Is the Xbox One tech improving?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Just wandering since it's pretty clear now the PS4 is slightly better than XONE in terms of graphics but does that mean they can/have improved the tech in the Xbox One? I haven't gotten a PS4 or a XONE yet so was just curious if they're now on par since they were released.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, the gap keeps getting wider as the generation goes on.

It's the usual case, as devs learn how to get the most out of hardware there's more to get out of the "other" console than the One.

There's no tech to improve. There's some drivers and software that can give a hand but at the end of the day nothing can replace brute strength.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

No, the gap keeps getting wider as the generation goes on.

It's the usual case, as devs learn how to get the most out of hardware there's more to get out of the "other" console than the One.

There's no tech to improve. There's some drivers and software that can give a hand but at the end of the day nothing can replace brute strength.

I've read some developers saying that the gap will narrow in the following years... but yeah, not sure about that.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I think it narrows when it is the lead console for developers also if they are willing to put more time $$ into development for Xbox 1.

I believe that Tomb Raider will be the first game to use DX12, and it looks amazing.

It's a wait and see thing.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: No.

The new 360/Xbone timed exclusive TR game has confirmed to have the similar Xbone graphic resolution issues that the last TR game had although over time there have been improvements with Rise as devs can optimize over the course of years. Imagine the resolution and frame rate Xbone struggles if Rise of the TR had been only an Xbone designed game, but luckily Rise is a cross platform game also releasing on 360 this year. The more taxing the graphics and hardware for any machine (Xbone in this case), the harder it is to hit the higher resolutions although TR is 1080p for portions of the game (gameplay aspects; link above).

There is no tech to improve. What you buy in the box is what you get. Overtime developers improve on these static console machines across the board, but that applies for all the machines. The tech is already set.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

PS4 and Xbox One games have always looked on par, and will continue to look on par. You cant tell the suble differences while playing them. If you were to go into a room and play a game then asked whether it was a PS4 game or Xbox One game you'd fail, like everyone else that has tried.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jaysonguy

@xxyetixx said:

PS4 and Xbox One games have always looked on par, and will continue to look on par. You cant tell the suble differences while playing them. If you were to go into a room and play a game then asked whether it was a PS4 game or Xbox One game you'd fail, like everyone else that has tried.

Completely false and is nothing but sounding like a Microsoft apologist.

They don't look on par and they don't play on par.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xxyetixx

@Jaysonguy: not completely false, I've played penty of the same games on each system now, mortal Kombat, madden, GTA5.

If you want to be delusional and believe PS4 games look amazingly superior go ahead, fact is they do not.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

@SolidTy:

It's 1080 way better than the last.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Having both a PS4 and an Xbox One, honestly they are pretty much the same graphically. As to whether the PS4 or the Xbox One games end up being better, that depends on which way of coding a game the developers ultimately feel more comfortable with. You can technically be more powerful of a system (PS4), but if no one likes or wants to code within your development environment you wont end up with a better game than the competition. Also, using blu-ray disc size for an example.. bigger is not always better. Yeah the capacity grew in leaps and bounds but so did the sloppiness of inputting resources if you ask me. If the disc were not so big (PS4 powerful) developers would have to trim the fat more and streamline their products which usually leads to a better performing game. Personally, (and again I have both) I prefer the Xbox One simply because I do. Regardless if the PS4 has a slight advantage hardware wise I don't really care because it feels better gaming on the One, I.e. the controller the online environment, the achievements, the system in general. This is also coming from someone who believes that "fun" is completely relative.

tornwingss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tornwingss
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Audio support Fixed? After all this time that xbox one has been available I still cant stream from the console and allow my viewers to hear the friends in my party. This breaks the console for me. My Xbox is basically just a glorified Netflix machine next to my PC, only because when I try to Stream with it on Twitch I sound like a weirdo talking to myself. I really had my fingers crossed that this update would fix the issue but no such luck. Even the competitor Sony PS4 has managed to get this right by giving people the option of allowing or disallowing their voice to be heard on stream. This backwards compatibility update is like a kick in the face because now titles such as Gear of War, and Toy Soldiers are available for streaming but I refuse to play them if I cant "properly" stream them with my friends.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@xxyetixx said:

In control tests people fail constantly, because the differences are minute, they're not dramatic in any sense of the word. You're trying to make the PS4 out to be this super computer where differences are glaringly apparent, well it's not and they are not.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

@nyadc said:
@Jaysonguy said:
@xxyetixx said:

In control tests people fail constantly, because the differences are minute, they're not dramatic in any sense of the word. You're trying to make the PS4 out to be this super computer where differences are glaringly apparent, well it's not and they are not.

It's not just sharpness, it's color as well.

To make up for it's deficiencies the One destroys anything close to realistic colors and contrast by making colors look like cartoons.

legaldruggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 legaldruggie
Member since 2015 • 61 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@xxyetixx said:

What do you do examine each game with a magnifying glass and count pixels? Every game looks exactly the same to most people. I guarantee if I put you in a room and asked which system a game is playing on, you'd fail 50% of the time at the end of the day because your decisions would essentially be guesses.

Clown,

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy

@legaldruggie said:
@Jaysonguy said:
@xxyetixx said:

What do you do examine each game with a magnifying glass and count pixels? Every game looks exactly the same to most people. I guarantee if I put you in a room and asked which system a game is playing on, you'd fail 50% of the time at the end of the day because your decisions would essentially be guesses.

Clown,

Yes, throw around insults when you don't have a working knowledge of the subject matter.

The fact you think this has only to do with resolution means you don't belong in this conversation.

In order for Microsoft and other developers to make up for deficiencies in the One's hardware it has to destroy any sense of natural colors and blacks. As someone who has two Ones and two PS4s under one roof it's instantly noticeable which console is being used just by looking at the screen.

You may have trouble seeing the difference between them and that's more of a sign you don't belong in this conversation. Perhaps a thread about the One's accessibility with people who don't see well.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

@Jaysonguy: I don't see a difference. Then again I just go with console that has the exclusives I prefer. Heck, the ps4 destroys my Dreamcast, yet I prefer playing the Dreamcast. The dreamcast can't match the ps4 s 1080p, it maxes at 680i I think. Lol

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

@godzillavskong: I enjoy you being here simply on name alone, now I must ask. Do you have both consoles where you are able to see the difference regularly?

I see a lot of people saying they don't see a difference but they're seeing clips on different streaming channels or maybe a video here and there.

legaldruggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By legaldruggie

@Jaysonguy:

Still don't buy the fact that you can tell the difference. Unless you try very hard to examine it and if that's the case you don't belong on gamespot, go to software/hardware geek forums to argue about this. You're the only clown that thinks the difference is not subtle. Difference in color LOL, probably your TV kid.

Do you also compare the size of the fans in the consoles? I'd love a educational tour about more irrelevant things. Enlighten me

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jaysonguy

@legaldruggie said:

@Jaysonguy:

Still don't buy the fact that you can tell the difference. Unless you try very hard to examine it and if that's the case you don't belong on gamespot, go to software/hardware geek forums to argue about this. You're the only clown that thinks the difference is not subtle. Difference in color LOL, probably your TV kid.

I feel bad that you think you're talking to the average poster, that's fine....

This is an image, see how the image on the left has colors and shadows you see in real life?

See how the one on the right has oversaturated colors and blacks that are screwed with so much they are a tar that covers up details?

Please take me up on my previous suggestion to test your eyes, because the longer we have this conversation the more it's becoming evident that you need help.

legaldruggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By legaldruggie

@Jaysonguy: I actually feel bad for you because you actually spend time looking for differences as subtle as these. It's really pathetic.

You proved my point with the pic. If you TRY to look and look closely, yes you can see a small difference. This is a subtle difference and most gamers don't give rats ass about something as unimportant as this when they're playing video games. A difference in graphics would be when you compare last gen consoles to this gen consoles. Not this nonsense.

As they say in my career field, the difference is not clinically significant. Your hypothesis is rejected.

Hey Bob I think I'm going to get the ps4 cuz the color saturation is slightly better than xone. LOL

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xxyetixx

@Jaysonguy: talk about someone that doesn't have any knowledge on the subject.

Get with @SolidTy he can show you or tell you in detail how to change the settings if you prefer the washed out look on Ps4 so you can see more "detail"

Last gen and even this gen most people prefer that color saturation as it's more appealing and catches your attention. Hence why they are set up that way.

For the PS4 being the better hardware and stronger, games are not overwhelmingly better on it. The systems are on par with each other with the exception of some pixels and or some frame rates. Sorry that's just the truth, no need to feel bad.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

@legaldruggie said:

@Jaysonguy: I actually feel bad for you because you actually spend time looking for differences as subtle as these. It's really pathetic.

You proved my point with the pic. If you TRY to look and look closely, yes you can see a small difference. This is a subtle difference and most gamers don't give rats ass about something as unimportant as this when they're playing video games. A difference in graphics would be when you compare last gen consoles to this gen consoles. Not this nonsense.

As they say in my career field, the difference is not clinically significant. Your hypothesis is rejected.

Hey Bob I think I'm going to get the ps4 cuz the color saturation is slightly better than xone. LOL

Typical apologist

The window is barely visable on the right, that fire is for all purposes not there.

Good try, try harder.

@xxyetixx said:

@Jaysonguy: talk about someone that doesn't have any knowledge on the subject.

Get with @SolidTy he can show you or tell you in detail how to change the settings if you prefer the washed out look on Ps4 so you can see more "detail"

Last gen and even this gen most people prefer that color saturation as it's more appealing and catches your attention. Hence why they are set up that way.

For the PS4 being the better hardware and stronger, games are not overwhelmingly better on it. The systems are on par with each other with the exception of some pixels and or some frame rates. Sorry that's just the truth, no need to feel bad.

No, I have all my TV's calibrated on the input that each console is on. The Xbox One oversaturates and crushes all the blacks, it cannot be adjusted. You can tone it down but that brings up more problems in the picture. It's like how people who aren't educated keep their TV on the demo settings because it's vibrant because it needs to compete with the florescent lights in the stores.

I love how both of you are arguing about facts. One of you think they're not there (just like that window) and you think you just tweak a few settings and you're good.

These problems are part of the Xbox One architecture, they are there to try to minimize those problems.

legaldruggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 legaldruggie

@Jaysonguy:

Let me get one thing clear before you carry on with these try hard arguments like a Sony warrior.

Xbox doesn't have any architecture problems. They are in no way ruining the gaming experience for anyone. It's just you trying to justify God knows what. Man if you were talking about PC vs xbox then I'd take you more seriously.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xxyetixx

@Jaysonguy: sorry man I'm done can't argue with ignorance.

Go head with your almighty Ps4 superior agenda for whatever reason.

Everyone knows the Ps4 has better hardware and can put out a better looking game. But the facts are and comparisons are out and I've played both. People are not getting a dramatically better experience on the PS4 with game visuals. It's just not there the differences while playing games in real time just aren't there. You can freeze frame and watch frame rate videos all you want. I've yet to see a game on PS4 that makes me go "wow that looks so much better".