Left 4 Dead GOTY Edition coming next month?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Did you guys know that Left 4 Dead Game of the Year Edition is coming next month on the 5th?

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74490

Well, I never got this game but now I'm interested. I hope Valve adds new maps and campaigns. There's 4 campaigns but 6 would be just right.

Anyway, do you guys know about this?

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

What is the difference between the two versions? It says there are only four campaigns in the description.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story

What is the difference between the two versions? It says there are only four campaigns in the description.

craigalan23
I have no idea. Maybe it's with all the DLC added, I don't know. I hope they add extras though since it will be $60.
DEATH775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 DEATH775
Member since 2005 • 4216 Posts
Well you should definitely get it, cause its really a great game.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I just googled it and it's pretty useless unless you want to save space on your HD..

"The Critic's Choice Edition of Left 4 Dead includes the original game as well as the Survival Pack, which introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode (Death Toll, Dead Air)."

The dlc is going to be free so is there any actual advantage to buying it besides space? Well maybe you get it a few days before it releases on the markeyplace because i'm not sure when the release date of the dlc is.

sLiPz1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sLiPz1984
Member since 2003 • 227 Posts
GOTY edition now with free dlc! Seriously they couldn't just wait until they released some new campaigns? If you ask me those 2 campaigns should have been included for multiplayer in the game before it shipped. That's one of the downsides to DLC. There's always gonna be companies that will put an incomplete game out because they know that they can always patch it up later. Perfect example: Gears of War 2.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

craigalan23
I'll bet it'll just have Dead Air and Death Toll in versus
phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts
GOTY edition now with free dlc! Seriously they couldn't just wait until they released some new campaigns? If you ask me those 2 campaigns should have been included for multiplayer in the game before it shipped. That's one of the downsides to DLC. There's always gonna be companies that will put an incomplete game out because they know that they can always patch it up later. Perfect example: Gears of War 2.sLiPz1984
That's just business. I hate the fact it happens, but it isn't like anyone will ever actually do something about it. Companies will pump out thousands of similar titles with franchise names and familiar faces with missing content just to charge extra for basic stuff. BUT because franchise fans exist the method will always succeed because as long as only eight idiots buy the basic content for extra charge they are just making extra money.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

wow thats sad so basically its the same thing? but yeah just a way to make a quick buk

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 joke_man
Member since 2005 • 1177 Posts

The DLC is free! Why is everyone going on about money, companies making decisions, etc. Unless you have a degree of some kind, you probably shouldn't be talking about big business decisions. A firm understanding means you sound less like an idiot..........

DJ_Redline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 DJ_Redline
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts

I borrowed this game from a friend and thought it was pretty good...Maybe I'll pick up the game of the year edition

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASK_Story

The DLC is free! Why is everyone going on about money, companies making decisions, etc. Unless you have a degree of some kind, you probably shouldn't be talking about big business decisions. A firm understanding means you sound less like an idiot..........

joke_man

I guess it's because since the DLC is free than there is no point in a GOTY edition. I guess it's just for people who never got the game. But I think Valve should budget price the GOTY edition since there is no upgrades or extras.

ceells87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ceells87
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="joke_man"]

I guess it's because since the DLC is free than there is no point in a GOTY edition. I guess it's just for people who never got the game. But I think Valve should budget price the GOTY edition since there is no upgrades or extras.

why should they lower the price of one and not the other. Its still the full game, not a sequel, and it's including the extra content with the original. Plenty of games have come out with GOTY editions that were the same price as the regular editions.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ceells87"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

[QUOTE="joke_man"]

why should they lower the price of one and not the other. Its still the full game, not a sequel, and it's including the extra content with the original. Plenty of games have come out with GOTY editions that were the same price as the regular editions.

Yeah but as an example, Modern Warfare's GOTY edition at least included 4 new maps which were sold for $10 as DLC. The stuff in Left 4 Dead are free for everyone, so that's why I'm saying there really is no point to a GOTY edition for L4D because people who purchase it are getting nothing new or extra in return.
newmanmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 newmanmaster
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts

I should probably pick this up if it comes out since i made the mistake of not buying the game yet. All these types of GoTY edition games are good for the people who missed out on the game and now have even more of a reason to buy it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Its good for people who dont own the game and who dont have xboxlive, but sitll want the new map(s) and the new mode for lan, etc..

For people who havnt bought the game yet it seems like the best bet.

The new mode sounds like good fun, the new map looks good and also having the two other campaign maps now available for VERSUS mode is awesome!

*also for pc owners we get the SDK for all the user made campaigns,etc..! Resident Evil3 and Dawn Of Dead here we come! hehe*

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="ceells87"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"] I guess it's because since the DLC is free than there is no point in a GOTY edition. I guess it's just for people who never got the game. But I think Valve should budget price the GOTY edition since there is no upgrades or extras.

ASK_Story

Yeah but as an example, Modern Warfare's GOTY edition at least included 4 new maps which were sold for $10 as DLC. The stuff in Left 4 Dead are free for everyone, so that's why I'm saying there really is no point to a GOTY edition for L4D because people who purchase it are getting nothing new or extra in return.

What about the people who dont go online or use xboxlive? The new updates/DLC is on the new LEFT4DEAD disc, so for new people who didnt get LEFT4DEAD before, and that dont have xboxlive, its perfect!

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
hmm. Its more interesting now. Might sway me into buying it :)
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I guess that is cool, for people that don't own it yet. I will just remain waiting for the DLC, although I know it won't be much. I am just dying to get my hands on some brand new campaigns now though, I have played the original 4 to death. I just hope they don't take too long to get some more campaigns out there.
Ironthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Ironthor
Member since 2004 • 129 Posts

So.... when does the DLC come out? I only waited like 6 months!

spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts
So now people without live can enjoy survial mode...what a shame Valve thinking of those people.
ceells87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ceells87
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="ceells87"] why should they lower the price of one and not the other. Its still the full game, not a sequel, and it's including the extra content with the original. Plenty of games have come out with GOTY editions that were the same price as the regular editions.kozzy1234

What about the people who dont go online or use xboxlive? The new updates/DLC is on the new LEFT4DEAD disc, so for new people who didnt get LEFT4DEAD before, and that dont have xboxlive, its perfect!

Exactly

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Not sure what the difference will be between this game and the normal version (except for DLC) but might decide to pick this one up.
zarathustra2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zarathustra2k1
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts

I can't recall _anyone_ I know who's bought L4D that doesn't love it like their firstborn; and now with the GOTY edition, there's the promised new content (in the Survival Mode) & finally, Versus for _all_ the maps. At the current price-point, it's _still_ cheaper than COD4 - a year-&-a-½-old game. I'd have happily paid more for L4D than was asked - I've had my money's-worth out of it several times over already. It's also the only game I've gifted via Steam...

Finally, & IME, I've found that haters generally haven't even played the game they're decrying. It cracks me up. :P

BlitZeN_NoVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlitZeN_NoVa
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

its exactly the same thing as the original, your not getting anything extra, maybe just GOTY on the cd case, the DLC is free on xbox live, theres no difference

BlitZeN_NoVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BlitZeN_NoVa

are you guys serious? you cant play this if your not online anyways, in the end, theres no difference, this is just a way to get more attention to the game for people to buy it,

all the people in this topic who say this is better than the original copy of the game have to realize that theres no difference,

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

are you guys serious? you cant play this if your not online anyways, in the end, theres no difference, this is just a way to get more attention to the game for people to buy it,

all the people in this topic who say this is better than the original copy of the game have to realize that theres no difference,

BlitZeN_NoVa
what? since when? im pretty sure there is an offline mode
BlitZeN_NoVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlitZeN_NoVa

the 5 shove thing is only for versus and survival mode, and those modes can only be played online. like i said before, theres no difference in the GOTY and the original, however IF im wrong, they will allow versus and survival mode to be played offline, which i doubt will happen

BlitZeN_NoVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlitZeN_NoVa

come on you guys, yes its true that the dlc on the original needs to be downloaded online. BUT!, the versus mode and survival can only be played online. so the only thing you are saving is time from downloading the dlc, which is still not over 5 minutes long to do. on the goty copy of the game, it will say versus and survival mode on the menu screen, but it will still say you need to go online (because its a online mode!!!)

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#30 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I used to have the game, but I sold it. I regret it!!! but the disk was faulty, so meh. I'll probably end up buying it again lol :P
DJ_Redline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 DJ_Redline
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts

L4D isn't just a game for Live, I bought it and can play it offline so what are you talking about?

Vance_009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Vance_009
Member since 2004 • 2005 Posts

just buy a used copy and then download the FREE dlc that's on this new disk.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

All the GOTY Edition has is the free DLC on the disc and all the title updates. Not a big deal. If you plan on playing it online you'd be better off just buying the regular edition and downloading the free DLC.

BlitZeN_NoVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BlitZeN_NoVa
if that was a reply to my comment. i meant to say that single player is the only offline mode. and the survival versus and campaign (the one which can be played with others) are online. its kindof dumb for l4d to have goty when its just the same as the original. maybe it saves a minute or 2 to download the dlc. either way the dlc can only be played online
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#35 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

l4d is already lowered price once. 49 at walmart was 59 ,

also once they put out the goty edition they no longer produce the originals

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#36 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Maybe this is for people without internet....

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

All the GOTY Edition has is the free DLC on the disc and all the title updates. Not a big deal. If you plan on playing it online you'd be better off just buying the regular edition and downloading the free DLC.

PlasmaBeam44

Unless people want to save some harddrive space.

MrsShinZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrsShinZero
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
The game is without a doubt worth buying, it's fantastic. Don't worry about only have 4 campaigns. Expert mode never gets dull due to the awesome AI. And, you can play the No Mercy campaigns 1,000,000 times and each individual time will be different because it measures your stress level and the game changes to accommodate that. The multi-player is ridiculously awesome as well. The game is definitely more fun playing with friends who know how to handle the special infected and who know the campaigns and the good spots in them. It's not a big deal if none of your friends play it though. I played versus mode alone or with my husband until our friends were eventually convinced that the game was worth getting. Now we can't get them to stop talking about it.