look good compared to other games in the same category

Caddy06_88

You don't think the game looks good compared to other 8 bit games?

I think it's some of the best 8 bit work we've seen

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

Jaysonguy

We aren't in the 8-bit era now though. If the game had come out all those years ago, then it would be a great looking game, but it didn't, it came out now when it's not a good looking game.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Caddy06_88

We aren't in the 8-bit era now though. If the game had come out all those years ago, then it would be a great looking game, but it didn't, it came out now when it's not a good looking game.

No, it's still good looking today. It's just not as technically proficient as what's possible this gen.

That's the art style they're looking for.

If we go the route you're talking about then any game that is not realistic looking should be graded lower in graphics. Games that are cell shaded and the like would be rated 5 or lower.

If Mega Man was supposed to look like a current gen game then yes. The low score would hold.

Also IGN reviews Virtual Console releases on the Wii. Those games are reviewed from the standpoint on how they hold up today when they're released.

Mega Man 1 and 2 got 8 and 8.5. That's IGN taking into account that they're released today.

IGN's score for Mega Man 9 and even their description of how they see the graphics are incorrect.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts
I don't care what rating it got... It's Mega Man 9, give me give me give me!!!!
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="Caddy06_88"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

No, it's still good looking today. It's just not as technically proficient as what's possible this gen.

If we go the route you're talking about then any game that is not realistic looking should be graded lower in graphics. Games that are cell shaded and the like would be rated 5 or lower.

If Mega Man was supposed to look like a current gen game then yes. The low score would hold.

Also IGN reviews Virtual Console releases on the Wii. Those games are reviewed from the standpoint on how they hold up today when they're released.

Mega Man 1 and 2 got 8 and 8.5. That's IGN taking into account that they're released today.

IGN's score for Mega Man 9 and even their description of how they see the graphics are incorrect.

That's the problem: Mega Man 1 and 2 were reviewed as VC games, Mega Man 9 is reviewed as a WiiWare, XBLA and PSN game, so there is no way in hell this IGN reviewer will go easy on the graphics. It's obvious that they're comparing the graphics to other games you can download like Castle Crashers and Braid, and the main reason why Capcom picked 8-bit graphics is because they personally liked it over the future installments like Mega Man 7 and 8. They could had easily use Mega Man 7 or 8 graphics and the score for graphics would be higher. But since it captures the graphics perfectly back in the old days, lets sit back and enjoy the game while we could care less about what that IGN reviewer scored, plus he's probably a current generation graphics whore anyways.
guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
Regardless of what they scored the graphics, the developers did what they intended, it's a really fun game that reminds me of the originals which is beyond awesome in my case.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Mark Bozon (the guy who reviewed it) has already said on numerous occasions that when they review games they have to compair the graphics to other games on the system. In this case he compaired it to other WiiWare and XBLA games and it doesn't look as good as those and they happen to be 8 bit. That's why he gave them a 3. Once again, do some research Jayson.
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

Jaysonguy

From what I've seen they're a solid 8

I haven't played the game so I'm only going by screenshots. Now it is possible that the screenshots shown are the very best in the game and the rest looks awful but I doubt it.

Facepalm OMG you posted a topic to say this lol

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mitu123
Mark Bozon (the guy who reviewed it) has already said on numerous occasions that when they review games they have to compair the graphics to other games on the system. In this case he compaired it to other WiiWare and XBLA games and it doesn't look as good as those and they happen to be 8 bit. That's why he gave them a 3. Once again, do some research Jayson.PlasmaBeam44
That's basically what I just said.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts

[QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]Are you saying that 8.6 is too low in your opinion? It seems reasonable to me - I think most games are rated too highly. 8.6 is a great score, and one that would put a game on my list.Jaysonguy

What they scored the graphics

Legolas_Katarn

That's the thing. It should be what the designers were going for.

All games don't look the same and more importantly all games aren't trying to look the same.

That makes no sense. In almost every game the graphics in the game are OBVIOUSLY the graphics the developer intended. So, every game should get a 10? Or are you just biased for Mega Man 9? Obviously the latter. Pure retro fanboyism as far as I'm concerned.

squall_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 squall_83
Member since 2003 • 820 Posts
don't you guys find it a little funny that the graphics got a 3, but the sound WHICH IS EQUALLY AS INFERIOR got 8.5?!?!!
Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts
The thing is... It's someone's opinion. If you enjoyed the old school Mega Man games a lot then im pretty damn sure you going to like MM9.
lil_bad_boy561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 lil_bad_boy561
Member since 2005 • 97 Posts
[QUOTE="Caddy06_88"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

there a differance there megaman 1 and 2 were made back when 8 bit was main streem, that would of still be taken in to account to there are other games made for the same preice range that look better even though its what capcon were going for, megaman 9 was not,

stop beging a megaman fan boy and complaning about what it getting a 3 for graphics it still score exelent and is an exelentgame so build a bridge and get over it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mitu123
We're still talking about this?
da_shooter_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 da_shooter_19
Member since 2007 • 214 Posts

If the graphics are ugly, the graphics are ugly, intentional or not.karriston
i agree

paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 paulokoenigkam
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Caddy06_88

This is the reason why I don't have a WII...

I agree with you man, today's rule is to get closest possible to photorealism. Megaman is supposed to have a 2D look, so why not make High Resolution 2D graphics? (Like the new The King of Fighters game) Or exotic graphics like Street Fighter 4? (Come on, capcom made SF4, they have the technology!!!), or even like the new Dragon Ball Z games.

They had many graphical opportunities to do this, while keeping the game's charm, and failed at picking 8bit.

Whoever gave that game anything high grade, shouldn't review anything else besides retro games. The graphics and gameplay SHOULD NOT be rated like this, it's 2008, not 1988.

I'd love to play Megaman 9 even as a sidescrooler, but 8bit nowdays... is just plain lazy.

I'm sure megaman 9 is a great game, just sell it 20 years AGO...

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
does it really matter? oh noes ign gave graphics a bad score, big deal, if you think it looks amazing then so be it.
paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 paulokoenigkam

I'm ok with really old games remakes (though I'd never buy one, I can understand it)

but a brand new game that's so old in terms of graphics and gameplay? count me out.

Example: geometry wars is a retro game, but it looks good, and it has a much more evolved gameplay from the old "asteroid" days

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jaysonguy

We're still talking about this?mitu123

Yeah I'm a little surprised too, probably with the release this week and all....

As far as this thread the complaint is 100% valid

To prove my point even more the sound for the game got an 8.5, for the sound review and I quote....

"Sound
The throwback, 8-bit riffs are c-l-a-s-s-i-c. Awesome music. Again, dated, but by design."

So the sound is dated but by design and it gets a high mark

The graphics are dated but by design and they get a low mark?

The IGN review makes no sense whatsoever. Know that old saying "throw 100 monkeys in a room with 100 typewriters and they'll eventually write all the works of Shakespeare"?

Well there's only 99 monkeys left, one got bumped up to game reviews.

battleroyalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 battleroyalex
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

Is this whole thread kind of braindead?.. so your saying its ok for IGN not to compare live games to real titles and score 2D graphics above 8 (that have been smothed out and look even worse) But when an 8-bit game is released its ok to give the graphics a 3 and the 8-bit sound an 8? I think the graphics look great, they arent jagged, poorly drawn. They should be rating the game as it is. An 8 bit game, it's not an 8-bit game trying to be more. For 8-bit gfx they are great.

Castle Crashers gfx derserve a 4, Braid derserves a 5 in graphics. If you were compare to new games..

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#41 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
The review looks fine to me. The graphics are a three compared to games today. Plus it still got a 8+ score so why do you even care, besides it's an opinion for a reason.
Oscgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Oscgro
Member since 2003 • 550 Posts

can anyone who has downloaded this say if the d pad holds up well during game. I remember loving mega man on the original gameboy :D but you needed some precision movement/timing

does th 360 d pad work well in this respect

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jaysonguy

can anyone who has downloaded this say if the d pad holds up well during game. I remember loving mega man on the original gameboy :D but you needed some precision movement/timing

Oscgro

D pad? Kinda poop

Thumbstick is pretty awesome though, that's what I've been using.

Oscgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Oscgro
Member since 2003 • 550 Posts
[QUOTE="Oscgro"]

Jaysonguy

D pad? Kinda poop

thanks - its the only thing thats held me back so far - I thought that the thumbstick may not be responsive enough

EpsilonChi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EpsilonChi
Member since 2002 • 383 Posts

Legolas_Katarn

Preach, my sentiments exactly.

paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 paulokoenigkam

Is this whole thread kind of braindead?.. so your saying its ok for IGN not to compare live games to real titles and score 2D graphics above 8 (that have been smothed out and look even worse) But when an 8-bit game is released its ok to give the graphics a 3 and the 8-bit sound an 8? I think the graphics look great, they arent jagged, poorly drawn. They should be rating the game as it is. An 8 bit game, it's not an 8-bit game trying to be more. For 8-bit gfx they are great.

Castle Crashers gfx derserve a 4, Braid derserves a 5 in graphics. If you were compare to new games..

battleroyalex

Megaman 9 is a new game. It's NOT a remake, or relaunch.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="Oscgro"]

Jaysonguy

D pad? Kinda poop

Right. Of course the D-Pad doesn't work well. Why do people care? Is there a problem with the thumbstick? I beat the first eight bosses pretty easily using it. I don't see why people don't want to get the 360 version because of the D-Pad.