Map Packs: Your Thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

It seems a lot of opinions are divided when it comes to map packs as DLC. Some people believe they are too expensive, while others see it as extending the life of a game they enjoy.

I personally see no harm in purchasing extra content no matter the price. People will go out of their way to spend an extravagant amount to whatever they feel has value to them. If people think $15 is worthy of four maps then all the power to them.

I enjoy Battlefield enough that I bought the SPECACT weapon skins, Vietnam, and the Onslaught mode. Everything was integrated well into the game and I never felt "forced" to buy any of it. Anyways, I would like to hear your opinions on map packs and why you feel that way.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Waste of money to be honest,Just look at the CoD maps they are dog dirt,They don't do anything new or special.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Biggest rip-off DLC there is. Having said that, there are people who are happy to overpay for things, so if a publisher can bump out a handful of quickly made maps for $15, good for them.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I just get them, do not care about people saying they are greedy. All companies are greedy, gaming is a luxury and luxury isn't cheap.
bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

The only problem I have with map packs is how they are Incorporated into playlists. Because they aren't free, developers can't really put them into the main multiplayer hoppers since not everyone will get them. This makes it so that they have to make DLC playlists which usually feature only the DLC maps, leading to playing the same 3-4 maps over and over again. Plus, these playlists dry up fairly quickly after the map pack is released, especially when another is released (there's hardly anyone on Noble DLC playlist since Defiant DLC came out for Halo). I understand that there was extra time and development costs incurred in making these maps, but I really feel that map packs should be free so that the maps can be Incorporated into normal matchmaking. If they really need to get money out of it, maybe find a sponsor and add the sponsor's logo on the game startup screens. I would much rather have that than not have anyone to play the DLC that I paid good money for with.

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

The only problem I have with map packs is how they are Incorporated into playlists. Because they aren't free, developers can't really put them into the main multiplayer hoppers since not everyone will get them. This makes it so that they have to make DLC playlists which usually feature only the DLC maps, leading to playing the same 3-4 maps over and over again. Plus, these playlists dry up fairly quickly after the map pack is released, especially when another is released (there's hardly anyone on Noble DLC playlist since Defiant DLC came out for Halo). I understand that there was extra time and development costs incurred in making these maps, but I really feel that map packs should be free so that the maps can be Incorporated into normal matchmaking. If they really need to get money out of it, maybe find a sponsor and add the sponsor's logo on the game startup screens. I would much rather have that than not have anyone to play the DLC that I paid good money for with.

bessy67

I agree

There should be some kind of way to integrate the maps into the playlist, and the only way I can see this happening is if the dlc's are free. Maybe they can sell the game for 80-100$ saying there are going to be 2 or 3 more dlc maps coming out, but I wouldn't buy that, it's paying way too much for something that isn't there yet

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
DLC are generally second-rate content they cut out of the main product in order to sell it separately later. This goes for map packs for FPS to extra quests for RPGs
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

bessy67

I like the sponsor idea. I remember when Gears of War came out with a map pack that was sponsored by the discovery channel, I believe. If companies don't like that idea then I guess they could put out their maps for really cheap.

I like the guys at Dice, makers of the Battlefield games, free maps unless it was substantial like the Vietnam expansion.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LustForSoul

[QUOTE="bessy67"]

xxKai

I agree

There should be some kind of way to integrate the maps into the playlist, and the only way I can see this happening is if the dlc's are free. Maybe they can sell the game for 80-100$ saying there are going to be 2 or 3 more dlc maps coming out, but I wouldn't buy that, it's paying way too much for something that isn't there yet

When I pick team death match on a non-dlc playlist in cod I still get all maps to vote on, including DLC. You just play with people who do have the mappack, all maps possible. So I don't see how it's not possible, it works fine.
bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bessy67

When I pick team death match on a non-dlc playlist in cod I still get all maps to vote on, including DLC. You just play with people who do have the mappack, all maps possible. So I don't see how it's not possible, it works fine. LustForSoul

Yeah but everybody in the lobby has to have the map pack, and that hardly ever happens.

Jdez15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Jdez15
Member since 2011 • 202 Posts

I think they are great, as long as developers don't shoot out horrible maps. There isn't that much to be mad about for map packs to come out, as long as the developers produce good maps.

Jdez15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jdez15
Member since 2011 • 202 Posts

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"]When I pick team death match on a non-dlc playlist in cod I still get all maps to vote on, including DLC. You just play with people who do have the mappack, all maps possible. So I don't see how it's not possible, it works fine. bessy67

Yeah but everybody in the lobby has to have the map pack, and that hardly ever happens.

I never have a problem getting into a "map pack only" lobby. When you think about it, most of the people will purchase at least one map pack, if not two.

SnipeyMcSnipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SnipeyMcSnipe
Member since 2006 • 2010 Posts

I really think they are just overpriced. Sure, they do extend the life of a game but they need to be cheaper. Basically to be updated with Black Ops costs a person $90. It's probably just because I'm cheap but I feel already paying $60 a year for online service then $60 for a game, something like a few maps should just be free or at least around $5. The sad truth is though that people are always going to buy it therefore they're always going to sell it. As hippocratic as it sounds I guess I would sell a bunch of crap too if people kept buying it, so I can't blame Treyarch. Overall I'm just unhappy with the whole situation.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Map packs used to be great because they used to make great new maps and sell them at a reasonable price but now they are def overpriced. Activision of course being the worse offender with $15 map packs which is crazy imo. Thw worst part being that everyone will leave black ops for MW3 when that drops and then you can start the cycle all over again. I will never buy one for that much. I liked how Epic handled the Gears 2 map packs though. All corners was a great deal but you wont see that happening much.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
I just get them, do not care about people saying they are greedy. All companies are greedy, gaming is a luxury and luxury isn't cheap. LustForSoul
Very well put. I'll happily pay $10 or $15 for content to increase my enjoyment of or expand my time with a game that I love. I mean, I've had lunches that cost more than $15...
therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts

why not include new weapons/camo/etc with new maps.
it would bring back life to some games.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Not a big fan of map packs, I find that they hardly add much onto the game. Think about if you played some other game and it just kept using the same gameplay modes, only with changing the map.
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
id rather have single player add-ons....the map packs for cod are over priced
G13RainbowSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 G13RainbowSix
Member since 2005 • 908 Posts

Idk why you guys hate on the COD mappacks so much. I agree that $15 is a bit much but the way I think of it is I get a new game (zombies) which provides 100's of hours of entertainment. Single zombie games can last well over 3 hours, and as a bonus I get 5 multiplayer maps...

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LustForSoul

why not include new weapons/camo/etc with new maps.
it would bring back life to some games.

therapyhiccup

And kill the balance? They'd have to adjust other weapons too you know.

raydog44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raydog44
Member since 2006 • 248 Posts

Overpriced for me. And i know there are people out there that will buy them no matter what but i will not be one of them in hopes the companiesbringthe pricedown to something realistic like 5 beanss. (ex. KZ3) I would be curious to see the numbers if a big game like COD did offer 5 dollar map packs to see how much moey they genrate vs 15 dollar map packs. I know I would buy for 5. My other issue is that i know all my friends will not buy them so what doyou do when you are playing with them and the new maps load.

redwingsfan387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 redwingsfan387
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Whatever makes people happy that's what I think. I'd recommend either trying to find a friend who already has the map packs and extra content that you're looking for before you buy it and ask what their opinion is if it's worth buying or not. Above all, if you're a person who buys a game simply to just sell it back to Gamestop or some other store, I wouldn't recommend getting any downloadable content, then it just becomes a waste of your money.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

They should not have us pay more than $5 for about 4 maps.

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

They should have us pay more than $5 for about 4 maps.

SouL-Tak3R

That's like $1.25 for each map :? Think about them, if you made the maps yourself how much do you think your hard work is worth? I'd say... at least 3 dollars per map, and that's still a really low payment I think :P

DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

The majority of map packs are a complete waste of money! the only packs I've ever bought are GRAW's new maps.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

DLC = content excluded from disc to sell later for extra money

bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bessy67

BLAS1AN

Not true at all...

The development of games would take so much longer if developers waited until every cool idea they had was put into the game before release. And if you really beileve what you said, then simply don't buy it. It's optional.

Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts
I personally think that games should come with a map editor now. PCs have them with pretty much every game. Alls they need is something similar to what Far Cry did and then we could just play anyones maps... Some people come up with some pretty amazing maps. If a company still wanted to try to make money off this they could release new tools or objects you could purchase.
grenadedodger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 grenadedodger
Member since 2011 • 36 Posts
I personally think that games should come with a map editor now. PCs have them with pretty much every game. Alls they need is something similar to what Far Cry did and then we could just play anyones maps... Some people come up with some pretty amazing maps. If a company still wanted to try to make money off this they could release new tools or objects you could purchase.dragonslayerssj
+1
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
a waste of money
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

bessy67

Not true at all...

The development of games would take so much longer if developers waited until every cool idea they had was put into the game before release. And if you really beileve what you said, then simply don't buy it. It's optional.

and thats what I do...not buy DLC. I agree not EVERY DLC is with held but I would not rule out that its with held on purpous. MS paid for the rights to release GTA DLC first as well as COD maps. That tells you that DLC is thought of and planned in advance to be released later for extra dough. DLC is now being used as a perk to buy a game at a certain store

Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"]When I pick team death match on a non-dlc playlist in cod I still get all maps to vote on, including DLC. You just play with people who do have the mappack, all maps possible. So I don't see how it's not possible, it works fine. bessy67

That's not entirely true. Call of Duty has a matchmaking system that puts all players with DLC in matches together. It only changes if you bring a party member who doesn't have the DLC or if somebody in the lobby invites someone partway through a game. It's been like that since MW2.