Is The Metal Gear Collection Worth It?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

I dont have an HD tv, but I have also never played MGS games..well i played MGS4, thats all.

Would the MGS collection be a smart buy? My main concerns are that its too old to enjoy and , without an HD tv, they are gonna look ancient. Plus, that peacewalker is gonna feel limited because it was a portable game

What do you guys think?

Furanko_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Furanko_Kun
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts
It's a great buy! You'll literally spend hours trying to either get all the achievements or special items (for each game), plus you'll learn more about the MGS universe and how it all began. (Even though MGS4 did that and tied the loose ends) Also don't fret about Peace Walker, at most it'll look barren but I'll tell you something... Peace Walker was the most fun I've had on a PSP even without a second analog stick! Now that I do have it, I'll go through it again trying to outdo my 96hr PSP game save! Smart move all in all
Avatar image for valkyrusthewarr
valkyrusthewarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 valkyrusthewarr
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I dont have an HD tv, but I have also never played MGS games..well i played MGS4, thats all.

Would the MGS collection be a smart buy? My main concerns are that its too old to enjoy and , without an HD tv, they are gonna look ancient. Plus, that peacewalker is gonna feel limited because it was a portable game

What do you guys think?

ms555
I have every MGS game out. I recently started playing MGS3 Snake eater again. That game is from the golden age of gaming, they never get old. You will enjoy it if your a fan of the genre. Each game is unique in it's own, and trust me, if you like MGS4 you will go gaga over the collection. Heck, I'm buying it just because it's the HD version of the game and will look better. Collecting all the unlockables, replay value, amazing character design and detail for aged games, watching amazing stories unravel. But if your not into that kind of stuff then you may want to pass.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

if you haventy played them before def but if you have it may not be really unless your really dying to replay them.

BluesKing527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BluesKing527
Member since 2009 • 441 Posts
So I'm guessing your getting the bang for your buck? I have never played any metal gear solid game besides the peace walker demo for the PSP. what comes in this collection specifically?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
because it say HD on the box dose not mean you need a HD t.v... ALSO you can walk into a store and get a nice t.v for under 300. HH&greg is one my fav store for those big ticket items. sicker price is matched with others stores, Best thing is there employees get paid commission. SO they allowed to drop prices below other stores. IF you fine someone you know prepare for big savings. You go bestbuy, ect you won't get that If you want play a game go for it. it might be the best time to do so because of the updates to the older games.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
Are the earlier MGS games a lot harder/different than MGS4? I mean, I loved MGS4, but that's mostly because it was not all that difficult, at least on the Solid Normal difficulty...
samclockwise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 samclockwise
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts

I already have all the games but I think it is worth it if you don't have the game. I also think the 3d version of the Metal Gear 3 Snake Ear that is coming out in Febuary is worth it.

http://gamerview1186.blogspot.com

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
Are the earlier MGS games a lot harder/different than MGS4? I mean, I loved MGS4, but that's mostly because it was not all that difficult, at least on the Solid Normal difficulty...Essian
MGS2's European Extreme difficulty was insane veteran snake/raidan must die mode xD but they are kinda similiar with giving you at least 5 difficulties to choose from, so no worries there. On topic, I think its a good chance for people who missed out on them, and i fully recommend them to get it.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#10 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I never really played an MGS game before. But my friend got it a few days ago. I played it for a little while and thought it was awesome.
GallifreyDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GallifreyDog
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I've never played a MGS game in my life, but I'm really looking forward to getting this. I haven't played enough stealth games which is a shame because I like stealth missions in some games.
teacher4tc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 teacher4tc
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts

I have always enjoyed all Metal Gear Games Since Nintendo,

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

MGS3 is one of the greatest games of all time. It must be played!

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
It is definitely worth the buy.
gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
It's only worth it if you haven't played any of the games included, even if you have and you don't own them now would be a great time to. I've played the hell out of MGS2 and MGS3 and I'm not really too interested in Peace Walker too much so I don't think I'll be picking up the MGS collection anytime soon. It's a shame they didn't include MGS1/Twin Snakes maybe then I would've considered buying it.
sonic-boom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sonic-boom
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts

Does anyone have the collectors edition? I wonder if that art book is worth the extra $30 :?

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
If youve never played them then its still worth it but you will need to get metal gear solid (the psone game) seperately because I dont think its in there ... which is weird
darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

I'm renting it just for Peace Walker which is the only game in the main series (besides MGS4) that I never played. So yeah it's worth renting for me.

As for MGS3 that is definitely a solid MGS title and together with Peace Walker you're missing out if you haven't played those.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I did buy it and it's totally worth it. I'm playing the games rather slowly so that I can savor them.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
I wish the collection had a remake of MGS from the original Playstation...then it would have been a must buy for me.
BluesKing527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BluesKing527
Member since 2009 • 441 Posts
It doesn't have the original metal gear solid? Would I miss a big chunk of the overall story if I get this collection?
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

It doesn't have the original metal gear solid? Would I miss a big chunk of the overall story if I get this collection? BluesKing527

Yes you would. You wont understand much of what is going on in MGS2 without playing MGS1.

wolfbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 wolfbm
Member since 2002 • 630 Posts
I was curious about this topic myself I've only played MGS2 and I tried out MGS1..to me the controls reminded me of Resident evil 1 & 2 (tank controls). Im curious if im missing something or if the controls are improved with the new update?
ASunGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASunGod
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts
If your looking into getting into the series, then take a shot at it. I love the series, and I will end up getting it for Christmas.