is realism in games not possible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hughami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 hughami
Member since 2009 • 1045 Posts

im confused, you got an article claiming that realism and life like animations isn't possible in video games, and i found this on the forum for skate 2 (im on there alot and get loads of crap from people because i voice my opinion on how i wanna see realistic physics which is totally possible right? i mean the developers decide how much gravity there is and if they want to add floating etc) and the dude who posted it seems anti realism in games lol. yet what about games like that crysis 2 i saw the pics for it and the graphics are mind blowingly realistic and detailed, or that game backbreaker with euphoria that makes each tackle diferent everytime, or those basketball games with realistic physics, the other day i saw a video for a racing game that had tons of realism in it and looked really complex. i mean whats the problem with having some realistic as possible games on the market? just because its a game doesnt mean it has to be all about doing stuff that is impossible in real life right? and personally i think a skateboarding game with realistic physics and animations would be absolutely amazing and people would be psyched on it, especially skateboarders like myself. anyways what's your guyses and gal's opinion on realism in video games and do yo think its possible?

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I think that there a lot of things to consider... for exemple, a skate game... walking in a skate in real life is better than doing so in a videogame, so in the game, it become a bit unreal to make it feel different and to add more fun... you need to put everything in the balance and see what are you looking for... this is just a very small exemple, but you could say so to a shooter, a adventure game, etc...

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It wouldn't be fun if it is too real. To say 100% real down to sub-atomic level? It is a long way.magicalclick

Agreed. Imagine trying to play a Call of Duty game on an absolute realism level. You start the level, poke your head out from cover and bam, you're dead.

imlolmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 imlolmon
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]It wouldn't be fun if it is too real. To say 100% real down to sub-atomic level? It is a long way.Legendaryscmt

Agreed. Imagine trying to play a Call of Duty game on an absolute realism level. You start the level, poke your head out from cover and bam, you're dead.

ha yeah, not even that but if you get shot once in the leg you wouldnt be able to run anymore either.

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

Realism would defeat one of the purposes of video games - escapism.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Hughami, I think you missed the point of the article. He isn't talking about realistic physics or consequences, he's really only talking about realistic graphics.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

or when playing gta , think of it where the cops never get off your back ,, lol

imlolmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 imlolmon
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

this could go on forever with a bunch of funny "what ifs"

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

tomo90
Not necessarily. Depends on what you want to escape from. Your life? Or reality in general? There's no reason you couldn't have games that catered to these respective dilemmas. Sometimes you might be in the mood to escape into some alternative reality where you're a race car driver or a spy or something. Other times, you might just want to escape reality altogether into some fantasy land complete with goblins and elves and whatnot. I'm still waiting for virtual reality......so much promise.......yet so little effort going into it.
impl0sion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 impl0sion
Member since 2006 • 851 Posts
Of course realism is possible, but it is the realism of a set sequence of events, no matter how many events may happen. e.g. the handling of a car in a racing simulator. True realism is the possibility of anything, as in ANYTHING. True realism would be the possibility to park up in a racing simulator, remove the wheel nuts from your car and consume them through your anus. THAT is why video games will never reach true realism, because in real life, if you were that way inclined, you could do that. (with great difficulty and a lot of vaseline)
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]It wouldn't be fun if it is too real. To say 100% real down to sub-atomic level? It is a long way.imlolmon

ha yeah, not even that but if you get shot once in the leg you wouldnt be able to run anymore either.

Well, at least you would get the Purple Heart achievement and be shipped home, so I guess that's kinda winning the game...sorta...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

tomo90

Couldnt have said it better myself.

oOGhostboyoO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 oOGhostboyoO
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts
tETS DRIVE UNLIMITED SO REALISTIC
ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ieatnoobs18
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts
Realistic shooters would stink. CoD hardcore is as realistic as i can take. I would like it though, if you get shot in the arm, your aiming is worse, or if you get shot in the leg slower run speeds, etc. Anyone else like this idea?
hughami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hughami

[QUOTE="tomo90"]

seankane

Not necessarily. Depends on what you want to escape from. Your life? Or reality in general? There's no reason you couldn't have games that catered to these respective dilemmas. Sometimes you might be in the mood to escape into some alternative reality where you're a race car driver or a spy or something. Other times, you might just want to escape reality altogether into some fantasy land complete with goblins and elves and whatnot. I'm still waiting for virtual reality......so much promise.......yet so little effort going into it.

good point lol, heres a link to the thread (im BR3T35H M13 as you can see im getting a load of **** lol)

MrsShinZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrsShinZero
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Personally I'd like a little more realism in games. I loved Mirror's Edge. But I hated little things like accidentally walking (not running) off of a ledge, when a real person would never do something like that, for example. Depending on the game too much would be a bad thing. I wouldn't want a game to stress me out. Should there be some 100% realistic games on the market? Absolutely, I'd give it a shot. I love the sense of accomplishment that comes from completing those tough achievements and it would do the same thing for me.
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

it doesn't claim that realism is impossible...it says that we will achieve realistic graphics in 10-15 years. The author isn't talking about physics either...they are talking about graphics. Games today have great graphics, but it still doesn't look real. It's still a long way until we can't tell the difference between video games and actual footage.

ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ieatnoobs18
[QUOTE="hughami"]

[QUOTE="seankane"][QUOTE="tomo90"]

good point lol, heres a link to the thread (im BR3T35H M13 as you can see im getting a load of **** lol)

Wow, you got pwned on that thread.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 seankane

[QUOTE="seankane"][QUOTE="tomo90"]

hughami

Interestingly enough, you've got EXACTLY 2000 posts in that forum, and EXACTLY 1000in this one!

If you reply, you ruin it. :P

ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ieatnoobs18
[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="hughami"]

Not necessarily. Depends on what you want to escape from. Your life? Or reality in general? There's no reason you couldn't have games that catered to these respective dilemmas. Sometimes you might be in the mood to escape into some alternative reality where you're a race car driver or a spy or something. Other times, you might just want to escape reality altogether into some fantasy land complete with goblins and elves and whatnot. I'm still waiting for virtual reality......so much promise.......yet so little effort going into it. seankane

Interestingly enough, you've got EXACTLY 2000 posts in that forum, and EXACTLY 1000in this one!

If you reply, you ruin it. :P

I just COL'd
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 seankane

[QUOTE="hughami"]

[QUOTE="seankane"] Not necessarily. Depends on what you want to escape from. Your life? Or reality in general? There's no reason you couldn't have games that catered to these respective dilemmas. Sometimes you might be in the mood to escape into some alternative reality where you're a race car driver or a spy or something. Other times, you might just want to escape reality altogether into some fantasy land complete with goblins and elves and whatnot. I'm still waiting for virtual reality......so much promise.......yet so little effort going into it. ieatnoobs18

Not really. It was just a bunch of close-minded internet tough guys picking on him and his perfectly reasonable comments.

ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ieatnoobs18
[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"][QUOTE="hughami"]

Not really. It was just a bunch of close-minded internet tough guys picking on him and his perfectly reasonable comments.

Was that sarcasm or not?
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 seankane

[QUOTE="seankane"]

[QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"] Wow, you got pwned on that thread.ieatnoobs18

Was that sarcasm or not?

No....

Anyways, I'm not gonna argue over whether some stranger got 'pwned' on some past topic on another forum! hehe

hughami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hughami

[QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"][QUOTE="seankane"]

seankane

Was that sarcasm or not?

No....

Anyways, I'm not gonna argue over whether some stranger got 'pwned' on some past topic on another forum! hehe

i no im wrong alot and dont know what im talking about but yeah there are alot of close minded people on there.
Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts

or when playing gta , think of it where the cops never get off your back ,, lol

mariokart64fan
In real life you would run out of cops to kill and if you somehow managed to kill all the cops the National Guard would probably be hot on your ass.
Cjtodd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Cjtodd5
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Think about it this way: If GTA IV was 100% realistic, when the cops shot you in the head, the game would be over. There would be no cheat codes, which would suck, and no real special effects. It just wouldn't be fun to play if it was 100% realistic. Now, im all for adding a little more realism to the games. It would be cool if you could get shot in the leg and have a limp, shot in the arm and not be able to use it, e.t.c.

Apoc_1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Apoc_1987
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

you lost me when you guys started talking about bisexual harold.

lol @ internet beefs