Major waste of money

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tom_delonge555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Tom_delonge555
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts

I know that nowadays with demos and all it's hard to blind buy games, but well, sometimes it happens. If you've ever bought a game blindly for 50-60$ and hated it, what was your reaction? What did you feel like when you realized you had just thrown away all that money? I recently went through this and I gotta tell you guys; It wasn't fun. Wasn't fun at all.

alber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 alber
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts
When I was gaming with my PS2, I bought so many games just to ''have them on the launch date''... some of them were bad and I should have wait the reviews... Example : Street Racing Syndicate :( :( Imagine what this 50$ could have been...
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#3 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

It sucks for sure but I have found that if you sell it right away on Amazon or Ebay you won't lose that much and then you can look at the money lost as being a rental.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I wait for my friend who works a rental store, if he thinks its good ill get it.

PrincePwnStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PrincePwnStar
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts

Red Steel on the Wii. I wanted a game to play on the Wii when it first came out. I thought the sword fighting and all that would of been cool....it wasn't...

hanzo225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hanzo225
Member since 2006 • 237 Posts

gta 4 that game was an abortion

DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
Onimusha or whatever it's called for the PS2. Launch date games are sometimes and impulse buy.l
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I got Hellgate London at launch - horrid bug ridden mess that was - eventually became playable only for the company that made it to collapse and take all online servers with them. Just glad I avoided the Founders Offer - to pay 100 quid (about $180 at the time) for lifetime subscription for online - it lasted about a year
Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts
Farcry 2
shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
yep, gears 2 and halo 3.
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts

Far Cry 2, only because I haven't played it that much. I still plan to finish the game later on but as of right now it seems like a waste since the price is a lot less than what I ended up paying a few months back.

MuscleCarMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 MuscleCarMan
Member since 2004 • 796 Posts

assassin's creed

armyman_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#13 armyman_22
Member since 2004 • 1492 Posts

If this happens to you the it might be your fault...for 60$ you should wait and or do the research. There arent many games I take back. I do much research on it and if im still not sure I just wait a couple days and ask around.

fm_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fm_coyote
Member since 2003 • 952 Posts

gta 4 that game was an abortion

hanzo225
*Places sign* "Please don't feed the Trolls kids"
Avatar image for a_beautiful_lie
a_beautiful_lie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 a_beautiful_lie
Member since 2003 • 507 Posts

I have a gamefly account so I simply rent any game that looks even remotely appealing without fear. It's really a good investment in my opinion.

Jehuty-88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jehuty-88
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts

I have done it loads of times, and i never learn. I think farcry 2 has been the worst tho, i remeber someone told me the guns could jam and get dirty, i went crazy and bought the game immediatly, only to find it wasn't that good and it got repeitive very quick.

-Rivfader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 -Rivfader-
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts

Hmm I pretty much like all the games I have bought on the xbox 360.

However the game that sticks out as my most hated buying decision ever and this was for the PC. It was Supreme Commander. Never in my life have I played an RTS that was so terrible as this. I even waited for the reviews and gamer impressions in stuff and bought it a week after it launched because they were all positive. One reviewer claimed it was the "next Starcraft", yeah what a bunch of bs. I even tried to make myself like the game as I was in an RTS mood at that point. I now know to avoid any game that is made by Chris Taylor. I then bought Company of Heroes and was satisfied and should have made that decision in the first place.

Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts

Fear... OMG the online was boring, and the story was alright, but the achievements were well unbalanced... even after I beat the game I thought that it was a waste of time.. I just heard alot about it, and the game play vids were great, but they never show the down side

qcmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 qcmatt
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts

army of two short campaign and horrible multi-player and gears of war 2 just play one week

Fogotmypantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fogotmypantz
Member since 2005 • 821 Posts

Halo 3 and BFBC

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I've done that before and it wasn't a good feeling haha.

spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts

Red Steel on the Wii. I wanted a game to play on the Wii when it first came out. I thought the sword fighting and all that would of been cool....it wasn't...

PrincePwnStar
I hear that, Wii was going to be my ultimate FPS machine. Then came the party games...soooooo many party games. 360 FTW
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dredg11
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts

I never buy games blindly...so no. But I did regret buying Halo 3 and Gears 2 once I was done with the campaigns. The multiplayer for both isn't worth coming back to.

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I never buy full priced games blindly
gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
I haven't bought a game blindly in this generation of consoles. With the way the economy is today coupled with the fact that games being priced at $60, I had to really look the game over big time and check reviews before I am willing to buy a game. I don't have a huge collection of games on my xbox 360, but I have started renting more games than I used to. It was a way to save money and play the games I wanted to play. I will say that I was close to buying FEAR 2. Luckily, I decided to pocket my $60 and rent it instead. Needless to say, I would have been disappointed if I bought it. It was a good game, but not worth $60. In the end, I have found most games to be that way. It sucks when you spend all that money on a game and don't like it. You know you could have used that money towards a game that you REALLY wanted. We all get burned on buying a bad game. Some more than others. I bought FFXI on my ps2 (along with the hard drive, the monthly fees, usb keyboard, and everything needed to play it). I thought it was going to be an awesome game. I loved Final Fantasy games. Just imagine it. Wouldn't it be cool to play a Final Fantasy game online with other Final Fantasy fans? It would be kind of like a gathering of people together who loved those classic games. We could quest together, level up together, talk Final Fantasy, fight those epic battles with the likes of Bahamut, Ifrit, and other Final Fantasy bosses. Instead, the game wasn't intended for the Final Fantasy audience. That was my biggest waste of money.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

I buy games blindly all the time and have never regretted buying one.

dermy_burns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dermy_burns
Member since 2008 • 194 Posts

GTA I THOUGHT THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVER I BUT AND I WAS FUN AND IN A WEEK-4 DAYS I COMPLETED IT THEN NOTHING TO DO WITH IT WALK AROUND CITY WOOOW A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dredg11

I buy games blindly all the time and have never regretted buying one.

Darkslayer16

By the looks of your gamercard, it seems like you even play games blindly. Hard to regret it.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dredg11

GTA I THOUGHT THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVER I BUT AND I WAS FUN AND IN A WEEK-4 DAYS I COMPLETED IT THEN NOTHING TO DO WITH IT WALK AROUND CITY WOOOW A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

dermy_burns

Stop posting in caps. Stop posting multiple topics on the same subject. Are you 10?

Wedge598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 Wedge598
Member since 2003 • 1263 Posts

The one that comes immediately to mind was Tomb Raider: Angle of Darkness. As a huge fan of the franchise I was sure I'd like this one as much as I enjoyed all the previous ones so I pre-bought it. Turned out to be a buggy mess and the only TR game I never finished.

Assassin's Creed almost falls in this category too as I paid full price for it at launch but found it a bit less exciting than I imagined. It's not a bad game and the environments alone justify the price tag but the gameplay was a bit repetitive and the story just wasn't very gripping.

Fallout 3 is probably the most recent disappointment for me. Not because it's a bad game, it's a fantastic achievement and one that packs a ton of value. The problem is I just can't get my head into this massive games and I lose interest after about 10 hours. I should have learned afterpurchasing Oblivion and failing to get into that one too.

tony_fjellborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tony_fjellborg
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

[QUOTE="dermy_burns"]

Stop posting in caps. Stop posting multiple topics on the same subject. Are you 10?

No, he is just retarded
gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
gta4...what a piece of s***
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#33 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
The Simpson's game was a waste of money. Then again, I have no idea what on earth made me think it would be worth sixty dollars.
Snrm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Snrm007
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts
never did this i always rent games before buying.......
Avatar image for Lance-Valentine
Lance-Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lance-Valentine
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I've got to agree with the others, GTA 4 was a huge let down, I definitely won't be rushing out to buy anymore GTA games on the launch date after that massive disappointment.

maingon2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 maingon2004
Member since 2005 • 551 Posts
GTA 4, loved the other GTA games but the controls on foot and driving were so broken, I could not have fun playing this.
Desperados11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Desperados11
Member since 2004 • 525 Posts

Perfect Dark Zero, I got it after a year it launched so it was pretty cheap but I only got around to playing like 2 missions and I hated it.

Soul Calibur 4, got this one on launch day I think, its fun sometimes but I'm definitely not the fighter gamer I thought I was. I get bored of it quickly and I don't find the single player aspect attractive. Because of this one I'm staying away from SF4.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dredg11

[QUOTE="shabab12"]yep, gears 2 and halo 3. zeblon123

dude......you suck at life. like serious just go die.

Why? He's right.

Gears 2: Once you're done with the campaign, it's useless. Multiplayer is completely broken and filled with glitches, and a community that abuses said glitches.

Halo 3: I could have kept playing Halo 2 and had more fun. With games like COD 4 and Vegas 2, I have no need for something like Halo.

But you're right, I should just go die, too...

Desperados11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Desperados11
Member since 2004 • 525 Posts

[QUOTE="zeblon123"]

[QUOTE="shabab12"]yep, gears 2 and halo 3. Dredg11

Why? He's right.

Gears 2: Once you're done with the campaign, it's useless. Multiplayer is completely broken and filled with glitches, and a community that abuses said glitches.

Halo 3: I could have kept playing Halo 2 and had more fun. With games like COD 4 and Vegas 2, I have no need for something like Halo.

just cause you did not find Halo 3's mp good doesn't mean it sucks. Loads of ppl prefer the Halo 3 mp over COD4. Neither game sucks, it depends on personal taste. Just like the continuous bashing of GTA4 which most ppl like and yet some ppl don't.
d-high29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 d-high29
Member since 2008 • 332 Posts

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

[QUOTE="zeblon123"]

Desperados11

Why? He's right.

just cause you did not find Halo 3's mp good doesn't mean it sucks. Loads of ppl prefer the Halo 3 mp over COD4. Neither game sucks, it depends on personal taste. Just like the continuous bashing of GTA4 which most ppl like and yet some ppl don't.

ya i like halo3 almost as much as cod4 and serously why does every1 seem to hate gta4

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dredg11

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

[QUOTE="zeblon123"]

Desperados11

Why? He's right.

Right. That's the beauty of opinion. It doesn't matter what other people think. I like what I like, you like what you like. That's fine.

What I'm saying is, someone's opinion isn't reason for them to "just go die".

My stance from the very beginning has always been that Halo is overly simplistic, and gets way too much praise. But if people like it, fine. It doesn't mean I'm gonna play it though.

Besides, how is how many people play a game a testament to how good it is? There are PLENTY of bad things out there that a lot of people do. See my sig, for one...Two, there's smoking...lots of people do it. Does that mean I should?

Popularity means nothing. If anything, often times, it means it's garbage.

Xtix123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Xtix123
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts
yep, gears 2 and halo 3. shabab12
I disagree with the halo 3 part, but gears of war 2 was a huge let down in the multiplayer department. I wish that stupid cliff blezenski (i think i spell it wrong) work on the game more so that it could be great, but nope, they (as in epic and cliff) have to rush it. Campaign was good though, horde was alright.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I use GameFly so I never have to worry about buying a crappy game. But if you have a PS3 you've almost definitely done this, since PSN games never have demos. I recently bought Flower and am still kicking myself for it. Never again
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

I know that nowadays with demos and all it's hard to blind buy games, but well, sometimes it happens. If you've ever bought a game blindly for 50-60$ and hated it, what was your reaction? What did you feel like when you realized you had just thrown away all that money? I recently went through this and I gotta tell you guys; It wasn't fun. Wasn't fun at all.

Tom_delonge555
This is why I hardly ever buy a game brand new, it's better to wait until you can get it for under 30. The only time I'll buy a game new is when I'm 95% positive I'll love it, like if it's a sequel to a game I loved. The last game I bought brand new was Gears 2; the other new game this year I'll wait until they go down in price.
Tom_delonge555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tom_delonge555
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts

[QUOTE="Desperados11"][QUOTE="Dredg11"]

Why? He's right.

Dredg11

Right. That's the beauty of opinion. It doesn't matter what other people think. I like what I like, you like what you like. That's fine.

What I'm saying is, someone's opinion isn't reason for them to "just go die".

My stance from the very beginning has always been that Halo is overly simplistic, and gets way too much praise. But if people like it, fine. It doesn't mean I'm gonna play it though.

Besides, how is how many people play a game a testament to how good it is? There are PLENTY of bad things out there that a lot of people do. See my sig, for one...Two, there's smoking...lots of people do it. Does that mean I should?

Popularity means nothing. If anything, often times, it means it's garbage.

I agree with most of what you said. I agree that Halo 3 is overly simplistic but somehow I love it. Love it to death. But popularity really means nothing, but just to share my opinion with you, I would tell you exactly the opposite thing you told us; With a game like Halo, I have no need for smthing like COD4 and Vegas 2. Especially Vegas 2. But really, the "just go die" comment was so immature. shame on you zeblon123.
RyanJ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RyanJ71
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

Killzone 2, I liked the game, but I really didn't like the multiplayer so I sold it on craigslist for 45 bucks :(

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Buying Final Fantasy XII. I played an hour of it and then never again.
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
I hate the feeling but then i instantly go on ebay and sell it.
lt_04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lt_04
Member since 2004 • 210 Posts

Rise of the argonauts- really short campaign buggy as hell.