KINECT - air guitar or real guitar

This topic is locked from further discussion.

welshboy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 welshboy98
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

Have Microsoft missed somethinghere, when I was a kid I loved playing with things like, toy guns, guitars, tennis, etc. and this is what translates well onto the wii and ps move but wont it feel odd not have a controller with the kinect. what I mean is, it was better to play with a real gun ( toy gun ) than a gun you imagined in your hands, and i don't think this tech would translate as well in most genres

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

Well... I've never fired a rifle or an AK or an M416 or anything like that... but I don't think holding a controller in my lap while sitting on a couch is too close to the feeling of it. Even with the rumble.

I think the immersion of standing up and moving around while aiming with body movements will more than make up the lack of a trigger.

But that being said, from what I have played so far the Kinect wouldn't be able to determine the slightness of a finger pull to imitate pulling a trigger. Firing shots would have to be triggered some other way.

BUT, a traditional hack and slash with spells like Oblivion would work great, as long as they implemented free-movement controls, such as stepping forwards, backwards, and to the side to move, and turning your head to change angles.

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
I was thinking developers are going to be implementing a sort of hybrid of the two. For example in Guitar Hero/Rock Band we'll still use the plastic guitar but are movements will be tracked too, giving points for performance, etc. Also for shooters, we may see the return of the light guns. This combined with the motion tracking would be awesome for rail shooters like time crisis. Ducking behind cover, jumping to avoid rolling barrels or whatever.
Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Zcrimson07
Member since 2004 • 3493 Posts
I really think theres a lot of potential for a gun periph. that you can use with kinect so basically you play the fps standing up with this add-on and kinect could determine where you're looking and the shape of your body (crouching/standing/leaning) and also where the gun's pointed. I know this defeats the purpose of "no controller" but it seems like something I'd almost certainly purchase. tom clancy games in particular seem like they'd be extremely sweet. or gears (can you say curb stomp!?)
welshboy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 welshboy98
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

fair points but isn't that what the PS move is already doing. I know the tech is a bit more advanced with the kinect but the ps eye can still monitor body movement. i just feel if they released a wand style controller for 1 to 1 movement it would of had a killer blow over the other tech

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

fair points but isn't that what the PS move is already doing. I know the tech is a bit more advanced with the kinect but the ps eye can still monitor body movement. i just feel if they released a wand style controller for 1 to 1 movement it would of had a killer blow over the other tech

welshboy98

I don't know how the Kinect will do with another controller in the way of your body, unless the programming can be written that will let the sensor tell that you are holding the item specifically for the game.

Example...

My family and I were playing Joy Ride last night, and my 3 yeard old wasn't grasping onto the need of acting like you are holding a steering wheel. Sometimes he would spread his hands apart because he was so excited and stuff like that. He was doing okay in the game, but I went and got a steering wheel shell (from the Wii games) so that he could hold that in his hands while playing. At that point he started doing pretty bad.

When it was my turn, I tried using the wheel and the sensor wasn't really registering my movements too good. Pretty much not at all, lol. I think it confused it. It might not have helped that the steering wheel was black. I know the sensor has issues with black things. Maybe if it was clear...

DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DuaneDog
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts

I think of Kinect like the very beginning of what a holodeck is like in star trek. It tracks your movement accurately with no perceptiable lag in 3d space. with that comes tons of possibilities. I expect for some FPS games for example we may find ourselves holding the controller while using Kinect. So you could duck behind cover, dodge your head side to side, kick, run (in place like kinect sports), jump, and use throwing motions to throw a grenade. The voice commands could also come in real handy. But to shoot or move/turn your character you would use the controller. I could imagine a gun controller that has a small little joystick approximately where you would cock the gun in order to use your thumb to move your character through the adventure.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I was thinking developers are going to be implementing a sort of hybrid of the two. For example in Guitar Hero/Rock Band we'll still use the plastic guitar but are movements will be tracked too, giving points for performance, etc. Also for shooters, we may see the return of the light guns. This combined with the motion tracking would be awesome for rail shooters like time crisis. Ducking behind cover, jumping to avoid rolling barrels or whatever. daviwinn
Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the product though? Its like I heard people say that Nintendo should advertise the 3DS in 3D movies where people can use glasses. Why would you tell people to put on glasses, when the whole point of the device is to not wear glasses? Its the same with Kinect, if their constantly telling you pick up this and grab that, it defeats the purpose of touting it as "You are the controller" They need to avoid peripherals and controllers to prove the hardware. Think about it, I already paid 200 bucks for the RB gear, then I spend 150 bucks to add simply what, waving my hands, toe tapping or something? If the device just boils down to, "now you can turn your head, while you use the standard controller" its pointless.

^VR would be like the holodeck, I'm still wondering when gaming is going to try it again. It was all the rage in the early to mid 90's.

DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DuaneDog

[QUOTE="daviwinn"]I was thinking developers are going to be implementing a sort of hybrid of the two. For example in Guitar Hero/Rock Band we'll still use the plastic guitar but are movements will be tracked too, giving points for performance, etc. Also for shooters, we may see the return of the light guns. This combined with the motion tracking would be awesome for rail shooters like time crisis. Ducking behind cover, jumping to avoid rolling barrels or whatever. Sepewrath

Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the product though? Its like I heard people say that Nintendo should advertise the 3DS in 3D movies where people can use glasses. Why would you tell people to put on glasses, when the whole point of the device is to not wear glasses? Its the same with Kinect, if their constantly telling you pick up this and grab that, it defeats the purpose of touting it as "You are the controller" They need to avoid peripherals and controllers to prove the hardware. Think about it, I already paid 200 bucks for the RB gear, then I spend 150 bucks to add simply what, waving my hands, toe tapping or something? If the device just boils down to, "now you can turn your head, while you use the standard controller" its pointless.

^VR would be like the holodeck, I'm still wondering when gaming is going to try it again. It was all the rage in the early to mid 90's.

I think that your point is exactly why Microsoft has decided to launch with no controller integration at all. You don't need a control to have fun games, particularly for the family. You can expect big gains in areas like P90X and other fitness systems that will love to be on board with this. There are massive opportunities for fighting games. Adventure type games (ie myst), of course dance... but I think once the technology is proven and the whole idea of 'no controller required' is understood you will see controller integration. In fact Microsoft has already said that several times. It seems some people look hard to find out what you can't do with it and how it is limiting. I imagine a FPS where you have the controller in your hand but it is a big deal to just move your head to the left or right to shift in and out of cover, or use your hand to throw a grenade instead of just pushing a button.Then of course all the voice commands you could shout out or simply use your fingers to direct AI soldiers into positions. Like saying "Jerry... spread right' while pointing to the right with your finger. The beauty is that you can always hold on the controller with one hand while directing with the other plus moving your legs and moving your head. Sure some genre's will take work to integrate and I certainly don't think it is 'pointless' to consider a variety of parepherals as this technology evolves. You are walking through 3d space and getting all your primary body points tracked in real time. That is the break through and that brings all new possiblities. I can also say after hours of practice that Dance Central is going to be a big seller. It might be called 'casual' but I doubt very many gamers would pick that game up and finish it on the hard setting in under 40 hours. The moves are complex and take a lot of work to learn. Just like Wii Fit added a new parhiperal to the wii that was HUGELY successful that same possibility exists for Kinect. Once you get out of the limited thinking of Kinect can only be as good as it is today and can never have anything added to it will help you imagine the possibilities. Yet that is why some people are in creative fields and think outside the box and other people look for reasons things can't work and never will.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I think they might let you use some sort of plastic gun for shooters if that's the case, or a GH guitar but more emphasis on using your body while still pressing buttons. You're assuming Kinect has a disadvantage to the Wii/PS Move by not requiring controllers, but the truth is this thing will work just as well while using controllers. So I think this is a big advantage for the Kinect because you get to use both motion and controllers if there's ever a need.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts

[QUOTE="daviwinn"]I was thinking developers are going to be implementing a sort of hybrid of the two. For example in Guitar Hero/Rock Band we'll still use the plastic guitar but are movements will be tracked too, giving points for performance, etc. Also for shooters, we may see the return of the light guns. This combined with the motion tracking would be awesome for rail shooters like time crisis. Ducking behind cover, jumping to avoid rolling barrels or whatever. Sepewrath

As far as GH/Rock Band go, no, it doesn't defeat the purpose. Those games are made to make you feel like rockstars. And what do rockstars use? Guitars.. and drums.. and so on. By giving you the physical guitar to hold, it is better than holding nothing at all. Kinect can still help by making a good use of movements in the game and it can track you so that you appear on stage as if you're playing and you can pull off any moves you want. The game can even record the song and make a music video of it where you're shown playing/singing and it could be really well done. So no, I don't think it defeats the purpose at all.
DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DuaneDog
[QUOTE="wwervin"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"]

I was thinking developers are going to be implementing a sort of hybrid of the two. For example in Guitar Hero/Rock Band we'll still use the plastic guitar but are movements will be tracked too, giving points for performance, etc. Also for shooters, we may see the return of the light guns. This combined with the motion tracking would be awesome for rail shooters like time crisis. Ducking behind cover, jumping to avoid rolling barrels or whatever. daviwinn

As far as GH/Rock Band go, no, it doesn't defeat the purpose. Those games are made to make you feel like rockstars. And what do rockstars use? Guitars.. and drums.. and so on. By giving you the physical guitar to hold, it is better than holding nothing at all. Kinect can still help by making a good use of movements in the game and it can track you so that you appear on stage as if you're playing and you can pull off any moves you want. The game can even record the song and make a music video of it where you're shown playing/singing and it could be really well done. So no, I don't think it defeats the purpose at all.

I agree 100%. Plus lets not forget that vocalists in Rock Band could have their parts combined with dance steps and other movements as well. Intead of just having the little parts where you hit the mike to tap out a rhythm they could add dance moves instead. Even just playing that simple little kinect adventures game 'fix the leaks' it became clear that the potential for Kinect is absolutely mind boggling. To suggest controllers of all shapes and sizes or peripherals are somehow forbiden is absurd. In many ways Microsoft has created a new interface to media that reminds me of the kind of controls you see in movies where someone just flicks their hands around and points at things and talks to the system to make things happen.