Is the Deus ex story as good as the mass effect story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rawrB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 rawrB
Member since 2009 • 627 Posts

me is my all time favourite games, mostly down to the fact of the story i loved it, the story kept me playing the games . The deus EX HR game is the story as good ? in comparison to mass effect

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

i wouldnt say as good, but its still pretty good and worthy of playing imo

Stevelovessony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stevelovessony
Member since 2011 • 267 Posts
The story is great an the gameplay is far better than ME. You can sneak into buildings throigh sewers and climb through vents its sick
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Better than Mass Effect 1 and much better than Mass Effect 2. Gameplay is better than both too.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

The subject is cool. The story itself is sort of average. Great game though.

killer5555666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killer5555666
Member since 2005 • 2951 Posts
It's pretty good but kind of goes downhill during the second half. Nonetheless it is quite entertaining. I enjoy it more than Mass Effect, but that's just me.
TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#8 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

It's decent enough even if the "twists" are so obvious it's unbelievable... but doesn't benefit from a second play as there's no real scope for it to change based on your decisions.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
It is better than ME from what I have played of it at a friend's house.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
for me better than mass effect 1
ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts

Both games are different and are great.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Stealth/Action FPS

Mass Effect: RPG/TPS Sandbox

I haven't played any of the other Deus Ex games, nor any of the other Mass Effects. It depends on what you're interested in. If you're into government conspiracies (NWO, Illuminati and cyber punk), go for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you're into sandbox type games, Science-Fiction and RPG's go for M.E.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
Mass effect has a story??
cryceaye5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 cryceaye5
Member since 2011 • 1190 Posts

No where near as good as mass effects storyline. It has a good enough storyline but you can't compare the two.

Mass effects storyline is like an epic adventure into the unknown. Deus ex Human revolutions is like the ingredients to a pot noodle. It might seem complexed, but it's actually really simple. Plus the endings seem rushed and boring. So in all Deus ex doesn't really wrap up the storyline very well.

However it is still a good storyline once you understand it. It will try to make you feel like a bobbleheadbut it's just trying to cover up the simple concept of what it's all about. And ignore the pot noodle bit, i struggle to use the kettle let alone cook.

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
Mass Effect's story was boring for me, so I stopped playing after 2 hours of ME2. ME was alright. Haven't really played HR though.
bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

Mass effect has a story??BFKZ

You seriously don't think that Mass Effect has a good story? It's easily the best story in a game this console generation, with the only competition being another bioware game, Dragon Age: Origins.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
The Deus Ex story is far superior: - Mass Effect is basically: [spoiler] Evil sentient machines from deep space are coming to consume all life in the universe, only one man can stop them: Superman! [/spoiler] - Deus Ex goes more like this: [spoiler] The Illuminati, a secret society bent on secretly dominating the world through the centuries, are slowly implanting everyone with nanomachines used to control them. What are their true goals? Are they evil or is there a noble end to their schemes? What side will you be on? [/spoiler]
Mega_Hurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mega_Hurt
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Wow I'm almost convinced into buying this game.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
I sure hope it is better than me2 because I didn't like it
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Yes, i would say Deus Ex has a better story than Mass Effect.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
lol, is this a joke, no Deus Ex did not have a better story than Mass Effect, the gameplay is great, and the story is solid, but no way is it better than ME, for a great story, you need great characters, Deus Ex lacks that
cryceaye5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cryceaye5

lol, is this a joke, no Deus Ex did not have a better story than Mass Effect, the gameplay is great, and the story is solid, but no way is it better than ME, for a great story, you need great characters, Deus Ex lacks thatKeredsBlaze

Well said.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

lol, is this a joke, no Deus Ex did not have a better story than Mass Effect, the gameplay is great, and the story is solid, but no way is it better than ME, for a great story, you need great characters, Deus Ex lacks thatKeredsBlaze
Not a chance. Have you played any Deus Ex aside from Human Revolution?

Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts
I think that there is a gritty feel to the Deus Ex story that is perhaps lacking a bit in Mass Effect. Since it is bound in a very near future setting you can maybe relate a bit more to what is happening. However that said I think the Mass Effect story is much superior to Deus Ex. I felt the pacing was a bit off in Deus Ex. It feels like most of the game you're doing detective work on a contained event with the kidnapping of the scientists (though there are strong implications all throughout that there is a lot more to it than that of course). Then suddenly the terrible truth is unveiled and then the game is over fairly shortly thereafter. I thought that after the big twist there should have been more story to really flesh out the significance of this development and the ending was... not great
cryceaye5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cryceaye5

[QUOTE="KeredsBlaze"]lol, is this a joke, no Deus Ex did not have a better story than Mass Effect, the gameplay is great, and the story is solid, but no way is it better than ME, for a great story, you need great characters, Deus Ex lacks thatBlack_Knight_00

Contains spoilers.

I think you got to look at it this way. When people compare Deus ex to mass effect, which in my mind is ludacris, because the two are totaly diffrent games. What they are comparing it with is Deus Ex human Revolutions. And he is compltley right. To have a good storyline you have to input good characters that can keep up that storyline. Deus Ex HR has plenty chances to introduce exciting characters.

Some are exotic and not at all bland and distant, such as Tong and Hugh Darrow.But apart from that all you have is David Sarif and megan reed who are just along for the ride. Megan may play a big part on the basis of deus ex HRs storyline, but she is soon forgotten about until thevery end of the game where her role is insignificant. We never really explore adam jenson enough to care for the character,it's a simple factor this is just the person you're playing. You have a minor side mission which involves his backround and where he came from, which can easily be missed, so it's not a great deal of importance.

Now if you were to compare the original Deus Ex games to mass effect, which again is insane then you would find it hard. On one hand you have mass effect. The basic line is one man to save the universe. But it's not all that simple. Because along the way depending on how you act the story may not drasticaly change as of yet, but minor factors depending on your own experience will change. So it's diffrent for everyone who plays it. In which case the game has many variables. Not only this but yes you can read into it that it seems like a basic storyline, but it's not. It has been written so well that it's not just go here go there and save the day. It's a case of exploration and suspension, twists and turns, your choice. For instance it's like a film, may have a basic script but is written well. The storyline expands into diffrent complexed areas. It's not all just about saving mankind. And yet we have yet to experience the third installment which has over 4000 diffrent variables, and god knows how many endings. And in my mind this is why you cannot compare the two. Mass effect is one of the best RPGS with so many diffrent choices that can change the way you play the game, and the way you personaly experience it. Deus ex may have choices, but at the end of each game in the franchiseit comes down to 3 simple choices, how you want to end the game. Therefore your previous decisions aren't important with in the storyline itself. Deus Ex is not an RPG. It may use matriels plastered into an RPG but it does not make it one.

Now onto Deus Ex (The originals.) Being a cyberpunk game it's very succesfull considering it was about to be compared to perfect dark on the n64 when it was first released on the playstation. The story again is complexed and not so simple unlike its successor Human Revolutions. It explores originality to a storyline (With in reason.)that most games these days lack, which includes mass effect. It's all about the future of politics and technology. In which way you could compare it to minor parts of metal gear solids storyline. Obviously the two games are nothing alike.Deus ex 1 for examplemay not seem like a straight forward storyline but once again the simplicity is there. Find out which terrorist organisation is involved in creating the virus and why? Again it may seem simple but then the game is all about conspiracy theories. You wade threw twists and turns just like mass effect eventually to find out nothing is all it seems. However once again the ending sets out compelte simplicity and dullness where now you have to choose who will rule the world. Not exactly an amazing ending. However the original deus ex games does not lack character development which plays a huge part with in the storyline, and the main reason why it is so good and well written.

Overall the two games are good in there own way. Keywords "There Own way." You shouldn't really compare the two at all, because both games are set worlds apart.

-Ten-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Ten-
Member since 2003 • 7493 Posts
I enjoyed HR a lot better but I loved Mass Effect.
ZaketoX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ZaketoX2
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts
I thought the ending to Deus Ex Human Revolution was a bit of a let down, but the rest of the game is near perfection. Well, maybe not perfection, but its pretty fun.
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="KeredsBlaze"]lol, is this a joke, no Deus Ex did not have a better story than Mass Effect, the gameplay is great, and the story is solid, but no way is it better than ME, for a great story, you need great characters, Deus Ex lacks thatcryceaye5

Contains spoilers.

I think you got to look at it this way. When people compare Deus ex to mass effect, which in my mind is ludacris, because the two are totaly diffrent games. What they are comparing it with is Deus Ex human Revolutions. And he is compltley right. To have a good storyline you have to input good characters that can keep up that storyline. Deus Ex HR has plenty chances to introduce exciting characters.

Some are exotic and not at all bland and distant, such as Tong and Hugh Darrow.But apart from that all you have is David Sarif and megan reed who are just along for the ride. Megan may play a big part on the basis of deus ex HRs storyline, but she is soon forgotten about until thevery end of the game where her role is insignificant. We never really explore adam jenson enough to care for the character,it's a simple factor this is just the person you're playing. You have a minor side mission which involves his backround and where he came from, which can easily be missed, so it's not a great deal of importance.

Now if you were to compare the original Deus Ex games to mass effect, which again is insane then you would find it hard. On one hand you have mass effect. The basic line is one man to save the universe. But it's not all that simple. Because along the way depending on how you act the story may not drasticaly change as of yet, but minor factors depending on your own experience will change. So it's diffrent for everyone who plays it. In which case the game has many variables. Not only this but yes you can read into it that it seems like a basic storyline, but it's not. It has been written so well that it's not just go here go there and save the day. It's a case of exploration and suspension, twists and turns, your choice. For instance it's like a film, may have a basic script but is written well. The storyline expands into diffrent complexed areas. It's not all just about saving mankind. And yet we have yet to experience the third installment which has over 4000 diffrent variables, and god knows how many endings. And in my mind this is why you cannot compare the two. Mass effect is one of the best RPGS with so many diffrent choices that can change the way you play the game, and the way you personaly experience it. Deus ex may have choices, but at the end of each game in the franchiseit comes down to 3 simple choices, how you want to end the game. Therefore your previous decisions aren't important with in the storyline itself. Deus Ex is not an RPG. It may use matriels plastered into an RPG but it does not make it one.

Now onto Deus Ex (The originals.) Being a cyberpunk game it's very succesfull considering it was about to be compared to perfect dark on the n64 when it was first released on the playstation. The story again is complexed and not so simple unlike its successor Human Revolutions. It explores originality to a storyline (With in reason.)that most games these days lack, which includes mass effect. It's all about the future of politics and technology. In which way you could compare it to minor parts of metal gear solids storyline. Obviously the two games are nothing alike.Deus ex 1 for examplemay not seem like a straight forward storyline but once again the simplicity is there. Find out which terrorist organisation is involved in creating the virus and why? Again it may seem simple but then the game is all about conspiracy theories. You wade threw twists and turns just like mass effect eventually to find out nothing is all it seems. However once again the ending sets out compelte simplicity and dullness where now you have to choose who will rule the world. Not exactly an amazing ending. However the original deus ex games does not lack character development which plays a huge part with in the storyline, and the main reason why it is so good and well written.

Overall the two games are good in there own way. Keywords "There Own way." You shouldn't really compare the two at all, because both games are set worlds apart.

Thank you, now let's just appreciate both games for what they are, great games........yet ME2 is superior overall lol
Avatar image for planescapeshock
planescapeshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 planescapeshock
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Thank you, now let's just appreciate both games for what they are, great games........yet ME2 is superior overall lolKeredsBlaze
lol ME 2's story is mediocre compared to ME 1 & DX:HR. yes it has great voice actings, presentations, characters, but the MAIN storyline is tedious, cliche and predictable, the story falls very, very short of ME1. (not to mention for the streamlined rpg elements, linear-combats and more waifu-simulation/fan service) Back to the topic: as for the story, theme and universe, it was a matter of taste and preferences, ME is based on mainstream sci-fi universe & popular hollywood movies such as Star Wars, LoTR, Harry Potter. Deus Ex is based on cult-classic movies such as Metropolis or Blade Runner (Which arguably made the game less appealing). IMO Both ME & DX:HR's story aren't that great compared to the original Deus Ex. besides, which one do you prefer? a story based on saving humanity from the badguys with 'happily ever after' ending or a philosophical & thought provoking story which has 'gray' and 'blur' endings? as for characters, hell, all of Deus Ex games are based on a LONE-ADVENTURER RPG/Shooter just like The Witcher or BioShock. so that's why the characters aren't that engaging & involving compared to BioWare or Squaresoft RPGs which are more focused on squad-based RPGs like ME, Baldur's Gate, DA:O, Final Fantasy. unlike in BioWare games, the only playable character in Deus Ex games are Adam Jensen, JC Denton, Alex Denton. no squad/party members, no Tali, Garrus, Miranda, Ashley, Kaidan, Leliana, Alistair, Aeris, Rikku, Snow, Hope, etc.. which each of those characters has their own backstory and bring some additions to the story of the game.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#29 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

Deus Ex's story isnt as good as ME's story

xIREAVERIx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xIREAVERIx
Member since 2011 • 42 Posts
Both awesome games and story's but Metal Gear Solids story line is far better than both. :P