Mass Effect or Fallout 3? Which do you prefer??

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stucazzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Stucazzo
Member since 2002 • 567 Posts

What do you think is the better Action/RPG?  Mass Effect or Fallout 3?

I think they're both great games, however, I give the edge to Mass Effect as it's combat engine is a little bit better in real-time.  VATS in Fallout 3 is great, but it's not real time either.  Plus, the story in Mass Effect is better.

Just my opinion.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I liked Mass effects story more but i preferred Fallout 3's combat and exploration. I felt like i visited the same planet 40 times in Mass effect. If i had to choose i'd go with Mass effect because it reminded me of KOTOR which is my favorite RPG.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
i haven't played fallout 3 yet but i'm sure i will like that better, ME is still awesome though. My disk has been broken for a while now and i got 2 borrow a friends and c if i can install it 2 my HDD and still play. there is a huge indent in the outer ring so the disk can't spin ne more.
Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
Fallout 3 spanks Mass Effects botty, I've just been playing Mass Effect today (after finishing Fallout 3) and it's just not as good I still think KOTOR is better than Mass Effect personally although all 3 games are great :)
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
that's what i disliked about Mass Effect. All those side quest planets seemed exactly the same minus the different colors. You would go 2 one that was blue, find some junk, kill a bunch of guys and leave then you would go 2 one that was red or something and do the same thing but maybe this time the guys would b in a building or something.
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
I liked Mass Effect's story better but Fallout had more freedom to it.
darkghost75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darkghost75
Member since 2007 • 1584 Posts
fallout 3 is a better game
Flame_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Flame_Killa
Member since 2007 • 534 Posts
Story goes to Mass Effect Gameplay, Defiantly Fallout 3.
Stevie_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Stevie_Q
Member since 2006 • 2011 Posts
I liked Mass Effect much better
CyberElite85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CyberElite85
Member since 2005 • 276 Posts
Mass Effect is way better.
Stoner-Pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stoner-Pimp
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts
Mass Effect for me aswell, i do like Fallout 3 alot BUT i do enjoy playing Mass Effect far more.
strahd01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 strahd01
Member since 2003 • 2440 Posts
Were is this trilogy Bioware promised? they said all three would be on 360 not the next generation. Your running out of time Bioware!
remmitanceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 remmitanceman
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
I liked Mass effects story more but i preferred Fallout 3's combat and exploration. I felt like i visited the same planet 40 times in Mass effect. If i had to choose i'd go with Mass effect because it reminded me of KOTOR which is my favorite RPG.craigalan23
ditto
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Mass Effect, Fallout 3 is great but they screwed up some aspects of character creation in the cross over from Oblivion with the low level cap and all skills being developed from leveling not from playing. Mass Effect had a more developed and interesting story and more fun gameplay that wasn't hindered in the slightest by how you built your character.
psychosurfer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psychosurfer10
Member since 2005 • 784 Posts
fallout 3 because i said so
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Another one of these ME or FO3 threads.. and I will say it again, BOTH.
TheBeanscout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheBeanscout
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
KOTOR. is the best.
2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts

longevity - fallout 3 for sure. it can last you up to 60+ hours, as for ME only 15 hours for me
Story - I think ME had a better story, you actually feel attached to the characters. and the emotions that goes through you is indescribable

It all depends what you want, story or longevity. 

as for freedom/gameplay/dialog, Fallout 3 is my pick

kramer0024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 kramer0024
Member since 2008 • 179 Posts
I absolutely HATED Mass Effect, should i get Fallout 3?
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Fallout 3. Mass Effect has a better and more interesting story but Fallout 3 just plays better and it a lot more fun.
fracot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 fracot
Member since 2006 • 1278 Posts

Mass Effect for me but they are both good games.

probsty6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 probsty6
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts
fallout 3 the greatest game ever
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts
One more vote for Fallout 3. :)
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#24 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts
mass effect for sure
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts
I liked ME better just becuase of the story
Avatar image for AnotherMulligan
AnotherMulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AnotherMulligan
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts
still haven't beaten mass effect, but i got to say fallout 3 seems better. maybe i'm missing something. how much game do i have left if i'm getting ready to go to the MU relay?
jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

Let's point out that the settings are different. ME is sci-fi & FO3 is post-apocalypse. Which setting do you like better?

In ME, it seems that you have more than enough resources to get through the mission.  The missions are known & technology & people/places are abundant.

In FO3, resources are scarce & you have to manage them wisely.  Everything is mostly unknown & mysterious. In fact, growing up in the post-apocalypse would basically be a puzzle of trying to figure out what civilization was like before it destroyed itself.

I've finished ME & I've been playing FO3 lately (well up until I got mah new RROD last Saturday) & currently I don't have any feeling that I need to go play ME again, or instead of, FO3.  ME also doesn't have the pleasantly addictive VATS system & gore isn't as much a factor in ME as it is for FO3. Also, the clothing style for FO3 is creepier (the Raider garbs) than ME.

I'm a big fan of RPGs but if you put both of these games in front of me at the same time, I would choose FO3 everytime. But I bought Fallout 1 & 2 when they were released so I do have a bias towards the post-apocalypse genre.

Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts
I've played both games, and I have to say that Mass Effect is infinitely better than Fallout 3. Then again, I thought Fallout 3 was just absolutely horrible. The only thing I liked about it was the VAT targeting thing. If ME had that, it'd be flawless.
roflcoptor1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 roflcoptor1989
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts
FAllout 3
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I like the shooting more in Mass Effect and I think its story has a more serious tone and there were always dialog options that felt like me.

Fallout 3 is a really good game, but its like the game doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or jokey.  The dialog is corny alot of times, i've heard the same voices over and over and over again, and I never see dialog options that feel like me.  Everything is either super goody two shoes or over the top homicidal jackass.  There is zero middle ground.

Both games are alot of fun though and i'd give them A's easily. ME gets the edge though.  The only edge I can give F3 is that its sidequest blow ME out of the water, and the game world is massive.  But it hasn't pulled me in the way ME did.  With ME I was dying to play it and find out what was gonna happen next.  F3 is more like a game I can put down for a while then come back and still enjoy it as much.  I don't have a drive to complete the story like ME, but I do enjoy being in the gameworld and just walking around and seeing whats gonna happen next. 

jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

I like the shooting more in Mass Effect and I think its story has a more serious tone and there were always dialog options that felt like me.

Fallout 3 is a really good game, but its like the game doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or jokey.  The dialog is corny alot of times, i've heard the same voices over and over and over again, and I never see dialog options that feel like me.  Everything is either super goody two shoes or over the top homicidal jackass.  There is zero middle ground.

Both games are alot of fun though and i'd give them A's easily. ME gets the edge though.  The only edge I can give F3 is that its sidequest blow ME out of the water, and the game world is massive.  But it hasn't pulled me in the way ME did.  With ME I was dying to play it and find out what was gonna happen next.  F3 is more like a game I can put down for a while then come back and still enjoy it as much.  I don't have a drive to complete the story like ME, but I do enjoy being in the gameworld and just walking around and seeing whats gonna happen next. 

Senor_Kami

So what do you mean by "felt like me" for ME?  The choices were Good (top), Neutral (middle), & Evil (bottom). I'm guessing that you liked choosing from the bottom of the list. Anyone can do that. In fact, my second play through of ME was just choosing the bottom list for everything.

It seems to me you would like FO3 more if you liked the evil tree because you get to blow people's heads off & other body parts. ME doesn't have this kind of system.  Actually watching the goremongous violence in FO3 is one of the satisfying parts of the system.  I think the comedic parts of the conversation in FO3 is falling in line with the first two FO games.

moobusta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 moobusta
Member since 2003 • 417 Posts
So far I like Fallout better. Love the exploration and gathering old junk to make wepons.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
Were is this trilogy Bioware promised? they said all three would be on 360 not the next generation. Your running out of time Bioware!strahd01
Are you srsly? If the current gen (360) was running out of time, NXE probably wouldn't been made. Too big an investment.
TheRaven17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheRaven17
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

I have to say Fallout 3. I was really dissapointed with ME, and actually I have not been pleased with what they have done since BG KotOR. ME was still great but it didn't live up to the standard that was set forth when it was first anounced. Lets compare the different aspects of both games:

Combat/RPG Elements: Fallout 3 had some very good RPG elements, I loved the perks, they were so cool and unique and you had to play the game multiple times to try out everthing. VATS was cool, had a very cinematic gameplay feel to it. And the wespons and looks were alot better than ME (Plasma Rifle and Tesla armor just looked sick). ME though did have a very nice clasic RPG feel to it. The different clases were cool and the gameplay was amazing in it's own unique way.

Winner: Tie

Main Story: Fallout 3 had a good story, alot better then what I expected given how sub-par Oblivion was. I had a few "Oh Snap!" moments that just felt really really cool. Also I had no idea what to expect, lots of suprises and an ending that felt like a good ending to this particular chapter. No cliff hangers, the entire world wasn't wrapped up but the game was supposed to be about DC and as an isolated chapter it felt just right. ME however didn't really give me any "Oh snap!" moments, the story was very good but it was almost exactly what I expected. Given the previews and reading the book everything pretty much went as planned. I was also dissapointed by the lack of academics in the game. IN the previews I read about a year and a half before the game came out Bio-Ware was promissing a grant masterpiece that touched on very deep real life scientific issues such as the universe as a whole and dark matter and dark energy. None of that was really touched upon. The game just kind of felt like a brief prologue to a bigger picture, not nearly as epic as I was hoping. Also the ending was unsatisfying, none of the big questions were really answered. A good game should make you think "Ah man that was good I want to take that in a bit more or go back and play it again" not "I can't wait until the next one comes out so that maybe I will actually get a bit more info on the story". But compared to Fallout the ME story does get major points for being significantly more epic.

Winner: Fallout (Just barely though, I mean really barely, might even call this a tie)

Side Quests: No question, ME's side quests were aweful. Same damn square mile of land 100 times over. I tried to play the game through with every possible side quest and getting every side item. Horrible experience, burnt out about 60% through and haven't picked up the game since. Fallout 3's, however, were amazing. Very different, sometimes even better then the main story. Such a rewarding experience playing through them all.

Winner: Fallout (By a long shot).

Graphics and Art Direction: Fallout had more detailed models I felt. Also I never really liked the texturing in ME, too many times there would be massive single colored objects on the screen, IDK just a beef of mine. Some of the environments though were great in ME, I really think ME had the better art design.

Winner: Tie (Fallout for Graphics ME for Art Design)

Replayability: Both had great replayability. Both had a good/evil path to chose from. fallout had better side quests to go back and try and get done after you finish the game but ME had more clases to chose from. Tough choice.

Winner: Tie

In the end both games are amazing in their own way. They are both fit perfectly into their own niche but I still give Fallout the nod because in the end the game felt more complete. It set the peramiters of the game, stuck to it and gave a great complete experience relative to what it was trying to accomplish. I felt really satisfied after playing fallout 3. Mass effect though felt like it wasn't done, like always it's promised epicness fell a bit short of what was originally stated it would include and I couldn't shake the feeling that this was just something that was put out to keep money flowing until the next game. I know it's supposed to be a trilogy but it seems like developers keep using that as an excuse to atone for the expectations that fell flat on the first game "It will get better, this was just the first game, the story will get better and move forward more in future games". Hopefully it will but that doesn't excuse what happened in the first game.

Darthdaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darthdaver
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
fallout 3 no doubt.
Lucas_Simms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lucas_Simms
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
fallout 3 hands down if any who says otherwise are wrong
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
Mass effect by a long shot, fallout was good just not that good
the3game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the3game
Member since 2003 • 66 Posts
they are both great games! i love them both
sdxermacx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sdxermacx
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
I would chose fallout beacue i was a fan of KOTOR (Knights Of The Old Republic) and i was very disapointed about mass affect. When i beat fallout i felt that I got more of my moneys worth out of fallout but its up to you.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
Fallout 3 all the way!
DohBoy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DohBoy122
Member since 2006 • 429 Posts
there's just something about mass efect that i don't like, i can't get myself to finish the game a second time, i just find it boring now and more of hassle than anything else. i really like fallout and the real amount of freedom and a lot more extra fun stuff to do than in mass effect
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts
Mass Effect, Fallout 3 depressed the crap out of me. I don't know why.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
Fallout 3 but Mass Effect looked good
brettchalupa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 brettchalupa
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
This is a very tough choice. I love Fallout 3's setting and atmosphere of the Wasteland, but graphically I prefer Mass Effect. Personally I would pick Fallout 3.
H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

i havent played fallout

so my opinion might not matter to u

but ME is in my top 5 best games ever made - just the story alone was worth the buy, even with all the graphical hiccups

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
I preferred KOTOR to either of these titles, if they upgrade the graphic for 360 and re-release it I would probably play it all over again...

I think they're both great games, however, I give the edge to Mass Effect as it's combat engine is a little bit better in real-time.  VATS in Fallout 3 is great, but it's not real time either.  Plus, the story in Mass Effect is better.

Just my opinion.

Stucazzo
LostSoul781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LostSoul781
Member since 2003 • 1630 Posts
It's hard for me to say really, I have been a fan of Fallout every since the first one. I also enjoyed playing Mass Effect. I would have to say Mass Effect because I played it all the time I dont play fallout as much, still not even lvl 10.
Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
I liked Mass Effect's story. I like the RPG elements of Fallout 3, the amazing atmosphere, and all that. Mass Effect was great for it's time, but I love Fallout 3.
makemeweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 makemeweak
Member since 2005 • 1137 Posts

Just my opinion.

Stucazzo
I agree.